FL - Somer Thompson, 7, Orange Park, 19 Oct 2009 #37

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am thinking that maybe they had to wait for test results to come back before they could get a warrant. I think the return of those tests came last week and the warrants were executed. The more we are finding out, the more I feel that he will be charged for the murder of Somer when he gets back to FL. Hopefully we will find out the answers to the questions about why LE was not able to move quicker on him. I feel they needed his DNA to see if they could match, and that they had a close eye on him for some time.

If that's the case then how were they able to obtain a search warrant at the other Gano home so quickly? Was there even a shred of evidence that Somer was there at all?

Listen, I've been a big supporter of Mr. Sheriff's up until now and I still think he has been highly motivated to solve this case. But something failed there.

The Buchanans must have been going crazy with frustration wanting Harrell to be investigated. THEY put 2 and 2 together months ago.

Why didn't LE?

According to the news article with JH's father, he has been a definite possibility for the past 6 weeks, at a minimum.

Any DNA whizes here that can tell me if a DNA sample from a perps father would get enough of a match for the search warrants and POI status?

The DNA thing sounds a bit like what happened with Dennis Rader. LE obtained a warrant for Rader's daughter's pap smear sample, and compared the unknown DNA found under a victim's fingernails to her DNA sample, and concluded the Perp's DNA was the same as the father of Rader's daughter.

A bit confusing, but a similar round a'bout way to compare samples. Scroll down to his arrest and conviction, it explains it more effectively than I do.

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Rader[/ame]

Of course lacking social skills isn't a crime! I was speculating when responding to a comment as to why we know so little about him - and why he would turn down an attorney - lots of people are recluses but do they lie, cheat, steal, collect *advertiser censored*, and live in a shed. We are trying to figure this guy out and there is very little info to do so. Maybe it's all in the 'why' one is a recluse! :waitasec:

The thing about court appointed attorneys is you still have to pay for them, they are not free unless you are found innocent. The only difference between retaining your own attorney and a court appointed is that you don't have to pay the initial retainer fee. But in the end, if found guilty, you will be reimbursing the cost of the court appointed. The way a court appointed works in Iowa is the courts will pay the attorney directly so the attorney is guaranteed to be paid. It's up to the courts to get reimbursement for what they paid out to the attorney. Now the attorney cannot charge their normal rates, they are subject to a standard rate as set by the courts.

JH is going to get extradited back to Florida and he knows that, whether he has an attorney in Mississippi or not, he's going back to Florida. An attorney licensed in Mississippi cannot represent him in Florida unless that attorney is also licensed in Florida. An attorney licensed in Florida cannot represent him in Mississippi unless he is also licensed in Mississippi. There are not a lot of attorneys that have dual licenses and those that due only have licenses to adjoining states.

He may very well be refusing an attorney just to save himself a few bucks (he doesn't have a job and he knows he is going back to Florida no matter what.) He may very well just be buying time for himself, going over things in his own head...trying to come up with a good lie to account for his actions. A lot of people are under the misconception that if they refuse an attorney or fight extradition, it will make them appear to be innocent. At the same time, we look at parents of missing children that do hire attorney and immediately people are pointing the fingers at them as being suspect because they hired an attorney. Any parent that finds themselves in a position where their child is missing should hire attorney, not only to assure their rights are protected but that their missing child's rights are being protected and everything is being done that can be done.

According to the news article with JH's father, he has been a definite possibility for the past 6 weeks, at a minimum.

Any DNA whizes here that can tell me if a DNA sample from a perps father would get enough of a match for the search warrants and POI status?

Paternity tests hold up in court!

The DNA thing sounds a bit like what happened with Dennis Rader. LE obtained a warrant for Rader's daughter's pap smear sample, and compared the unknown DNA found under a victim's fingernails to her DNA sample, and concluded the Perp's DNA was the same as the father of Rader's daughter.

A bit confusing, but a similar round a'bout way to compare samples. Scroll down to his arrest and conviction, it explains it more effectively than I do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Rader

From the link:
"The police now had strong circumstantial evidence against Rader, but they needed more direct evidence in order to detain him. They controversially obtained a warrant to test the DNA of a Pap smear Rader's daughter had taken at the University of Kansas medical clinic while she was a student there. The DNA of the Pap smear was a near match to the DNA of the sample taken from the victim's fingernails indicating that the killer was closely related to Rader's daughter. This was the evidence the police needed to make an arrest."

So.... maybe the dna swab from Harrell's Father was just what LE needed.

From the link:
"The police now had strong circumstantial evidence against Rader, but they needed more direct evidence in order to detain him. They controversially obtained a warrant to test the DNA of a Pap smear Rader's daughter had taken at the University of Kansas medical clinic while she was a student there. The DNA of the Pap smear was a near match to the DNA of the sample taken from the victim's fingernails indicating that the killer was closely related to Rader's daughter. This was the evidence the police needed to make an arrest."

So.... maybe the dna swab from Harrell's Father was just what LE needed.

But in that case they then charged Rader with murder, Jarred is not being charged with murder (as yet) and according to the article, "Harrell said he has been told his son changed his mind and gave his own sample some time later."

My guess on the DNA is that about 6 weeks ago when they got DNA from the POI's father, they had some DNA results back from Somer's testing. It would go something like this.

DNA of some found on Somer.
JH suspected but refuses to give DNA sampe to match against DNA found on Somer.
JH's father gives DNA sample which is matched up against the DNA found on Somer - that results would show that JH's father is related to the person who left their DNA on Somer (and could also give paternity results for JH).
The match of the DNA from Somer to the DNA from JH's father is enough to get a warrant to force JH to give DNA.

