FL FL - Sanibel Island, WhtFem, 30-50, #UP5316, floating in the Gulf, Oct 1995

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I would like to know what the cause of death was.

Geez, that didn't even cross my mind. That would be a big help...
My first thought was that she drowned, but chances are, she was dead before she got in that bag. If they were able to tell that she'd had brain surgery, then it probably wasnt major head trauma (like a shotgun/bludgeoning). I imagine that if she was stabbed or shot in the torso, they would have at least mentioned that her clothing was torn.
She may have died from natural causes, but then why hide the body? Although, I have read about people dying at sea from dehydration, and then being wrapped up and tossed over... but then why not report it? I wondered if she was a cuban immigrant, but shes very much Caucasian. Not to mention the scrubs.

If they even were able to determine the cause of death, I'm guessing strangulation? Maybe brain trauma (more in line with a bad concussion than like a skull fracture).

Edit: I guess if she did die at sea and was thrown over, the others may have died later But I don't think so. Thats to many "ifs"- I frankly find it more likely that she was murdered.

I’ve broken both bones in my leg, my upper and lower arm, my foot, my collar bone and cracked my orbital socket. No one has ever laid a hand on me abusively, I was just a wide open kid with a love of tree climbing and horseback riding. (Well, the two leg bones were from flipping a riding mower, lol). I think the fact that her injuries were treated probably mean accidents and not abuse, just my opinion. I can’t see how her medical history hasn’t identified her, though.

Thats a good point. And if it happened in childhood, maybe the family didnt think it would be relevant information? Especially if they thought she was alive when they made the report. I wonder if they can tell how old those fractures are.

I was thinking horseback riding, too! Vehicle accident is certainly possible. Someone (other than us) should be looking for her, rather looking in '96 I suppose.

OK, if she wasn't a patient:

Who took off the VA scrub top before our decedent wore it???

Were there any numbers in that top, indicating date of manufacture, anyway?

Did an employee wear it home? Patient transferred to a different facility?

VA keeping secrets?

JMHO YMMV

Actually, I dont think she was a patient at all. Looking at the type of clothing they describe, it is absolutely not a hospital gown. Its that kind of shirt a nurse would wear.
w6214_strawberry

Maybe in some places they have patients wear these, but I've never encountered it. I do find it strange, though, that they interviewed the V.A. hospital about any PATIENTS who had those procedures. You would think they would be looking at employees.

I've looked at the hospital online, and it seems like they have some programs collaborating with the colleges in the area. She could be a nursing student, not even a registered nurse or a patient.

She might also be in the medical field, and either used to work there, or got the scrubs secondhand. That would explain why there were (presumably) no employees that disappeared.

I got a reply from the medical examiners office! I wanted to pass on her appreciation to everyone here as well
I'm still waiting on a reply from Hialeah. I'll update you guys on that.

Is there anything you want me to ask her???

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190603-113002_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20190603-113002_Gmail.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 110
I got a reply from the medical examiners office! I wanted to pass on her appreciation to everyone here as well
I'm still waiting on a reply from Hialeah. I'll update you guys on that.

Is there anything you want me to ask her???

I would like to know what her cause of dead was and if there was any indication that she came from abroad (outside America). Does she have any idea about what could have caused the fractures and if she was wearing scrubs or a hospital gown. Thank you.

Question for ME:

“fracture of right leg, that was surgically repaired with two orthopedic screws”

Usually when metal items are used to repair a body, they have a serial number on them. Screws may be too tiny but there has to be a limited amount of suppliers. Investigating this angle may be worthwhile.

I'm posting this also because, although the new recon is wonderful, having a good look at her teeth is maybe also helpful.

Attachments

• Teeth Sanibel Jane Doe.JPG
    Teeth Sanibel Jane Doe.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 411
Last edited:
The scrub top is weird. The only time I’ve ever worn scrubs as a patient was for an MRI. Looking at their website, most clinical employees are wearing navy or light blue scrubs. However I could not find any photos of other departments.

A red scrub top would be unusual and could be from any department - from ancillary patient care (like phlebotomist or X-ray tech) to any outpatient clinic or even housekeeping or kitchen staff. This was before clinical staff really started differentiating themselves in terms of licensure and scope so I’d guess that this person was not working as a nurse or tech.

I really hope that LE took a good look at SC VA staff and departments who were wearing such an unusual color of scrubs at the time. Seems it would have been the most logical place to start.

Eta - I’m slower than usual today. Looks like northfloridafaces basically said this same thing so you know, great minds and all that!

