FL - Somer Thompson, 7, Orange Park, 19 Oct 2009 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious as to why a Grandmother would have to walk their grandchild to school. Where are the parents ?

They drop him off on their way to work. I could easily send him on the school bus, but I like being with him. He needs me, we talk. I tell him he's in super-hero training. He's a joy and the light of my life.

Plucked from her world and thrown in the trash.
What can we expect when a child molester serves less time than a car thief ?
Most of the sexual predators I'm seeing on the registry spent less than 2 years in prison. We can thank the justice system for placing so little value on our children.
I'm not talking about LE, I think most feel the same.
I prefer the death penalty for child molesters but I'd settle for giving them a choice... life in prison or castration.
They serve a couple years for destroying the innocence of a child then cry about being on the SO registry.We need underground vigilante groups in every state willing to take out the real garbage as soon as they're released.

It seems when people run for office or its time for a judge to be appointed, all we hear is the same ole " I'm tough on crime." In the future, all of us, each and every one of us, need to ask, out loud at a town hall meeting or when they are stumping for votes " What do you think should be done with sex offenders or those who kill children." If they arent for life ( me I want them to die) then we don't' vote for them. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH WITH THOSE WHO HARM OUR KIDS. Let those who are in charge know we will vote them out of office & if we vote them in, we will make sure they keep their promise of being tough.

I'm all for dead, forget wasting tax payer $$$$ on castration, housing them in our prisons and studying their pathetic brains to see what makes them tick. I say justice should be swift, trial and conviction within 90 days, no appeals, and certain death within 120 days of the crime of killing a child. No three strikes you're out, no registry, and not a chance in hell they will ever harm another child! Cruel? Maybe but I'm fed up...I've had it. If they have killed a child, I want them all dead, flat and simple. I think once we start executing them rapidly, those who might offend or are thinking about offending just might learn how to control their urges. :furious::furious::furious:

The only reason I'm for LWOP instead of death in child molestation cases is because life in prison gives a convicted person a chance at proving he or she is innocent and there are cases of false accusations, leading to convictions. In my line of work, family law, I am very aware of bitter parents accusing the other of abuse and coaching the kids to echo the accusations.

Instead of just hollering about the sick SOB's, let's do something about it.
I don't like them, you don't like them.
But laws don't get passed, statutes don't get revised, parole isn't denied because we sit here and complain. We have to take it out there into the world.
Into the heart and mind of every single lawmaker and lobbyist and judge in this country, not that I'd mind an international effort. Make them see that today it was Somer, and last week it was another child, and last month, another. But the bigshots don't care, because it has never been THEIR child. It's always somebody else's child. So let's make them see that it could be their child. Any one of us, regardless, of job, title, money, marital status.
Let's throw out the idea of a village raising a child and get the whole country in on this.
Face it America, it's time to put up or shut up!

I just posted something very similar..hadnt read thru. But yes, this is exactly what we need to do.

If they can not be rehibilitated WHY let them out??? Why Why Why are we allowing this to happen to our precious children??!!
Yes, because ultimately, WE are responsible. We elect our officials. We have the power to pressure them to pass the laws we want or to end their careers in politics if they do not do what we want. We can and should demand LIFE for child molesters. One. Strike. But, we need to be willing to pay for it. I am. The reason we don't have these laws right now is the cost. Castration does not work as many have noted because this is not about sex, it's about a perverted quest to dominate, control and destroy the innocent. I do not like the idea of death for molesters because, as I said above, there are cases where people are convicted based on false allegations.
Having said that, someone like Chester Stiles who was taped committing his atrocities? No questions there, right? In such a case, I think that can be easily handled without the need for lengthy appeals, tax payer money for life in prison, etc, in one of two ways: Either general population (why should they have the right to safety when they took that right from their victims), or, what I heard happens in Mexico sometimes to these types. They go for a ride through the desert with LE but LE comes back alone after the perp "went for an officers gun and was killed in self-defense".
Okay, like many, I'm really, really angry right now. I'm sorry for ranting and now I will stop.

I don't usually get angry, I try to tell myself that God will get them.
But, maybe, he's waiting for us to help ourselves this time.