Because they went to JH's father and asked for DNA samples, I am 99% certain that they found DNA samples on Somer. I'm also certain that those DNA samples didn't not match anyone in the registry which is why they initially were under the assumption that it was a child molester that came out of retirement.

In the article, it says that JH eventually agreed to a DNA test....but it didn't state when he agreed and most likely he agreed once he was taken into custody and was told that they could force him to give the sample.

http://jacksonville.com/news/metro/crime/2010-02-17/story/man_of_interest_in_somer_thompson_slaying_had_unstable_childhood

was he arraigned?

IIRC, he had an initial court appearance according to one of the articles I read. No link to it, tho. I believe it was stated that the snow did not keep JH from a court appearance last week.

Also, I think it was Federal Marshall's that arrested JH and then called local LE asking them to transport him to the jail/detention center. He was then booked on 29 charges of child *advertiser censored*, as we all know. So, IMO, JH would have had the initial court appearance before a Federal judge.

So, yes, he was arraigned as far as I can tell.

MOO's

Harrell is fighting extradition, which means police will need to demonstrate probable cause for him to be charged with possession of child *advertiser censored*.
http://www.claytodayonline.com/content/2002_1.php

I am wondering if perhaps they could lay a murder charge now, but choose to wait until he is back in Florida, so they don't have to tip their hand to a possible future defense attorney as if he was charged with murder now they would have to demonstrate probable cause and show they evidence they have for him to be charged with murder? Or maybe it would just be less complicated & quicker to wait to charge him in Florida?

My guess on the DNA is that about 6 weeks ago when they got DNA from the POI's father, they had some DNA results back from Somer's testing. It would go something like this.

JH's father gives DNA sample which is matched up against the DNA found on Somer - that results would show that JH's father is related to the person who left their DNA on Somer (and could also give paternity results for JH).
The match of the DNA from Somer to the DNA from JH's father is enough to get a warrant to force JH to give DNA.

Because they went to JH's father and asked for DNA samples, I am 99% certain that they found DNA samples on Somer. I'm also certain that those DNA samples didn't not match anyone in the registry which is why they initially were under the assumption that it was a child molester that came out of retirement.

In the article, it says that JH eventually agreed to a DNA test....but it didn't state when he agreed and most likely he agreed once he was taken into custody and was told that they could force him to give the sample.

http://jacksonville.com/news/metro/crime/2010-02-17/story/man_of_interest_in_somer_thompson_slaying_had_unstable_childhood

:clap::clap::clap:

I would be willing to bet a BUNCH that you are EXACTLY right, Angleena!!

Thank you for putting it in clear, plain, everyday language!

Was Jarreds father a registered sex offender any where?Was he living on Gano at one time?

Thanks again for such a clear explanation - I bet you are right on target! I found myself feeling 'sad' when reading the info at the link - these kids have had a confused, tragic, and chaotic, life. MOO

Was Jarreds father a registered sex offender?Was he living on Gano at one time?
It appears Jarred's father has lived in MS for most, if not all, of his life. Not only is he not a convicted RSO, he is a correctional officer and should be suing over that slanderous statement.
ETA I know you didn't start the rumor lol I just meant whoever it was that did.

It appears Jarred's father has lived in MS for most, if not all, of his life. Not only is he not a convicted RSO, he is a correctional officer and should be suing over that slanderous statement.
ETA I know you didn't start the rumor lol I just meant whoever it was that did.

Ok,I didn't know there was a rumor about him.I was just asking because I was thinking maybe LE had Jarreds father or maybe someone else in the house on Gano under Their radar at first and not him.It does look like Jarred came under their radar about 4 to 6 weeks ago.

That his father gave a DNA sample 6 weeks ago says it ALL. I'm guessing preliminary reports point to Harrell. Maybe waiting for the confirmation tests. I won't be surprised to see him charged with Somer's murder the second he sets foot in Clay county. JMO

I have the feeling that whoever ends up as JH's attorney, they are just going to love Mr. B.

I believe they got him and the DNA told the story.

Now they just have to process all the evidence they got in the recent searches.

He is not going anywhere with a million dollar bail.

Do you think they got a search warrant for the builders and all of their cars, truck,s, equipment, or do you think that they willingly allowed a search as well?

Do you need a warrant to get DNA as the builders did give DNA.

Harrell told his aunt that they DNA'd all of the people in the neighborhood, but we know that it was not true. He didn't give his until much later.

Do you think that he thought that he could hide in Mississippi?

If I was facing DP or any prison, I would be looking for a place to hide really good.

Do you think they got a search warrant for the builders and all of their cars, truck,s, equipment, or do you think that they willingly allowed a search as well?

Do you need a warrant to get DNA as the builders did give DNA.

Harrell told his aunt that they DNA'd all of the people in the neighborhood, but we know that it was not true. He didn't give his until much later.

Do you think that he thought that he could hide in Mississippi?

If I was facing DP or any prison, I would be looking for a place to hide really good.

I don't know. I would think that at least some people allowed voluntary searches and/or DNA samples. If they didn't do anything, they had nothing to worry about. And I'm sure that some just refused on the principle of the matter, and LE had to weed them out. There probably are other warrants executed that we don't know about. And I don't doubt there have been/may still be other POI's that haven't been named. All JMO of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BEllis9801