GUILTY FL - Shannon Dedrick, 7 mo., Chipley, 31 Oct 2009 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I keep seeing TM being referred to as being bi-polar. The only place I have seen that claim was in SB's email to the gov. SB certainly isn't qualified to make that determination. Was there an official diagnosis somewhere along the line? There have been so many details though I may have missed more about the bi-polar disorder.

Hi SQ,
How are those beautiful Utah mountains today?

Sorry if someone has already answered you. In the DCF report, it says that TM told DCF that she is both Bi-polar and ADHD.

Finally - all caught up. So many posters made so many good posts that I wanted to respond to, but I didn't want to slow myself down. NOW - I have to go get dressed - ughhhh.

Salem

Finally - all caught up. So many posters made so many good posts that I wanted to respond to, but I didn't want to slow myself down. NOW - I have to go get dressed - ughhhh.

Salem
Don't you hate that? It seems like I leave for a half hour lunch and that's when everything happens. I come back, and there are 2 new threads on a case. In trying to catch up, I want to respond to so many posts, but I don't because I don't know if I'm too far behind. LOL.

Hi SQ,
How are those beautiful Utah mountains today?

Sorry if someone has already answered you. In the DCF report, it says that TM told DCF that she is both Bi-polar and ADHD.

Beautiful, clear, sunny and almost 70 degrees. We should have snow on the ground. But I'm loving it.

Thanks everyone for the info on TM's bi-polar disorder. I like to make sure to seperate in my head what's fact or ficton. And sometimes I just read to fast to catch everything.

Today I was talking to a foster mother at school. The baby she had had been a preemie and neglected. The baby has allot of problems due to the parents being on drugs.
Even her eye sight.......almost blind.
Well the baby is alittle over 4 months and weighs 12 pounds. As I watched the baby it played with hands and bubbles with mouth. Moved to look at people when we talked.
Had a grin here and there. A very big difference then the 7 month old Shannon.
Shannon hasn't had the love and care and humane treatment. It's big time noticeable, IMO.

Beautiful, clear, sunny and almost 70 degrees. We should have snow on the ground. But I'm loving it.

Thanks everyone for the info on TM's bi-polar disorder. I like to make sure to seperate in my head what's fact or ficton. And sometimes I just read to fast to catch everything.

TM was collecting SSI so she would have to have a disability to receive it.It was in one of the first articles not sure which one.How do we know that the Grand Mother's nails were not already done before Shannon even went missing?I have a sister who goes every week to keep her nails up.

Today I was talking to a foster mother at school. The baby she had had been a preemie and neglected. The baby has allot of problems due to the parents being on drugs.
Well the baby is alittle over 4 months and weighs 12 pounds. As I watched the baby it played with hands and bubbles with mouth. Moved to look at people when we talked.
Shannon hasn't had the love and care and humane treatment. It's big time noticeable, IMO.

Oh my gosh, how sad for that sweet baby :( I'll never understand why these parents can't put their children before themselves. The poor childrens' lives are ruined because of the parents' selfish actions. But they don't care because they're not the ones who have to live with blindness, mental disabilities, and anything else caused by their drug use. It's so sad.

The way Shannon reached out for that lady (Aunt? TM's roomate? Who was she anyway?) was so sweet yet heartbreaking at the same time. That sweet little angel deserves to be held and cuddled and just loved like she's probably never been loved before. I really hope the couple she is staying with is showing her the love and affection she needs and wants.

ITA. My son is 6 months old and he has quite the little personality already. He is very involved with people, he is very vocal, and he is very squirmy. Shannon seems to just sit quietly, not making a peep. On the Elizabeth Olten thread, it's been suggested that her killer may have a disorder that is caused by no interaction when a child is a baby. I can't remember the disorders name (Hopefully someone else can fill that in). Basically, the child is ignored, nobody comes when it cries, nobody fixes what's wrong, and they learn that nobody will be there if they "reach out" so to speak. So they just stop. They have no trust that others care for them. And they are essentially empty of many emotions because they never learned them from a care giver. I think it's said that as of 3 years old, this would be irreversible. I sincerely hope that Shannon is young enough to undo any of that type of damage.

orb4me I noticed the same thing about the grandma's nails being freshly-manicured, like she was "ready for prime-time" (IMHO). It indeed caught my eye.

Also yes they need to look into SB's background and movements over the last 22 or so years, see if she's been involved in anything else like this. If she's pathological (again, IMHO) then it didn't stop with Paul and just start again with Shannon.

You could not miss the nails.

I agree about looking into SB....I am sure they will.

The thing that keep bothering me is....what was she going to do with Shannon??

I hope the mom isn't let off easy. She knew enough to keep up the scam.

This is awfully judgemental, when we don't really know all the circumstances or the extent/nature of Tina's mental disability. Suppose you were mildly retarded, and a woman who's a relative of your husband and has been babysitting your infant convinces you that the state is going to take your baby away from you and never let you see her again, but if you give her the baby and tell police she just "disappeared", the woman says she'll hide the baby until things calm down and then let you see the baby whenever you want. So you're scared of losing your baby forever and decide you'd better go along with this plan. Then once the woman has your baby, she warns you that if you tell police what really happened, she'll kill the baby and hide the body so there won't be any evidence (against the woman).

