FL - Ryan Rogers, 14, fatally stabbed, Palm Beach Gardens, 16 Nov 2021 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Yeah, I think we're going to see him sent to the State hospital indefinitely. He's clearly disoriented at his appearance.
And that in itself is part of the problem. It's very easy for the court to rule on incompetent to proceed to trial but not so easy to win guilty by reason of insanity. I think this case can demonstrate the suspect knows the difference between right and wrong, was capable of determining how to get to PBG, and immediately depart after committing the heinous act. And some of his YT videos are probably demonstrations of his conscience of guilt. It's a mess and poor Ryan was collateral damage. How shattering for his family. MOO :eek:

Last edited:
This guy’s criminal record includes arrests in GA. Was he in GA in late July?

ETA: like in Piedmont Park on 7/28/21

This guy gets around, so who knows? I found a case#15SC138731 for SW in Fulton County GA from 2015. https://publicrecordsaccess.fultoncountyga.gov/Portal/Home/WorkspaceMode?p=0

Good thinking about a possible connection. I see it’s been talked about in the thread for Katherine Janness, homicide 7/28/21.

GA - Katherine Janness, 40, fatally stabbed and dog killed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 July 2021 #3

News List | Atlanta Police Department

If I were a member of this community I certainly wouldn't accept anything less than a murder conviction on this actual, literal wandering monster. I would happily push the button on this guy myself to be honest.
The Palm Beach County State Attorney Dave Aronberg is a staple guest on CNN, MSNBC, social media etc. His office is prosecuting this case.

You might recognize Aronberg nationally as a talking head for Gabby Petito, Rittenhouse, and Ahmaud Arbery cases.

Aronberg is a skilled showman and IMHO has a large local constituency that he needs to appease for this case. I would expect him to be successful in pursuit of the maximum penalty for anyone charged in Ryan's homicide.

SOURCE:
https://twitter.com/aronberg

Last edited:

What is in his hand at about 1:54 minutes into this disturbing rant video? What if anything do you all see?

What is in his hand at about 1:54 minutes into this disturbing rant video? What if anything do you all see?
I agree -- seems he's pointing with an umbrella. I also think somebody is filming for him. He doesn't appear to be walking and recording this himself. JMO

I thought it looked like one of those big lighters, or it also kind of looks like a knife…. Or thats just what I expected to see?

Attachments

• B501FDBD-11A2-429C-A943-45E68E121577.jpeg
    B501FDBD-11A2-429C-A943-45E68E121577.jpeg
    55.6 KB · Views: 26
Aronberg is a skilled showman and IMHO has a large local constituency that he needs to appease for this case. I would expect him to be successful in pursuit of the maximum penalty for anyone charged in Ryan's homicide.

I agree with you except there’s the risk of NGRI which wouldn’t sound great (although it isn’t like some people imagine where the defendant gets off). This is why a deal that ensures the defendant never walks free will likely happen in my opinion. It is risk-free, protects the public, shows justice is done. Public defenders often push for deals due to their workloads and the time trial prep takes. Trials never have a 100% guaranteed outcome, especially with a jury and just his YT page opens the door for an not guilty by reason of insanity plea. Just my opinion but I think a deal is likely and would probably satisfy the family of the victims, although their opinions may change over time.

I thought it looked like one of those big lighters, or it also kind of looks like a knife…. Or thats just what I expected to see?
Yes, I can also see that looking like a BIC wand lighter...

810BSqyMhXL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

ETA: add photo link - Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/BIC-Multi-Purpose-Lighter-Value-Pack/dp/B003IJHYJU

Last edited:

To me, it looks like a knife. The handle looks like metal, with hard angles that do not look like molded plastic. The part that look like a blade has scallops, which would not be unusual for some modern knife blades. The scallops are not consistent with a Bic lighter. So, I'd vote for a knife vs a lighter.

SBM
I have no sympathy for perpetrators of crimes against children...
...I hope for swift justice for both the killer and those who throw stones at the Rogers family.

Absolutely! I agree wholeheartedly, which is why I was a little surprised at my reaction.

But I realize now that my reaction wasn't so much sympathy for him as an individual, as much as it was more empathy for people struggling with delusional mental illnesses.

I'm so sorry if I offended anyone... My intention with my comment certainly wasn't to start a new conversation or take the focus off of Ryan. My heart breaks for him and his loved ones.

