Identified! FL - Sarasota, WhtMale 45+, skull found, Sep'15 - Fernando Ramos Velasquez

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
My mom is 65 and she has a flip phone. She got it relatively recently. It's one were you buy minutes for it. She just wanted something for emergencies and barely uses it at all. I know a few other older people who have the same thing, so it probably fits in with the upper end of his estimated age. If it's a phone you purchase minutes for it's probably not registered but hopefully they'll be able to get data from it and find out any calls made or received and get clues that way.

Also wanted to agree with the inseam/height estimate posted above. I'm just about 5'10" and I need anywhere from a 32-34" inseam, but I'm female so I don't know if that makes a difference.

The Sarasota Sheriffs are asking for help in ID'ing this individual in todays Sarasota Herald Tribune. The Sheriff's office posted more pictures of his belongings on their FB page. I posted some possible matches for his belongings on their FB page...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/301035151183?ul_noapp=true&chn=ps&lpid=82 (black instead of brown found on person)
https://www.etsy.com/listing/212099499/western-belt-buckle-natural-stone-boho?ref=shop_review (scroll down to see matching belt buckle)

sounds like he was possibly a transient, migrant dayworker? the boots and the belt and the small size make me think so.

Sarasota Sheriff's seek public help ID'ing body found off Cattleman Road
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2015 10:39 am

[...]
According to a release from the Sheriff's Office, the Medical Examiner can confirm the body is a man, over 45 years old and possibly in his 60s, and small in stature. He had healed rib fractures, his second toe on his left foot had a healed fracture as well, and the man suffered from gout. The subject had most of his teeth intact and no apparent dental restorations.

The man was wearing Wrangler jeans size 29 x 30, an alligator skin belt with a distinctive belt buckle, a medium Gianni Velente Italian leather jacket and Timberland boots. He was also carrying a Motorola flip phone, lighters, Mennen Speed Stick deodorant, nail clippers and 2 small black combs.

While the manner and cause of death has not been determined, detectives believe the body may have been there since the winter of 2013-2014. A 2012 penny was found in his pocket so the death occurred since that time.
Anyone who recognizes these items is asked to call Criminal Investigations at 941-861-4900.

tW6d9jT.jpg

HKwa6z2.jpg
uFEtErx.jpg

The Sarasota Sheriffs are asking for help in ID'ing this individual in todays Sarasota Herald Tribune. The Sheriff's office posted more pictures of his belongings on their FB page. I posted some possible matches for his belongings on their FB page...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/301035151183?ul_noapp=true&chn=ps&lpid=82 (black instead of brown found on person)
https://www.etsy.com/listing/212099499/western-belt-buckle-natural-stone-boho?ref=shop_review (scroll down to see matching belt buckle)

:Welcome1: Good first post!

No likely race or ethnicity mentioned anywhere, is it?

My mom is 65 and she has a flip phone. She got it relatively recently. It's one were you buy minutes for it. She just wanted something for emergencies and barely uses it at all. I know a few other older people who have the same thing, so it probably fits in with the upper end of his estimated age. If it's a phone you purchase minutes for it's probably not registered but hopefully they'll be able to get data from it and find out any calls made or received and get clues that way.

Also wanted to agree with the inseam/height estimate posted above. I'm just about 5'10" and I need anywhere from a 32-34" inseam, but I'm female so I don't know if that makes a difference.

I am 5ft 8 and have a 36 in inseam (long legs but can't see over the steering wheel - bareley lol)

I don't believe he was a migrant worker, either, judging from the ring, the belt, and Italian leather jacket. I think there's a good possibility he was from Central or South America.

native americans are usually taller... but there are ppl of every ethnicity of every stature lol. you know, going off what bessie said though, if he was dressed well (timberlands are work boots, but pricey.... ) and had that cheap flip phone (burner phone), maybe it is cartel/drug activity.

The belt looks hand made. Also, he doesn't hit me as "migrant worker". More native american IMO.

The phone hadn't been turned on since 2008? That's odd. So he went at least 4 years without turning on his cell phone (based on the 2012 penny). I wonder if he kept it charged? Otherwise what use would it be? Was it found in his clothing or is there some way this could have been thrown there years earlier and just a huge coincidence that it was found at the same place? I just think that is so odd that it wasn't turned on since 2008. I guess I had my old Motorola Razr sitting around for a few years after I got a new phone but I never charged it, or even really looked at it, it was totally useless.

Is it a rural area? I know my ex husband went to school on Fruitville at Cardinal Mooney back in the late 70's. He didn't seem to make it sound rural. Is this the area where the Mennonites have a community? Trying to picture it. Does look like it's by the interstate so it makes me think he could have been homeless or traveling by hitch hiking and got off at that exit.

Sorry, missed this. No, this area is not rural. Lowes is right there and then there are shopping centers on both sides of Fruitville and on Cattlemen you follow south to a small industrial area, some restaurants then you are in housing developments. Now if you go East on Fruitville, which is basically the corner of where he was find, you do head to the 'country' area of Sarasota.... Old Myakka, Myakka City, Arcadia. Very country, farms, typical 'good ol boys' , which is where i would think he might have been from with the belt and boots. People use Fruitville to come into 'town' to Lowes and shopping. Hangout for the 20 year olds is the chik Filet just a couple blocks away. All the fast food joints and restaurants are there. That area used to be cow fields 20 years ago, but has been built up for longer than a few years....

At the time, Detectives released photos of personal items found with the remains, which led to information that they may have belonged to a man known as 'Chewy.' Detectives identified a possible roommate of 'Chewy,' and Deputies recently located him. With the information provided by his roommate, Detectives were able to identify 'Chewy' as Fernando DeJesus Ramos Velasquez, DOB 6/6/52, also known as Fernando Velasquez, whose last known address was 835 Ponder Avenue, Sarasota. Detectives located his medical records, and by comparing these records to the skeletal remains, the District 12 Medical Examiner's Office in collaboration with Florida Gulf Coast University anthropologists confirmed the victim was Velasquez.

The manner or time frame of his death still has not been determined. The investigation is ongoing. Detectives are not aware of any family living locally and are working to locate next of kin. Anyone who knew Velasquez is asked to call Detective Tuck, 941.861.4939.

- See more at: http://www.publicnow.com/view/15022...6ED41F0?145xxx1453847530#sthash.Jz54abiA.dpuf

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20160126/ARTICLE/160129674/-1/newssitemap

RIP Chewy.

It puzzles me why he was not reported missing by his roommate before this. There's no indication that he did in any of the news articles.

He was probably here illegally, as well as, any roomates or associates. If someone goes missing, the last thing they will do is go to the police about it. It wouldn't surprise me if the deceased lived in one of those revolving door duplexes, where dozens of illegals cram themselves in and out. From the close proximity of the apartment to where his remains were found, (purely speculation) it was probably a pay day robbery by another illegal immigrant that ended in his death. RIP Chewy

He was probably here illegally, as well as, any roomates or associates. If someone goes missing, the last thing they will do is go to the police about it...

I was thinking the same thing when I saw that, but (per the links in #37/#38):
...detectives were able to identify Chewy as Velasquez, 63, whose last known address was 835 Ponder Avenue in Sarasota County.

The main contact I ever have with Mexican immigrants (legal or otherwise) is in that my area is filled with farms that employ them during growing/harvesting season. I'm too lazy to do farm work, so I don't have much contact with any.

I don't understand why they would have a physical address for an illegal immigrant. Wouldn't that tip off Immigration?
And was he from Guatemala as suspected?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tb3
Back