FL - Ryan Rogers, 14, fatally stabbed, Palm Beach Gardens, 16 Nov 2021 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
My next question is, that the area in question is a very upscale, affluent area. Dwyer HS is directly across from a very exclusive private school, The Benjamin School.

In the future, if police see a random homeless person in the area, who does not appear to "belong" in this affluent neighborhood, would it be appropriate for the Palm Beach Gardens Police to inquire about his presence? Or can homeless people just go where ever they want?

I guess that the homeless person has rights to be anywhere he wants...so, people who live in the area, cannot let their children out. Unless they live behind a gate, with security.

Ironically, I lived in a gated section by the school, with armed security guards. The school bus dropped off the kids right at the entrance of the gate, by the guard house. I can see now, how lucky we were. Surrounded by large, metal fences. I thought that the dangers were the large alligators in the lakes around the area. I see that I was wrong about the dangers.

Last edited:
more like mental illness motive
No, this was a clear hate crime. Just like the driver of that SUV targeting specific parade goers up in Waukesha. Both perps had SM evidence and made statements afterwards that seem to suggest hate crime.

Last edited:
For those mentioning a "racial" aspect to the crime, just a reminder that systematic racism - which is unequivocally present in many countries including the USA - often leads to racial trauma which looks a lot like PTSD. This killer being a black male had certainly experienced discrimination and racism throughout his life. Combine that with mental illness and/or delusions and yeah, a racial component is possible (i.e., convinced white people want to hurt him due to past racial trauma). However, is it relevant to the criminal case? I don't believe so. I don't believe any potential racial aspect would be considered a hate crime by any legal or even ethical definition.

As the American Psychological Association states, "

“We are living in a racism pandemic, which is taking a heavy psychological toll on our African American citizens. The health consequences are dire. Racism is associated with a host of psychological consequences, including depression, anxiety and other serious, sometimes debilitating conditions, including post-traumatic stress disorder and substance use disorders. Moreover, the stress caused by racism can contribute to the development of cardiovascular and other physical diseases. The impact of these repeated horrific incidents is inflicting trauma on the broader African American community..." BBM.

Wow, checking back in...
Does it matter punitive-wise if this is considered a murder and/or hate crime?

Wow, checking back in...
Does it matter punitive-wise if this is considered a murder and/or hate crime?
there are additional enhancements for hate crimes, whereas mental health is also taken for some measure of consideration. either way i feel he should be held accountable, no excuses.

No, this was a clear hate crime. Just like the driver of that SUV targeting specific parade goers up in Waukesha. Both perps had SM evidence and made statements afterwards that seem to suggest hate crime.

This man probably shouldn't be considered competent to stand trial. I doubt he's been lucid enough to do anything that could legitimately be called a hate crime in a long time.

He was lucid enough to kill someone, and flee. That is competence, INMO.

The manner of attack, ambushing a child, indicates he was not lucid. Hours of his own video proves he's unbalanced and dangerous. He should have been committed a long time ago.

The manner of attack, ambushing a child, indicates he was not lucid. Hours of his own video proves he's unbalanced and dangerous. He should have been committed a long time ago.

Attacking a child, so much easier than a random adult, or group of children. That demonstrates cognition and logic.

And leaving the area? Getting from Palm Beach Gardens to Miami, did he drive? Steal a car? Take the train? That is over 75 miles. No bike route.

Has anybody heard whether LE found anything last month off of Jog Rd (I assume they were looking for a murder weapon)? I’ve not found any new info in msm.

Also, does anybody know how to find out what possessions SLW had on him (besides the green backpack and bandana) when he was briefly held in Miami and then booked into the Palm Beach County Jail? Tia

This case seems to have gone strangely silent. Rest In Peace Ryan.

Last edited:
https://www.wptv.com/news/local-new...er-of-ryan-rogers-mentally-fit-to-stand-trial

Feb 10, 2022

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. — The public defender representing Semmie Williams Jr., the man charged in the killing of 14-year-old Ryan Rogers, is asking the court to appoint two experts to determine his "mental condition and competency to proceed."

