GUILTY FL - Shannon Dedrick, 7 mo., Chipley, 31 Oct 2009 #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't get past this either. I'm smelling some manipulation somehow by SB. What a perfect story to spin to LE. "Well sirs, you see it wasn't a kidnapping, mom gave the baby to me"......yeah that's the ticket.

ETA: I'm going to have to see and read mom's confession before I buy this.

Exactly. My head is spinning. SB is related to Shannon's dad, could Tina have thought about letting SB have Shannon then changed her mind ? Tina calls SB to tell her and SB says the baby was missing ?
That could be the reason the call to LE was delayed. SB telling Tina that if she reported that SB lost the baby that she'd tell them and her bf that she
was giving her away ?
IDK, I just can't rationalize any of this.

Has anyone seen a picture of Shannon smiling, she doesn't come across as a "happy baby". I hope to goodness it is part of her condition, and not a product of her treatment in life.

The sheriff's comment about bloggers hindering... I'm going to find it but I do believe he said it towards the end of today's midday presser.

I don't get it. If mom & SB planned this together, why did SB publicly proclaim that Tina was responsible and needed to come clean with where she put the baby? If she wanted to keep Shannon, she wouldn't want LE to focus on her co-conspirator. I'd think she'd want to portray Tina as the loving mother of a missing child who was incapable of hurting her.
If Tina is mentally 'challenged', could she have kept up this farce for so long ?
Something is really fishy, IMO.

I think that in her twisted mind SB may have thought that Shannon would be better off with her than with her own parents.

My question is... what incentive was there for the baby's mother to turn Shannon over to SB? Was there money involved? Or, maybe the temptation of avoiding future DCF visits and drug testing? Meaning she would be free to smoke pot if the baby was gone.

I hate to sound cold, but sheesh!

scandi, I reported a woman slapping a child. they investigated, and that incident had nothing to do with Shannon.

The sheriff's comment about bloggers hindering... I'm going to find it but I do believe he said it towards the end of today's midday presser.

Rather than get offensive, which was my first reaction, I'd like to be a bit more proactive now and find out what they meant. If we hindered the investigation and there is a valid reason as to why we did, we need to know. It is not anyone's intention here to get in the way of LE.

7 month old baby girl in a cedar chest with the lid closed - a pseudocasket in my mind! I hope Sb gets life if not something worse. What if Shannon had spit up and choked???? I would love just 15 minutes with that animal who put her in the box. Sorry, am a nicu/peds nurse.

I'd love just 15 minutes with her AND the box. It'd be a tight fit, but any excess could be lopped off as needed.

Has anyone seen a picture of Shannon smiling, she doesn't come across as a "happy baby". I hope to goodness it is part of her condition, and not a product of her treatment in life.

No, but I don't get the impression that she's sad either.

I'd rather grow up being known as the "baby in the box" than the "boy in the balloon". No wonder she is smiling! :wink:

In the CPS reports that were released - they stated Shannon "smiles appropriately at family members".

Rather than get offensive, which was my first reaction, I'd like to be a bit more proactive now and find out what they meant. If we hindered the investigation and there is a valid reason as to why we did, we need to know. It is not anyone's intention here to get in the way of LE.

I did the same thing at first but we should know if we hindered things or if they're talking about Tab.

Grrr... can anyone find the complete presser from this afternoon? The only ones I can find cut off before the comment about bloggers!

I'm still behind. But I did want to say, in case it hasn't been said, it was Tab herself that said that the sheriff said bloggers were hindering the investigation. I don't think there's much legitimate info coming from her.

Bloggers HINDERED the investigation? WHY? Did they want to keep OBSERVING SB and JB while the baby remained living in a cedar BOX?

I really would love to know what in the heck is going on with LE on this case. I am hoping there is a REASONABLE explanation. From the outside, it looks like bloggers HASTENED Shannon's discovery!!!

Maybe they mean Tab and her posts(which they always call blogs) hindered the case?

I get procedure, and le have to do things by the book, but seriously if they had SB in their sights from the get go then surely her past, her contact with Shannon, her behaviour, her van being seen in the driveway that morning etc would have been enough probable cause to get a search warrant immediately.
If it were my baby missing I sure as heck wouldnt want them to just keep surveilence on the place she may be located.
Get a warrant and storm in there and save the child!!!
Having said that, I am so greatful they found Shannon and their emotions were very touching.
Eastcost and Clea did a great job, but I dont want to overlook all the other WS'ers who connected the dots. Can't remember who you all are cause the threads were moving so fast, but you know who you are, and GREAT WORK!!