Tina may very well have been faced with some heavy manipulation, deliberately designed to frighten and confuse her, that she simply didn't have the ability to figure out and react appropriately to. The accusations that Tina is fully responsible for this strike me as every bit as inappropriate as when many people (not here, as far as I know) were claiming Elizabeth Smart obviously went and stayed willingly with her kidnapper -- it was just so "obvious" that she had many opportunities to escape and "chose" not to. I never bought into that view, but many peopel did, and just recently we finally heard a lot of the details, including that she was forcibly drugged and drunk much of the time. Objectively speaking, sure, there were many times when she was out in public with Brian and Wanda, and could have pulled down the veil and yelled "Help! I'm Elizabeth Smart! I need to get away from these people!" Seems easy, but it just wasn't for her. And remember, Elizabeth was a mentally normal (in fact, very smart, it seems) 14-15 year old during her ordeal. Tina has been reported by a family member to have a mental age of about 13.

If we're going to call for punishment of anyone other than SB (and JB if he knew what was going on), it should be the social workers who had plenty of opportunities to interview Tina, and to request evaluations from psychologists/psychiatrists, and who had been advised by Tina's mother that Tina wasn't capable of parenting -- and yet still insisted on leaving Tina and Rusty (who has also been reported to have some mental deficiency), raising Shannon independently.

. Did anyone notice gms and daughters nicely done fingernails?????? is that something you do when you know your granddaughter is missing and your child is mentally challanged and needs you?

I'm not sure when it was that you noticed this, but my guess would be that either they'd done their nails at home before they learned Shannon was missing, or some local salon in Chipley had offered them free manicures as a gift/favor, knowing they'd be facing the media a lot. There were long periods of waiting, before Shannon was found, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if a local salon offered to do this. They've probably been getting freebies from various businesses, since it seemed to be well known that they had very little money, and had had to scrape together gas money before they could begin their drive to Florida.

This is awfully judgemental, when we don't really know all the circumstances or the extent/nature of Tina's mental disability. Suppose you were mildly retarded, and a woman who's a relative of your husband and has been babysitting your infant convinces you that the state is going to take your baby away from you and never let you see her again, but if you give her the baby and tell police she just "disappeared", the woman says she'll hide the baby until things calm down and then let you see the baby whenever you want. So you're scared of losing your baby forever and decide you'd better go along with this plan. Then once the woman has your baby, she warns you that if you tell police what really happened, she'll kill the baby and hide the body so there won't be any evidence (against the woman).

Tina may very well have been faced with some heavy manipulation, deliberately designed to frighten and confuse her, that she simply didn't have the ability to figure out and react appropriately to. The accusations that Tina is fully responsible for this strike me as every bit as inappropriate as when many people (not here, as far as I know) were claiming Elizabeth Smart obviously went and stayed willingly with her kidnapper -- it was just so "obvious" that she had many opportunities to escape and "chose" not to. I never bought into that view, but many peopel did, and just recently we finally heard a lot of the details, including that she was forcibly drugged and drunk much of the time. Objectively speaking, sure, there were many times when she was out in public with Brian and Wanda, and could have pulled down the veil and yelled "Help! I'm Elizabeth Smart! I need to get away from these people!" Seems easy, but it just wasn't for her. And remember, Elizabeth was a mentally normal (in fact, very smart, it seems) 14-15 year old during her ordeal. Tina has been reported by a family member to have a mental age of about 13.

If we're going to call for punishment of anyone other than SB (and JB if he knew what was going on), it should be the social workers who had plenty of opportunities to interview Tina, and to request evaluations from psychologists/psychiatrists, and who had been advised by Tina's mother that Tina wasn't capable of parenting -- and yet still insisted on leaving Tina and Rusty (who has also been reported to have some mental deficiency), raising Shannon independently.

yeah i think that sb was the brains behind this but le has charged tina as well and i dont think they would be doing that if she was truly innocent of any wrong doing...idk, just mho
i am more interested in finding out what the heck sb was going to do with the baby?? :eek: probably will never get the truth about that tho

We keep hearing that she functions at a teen level, but we also keep hearing that that is becuase her body and mind stopped growing at 14. I saw the pictures from the first time SB and mother walked into court...that's an old 14.

Her cousin who was posting here said she'd seemed pretty normal until around middle school, but then just seemed to stop developing both physically and mentally. She also mentioned very specifically that Tina weighed 67 pounds around the time she got pregnant with Shannon. If she was anywhere near that, it's certainly not normal adult size (though it appears she filled out quite a bit during/since the pregnancy), and is also consistent with Shannon being born somewhat prematurely and way below normal birthweight (even more than the degree of prematurity would normally account for, as I recall). I doubt we'll ever be privy to all the medical details, but it does sound something is very concretely wrong with her.