There have just been too many, not just lately, but over the years. Personally, I'm mad as he77 and I'm not going to take it anymore.
It was probably someones stupid "good behavior" rule, or someone's plea deal or someone's inane early probationary release statute that led to Somer's death. If it was, and we ever find out, I think I'll send whoever had the bright idea to let this particular monster out a nice big picture of a smiling Somer, with a nice shiny little note that this is the child that their policy killed, isn't she beautiful?

better to ignore than engage... always.... this case right now.. with lack of further info... is like a pile of toothpicks with a gas soaked match underneath it. I pray for resolution! now!

They drop him off on their way to work. I could easily send him on the school bus, but I like being with him. He needs me, we talk. I tell him he's in super-hero training. He's a joy and the light of my life.

It's good for them that they have you. My parents are dead and my husband's live far away. My mom was an enormous help with my oldest, but even at my age, it's hard when you don't have any kind of back-up or support.
It's hard to find someone you can trust to take care of your kids, with the cost of housing now, it's almost impossible to live on one income, both parents have to work.
If I were single and trying to manage on one income, I could picture myself being in this mother's shoes.

The only reason I'm for LWOP instead of death in child molestation cases is because life in prison gives a convicted person a chance at proving he or she is innocent and there are cases of false accusations, leading to convictions. In my line of work, family law, I am very aware of bitter parents accusing the other of abuse and coaching the kids to echo the accusations.

I am also worried that if the penalty (DP) is the same for child molestation as for murder, it would be certain death for the victim. I'm afraid you would see many more child murders. And yes, many false accusations do happen during a bitter divorce.

The law seems more leniant when it comes to men who molest their own children (which I think is even worse).
My half brother molested 4 children, 3 out of four with his wife at that time. He never spent a day in jail. He bonded out and got probation. I don't think his ex pushed it because she wanted the child support that he couldn't pay if he was incarcerated.
The girl he married after used to babysit for members of their new church.
Until someone (it coulda been anybody) sent a copy of his pic & charges from the RSO site.

I don't usually get angry, I try to tell myself that God will get them.
But, maybe, he's waiting for us to help ourselves this time.

There have just been too many, not just lately, but over the years. Personally, I'm mad as he77 and I'm not going to take it anymore.
It was probably someones stupid "good behavior" rule, or someone's plea deal or someone's inane early probationary release statute that led to Somer's death. If it was, and we ever find out, I think I'll send whoever had the bright idea to let this particular monster out a nice big picture of a smiling Somer, with a nice shiny little note that this is the child that their policy killed, isn't she beautiful?

Sometime I wonder when a judge gives a light sentence, if they might be a pedophile themselves.

Whoa......I understand your feelings, but aren't you maybe putting too much blame out there without facts?

I think, imo, that hundreds, or thousands of children walk to school without adult supervision across this country on a daily basis without incident. It is something that many parents are comfortable with given that they are in groups, there are many crossing guards along the way, etc. Many parents are not afforded the good luck of having a grandparent nearby to walk their children to school on a daily basis.

The facts of this case are that 3 elementary school children had to walk 1 mile home, while SP was at home awaiting their arrival. This isn't a case of no one being able to fetch the children home from school. If you have absolutely no one to help you with your children and they must walk alone, then there's nothing to be done.

The 3 children were in a group and there were crossing guards...That didn't save her.

Blame is a good thing. It singles out reasons for failure. It helps people see their faults. It helps us move forward.

Somer would still be here if her school had provided bus service.
What about those adults who are disabled and can no longer walk ?
What about those adults that have cancer and the chemo has left them too weak to walk ? What about those adults who are recovering from heart attacks and are temporarily unable to walk their child to school ?
What about those who don't have any help or support from anybody ?
I can't judge someone who's circumstances aren't remotely similar to mine.
Especially while they're in so much pain.

BBM

I am on my own, 365 miles from my family, with my children. I have no support system. It is me against the world... KWIM?

I am lucky enough to have a job that affords me the opportunity to take my children to school. Because I work until 3:00 pm, I am unable to pick my 14 yr old son up because he gets out of school at 2:20pm. He rides the bus to my daughter's elementary school, arrives there at 2:40pm, and walks a 3rd of a mile home.