The move comes after prosecutors filed a notice that they intend to seek the death penalty.

A motion filed in court claims Williams "appears unable to testify relevantly" or "meaningfully participate" in "defending a case in which the state is seeking the death penalty."

Thanks @Seattle1. Yes, I was aware of the delay to allow court appointed experts time to determine SLW’s mental condition and competency (I do think he’s a paranoid schizophrenic, but that doesn’t mean he was unaware that what he was doing was wrong). I guess we’ll just have to wait and see

I was interested however in whether there had been any news about any murder weapon being found in the storm drain searches along Log Road (LE searched there in late Jan/early Feb, I think). It looks like if LE did find something, they’re keeping it under wraps..

That, and I was wondering whether any clever Sleuthers might know how to find out what personal articles/effects of SLW’s were “logged in” with him when he was booked into the Palm Beach County Jail. I’m curious as to whether the murder weapon (if they found it) and one other specific item that may have been in SLW’s possession, might tie him to a similar crime in another state.

Thanks @Seattle1. Yes, I was aware of the delay to allow court appointed experts time to determine SLW’s mental condition and competency (I do think he’s a paranoid schizophrenic, but that doesn’t mean he was unaware that what he was doing was wrong). I guess we’ll just have to wait and see

I was interested however in whether there had been any news about any murder weapon being found in the storm drain searches along Log Road (LE searched there in late Jan/early Feb, I think). It looks like if LE did find something, they’re keeping it under wraps..

That, and I was wondering whether any clever Sleuthers might know how to find out what personal articles/effects of SLW’s were “logged in” with him when he was booked into the Palm Beach County Jail. I’m curious as to whether the murder weapon (if they found it) and one other specific item that may have been in SLW’s possession, might tie him to a similar crime in another state.

We know that RR had multiple stab wounds to his head and face so I imagine the accused had a knife or blade of some sort.

There was a report early December that authorities were acting from a tip and searched a storm drain along a canal and workers actually got inside the drain. Other than the initial search of the woods along Jog Rd (between Hood and Donald Ross roads), I'm not aware of any other searches-- or findings in the drain or elsewhere.

I'm not too worried about the weapon being recovered given that SLW was linked to the crime scene through DNA and his headphones left at the crime scene as well as phone and surveillance evidence.

Reportedly, when SLW was located in Miami, a bloodstained bandana was found in his backpack. Further analysis showed the two contributors to the bloodstains were Rogers and Williams.

Relative to additional discovery and returns of warrant searches, every state is different but it's not unusual for the information to be suppressed until closer to the trial to protect the integrity of the case.

MOO

Florida homeless man charged with murder of Ryan Rogers

Local attorney weighs in on Semmie Williams case

12/16/21

Local defense attorney Tama Kudman said indictments are part of the process in serious cases like this, but she also pointed out the indictment has no bearing on Williams’ eventual guilt or innocence.

“It just means the grand jury has reviewed the evidence and feels that there’s sufficient evidence on which to proceed with these charges,” Kudman said.

Kudman is not involved in the Williams case, but she has represented many high-profile clients in Palm Beach County courts.

She said an important part of the indictment is that it starts the clock.

The State Attorney now has 45 days to decide if he wants to seek the death penalty against Williams.

[..]

On the defense side, Kudman said Williams’ attorneys will almost certainly point to their client’s mental health.

“They’re going to try to convince the jury that he was so mentally ill that he actually had no idea what he was doing,” she said. “He didn’t know right from wrong.”

Kudman said another aspect for defense attorneys to consider is Williams’ mental state right now.

She said if Williams is unable to assist in his defense, he could be sent to a mental hospital rather than a courtroom.

“If that's the case, he can be medicated and treated such that at some later point, he is capable of assisting in his own defense and understanding what's happening,” Kudman said.

