FL - Somer Thompson, 7, Orange Park, 19 Oct 2009 #15

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My impression is she wanted to say more. Maybe give an example of a time she felt Somer was overly friendly. From her comment it seems she has seen more then one instance of Somer behaving this way, and maybe with people this woman considers to be unsavory or inappropriate in some way.
This may be her way of trying to express something hinky without painting Somer or her family in a bad light.
All just my speculation.
This is kinda what I thought as maybe hink lies within her own home.......sure curious about her way of thinking and why she would be so quick to place inappropriate behaviour on the child, rather than the perp......just sayin.......jmooc

Good Morning everyone. Not sure if this has been discussed but I am beginning to think maybe a homeless person was involved. What do you all think?

I am not sure of anything in particular. I drive to and from work everyday and I see them out and about. In fact I saw what appeared like a homeless person on Blanding northbound with a hoodie, covered head, and a backpack and a plastic bag. That is where my thought came from. They are in plain sight at times and may even be dismissed. They seem to have their own community and they have their ways of getting around I am sure. It was cool during that week. Soot could have come from the house but also could have come from a burning pit or can or karosene torches? I am probably way off the mark, again it was just a thought I wanted to put out there.

Thanks

if DT wrote her daughter's name inside of her backpacks.

Do any of you have any more thoughts on this? This is kind of eating at me.

I've tried to find info on the 4 children from JAX 20 years ago. Has anyone else been able to find anything?

Shadow - did local reports actually put her past debarry on Gano and still moving in that direction?

I know the 3rd crossing guard could not remember seeing her - did anyone else that you know of?

The guard simply may not remember - but we have not heard of anyone else seeing her that far down heve we?

I specifically asked the officer I spoke with if the children had any idea of where they last saw her and was told the last they saw her she was heading past the Debarry/Gano intersection and got out of sight in the midst of other children heading home.

We started getting better information the next day and night but I think by then she was gone.

The crappiest part about these types of cases is that the survival rate of the missing drops significantly as time goes on forcing you to go on fragmented and possibly incorrect information at the start. Can't really blame LE or anyone for that matter about it, however it does make some of us who were searching get the "what-ifs". What if I went another block, what if I wasn't listening long enough for her to reply to us calling her name and so on. It's very disheartening.

I've tried to find info on the 4 children from JAX 20 years ago. Has anyone else been able to find anything?

I think it was longer ago than that (35 years) and there was discussion. I'm sorry I can't help by telling you what thread. But I know various links have been posted as "maybe they were talking about this case and this case and this case" ...

Just thinking you could see what date John Walsh (is that who said it?) made that comment and check what dates the threads were covering and go from there?

Quote: Originally Posted by Noway[ame="http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4391358#post4391358"]
viewpost.gif
[/ame]

Newly Created Map
edit after the post was quoted
Estimating and looking at another map, OPJH would be past the bottom left corner area where this map ends? It's past Dolphin which does not show on this map. Will try to edit this just for reference.

That's correct.
That's correct.

I've updated the map and edited by first post. I'll update the link in my signature too.

Found the below on an old version of these boards

http://74.125.113.132/search?q=cach...acksonville+fl"+70's&cd=9&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Monday, November 23, 1998
By Sandy Strickland
Times-Union staff writer

Jean Marie Schoen was the first little girl to vanish that tragic summer of 1974.In all, there were five girls, ages 6 to 12, who disappeared within a three-month span in Jacksonville. Only two bodies were ever found.

The five abductions - coming so close and apparently unrelated - were unprecedented, said a veteran Jacksonville police officer.

Nine-year-old Jean Marie, known as Jeanie, disappeared July 21 after going to a store near her grandmother's house on West 19th Street in Springfield.

Lillian Annette Anderson, 11, and her sister, Mylette, 6, disappeared from their Oceanway home Aug. 1 while their mother was attending a sick relative.

Virginia Helm, 12, disappeared Sept. 27 while going to a convenience store a block from her home on Dean Road on the Southside. A month later, her body was found in a shallow grave south of Beach Boulevard. She had been shot through the head.

And Rebecca Ann Greene, 12, disappeared Oct. 12 after buying soft drinks at a store in her Fairfield neighborhood. Her skeleton was found three years later on Heckscher Drive.

Shadowizar, they were relying on information provided by children which sadly is not reliable. I wonder if they had determined that CS was wrong thinking she'd seen Somer at Gano and Grove Park. And whoever thought they saw her past Gano and DeBarry was wrong too.

Although I wondered if she'd try to find her brother. Then I found out he got out an hour after them ... which still worked ... her walking down to the junior high, maybe waiting down there somewhere. And then the focus was the 1080 house and that was out the window.

Don't know if these links to Anna B. comments is what you want (or if it works).

http://www.news4jax.com/news/21389523/detail.html

http://www.news4jax.com/video/21344324/index.html

http://www.news4jax.com/news/21342995/detail.html

21344315_240X135.jpg

You'll see that this information was later wrong. Maybe?