I don't allow my daughter to walk with him. She is 9 yrs old and very cute. :eek: Her school lets out at 3:00pm and she waits about 10 minutes for me to pick her up and we arrive home just before 3:15pm.

Sooo...

For about 30 minutes I panic and am beside myself by the time I get home and imagine horrible things have happened to my son. He doesn't want to be treated like a "baby" and he feels a sense of independence through that little walk. My son is 6'2" and weighs 190lbs. He looks like a man and I highly doubt he would be an easy target for an SO (or attractive to one) but I can't help being scared.

The whole point of my post is....

Sometimes parents' backs' are against the wall and they have to do what they have to do. I do the best I can by my children given my circumstances. Unless someone can show me concrete proof of negligence, I can not fault Somer's mother.

IMO

With a heavy heart, I bid you all goodnight.

From one Carolina girl to another, goodnight. I pray God wraps his loving arms around Somer's family. I can not imagine the pain, I just can't.

Even though many of us see things differntly sometimes, we all have the same passion when it comes to the victims. We all try so hard to speak for those who can not.

Instead of just hollering about the sick SOB's, let's do something about it.
I don't like them, you don't like them.
But laws don't get passed, statutes don't get revised, parole isn't denied because we sit here and complain. We have to take it out there into the world.
Into the heart and mind of every single lawmaker and lobbyist and judge in this country, not that I'd mind an international effort. Make them see that today it was Somer, and last week it was another child, and last month, another. But the bigshots don't care, because it has never been THEIR child. It's always somebody else's child. So let's make them see that it could be their child. Any one of us, regardless, of job, title, money, marital status.
Let's throw out the idea of a village raising a child and get the whole country in on this.
Face it America, it's time to put up or shut up!

I agree and yesterday I tried to make a difference. O/T but I want to share. I live in FL but read about the inmates being released in North Carolina due to a Life Sentence does not equal Life if they were sentenced in the 1970's. The inmates are entitled to gain time and Life is only 80 years. But with all of the inmate programs and gain time 20 violent offenders are about to be released. One of them brought their case to the Supreme Court and the court sided with the inmates. So with our tax dollars for a public defender the court had no choice but to set them free due to the current laws. These inmates are kidnappers, murderer's and rapists. I myself was kidnapped and raped by a man who was in a work release even though he was only 3 years into a 100 year sentence. I wrote my letter yesterday to the Fraternal Order of Police who is starting a crusade against letting these inmates out and he asked if he could use my letter to show the governor. I replied absolutely and if there was anything else that I could do to prevent these men from getting out of prison to please let me know and that I want to help. I was 22 years old when I was kidnapped and raped, it changed me and my life. No matter how hard I try to over come the tragedy that happened to me with a gun to my head and knife to my throat. I don't want anyone else's life ruined as mine was. I made no money like the Caylee case, even though it was a high profile case. If I could help protect one family from having a crime thrust upon them through no fault of there own because of a loop hole in our criminal justice system, I am all for helping. Unfortunately, like was said before people can't believe that something bad can happen to them. The SA during our crime said we were the perfect victims, newly married and didn't live together before marriage, college educated, we both had good jobs, and never been in trouble, neither of us has even had a traffic ticket. I was 22 and my then husband was 29. He left me when I had my baby as I found out I was pregnant during my rape kit. Every time he looked at me all he could see was me naked, bloody, and tied to our bed. Anyways, I am all for helping in a grass roots effort to protect the children and make people aware that rich or poor, black or white, young or old, with all of the criminals in this world no one is safe and it can happen anywhere or anytime. In your house, down your street, where you shop, at the school your child attends. Where do we want to start?

I am also worried that if the penalty (DP) is the same for child molestation as for murder, it would be certain death for the victim. I'm afraid you would see many more child murders. And yes, many false accusations do happen during a bitter divorce.

Most molesters molest many times before they get caught and spend time in jail. They usually progress to killing so they wont go to jail again.I think the DP would save lives.

Well I just went back to my state RSO registry to fimiliarize myself with the ones around us. We have 3 with a 3 mile radious. 2 of which at satutory cases. I decided to check my moms address since my kids go over there often there are 15 within a mile. I was amazed!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
birdistheword14