FL - Shannon Dedrick, 7 mo., Chipley, 31 Oct 2009 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just peeking in, I was so hoping that they had found baby Shannon by now!

That may all be true, but we hear so many cases where CPS had been called again and again for supspected abuse and/or neglect, and they reported nothing was wrong. Then, the child ends up dead. It's sad. I definitely wouldn't want their job, but also, it seems like something has got to change.

And you never will hear of the good they do. It is all confidential.

For 1 bad case you have 200 good cases.

That one is true. There are a lot of failures, but there are many more successes.
The successes aren't louded around the media like the failures are.
David Pelzer was a very famous success story for CPS. But you very rarely hear that type of thing.

I personally only disagree with them because they are allowed to operate without informing clients of their Constitutional rights, like every other agency must. Which is only a personal opinion and not menat to further the debate.

On a note that relates this to Shannon: (Changed the name. Sorry, there are too many lately.)
How do we know that this is a fail for CPS? Has there ever been any proof that Shannon's life was in danger? Any proof that the house was so dirty as to put her in danger? Any proof that she was not being bonded with or mentally stimulated? Any proof that they weren't taking her to the doctor or not feeding her? Any proof that there was heavy drug use or trafficking going on in her home?
If no, then there is nothing that CPS could have done anyway. Maybe it was a societal fail...

O/T .. Anyone watching JVM.. The 3 missing female softball players were just found dead. Vehicle with bodies pulled from pond.:(

Yes, being a case worker is a very hard job. I had a roommate after college that tried to work as a case worker (this was the mid-late 80's in Georgia; she had a bachelor's degree) for almost two years before she quit and became a teacher. God bless those dedicated case workers that work for the welfare of the child.

HRS, now known as DCF, use to take children away from their parents based upon allegations. A daycare worker reported a friend whose 4-year old had a bruise on her leg, and this family became caught up in becoming a case followed by HRS. She and her husband fought the system with the help of her boss and my neighbor, John Ostalkiewicz, who later ran for one term as a Florida State Senator.

In 1996, Florida State Senator John Ostalkiewicz called for a full-scale investigation of the Florida Department of Health and Rehabilitative Services after hearing testimony from parents and experts, all of whom told horror stories of child abuse investigations mismanaged by the state agency.

http://fightagainstcps.tripod.com/id23.html

ITA! In the hospital it is the same... for each patient lost there are hundreds saved... yet that lost one... that is the one that sticks.

Search efforts included 8 K-9 teams on the ground and helicopter assistance from both Jackson and Calhoun County. Local residents are urged to remember that helicopters will be in the area late into the evening as part of the continued search effort.

Sheriff’s Offices from several surrounding counties, Team ADAM, an extension of the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children and the FBI are actively assisting with the ongoing investigation into the disappearance of baby Shannon.

http://www.chipleypaper.com/news/search-4633-dedrick-news.html

Wynn Road runs between Brown Street and Peach Street in Chipley.

Yes, being a case worker is a very hard job. I had a roommate after college that tried to work as a case worker for almost two years before she quit and became a teacher. God bless those dedicated case workers that work for the welfare of the child.

HRS, now known as DCF, use to take children away from their parents just based upon allegations. A daycare worker reported a friend whose 4-year old had a bruise on her leg, and her child was taken away from her by HRS. She and her husband fought the system with the help of her boss and my neighbor, John Ostalkiewicz, who later ran for one term as a Florida State Senator.

In 1996, Florida State Senator John Ostalkiewicz called for a full-scale investigation of the Florida Department of Health and Rehabilitative Services after hearing testimony from parents and experts, all of whom told horror stories of child abuse investigations mismanaged by the state agency.

http://fightagainstcps.tripod.com/id23.html

I know here, all CPS Social Workers are required to have a Masters Degree. Which means they are HIGHLY educated and start off at 40k. That is insane. When I was a waitress I made more than that a year.

These people are clearly in it for the kids, not the money.

The pregnant woman missing in Florida has been found dead. Body washed ashore. Per CNN...

The pregnant woman missing in Florida has been found dead. Body washed ashore. Per CNN...

Oh Amster, tell me this isn't so ... way too much for my aching head. This is so terribly sad.

Eleph

Unbelievable that there are 8 k-9 units on the ground and nothing has been picked up yet. Plus helicopters in the air today and carrying on into this evening.

Maybe baby Shannon isn't on the ground in Chipley?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cyclic8