That was the original information, the lighter marking to the bottom right of the dot is OPJH.

There was a post back a few days that I cannot find again where people were discussing a burgundy van and AA. Then someone posted abouta clip they saw of a white van pulled over. Interested in that clip to see if the van matches that of the suspect in Albany.

Shadowizar, they were relying on information provided by children which sadly is not reliable. I wonder if they had determined that CS was wrong thinking she'd seen Somer at Gano and Grove Park. And whoever thought they saw her past Gano and DeBarry was wrong too.

Although I wondered if she'd try to find her brother. Then I found out he got out an hour after them ... which still worked ... her walking down to the junior high, maybe waiting down there somewhere. And then the focus was the 1080 house and that was out the window.

Don't know if these links to Anna B. comments is what you want (or if it works).

http://www.news4jax.com/news/21389523/detail.html

http://www.news4jax.com/video/21344324/index.html

I think the only information they have is from children walking home that day. To my knowledge there hasn't been a statement from an adult, except Kyle, as to where an adult saw Somer that afternoon. So if all you have are kids around to see something, you have to rely on kids for the information.
Wonder what time Kyle puts Somer at the house on Gano Ave. Weird he is the only adult to account for her that afternoon.

Realistically Somer could have been at all the locations the kids described on Gano Avenue at different times. She also could have gone a certain distance and turned around. While I don't think kids are great at placing a time on an event that occured, I do think they are reliable remembering where they saw something. If you ask them why they remember an event took place at _____ they'll usually respond with a memory of something else in that area that caught their attention also. Like oh, cause it was just past that gigantic tree or something like that. Most kids stop and smell the roses and notice everything.

ETA: Where is Madeira in relation to all of this? I don't see it on the map and it was stated the focus was Debarry to Madeira, correct?

The only other adult was the crossing guard who said he/she did not see Somer AFAIK.

That was the original information, the lighter marking to the bottom right of the dot is OPJH.

There was a post back a few days that I cannot find again where people were discussing a burgundy van and AA. Then someone posted abouta clip they saw of a white van pulled over. Interested in that clip to see if the van matches that of the suspect in Albany.

I posted about the burgandy van that parked at the AA meeting place. A local recognized the name of the guy who drove the van on a police event report because the guy was ticketed on the stop that day (10/23??)for smashed back light or something like that. There is also a photo of him being stopped. He is wearing a big straw hat. the local is initially the one who posted about him but recently I think I posted a question or something about it.
Someone else chimed in about a white van that was stopped around the same location. Maybe if you search my posts for my posts about the burgandy van it will lead you to the white van comments.

somewhere shannon paulk and 2 other girls were mentioned but i am not sure what brought up those cases in these threads. someone even posted a side by side of the sketch in the Paulk case with CWG's rso picture, and it was eerily similar. I am vaguely familiar with the Paulk case so it stuck in my head.
I think if you go to Shannon's threads here on WS the other girls are mentioned. They were abductions that happened 2 years apart from each other in August each year.
I don't think they were in Jacksonville though.

Map shows Maderia in relation to OPJH

It was further west and I could not get it on the map with the other points of interest. Since it ended up being wrong, I just left it out.

OPJH is on bottom right; West Cherry Elemen. is on top left (Maderia is down from the elem. to Gano).

I do wonder who reported she was seen there and what time they thought they saw her (if it was feasible that she could have gone that far by whatever time she was seen).

In the end, it must not have been since the focus is back down around Solomon and Gano.

hey sharethelight! I too remember your post about the van (AA man/gas station man van which is actually on a video clip being pulled over for busted out tail light).. and I vaguely recall the white one...

I wish, wish, WISH that LE would keep this case in the media spotlight! Unless they have the perp why WOULDN'T they want the public's assistance? And the best way to get that is thru the media....

I wish they could follow the example set by LE in the Sandra Cantu case... they may not have had jack crap to say in their daily updates after her body was found but I truly believe it kept pressure on Huckaby and made her do the stupid things she did to get herself caught.

I hope LE is onto someone and we will hear about it soon...

I do wonder who reported she was seen there and what time they thought they saw her (if it was feasible that she could have gone that far by whatever time she was seen).

In the end, it must not have been since the focus is back down around Solomon and Gano.

I don't know?? She could have walked that far, maybe trying to go to her brother's school (who knows what goes through the mind of an upset child) and then walked back down. She would of had to of passed her turn (again) but maybe she was set on going somewhere else, the park maybe?? Or maybe she walked that far and was lured away up there? the focus would still be solomon and gano if for some reason she ended up back there by some other means.

Can a local tell me whether Somer's school has dumpsters and where they are located? I'm in street view and figured it might be faster to ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raine73