I agree with you except there’s the risk of NGRI which wouldn’t sound great (although it isn’t like some people imagine where the defendant gets off). This is why a deal that ensures the defendant never walks free will likely happen in my opinion. It is risk-free, protects the public, shows justice is done. Public defenders often push for deals due to their workloads and the time trial prep takes. Trials never have a 100% guaranteed outcome, especially with a jury and just his YT page opens the door for an not guilty by reason of insanity plea. Just my opinion but I think a deal is likely and would probably satisfy the family of the victims, although their opinions may change over time.
In the US, NGRI should always be feared! A lengthy, but good read. MOO
When ‘Not Guilty’ Is a Life Sentence (Published 2017)

looks like jagged edge knife to me
I looked at it on a huge monitor and it looks like an umbrella that he is holding upside down. He is not holding it from the handle but rather from the middle of the umbrella where the snaps are. The handle looks like it's catching a glare on one edge so I can see how someone might think it's something else. And it looks like the cops are right there too.

ok but to go back to your original point, are you equating local news with rumors and Facebook posts? You said “Actually most of your statements address Facebook posts and speculation/rumor.” The police spokesman could have at any point clarified that if it was in fact not what he said. He could have clarified it in a news conference or even with that same reporter since she apparently talked to him on a daily basis. I am not trying to argue with you, but rather point out that it could have been handled better which would have lessened the rumors and conjecture (notice I didn’t say eliminate).
I equate the news with FB yes. I’ve known plenty of reporters that report incorrectly.
Since I don’t know this one or what was said I will leave my opinion that they did not say they were close to ruling out foul play. Or that the spokesperson doesn’t know what he’s talking about. It happens all the time. These are seasoned Homicide detectives. It didn’t come from them. It came from someone who didn’t know what they were talking about.

Suspect’s 16 page Florida criminal history is linked inside this article.

Ryan Rogers murder suspect had lengthy criminal history before Palm Beach Gardens attack
Thanks girl! I was sorry it was not linked anywhere this AM. Look forward to checking it out. Two charges struck me the most during the press conference when the chief listed them (long list!):

1. it sounded like he was fairly recently charged with agg assault for strangling someone. I think they said Fulton county which I think is Georgia. Moo (no time to google)—- why was he out??!!!
2. chief mentioned he also attacked someone over age 65.
Moo: that seems like a red flag for a very dangerous criminal in my book. a dangerous criminal with a high likelihood to re-offend!!

ETA: just found this link for more on those charges! https://www.wptv.com/news/local-news/investigations/accused-killer-of-ryan-rogers-could-have-been-sentenced-to-2-decades-in-prison-for-prior-crime

BTW I am actually a huge liberal, an advocate for criminal justice reform, a psych degree! and Strongly favor jailing far, far fewer Americans - mainly on non-violent offenses. At the same time, I am always curious why and how the truly predictable repeat offenders were free to Re-offend. So we can try to fix the loopholes. Mentally ill people have rights that must be protected like the rest of us, but when they commit violent crimes we need to address that. We must constantly strive to improve our system to protect the innocents of our country from being victimized. Like Ryan. JMO.

looks like jagged edge knife to me
It looks to me like it might be an offset cane.

Like the one being carried by a “potential witness” Atlanta Police were seeking to identify seen exiting the Piedmont and 12th St gate of Piedmont Park in Atlanta at 12:25 am on 7/29 (around the time Katherine Janness was stabbed to death and mutilated near the 10th St and Charles Allen gate)?

APD released several cctv still frame photos in that case seeking to identify “potential witnesses” who were seen on cctv at both the Piedmont/12th St and 10th St./Charles Allen gates (Thread 1 of KJ)

The man I’m thinking of appeared to be carrying an offset cane and wearing a (possibly) blood-stained sleeveless white t-shirt. He also appeared to be wearing glasses and looking at (or typing on) a phone.

I’m sure LE are investigating whether SLW Jr. could have been involved in other crimes with a similar m.o. I wonder if he was in Atlanta on 7/28 - 7/29.

All just speculation

At the same time, I am always curious why and how the truly predictable repeat offenders were free to Re-offend. So we can try to fix the loopholes. Mentally ill people have rights that must be protected like the rest of us, but when they commit violent crimes we need to address that. We must constantly strive to improve our system to protect the innocents of our country from being victimized. Like Ryan. JMO.

I think it is lack of a good alternative. Prison may not have been the right place but letting this person free was obviously the wrong choice. It cost a young boy his life but even the perpetrator was walking around paranoid and scared instead of being divert d into treatment prior. We need to work on our mental health system to be able handle such individuals before innocents are harmed or killed and the system failed the victim in this and the suspect’s other crimes.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FindIreneFlemingWAState
Back