FL - Shannon Dedrick, 7 mo., Chipley, 31 Oct 2009 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's Women & Infant Care, but I could be wrong and it doesn't matter.
Yes, it is a free program, but you do have to qualify. I'm assuming that two people with a baby that are both on disability would qualify.
WIC covers nutritious foods for pregnant women, as well as for infants. Things such as formula, milk, cheese, nutritious cereals, etc. It is limited and is not as extensive as food stamps as to what you can get with it.

My daughter and son-in-law applied for WIC here in Southern Calif. and they had to jump through hoops to get accepted.
I'm glad. I'm glad for the hoops....helps a little at least, against those who want to abuse the program.

My daughter could only get UNsweetened cereals (plain corn flakes, no Frosted flakes), cheese as long as it wasn't processed (no cheese in the little individual plastic wrappers), whole milk, etc.
The rules and regs regarding WIC are pretty strict.....making sure parents are only getting healthy, nutricious foods for their children.

Hmm, if this is accurate, then it makes it interesting that LE is questioning an individual living at the same address that is given for the baby.

(...still looking for the link that states the address of someone LE is questioning...)

Might clear up some of the ambiguity of LE saying they are looking inside the home, but seeming to avoid stating that either of the parents are a POI.

Hope you guys can make sense of this post...

Makes perfect sense to me - now if we could find the link I'd be off and running.

Eleph

Any more information about who else was living in the trailer? TIA

Looks like just over 12 miles from the babysitter's house to Shannon's home on Brown Street in Chipley so it doesn't appear to be a real close neighbor who would have been babysitting Shannon.

Attachments

• BS home to Shannon's Home.jpg
    BS home to Shannon's Home.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 24
Wow, if neither the boyfriend or the mom worked, why would they need a babysitter I wonder?

I thought about that too. Perhaps the sitter was a real close friend or relative who just wanted to give the mom some breathing room once in a while.

Makes perfect sense to me - now if we could find the link I'd be off and running.

Eleph

Arrgh...still looking,I know I read it b/c I jotted down the address so I could do a reverse look-up (which got me nowhere)...

I feel the need to add what CPS can, and cannot do.

They cannot take a child on an abuse allegation alone.

They can investigate but unless the child has bruises, their hands are tied.

They can require the parents and the child to get counseling. CPS is the first line of defense, but the social workers really know what is going on. Do not blame CPS DFS or whatever for any failure.

To make it more clear, when you call 911, you get a cop. If it is serious you get a Detective. CPS are only cops. They get the call, assess the situation and send it onto the proper authorities to who can handle such cases. As in Social workers and counselors.

I have never seen a CPS worker remove a child. That is the left up to the social workers and at the extreme a judge.

How many of you would like to live your day as a CPS worker....Going out on 5 calls a day of neglect, abuse, yadda yadda

So easy to to put them down but I doubt anyone would want their job.

I thought about that too. Perhaps the sitter was a real close friend or relative who just wanted to give the mom some breathing room once in a while.

Too far away for a neighbor - just a little over 12 miles from Shannon's home in Chipley from what I see. If I were to take a guess, it would be a relative on Rusty's side of the family in about the 50-55 age range....just a thought from what I have seen.

My daughter and son-in-law applied for WIC here in Southern Calif. and they had to jump through hoops to get accepted.
I'm glad. I'm glad for the hoops....helps a little at least, against those who want to abuse the program.

My daughter could only get UNsweetened cereals (plain corn flakes, no Frosted flakes), cheese as long as it wasn't processed (no cheese in the little individual plastic wrappers), whole milk, etc.
The rules and regs regarding WIC are pretty strict.....making sure parents are only getting healthy, nutricious foods for their children.

The application for WIC is pretty straight forward. You have to show proof of income, proof of pregnancy or birth certificates and apply. If you meet the requirements, you are accepted. The income restrictions vary, but they are definitely higher than the federal poverty line, which means more people qualify. I think some 45% of all babies born are on WIC.

It would be pretty hard to abuse WIC, and it's not really worth it for cheese, beans, milk and cereal. Not to mention, you have to attend meetings and go to the WIC office every couple of months to keep your checks so it's work. And it keeps people in aware of how your baby is doing and ensures kids are getting enough to eat and health care if needed. I guess people might want to abuse it for the formula if they are not breastfeeding. That would be beneficial since formula is so expensive, but that's only good for a year. And the formula companies have a racket going anyway.

Plus there is a health care savings for women and child who take up WIC, and in the end, we save money even if people who don't necessarily meet the income requirements use it. It's also associated with other positive outcomes for low income and nutritionally at-risk children and women.

The idea is to provide healthy base foods, nutrition assistance and referrals during critical development periods (pregnancy, infancy to 5). The items it covers are considered essential to development. It's a supplemental food program, not designed to stand alone.

I have to add though, (here in PA) my g/friend years ago when she had her son she was on WIC, she would HAVE to use the coupons/money and would get boxes and boxes of cereal, so much milk/cheese that she would give it to her family, she said if she doesnt use it or complains that its too much they would take it from her. She needed assistance at the time but it was an "ALL OR NOTHING" kind of thing, there are still issues with these programs IMO

Too far away for a neighbor - just a little over 12 miles from Shannon's home in Chipley from what I see. If I were to take a guess, it would be a relative on Rusty's side of the family in about the 50-55 age range....just a thought from what I have seen.

