FL - Reagan Buckley, 18 mos, dies in hot car, Panama City, 2 June 2015

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Am I the only weirdo who talked, sang, told stories to my littles when they were in the car?

Am I the only weirdo who talked, sang, told stories to my littles when they were in the car?

I agree. I do find it very odd that a parent can totally forget that their baby is there with them. I was always aware of their presence in the car, ---are they asleep, happy, tired, grumpy, hungry? It is hard to imagine just completely forgetting them as I lock up the car. So tragic.

There are so many parents that actively kill their children and are not prosecuted or get a very lenient punishment, I think we should focus son them if we feel in a vengeful mode.

I agree. I do find it very odd that a parent can totally forget that their baby is there with them. I was always aware of their presence in the car, ---are they asleep, happy, tired, grumpy, hungry? It is hard to imagine just completely forgetting them as I lock up the car. So tragic.
I find it unbelievable also, especially leaving the poor baby in the hot car ALL DAY while she was at work teaching other children! Aside from burning to death in a fire, being trapped in a hot car would have to be one of the most unbearable ways to die.

:cry:

So sorry, dear little Reagan :rose:

Since we ALL have heard so much about these tragedies, imo, it is no longer 'acceptable' to make this dreaded mistake. There is no longer an excuse not to do something simple to prevent it. But your purse in the backseat by the baby, or put the baby bag or teddy bear in the front seat, where u will see it when you park. IT IS THAT SIMPLE!!!!!!!!

She is a teacher. Didn"t she have to gather up stuff from her car to take inside? How could she not glance in the back seat?

IMO, it's not an accident. The person is either: 1. Mood altered. 2. Mentally ill. 3. Wanted to get rid of the child but unwilling to do the beating, etc.
It is a clean way to get rid of what a selfish person would see as the problem, gain sympathy, and maybe get on without delay.
If you are afraid you might have this happen to you one day, go to rehab and get straight, go to the psych doc and get your meds fixed and take 'em, or quit your job. If that is not possible, put the child up for adoption.

There are so many parents that actively kill their children and are not prosecuted or get a very lenient punishment, I think we should focus son them if we feel in a vengeful mode.

IMO, this child was actively killed by its mother.

FWIW, I don't believe this lady intended to forget her child or harm her. However, most drunk drivers don't intend to harm anyone and we put them in jail. A lot of people don't want these parents put in jail because they have already suffered one of the worst punishments on earth. But, where is the justice for the victims? Do they not deserve their day in court just like any other citizen?

It makes it sound like death by neglect is so much better than a quick violent death.

IMO, it's not an accident. The person is either: 1. Mood altered. 2. Mentally ill. 3. Wanted to get rid of the child but unwilling to do the beating, etc.
It is a clean way to get rid of what a selfish person would see as the problem, gain sympathy, and maybe get on without delay.
If you are afraid you might have this happen to you one day, go to rehab and get straight, go to the psych doc and get your meds fixed and take 'em, or quit your job. If that is not possible, put the child up for adoption.

ITA!
I don't get these "baby dies after being left in hot car" cases either. Seems to me those who do this make sure they themselves are comfortable while driving, so how can they forget their children? Have there been any cases where it was freezing out and these people left their children in the car? I'm curious cause I always hear about the "left in hot car" and wonder if there's been any "left in freezing car" cases. I just don't get it, and suspect many may not be "accidents". And how does one go all day without remembering their baby??

I'm not a mother. But some days, especially if I'm on call at work and get a crisis I'm dealing with on the way out the house/car/etc I would lose my head if it wasn't attached. I am VERY forgetful. Like, I would probably accidentally leave my kid at home and not even make it to the car. If it's not written on my hand I forget. That being said I have a mental illness and have trouble focussing but I'm not her and I don't know the whole story. It's such a tragedy. Whether it is due to the demands of a working mother or a killer. But I'm not going to say I could never forget my kid in the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have never even come close to leaving any of my 6 kids in the car when they were babies or toddlers, nor have I ever come close to leaving one of my dogs in the car. However, after all my kids were grown and some had families of their own, one day I took a toddler grandbaby with me shopping during a rare occasion when I was babysitting him. I wasn't used to the little one being with us and he was totally quiet in the car. We got out of the car at the store and automatically shut and locked the doors. I just started to walk away from the car when it hit me and I yelled to my husband, "Oh my God! the baby is still in the car!" I hadn't gotten more than a couple of feet from the car but it sure scared me! I never made that mistake again. Of course, the baby was just happily sitting in his car seat not even realizing that anything out of the ordinary was going on.

I'm not a mother. But some days, especially if I'm on call at work and get a crisis I'm dealing with on the way out the house/car/etc I would lose my head if it wasn't attached. I am VERY forgetful. Like, I would probably accidentally leave my kid at home and not even make it to the car. If it's not written on my hand I forget. That being said I have a mental illness and have trouble focussing but I'm not her and I don't know the whole story. It's such a tragedy. Whether it is due to the demands of a working mother or a killer. But I'm not going to say I could never forget my kid in the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm the biggest ditz in the world and I've never done it.

Oh no, not again. I can't believe this.

It will keep happening until it is treated as the crime that it is. You would get in more trouble for leaving a baby in an air-conditioned home all day, where he or she actually had a fighting chance to survive! What makes a CAR such a magical "get-out-of-jail-free" card, FGS? I'm sorry if she made a "mistake," but it was a bad one, where somebody died. If she did it to someone else's kid she'd be charged. Why is it a crime when you do it to someone else's kid but not when you do it to your own??

BBM. I feel in a justice-seeking mode.

This is awful and there really is no excuse. Forgetting your own child for an entire day? This is certainly death by neglect and should be punished as such. And however remorseful and agonised the mother may feel - she'll probably never forgive herself - she still needs serious jail time for this. And if she truly does recognise the horror of what she has done, she herself will recognise and feel in her heart that she deserves to be punished for it.

Certainly, we can never let such crimes go unpunished. Otherwise any potential evil parent who just wants to get rid of their kid without consequences could choose a hot day to "accidentally" leave their kid in the car.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back