Semmie Williams Jr.'s possible admission in the killing of Ryan Rogers

Dec 23, 2021

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. —

Details have been released in a possible admission from Semmie Williams Jr. in the killing of a Palm Beach Gardens teenager.

[..]

According to the Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office incident report, Deputy Michael McCabe was fingerprinting Williams and asked him if he understood why he was being arrested.

McCabe said Williams responded, "Yeah, murder because of what they did to Black people about giving them syphilis."

The deputy said Williams then got louder stating "Yeah I killed that mother(expletive) and I'll kill you, too."

Williams then reportedly pulled away from him and tried to walk away. According to the report, a scuffle ensued.

McCabe wrote, "he attempted to take me down by holding my right arm and shifting his weight forward and to his right. I resisted this and quickly took him to the floor, face down."

After being handcuffed by two other officers, Williams allegedly told McCabe, he was in for a beating "if they didn't help." An official also stated that Williams called McCabe a "white devil."

[..]

Later that day, Williams denied confessing to killing Ryan Rogers, stating, "That's a lie. He lied. I would love to hear the audio."

Semmie Williams wants to go to facility for secret testing

Jan 13, 2022

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. —

Lawyers for the man charged with killing 14-year-old Ryan Rogers want to take him out of jail for some type of testing at an undisclosed location.

In court Tuesday, Semmie Lee Williams' lawyers said he needs to undergo the testing as part of his defense, but they don’t want to reveal exactly what kind of testing it is.

[..]

Williams was not in court when his lawyers tried to hammer out the deal to take him out of jail for testing they said is part of their defense strategy.

Williams has a long criminal history and his mental state has been questioned before. Some attorneys have suggested Williams’ lawyers may be exploring an insanity defense.

Prosecutors said they want to first make sure the testing can’t be done at the jail. And they want to make sure any visit doesn’t include an overnight stay.

Judge Kirk Volker said he will read the defense’s proposal in private and then decide whether to allow Williams to be transported out of the jail for testing.

State files a notice of intent to seek death penalty against Semmie Williams Jr.

Jan 26, 2022

The state filed a notice of intent on Friday to charge Semmie Williams Jr. with the death penalty in the murder of 14-year-old Ryan Rogers.

This comes the same day Williams had his first appearance in court for an altercation that took place while he was being booked for the murder.

Officials reported that Williams had a scuffle with deputies during the booking process at the Palm Beach County Jail in December.

He also reportedly confessed to the murder of Rogers during the fight.

Prosecutors charged Williams today with corruption by threat against a public official for the altercation.

His bond for the charge was set at $5,000.00

Competency hearing sought for suspect in killing of teen in Palm Beach Gardens

Feb 10, 2022
[..]

According to the motion, public defender Carey Haughwout argues Williams has a long history of suffering from mental illness, including schizophrenia, and has been receiving treatment for it.

The public defender added that the issue of competency has come up before in a previous criminal case. In that unnamed case, the motion indicated a judge ruled Williams competent to proceed, but only after a "lengthy hospitalization to restore him to competency."

[..]

Williams, according to the court filing, is being held in the mental health unit of the Palm Beach County Jail and receiving psychiatric treatment.

The public defender said Williams is unable to testify relevantly or share facts of the current murder investigation, or "otherwise meaningfully participate in and aid counsel in defending a case in which the state is seeking the death penalty."

The public defender is asking for the court to appoint two experts and give them 45 days to evaluate Williams.

ETA: Essentially, once the motion was filed by his defense that Williams is unable to participate in his defense, this stops the clock and no hearings will proceed and/or the case move forward until the experts opine whether or not he's deemed compentent. [Williams has been evaluated before for an unrelated case and deemed competent].

Relative to the competency evaluation, most states have a huge backup for either the facility or the mental evaluator to complete the evaluation timely. Justice will not be swift for poor Ryan. MOO

For example -- see Leticia Stauch and the murder of Gannon Stauch.

Found Deceased - CO - Gannon Stauch, 11, Colorado Springs, El Paso County, 27 Jan 2020 *Arrest* #52

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pama_213
Back