Last edited:
Could she have been working as a private nurse on a big boat? Would you expect her to be dressed in scrubs? And why the lettering of the SC VA ... just an old thing from a former workplace?....puzzled here....

Maybe she was caring for veterans. There are a lot of outdoor and fishing activity's organized for enabled and well veterans, but this are group activities. Can't believe a whole group wouldn't talk about a dead woman.

Last edited:
As soon as there's a woman with a history of healed fractures everyone jumps the shark right to, "she must have been a victim of domestic violence"! It's not 1955 anymore: Women aren't required to just stay home and fetch their hubby his slippers and get him a drink as soon as he comes home from work! Women do participate in sports - sometimes rough/violent ones like hockey, auto racing, polo, tackle football, etc. I know many women who are even avid adventurers - they love free-climbing, bouldering, extreme running (100-mile runs in the 110-degree desert), etc. I lived in Marathon, Florida, in the Florida Keys - and we burie1d people at sea routinely. To me, the way she was found definitely reminds me of that - the only thing missing are the stones/weights that would either have been placed inside her sleeping bag or around it.

As soon as there's a woman with a history of healed fractures everyone jumps the shark right to, "she must have been a victim of domestic violence"! It's not 1955 anymore: Women aren't required to just stay home and fetch their hubby his slippers and get him a drink as soon as he comes home from work! Women do participate in sports - sometimes rough/violent ones like hockey, auto racing, polo, tackle football, etc. I know many women who are even avid adventurers - they love free-climbing, bouldering, extreme running (100-mile runs in the 110-degree desert), etc. I lived in Marathon, Florida, in the Florida Keys - and we burie1d people at sea routinely. To me, the way she was found definitely reminds me of that - the only thing missing are the stones/weights that would either have been placed inside her sleeping bag or around it.

As you can see, that is not the only possibility that we discussed. Of course thats not the only option. But it is an option- especially when the circumstances point to murder. Especially when they may have not been reported missing. This "isn't 1995 anymore," but that doesn't mean people aren't still being abused.

I'm not dedicated to the idea she was a victim of domestic violence, but I'm also not only considering athletes. It would be absurd to limit our options to one small group of people, when we have no reason but circumstance to do so. But its equally ridiculous to not look into a group because of that. The idea is narrowing out to a collection of backgrounds, not one single option.

I appreciate your insight about being buried at sea, I really do! But in the future, please consider why we are suggesting these things before judging members of this thread.

Wow... the updated reconstruction looks a lot like Brenda Snouffer. She disappeared earlier that year from FL and was a nurse (scrubs weren't exactly cheap, I used to see them in thrift stores all the time so having some from another hospital might not be out of the question). No mention of head trauma and went missing several months prior and the height is off, but the resemblance is striking. Is she on the rule-outs?

brenda_starr_snouffer_1.jpg

Brenda Starr Snouffer – The Charley Project

Wow... the updated reconstruction looks a lot like Brenda Snouffer. She disappeared earlier that year from FL and was a nurse (scrubs weren't exactly cheap, I used to see them in thrift stores all the time so having some from another hospital might not be out of the question). No mention of head trauma and went missing several months prior and the height is off, but the resemblance is striking. Is she on the rule-outs?

brenda_starr_snouffer_1.jpg

Brenda Starr Snouffer – The Charley Project
Definitely a resemblance there. Brenda was last seen in April and this UID was found about 2 weeks post death in Oct. The soon to be ex husband could have held her for that long technically. But, where? How? Their little girl was 6 and she could maybe remember vague details of the time her Mom went missing. Most likely, he decommissioned her vehicle as the chop shop business was what he was in trouble for.

Attachments

• upload_2019-7-4_18-42-53.gif
    37 bytes · Views: 7
Even missing persons reports couldn't provide detectives with her identity. Though she was wearing a red medical smock with the words “Charleston S.C. V.A. Hospital"..... so we are talking scrubs here?...still not sure...

Smock, to me anyway, is the overcoat doctors wear when making rounds. Scrubs are what you wear for surgery. JMO

I can't stop thinking that this is a medical dump. She could've been thrown from any bridge that crosses over the intercoastal to the north of Sanibel.

I'd be looking into the known illegal medical practices that were open during that time in the area. I'd even stretch it to Miami, a short under 2 hour drive away, where they had tons of pill mills and illegal practices in the 1990's. The point being, to see if any of the "medical (un)professionals" were previously employed or associated with Charleston VA Hospital, and search through their records.

The temporal cranium scarring could've been from someone who had seizure or epilepsy issues, so perhaps her death was related to that kind of treatment.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Eric
Back