Re the time in the box, one of the articles I read said the sheriff had said he knew that Shannon wasn't kept in the box the whole time she was missing.

The accusations that Tina is fully responsible for this strike me as every bit as inappropriate as when many people (not here, as far as I know) were claiming Elizabeth Smart obviously went and stayed willingly with her kidnapper -- it was just so "obvious" that she had many opportunities to escape and "chose" not to. I never bought into that view, but many peopel did, and just recently we finally heard a lot of the details, including that she was forcibly drugged and drunk much of the time. Objectively speaking, sure, there were many times when she was out in public with Brian and Wanda, and could have pulled down the veil and yelled "Help! I'm Elizabeth Smart! I need to get away from these people!" Seems easy, but it just wasn't for her. And remember, Elizabeth was a mentally normal (in fact, very smart, it seems) 14-15 year old during her ordeal. Tina has been reported by a family member to have a mental age of about 13.

I read many of those accusations as well when Elizabeth Smart was found. It made me literally sick to my stomach. Elizabeth Smart and Laci Peterson are the first cases I followed, and the reason I'm here today. I was born and raised in Utah, and Elizabeth's case was very close to my heart. I was so unbelievably happy when she was found alive (Most of us didn't dare to hope) and I came crashing down to earth when I saw what people were posting about her online. I'm so glad that she is so strong and brave to get out there and tell her story. This girl was raped at least once within every 24 hour period for the 9 months she was held captive.

has anyone found out any news today, or if ok with mods news from family how she is doing? I can't find anything.

TIA

yeah i think that sb was the brains behind this but le has charged tina as well and i dont think they would be doing that if she was truly innocent of any wrong doing

Not necessarily. Charges are often brought against a person who is known to be mentally disabled, in order to provide leverage to get the person to agree to treatment, guardianship, or whatever steps are appropriate for their mental problem. Example: Tina's mother previously tried to persuade Tina to come and live with her parents in Texas when she found out Tina was having a baby, and Tina absolutely refused. Her mother also apparently had some contact with DCF also, trying to convince them Tina wasn't capable of parenting, but was told there weren't ground to force Tina to either live with someone else or lose custody of Shannon.

NOW, facing criminal charges, Tina will be presented with some choices in court, which won't require endless rounds of medical/social worker testimony to *prove* the extent of her mental disability (which would be the case if she was challenging it). Instead the court can just take the recommendation of professionals that Tina should be put under someone's legal guardianship (probably her mother's/parnets'), and give Tina to the choice to either accept that in exchange for having charges dropped, or keep on insisting she can handle her life and her child's life on her own, and face criminal charges that will almost certainly put her in prison for a while. Living with her parents isn't likely to look so bad, when prison is the alternative (and assuming her parents handle this correctly, Tina will stay in jail awaiting trial unless she agrees to this, because nobody will be coughing up her $75,000 bail). The charges are a legal shortcut to an appropriate resolution.

I fully expect this is how it will play out, and that Tina will agree before too long, and end up with her parents as her legal guardians. And I *hope* little Shannon will soon be living with her mother and grandparents, because that looks to me like the ideal arrangement. The grandmother certainly seems to have her act together, and Rusty's family (if he's even actually the father, which seems to be uncertain) seem like a prety sketchy bunch from what we know so far. If some other man is the biological father, it's someone who's been out of the picture since Shannon was born, and won't likely have a very strong claim to custody, if he even wants it.

Read the CPS report. I'm not sure if the word bipolar is redacted or not, but the whole report (including redacted info) is visible when you print it out.
I'm basing the bipolar statement on that.

ETA: Although apparently not visible to everyone, it is to me, but apparently doesn't come through for everyone.

Can you see the other reason Shannon was taken to the ER? One was the rolling off the bed...what was the other?

Her cousin who was posting here said she'd seemed pretty normal until around middle school, but then just seemed to stop developing both physically and mentally. She also mentioned very specifically that Tina weighed 67 pounds around the time she got pregnant with Shannon.

I recall that differently, although I admit that I am not going back to the original post. As I remember it she said that the mother was small and gained 67 lb during the pregnancy.

<snip>

Her sister-in-law, Valerie Shirley, still believes she's innocent.
"I believe she was framed. I believe Tina set her up on that."
more here

http://www.wjhg.com/home/headlines/69431242.html

oh yeah right -- momTM thought this whole 'hide the baby' fiasco so she could frame SB? whatever.

<snip>

Her sister-in-law, Valerie Shirley, still believes she's innocent.
"I believe she was framed. I believe Tina set her up on that."
more here

http://www.wjhg.com/home/headlines/69431242.html

oh yeah right -- momTM thought this whole 'hide the baby' fiasco so she could frame SB? whatever.

Of course, Tm snuck over in the middle of the night, pulled a bunch of stuff out from under the bed of sleeping SB & hubby, placed bumper pads, drilled air holes, ran to store and returned with baking powder, shut baby in cedar box, closes lid, shoves under bed, replaces bunches of other stuff under bed, etc, etc, BS

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava l
Back