Not open for further replies.
VIDEO REPORT: Vigils Held For Somer Thompson
http://www.wftv.com/video/21387671/index.html
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Investigators Say They Will be Working All Through the Night
Created: 10/21/2009 11:12:10 PM
Updated: 10/21/2009 11:56:07 PM
<snipped>
They brought in massive amounts of lights, and they say they plan on working all through the night.

With the Chesser Island Landfill now a crime scene, investigators are working to both identify and figure out what killed the child that was found there.

Crews will continue working in the landfill all night. The GBI and the FBI are now in charge of moving the body.

Investigators are not sure when that will happen yet, but the body will go straight to Savannah for an autopsy.

Article:
http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/topstories/news-article.aspx?storyid=147046&catid=3

:rose: Rest In Peace Somer! :rose:

:angel:

It's good for them that they have you. My parents are dead and my husband's live far away. My mom was an enormous help with my oldest, but even at my age, it's hard when you don't have any kind of back-up or support.
It's hard to find someone you can trust to take care of your kids, with the cost of housing now, it's almost impossible to live on one income, both parents have to work.
If I were single and trying to manage on one income, I could picture myself being in this mother's shoes.

I have yet to see any study that shows the connection, however. Read through the cases here and you will find molesters that killed their victims in states without the DP and molesters that let their victims live is states with the DP.

I'm pro DP for child molesters because I feel they are damaged goods that can't be fixed. If you take the position that the DP does not deter other molesters than all we have done is execute a bunch of molesters, I'm cool with that.

If we can show a link between lack of a DP and more victims living I'd be all for taking the DP off the table for these junk humans. Unless and until that event I say give them all the needle after we're sure they're guilty.

Great Post... Lots of great posts tonight.. Now how do we fix it so the victims get the justice they deserve??

Ideas to stop this from happening again?:

Here's a link, for example, of how to get state initiatives on the ballot on California:
http://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/initiative_guide.htm

Here's a link showing Project Kid Safe tried a few times to pass a one strike law in California which "died in committee":
http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cach...nia&cd=6&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

I also saw a link for a 2005 petition for a one strike law in my state that got a mere 45 votes.

I can go on but this is probably not the thread for it. Did we get one up and running yet, a brainstorming, activist site for the prevention of such crimes?

severely off topic.. and sorry for being so..

but the reasons we all are here are varied. Mine has to do with the abduction, rape and murder of my gradeschool classmate Tina Marie Harmon who was abducted on the way home from my small town Ohio school while we were in elementary school together... It has never left me.. this fear of some sicko taking you from the store while you try to buy penny candy after school.. .after you get off the bus and are in the fluffly part of the cloud of dozens of other kids while it happens!

http://www.indeonline.com/local_new...in-1981-wants-investigtors-to-reopen-the-case

this above link happened to my classmate...my friend... my school... my town.. When I see Somer's case I cannot help but draw parallels to a child walking home from school and getting taken! It breaks my heart! It takes me painfully back too. I want whomever did this FOUND....and RIGHT AWAY!

I am sorry nurse. That's so sad. I can't imagine your pain. I've lived here in Ohio and never followed any cases until HaLeigh. My oldest is 21 now, and I never checked registery's for RSO'S or had to watch her like a hawk. Now that I have 4 little one's (started all over) I will know where they are at all times. I hope they thank me one day.

I have yet to see any study that shows the connection, however. Read through the cases here and you will find molesters that killed their victims in states without the DP and molesters that let their victims live is states with the DP.

I'm pro DP for child molesters because I feel they are damaged goods that can't be fixed. If you take the position that the DP does not deter other molesters than all we have done is execute a bunch of molesters, I'm cool with that.

If we can show a link between lack of a DP and more victims living I'd be all for taking the DP off the table for these junk humans. Unless and until that event I say give them all the needle after we're sure they're guilty.

States have the DP don't have the DP for child molestation though, do they? I've never heard of one. That's what I'm talking about. Not all CM's murder their victims.

My worry is that if they face the same penalty for CM as for murder, they will murder the child. I fear for the children, not whether or not the DP is a deterrant.

The facts of this case are that 3 elementary school children had to walk 1 mile home, while SP was at home awaiting their arrival. This isn't a case of no one being able to fetch the children home from school. If you have absolutely no one to help you with your children and they must walk alone, then there's nothing to be done.

The 3 children were in a group and there were crossing guards...That didn't save her.

Blame is a good thing. It singles out reasons for failure. It helps people see their faults. It helps us move forward.

