FL FL - Reny Jose, 21, Panama City Beach, 3 March 2014

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
When I was in high school, and during my first year of college, my friends and I always went to PCB for summer vacations (and we went for our Senior trip). It has always been quite the little party town, though in recent years, they've tried to make it a bit more "family friendly" by tearing down run down motels/hotels and building condos, etc. It's not unusual for a huge group of people to rent a house like they did and share the cost. Now that reports have come out about the LSD and stuff, (IF true) I'm worried he might have stripped out of his clothes and went into the ocean. :( The only thing that doesn't make sense to me would be his belongings being found in the trash. I could see Reny stripping himself down, but would he take the time to toss them in the trash?

I pray they find him soon and that he's just recovering from a hangover or something at a nearby hotel/house or something.

The actual information about LSD came from the Houston Chronicle, so you don't have to worry about the Mail as the source.

http://m.chron.com/news/houston-tex...-vanishes-on-spring-5290174.php#photo-5979476

Still if he was high and stripped naked, you would think that would've attracted some notice but maybe not Spring Break? Would there be lifeguards out on the beach at that time of day? Sounds like the water was cold enough no one was out in it.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

I was wondering about people seeing him too, but I just realized that spring break around here isn't until the end of this month. I'm not sure when it is for schools in Florida, but usually it's around the same time. There may not be as many people there yet, I'm not really sure. I wouldn't think many people would be in the water, but I would assume some people might be sitting/walking on the beach?

I was wondering about people seeing him too, but I just realized that spring break around here isn't until the end of this month. I'm not sure when it is for schools in Florida, but usually it's around the same time. There may not be as many people there yet, I'm not really sure. I wouldn't think many people would be in the water, but I would assume some people might be sitting/walking on the beach?

I was searching twitter looking for any mentions of someone acting crazy or naked or high in pcb - crazy I know but I figured if a college kid saw someone like that they might tweet about it... In any case, from the many pics and tweets I found it would seem spring break is already underway for some students and they're in pcb in force. Many others tweeting about the coming weeks as well.

He could have gone in the water. There's the ocean and a lot of other pockets of water from the looks of it.
The human body is more buoyant in Salt water than fresh... I don't know. The water is cold but if he was altered... Don't know.

The other possibility is that something else happened and the LSD story is a lie... But like others I have a hard time imagining someone would take the time to separate him from his belongings in the course of foul play...

seems like so many reports I have read about lately here start off as no "foul play suspected".

And oddly enough, the last 2 I am thinking of did NOT turn out to be foul play, so there's that. I think most of us were pretty suspicious in at least one of those. I agree, it is odd to say so soon with (seemingly) so little information.

The "no foul play" thing could be to stop wide-spread panic within an area filled with tourists and also to give the impression "nothing to see here folks, keep on partying and spending" if you know what I mean.

JMO, spring breakers are not likely to change their plans due to an isolated incident, even if it were foul play. But it just seems unlikely to me...maybe for the wrong reasons, but he looks like he could take of himself, for instance. And if he DID take LSD or something like it, he may well have gone into the water. JMO

This is from the Daily Mail which is not the most accurate site but it has information I had not heard before.

"Massive search underway for college student, 21, who vanished on spring break 'after taking LSD and saying he wanted to hurt himself"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...dent-21-vanished-spring-break-taking-LSD.html

:eek: If that's true, why on earth did they wait until 11 the next morning to report him missing??!! Oh nooooo.....And that would explain him talking off his clothes himself if he were on a bad trip. Did they leave him by himself? Okay, I can't jump to conclusions, it is after all the Daily Mail. But it would explain a lot.

:eek: If that's true, why on earth did they wait until 11 the next morning to report him missing??!! Oh nooooo.....And that would explain him talking off his clothes himself if he were on a bad trip. Did they leave him by himself? Okay, I can't jump to conclusions, it is after all the Daily Mail. But it would explain a lot.

Again, those statements regarding LSD and self harm were taken from an updated article in the Houston Chronicle... That was the source of the Mail info.

Again, those statements regarding LSD and self harm were taken from an updated article in the Houston Chronicle... That was the source of the Mail info.

Oops, sorry about that, my mistake. That's what I get for posting before I finish reading all the posts. I usually try not to do that :blushing:.

I was searching twitter looking for any mentions of someone acting crazy or naked or high in pcb - crazy I know but I figured if a college kid saw someone like that they might tweet about it... In any case, from the many pics and tweets I found it would seem spring break is already underway for some students and they're in pcb in force. Many others tweeting about the coming weeks as well.

He could have gone in the water. There's the ocean and a lot of other pockets of water from the looks of it.
The human body is more buoyant in Salt water than fresh... I don't know. The water is cold but if he was altered... Don't know.

The other possibility is that something else happened and the LSD story is a lie... But like others I have a hard time imagining someone would take the time to separate him from his belongings in the course of foul play...