Let's not be so quick to criticize this sheriff and his team. They've had one of the rare successes in this type of case, and most likely it's because they did everything right. Keep in mind that they did indeed know SB's background -- she already had a record in this county due to her (and JB's) extradition to Beaufort County, SC in 2000. They knew she (and I think JB too) had been formally charged in connection with the disappearance and presumed murder of 3 year old Paul Baker. They knew she had been convicted of severely beating a young girl in her care, Paul's sister. In other words, they had good reason to believe this is someone who assaults and KILLS children. People like this can decide to kill without hesitation, the second they think it's in their own best interests.

LE had Tina the whole time -- not sure if she was technically "in custody", but she would have been quickly if she'd tried to leave (they may have had her in some sort of "protective custody" due to her mental disability). They were keeping her away from SB/JB and probably getting a lot of information from her. They may well have known early on that Tina had given Shannon to SB and that the plan was for SB to take care of Shannon. Their number one priority had to be not triggering anything that would cause SB to kill Shannon, before they dould plant themselves physically between SB/JB and the presumed location of the Shannon (which dogs may have identified as SB/JB's house very early on).

What they needed NOT to do was head over to the house with SB or JB in it, with SB (and I think JB) knowing exactly where in the house Shannon was, while all police knew was that they were pretty sure Shannon was somewhere in the house. If SB saw police coming, and Shannon was starting to fuss enough to be heard from the box under the bed, SB could very well have decided to kill Shannon on the spot. A quick opening of the box to strap duct tape tightly around Shannon's mouth and nose and wrists, close up the box -- less than a minute, when she's planned for this possibility -- then invite the police on in with confidence that there would be no baby noises. I'm really, really glad LE didn't go that route.

We don't know all the details of what LE knew and when, but it's unlikely they did anything really stupid. They were no doubt hampered a bit by the need for either permission from SB/JB for a search, or a search warrant, and I don't know why there was several hours delay (apparently) from the time LE got SB and JB out of the house, to when they went into the house, but I'm perfectly willing to assume at this point that they knew a lot about the details fo the situation, and were basing their decisions on what they knew.

Bump. Excellent post. This is one of the few cases we here can celebrate. The baby was found ALIVE. LE did an excellent job! We need to focus our anger where it belongs - on the perpetrators of this crime.

Bump. Excellent post. This is one of the few cases we here can celebrate. The baby was found ALIVE. LE did an excellent job! We need to focus our anger where it belongs - on the perpetrators of this crime.

I totally agree.

I don't know -- maybe it's just me, but would we be smiling if we were left in a box for 12 hours with no food or water, and sitting in a dirty diaper, picked up by strangers unknown, taken to a hospital, then brought to a presser at 1:00 in the morning where, I'm sure, Shannon was completely confused by all the madness.

I think she was just precious, and was quite suprised she wasn't hollerin. She wasn't laughing, or smiling....but she looked awfully darn content for the horror that was her day.

I believe we'll see pictures of this precious one smiling soon :) I also don't recall Shannon having a "condition" -- only hearing horrible remarks that she looked like one of the 7 dwarfs (that still makes me mad). Does anyone have a link that confirms Shannon has a "condition".

Hugs,

Mel

Shannon's mommy and daddy are no longer together.

Guess not....She's in jail....He is not...DUH!!!!

In the CPS reports that were released - they stated Shannon "smiles appropriately at family members".

In the video from the middle of the night press conference, I was struck by Shannon's contented interaction with all the people who were handling her and cooing at her and taking pictures of her. Possibly, as some have suggested, SB had given her something to keep her groggy and quiet, like antihistamines maybe, and it's possible the effects hadn't entirely worn off yet, but I don't there was much effect still left, even if she had been drugged -- she was pretty alert. She wasn't grinning from ear to ear at any point (and why should she be -- remember, she has no clue what's been going on, and may have slept through most of what we're thinking of as her horrible ordeal), but she seemed alert and interested in all these people, and most importantly, not afraid. She just came across as a baby who's very comfortable with people in general -- not hesitant or fearful when a new person picks her up or approaches her, as you often see in babies who've have some bad experiences -- just readily assuming this was another nice interesting big person, because that's all she knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cowboy89