They're not his children and the mom couldn't force him to pick them up.
Yes, she could have dumped him for it but then she wouldn't have had anybody there when they got home.
Why not blame the that committed the crime, and if he is a RSO, the system that let him out to offend again.
Why blame her for going to work and not having anybody to pick them up ?

oh help me please.. I keep getting double quotes and don't mean to....I don;t know why its doing it in this thread only tho.. when I click thanks button the quote button is turning red.. I didnt mean to quote that person in your quote ...

I agree and yesterday I tried to make a difference. O/T but I want to share. I live in FL but read about the inmates being released in North Carolina due to a Life Sentence does not equal Life if they were sentenced in the 1970's. The inmates are entitled to gain time and Life is only 80 years. But with all of the inmate programs and gain time 20 violent offenders are about to be released. One of them brought their case to the Supreme Court and the court sided with the inmates. So with our tax dollars for a public defender the court had no choice but to set them free due to the current laws. These inmates are kidnappers, murderer's and rapists. I myself was kidnapped and raped by a man who was in a work release even though he was only 3 years into a 100 year sentence. I wrote my letter yesterday to the Fraternal Order of Police who is starting a crusade against letting these inmates out and he asked if he could use my letter to show the governor. I replied absolutely and if there was anything else that I could do to prevent these men from getting out of prison to please let me know and that I want to help. I was 22 years old when I was kidnapped and raped, it changed me and my life. No matter how hard I try to over come the tragedy that happened to me with a gun to my head and knife to my throat. I don't want anyone else's life ruined as mine was. I made no money like the Caylee case, even though it was a high profile case. If I could help protect one family from having a crime thrust upon them through no fault of there own because of a loop hole in our criminal justice system, I am all for helping. Unfortunately, like was said before people can't believe that something bad can happen to them. The SA during our crime said we were the perfect victims, newly married and didn't live together before marriage, college educated, we both had good jobs, and never been in trouble, neither of us has even had a traffic ticket. I was 22 and my then husband was 29. He left me when I had my baby as I found out I was pregnant during my rape kit. Every time he looked at me all he could see was me naked, bloody, and tied to our bed. Anyways, I am all for helping in a grass roots effort to protect the children and make people aware that rich or poor, black or white, young or old, with all of the criminals in this world no one is safe and it can happen anywhere or anytime. In your house, down your street, where you shop, at the school your child attends. Where do we want to start?

I am so very sorry for what you have gone thru. I live in North Carolina & I want to thank you for what you are doing. Not only are they letting the 20 VIOLENT offenders out, they are also closing 7 prisons. In addition to closing those prisons which means even more inmates released, they have cut the mental health budgets so there will be NO mental health help, no job training, no half way houses. I guess it's a kick in the arse out the prison door. Gee, think they will re-offend? Some how the new Gov of my state has decided the money is better spent on ROADS. I guess that's where they expect the mentally ill or the prisoners to go, hang out on new roads. I have written, written, written and written some more regarding this. NC, in my eyes should be ashamed at how little they care for the citizens, care more for the roads. Again, thank you for what you are doing.

Ideas to stop this from happening again?:

Here's a link, for example, of how to get state initiatives on the ballot on California:
http://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/initiative_guide.htm

Here's a link showing Project Kid Safe tried a few times to pass a one strike law in California which "died in committee":
http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cach...nia&cd=6&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

I also saw a link for a 2005 petition for a one strike law in my state that got a mere 45 votes.

I can go on but this is probably not the thread for it. Did we get one up and running yet, a brainstorming, activist site for the prevention of such crimes?

This would be so cool to have a thread with all the states listed for us ws to use and pass around to ppl.. someone who knows how to get them all and list them with time on their hands would be so grateful to you..

do getting signatures help on any of these bills get passed?? how could we do a national one??

Is it maybe time for those of us that would like to start fixing this problem go start our own thread?
Does WS even have a petitions and politician info thread? Are we allowed to have one?
I'll go start it, somebody just tell me where to put it.

I don't want to completely hijack Somer's thread. She deserves her sleuth space and I think we need a space to go be righteously indignant and figure out how to fix this.