I never said neighbor:innocent:

They can require the parents and the child to get counseling. CPS is the first line of defense, but the social workers really know what is going on. Do not blame CPS DFS or whatever for any failure.

To make it more clear, when you call 911, you get a cop. If it is serious you get a Detective. CPS are only cops. They get the call, assess the situation and send it onto the proper authorities to who can handle such cases. As in Social workers and counselors.

I have never seen a CPS worker remove a child. That is the left up to the social workers and at the extreme a judge.

How many of you would like to live your day as a CPS worker....Going out on 5 calls a day of neglect, abuse, yadda yadda

I agree. It's not the individual case workers that are at fault most of the time, its a flawed system and there are issues with continuity and follow up between the different agencies.
I have known some fabulous case workers, but they all left the job because they were overburdened with cases and so frustrated with the system and all of its flaws.
And there are waaaay too many cases where they are called in because someone is trying to get revenge against a neighbor or friend, rather than helping a neglected or abused child. This trend needs to stop, so they can focus on the ones that really need their assistance.
jmo

I called LE and they said no civilian searches are ongoing as of now. Told them I was offering to volunteer and they thanked me.

So, does someone else know about the search that is supposed to be going on?

That may all be true, but we hear so many cases where CPS had been called again and again for supspected abuse and/or neglect, and they reported nothing was wrong. Then, the child ends up dead. It's sad. I definitely wouldn't want their job, but also, it seems like something has got to change.

Arrgh...still looking,I know I read it b/c I jotted down the address so I could do a reverse look-up (which got me nowhere)...

OK, I give up. The story has been updated on the news site and this little "nugget" seems to have been edited out - either it was inaccurate or shouldn't have been divulged in the first place, I guess.

I may be able to help you think of a few things. Think in terms of camping but minus the tent. Most of the searchers I know carry extra everything but once a search runs into a few days without a washer and dryer clean dry socks feel wonderful. The weather there..is it still rainy? Perhaps a few extra long sleeve shirts or raincoats. The first aid kit...maybe they need bandaids by now, gauze and tape, nuskin, neosporin, bug bite relief topical spray or wipes, benadryl (oral and spray) for bee and wasp stings, alcohol, peroxide, ace bandages for sprained ankles. Garbage bags rolled into a tight roll with a rubber band can be used for multiple purposes and fit neatly into fanny packs. We use them not only for trash but also to sit on in damp areas when we need a break, cut a few holes and they make an emergency poncho, they make good waterproofing for bandaging, the list is endless what one can do with a simple trash bag. If you think in terms of camping the list is endless. The searchers...Yes, they do appreciate every single thing you do, but often they do not have time to stop and tell you how much. The single most important thing I have taken away from any search so far is the look on the locals faces when they say thank you and you can see that they mean it. What does one say when a member of the local community comes to you in tears and thanks you?
You're welcome and thank you too do not say enough at those times. There aren't enough words...

ETA: And yes, I have known many who slept in their vehicles because they could not afford a hotel room or hotels were just too far away and they wanted to be on site at sunrise.

Psst...you left out the Lotrimin.
After a few days slogging through the swamp in wet boots, with wet dirty socks, a good dose of Lotrimin between the toes is just about heavenly.

Just from what I have read online, I was under the impression that the babysitter is Shannon's paternal aunt.

They can't remove on allegations alone...this much is true. Unless they are sexual in nature...in that case, they can take your kids with no proof.
They have to see bruises and prove that they are lifetheatening. Children cannot be removed if the worker does not view a situation that could threaten their lives or development. They can and often do require counseling...also true.
However,
1. CPS workers make the decision to remove a child after a judge has ordered it. The paperwork has to signed first. In cases of immediate life threat, they may take the child, but it still goes in front of a judge within 72 hours.
2. You said CPS are only cops. I hope that was meant metaphorically, since I have never met a social worker that has gone through the police academy.

That said, I wouldn't want their job, but apparently neither do any of them, since the turn over, burn out, and firing rate is astronomical for CPS workers.
Which may be the problem with CPS in and of itself.

I agree. It's not the individual case workers that are at fault most of the time, its a flawed system and there are issues with continuity and follow up between the different agencies.
I have known some fabulous case workers, but they all left the job because they were overburdened with cases and so frustrated with the system and all of its flaws.
And there are waaaay too many cases where they are called in because someone is trying to get revenge against a neighbor or friend, rather than helping a neglected or abused child. This trend needs to stop, so they can focus on the ones that really need their assistance.
jmo

My Fiance is a CPS Social Worker, He has his masters degree and basically works for minimum wage because he cares about these kids.

He leaves at 7am and never gets home before 7pm. Most nights it is 9pm.

He works his *advertiser censored* off so I get defensive when I see people down CPS. 99% of us couldn't do the job they do but we are so quick to judge them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1