BBM That's a great idea, docbh. Thanks for checking twitter.

I could imagine a hard working Rice University student, under a lot of stress, wanting to cut loose during Spring Break and trying LSD. Maybe it was the first time he'd done it and he had a bad trip. But why would his friends abandon him? LSD isn't a drug you do by yourself, people had to have been with him. Back when I was young and stupid I tried LSD once (NEVER did it again) and had a horrible trip. I kept seeing the devil and thought he was trying to get me. I was trying to run out into the streets, climb trees, etc. I even was trying to call the police. Could you imagine that phone call to the cops? The devil is after me! My friends had to hold me down and hide all the phones. But they never left my side.

This honestly (and sadly) seems like a plausible explanation of what could have happened to him. And it may explain why they didn't call to report him missing until 11 the next morning, maybe they were all taking it and needed time to come down.

A little more information in this article, not much though. Pretty much more of the same.

http://www.newsherald.com/news/crim...ut-search-for-missing-spring-breaker-1.287056

A man at the home identified himself as Jose’s father and declined to speak with reporters. He appeared upset as he left the home with several adults.

They all drove away in a minivan as about a dozen members of Bay County Search and Rescue lingered in the home’s driveway with their dogs. A few minutes later, the search and rescue team left the home as well.

According to a police report, a man who had been staying with Jose said the Rice University student had taken LSD, an illegal drug known to cause users to hallucinate and behave unpredictably, and spoken of committing suicide on Monday, and he’d also taken LSD the day before that.

I'm still thinking he put the clothes there himself.
If indeed the rumours of taking LSD are true he wouldnt be thinking rationally
imo.

Kind of odd that they waited that long to report him missing, unless he told them he was going out and not to wait up or something like that. Curious to know under what circumstances he left... after a fight? just to take a walk? Had he talked to someone on the phone prior?

The clothes and personal belongings in the trash sounds very ominous - I am assuming they are referring just to whatever clothes he was wearing and whatever he might've had on him at the time - cell phone, wallet, keys, etc. Obviously important to know what was found, but LE seems to be holding it close to the vest, which is understandable. Surprising his friends "found" the items in a trash can unless it was obvious or very close to the house.

I'm torn. On the one hand, I can't imagine he came to harm and someone separated him from his clothes / items, but I suppose it is possible. On the other hand, if he was looking to disappear, changing his clothes and getting rid of his cell phone (assuming it was found with the "personal belongings") as it would've enabled him to be tracked would be the first order of business. He was an engineering student, he likely would've known such things.

For those of you unfamiliar with Rice, it is a relatively small private college in Houston that is quite selective and full of very bright, very elite students. It can be a very high pressure environment. I can think of one other instance a few years ago where a student disappeared right before finals and turned up in Berkley, California. Just starting out on spring break, you would think it would be relaxing and free from stress but who knows.

I am hoping for Reny's sake that he hasn't met with foul play but perhaps decided for whatever reason to walk away. I hope for his family and friend's sake he resurfaces and lets them know he is ok. Lots of possibilities with this one, he needs to be found.

Its spring break! Its wild ! Spring break is not relaxing stress free vacation lol .

Until I know more, I will consider that there is a chance he put his belongings in the trash... I do not know if it would be for safe keeping... but the possibility exists that he did place them there

And Welcome flyby

I think if he was hiding his things it would not be a trash can he would maybe hide it in the bushes. JMO

Why didn't his FRIEND follow him and make sure he didn't harm himself!

Young adults at that age are often times selfish and too self-involved to really see when others are truly hurting or are in need of help. :/

Young adults at that age are often times selfish and too self-involved to really see when others are truly hurting or are in need of help. :/

I totally agree. I'm not trying to place blame on anyone, but at that age and on spring break, they probably just didn't take him that seriously. They might have said something like, "C'mon, man, we're on spring break... have fun and don't think about stuff like that." Also, if he WAS taking LSD, he wasn't the only one, IMO. If the others were doing drugs too, they probably weren't in their right mind either, at the time.

I'm hoping for a positive outcome, but I just have a bad feeling. :(

http://www.wjhg.com/home/headlines/Reny-Joses-Family-Concerned-with-Officials-Search-248877781.html

The Jose Family has release the following statement:

"The family of Rice University student, Reny Jose, would like to thank family, friends, the Bay County Sheriff's department, and the public for their continual support during this very difficult time.

Upon reaching Panama City, the family has begun searching for Reny and must express deep concern that every effort is not being made to help find him.

We are hopeful that with more aid and resources, the search can be expanded and will be successful.

Reny is a wonderful, loving person who is doted on by his entire family. Despite the recent allegations regarding a drug incident, Reny's 4.0 GPA in his engineering program suggests otherwise.

We desperately just want him home and urgently plead with all of Panama City for their help."

Heart-wrenching statement by his family. I hope he is found safe..........praying for them.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edlynch
Back