I agree and yesterday I tried to make a difference. O/T but I want to share. I live in FL but read about the inmates being released in North Carolina due to a Life Sentence does not equal Life if they were sentenced in the 1970's. The inmates are entitled to gain time and Life is only 80 years. But with all of the inmate programs and gain time 20 violent offenders are about to be released. One of them brought their case to the Supreme Court and the court sided with the inmates. So with our tax dollars for a public defender the court had no choice but to set them free due to the current laws. These inmates are kidnappers, murderer's and rapists. I myself was kidnapped and raped by a man who was in a work release even though he was only 3 years into a 100 year sentence. I wrote my letter yesterday to the Fraternal Order of Police who is starting a crusade against letting these inmates out and he asked if he could use my letter to show the governor. I replied absolutely and if there was anything else that I could do to prevent these men from getting out of prison to please let me know and that I want to help. I was 22 years old when I was kidnapped and raped, it changed me and my life. No matter how hard I try to over come the tragedy that happened to me with a gun to my head and knife to my throat. I don't want anyone else's life ruined as mine was. I made no money like the Caylee case, even though it was a high profile case. If I could help protect one family from having a crime thrust upon them through no fault of there own because of a loop hole in our criminal justice system, I am all for helping. Unfortunately, like was said before people can't believe that something bad can happen to them. The SA during our crime said we were the perfect victims, newly married and didn't live together before marriage, college educated, we both had good jobs, and never been in trouble, neither of us has even had a traffic ticket. I was 22 and my then husband was 29. He left me when I had my baby as I found out I was pregnant during my rape kit. Every time he looked at me all he could see was me naked, bloody, and tied to our bed. Anyways, I am all for helping in a grass roots effort to protect the children and make people aware that rich or poor, black or white, young or old, with all of the criminals in this world no one is safe and it can happen anywhere or anytime. In your house, down your street, where you shop, at the school your child attends. Where do we want to start?

I want to thank you for what you are doing to help others.When we become victims there is no such thing as closure, but sometimes in being vocal and helping others it also helps us to some degree.I am so very sorry for what you have gone through.You are a very brave woman and I am glad you are here with us.

Is it maybe time for those of us that would like to start fixing this problem go start our own thread?
Does WS even have a petitions and politician info thread? Are we allowed to have one?
I'll go start it, somebody just tell me where to put it.

I don't want to completely hijack Somer's thread. She deserves her sleuth space and I think we need a space to go be righteously indignant and figure out how to fix this.

I would get in touch with a mod or Tricia... I wouldn't want to disobey any TOS.. I am sure you wouldn't either.. just send a pm to a mod and ask...

Most molesters molest many times before they get caught and spend time in jail. They usually progress to killing so they wont go to jail again.I think the DP would save lives.

Sorry, but I disagree mikeysmommom - A pedophile who has crossed the bridge into murder doesn't think about going to jail...or prison....or anything except catching his prey and getting rid of it.

As far as the death penalty - children are notorious for mixing up their sequencing, identifying the wrong offender, and providing faulty information. No fault of their own, but developmental stages seem to interfere with accuracy.

Sounds simple to demand the DP for a pedophile, but if you know someone who was picked out of a picture line up by mistake...you might change your mind.

Anyone who advocates that research is a waste of time and money - is advocating for a death of a child to occur first...then the death of a possible innocent person. my opinion only

Great Post... Lots of great posts tonight.. Now how do we fix it so the victims get the justice they deserve??

How about making any sex crime against a child a federal crime ? Then the penalties wouldn't be up to the states.

BTW, I'm not talking about an 18 or 19 year old that has relations with a willing 16 or 17 year old. I don't think they should spend their lives as RSO's.

How sad...that poor anguished mother. Over 250 registered sex offenders in that area I heard...wow.

RIP...

http://www.news4jax.com/news/21363638/detail.html

"Tuesday morning, one of my detectives, Bruce Owens, came forward and said, 'You know, I think it'd be a good idea to follow those garbage trucks and let's look at the garbage on the front end rather than waiting and maybe later on trying to go and uncover something,' which was a stroke of genius," Beseler said. "It was a precautionary thing. We didn't have any idea at that time that this would come about. But it was just a really good move."

How about making any sex crime against a child a federal crime ? Then the penalties wouldn't be up to the states.

BTW, I'm not talking about an 18 or 19 year old that has relations with a willing 16 or 17 year old. I don't think they should spend their lives as RSO's.

Yes Federal.. sorry I am rewatching the video of Somers mother at vigil ... rips my heart out to see a mother in that deep of pain cause of some evil monster..

http://www.news4jax.com/news/21363638/detail.html

"Tuesday morning, one of my detectives, Bruce Owens, came forward and said, 'You know, I think it'd be a good idea to follow those garbage trucks and let's look at the garbage on the front end rather than waiting and maybe later on trying to go and uncover something,' which was a stroke of genius," Beseler said. "It was a precautionary thing. We didn't have any idea at that time that this would come about. But it was just a really good move."

How can it be a stroke of genius and a standard operating procedure at the same time? :waitasec:
Me thinks the law enforcement doth protest too much. I am starting to doubt that it was a random search.

BTW: For this thread, which mod is our mod? I never know who to contact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay