FL - Somer Thompson, 7, Orange Park, 19 Oct 2009 #37

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The 2 women across the street from poi have had their house up for sale claiming they were spooked by him & that's why they're moving..So, did they ever go to LE about him after Somer went missing?

Someone contacted LE about the POI immediately after Somer's disappearance. I want to think it was these neighbors - I'll look for a link.

ETA: My apologies - it was the father of the roommate who turned in the computer:

From http://www.news4jax.com/news/22546613/detail.html:

(BBM)

After 7-year-old Somer Thompson's body was found in October, Buchanan said he learned that Harrell had moved back to Gano Avenue, the road where Somer was last seen, to be with his parents.

Buchanan said he was shocked to learn that Harrell's parents had moved out two weeks before Somer Thompson was reported missing, but Harrell still lived at the home.
Buchanan and his wife decided to go by that house.

"And when we drove by, his vehicle was in the driveway, and it was right across the street from the athletic field, right where she (Somer) had to walk every day," Buchanan said.
After that, Buchanan said he went to a Clay County detective and let him know that Harrell was living in that house on Gano. Buchanan said he also told the detective about the *advertiser censored* that they had found a few months earlier and turned in to police.

Suspect Fights Extradition To Clay County
POSTED: Monday, February 15, 2010
UPDATED: 1:00 pm EST February 15, 2010
Jarred Harrell, 24, was arrested Thursday in Meridian, Miss., on child *advertiser censored* charges and has been named a person of interest in the Somer Thompson murder case.
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- The man named last week as a person of interest in the abduction and slaying of 7-year-old Somer Thompson is fighting extradition from Mississippi.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/22569680/detail.html

Someone contacted LE about the POI immediately after Somer's disappearance. I want to think it was these neighbors - I'll look for a link.

ETA: My apologies - it was the father of the roommate who turned in the computer:

I don't know what to think of these 2 women neighbors..They were hysterical on the news once he was arrested making all these claims like he only came out to smoke or wash the car when the kids came home from school, they were suspicious of him from day 1, he scared them into moving away.

Where were they back then? Maybe afraid to talk isn't a stretch I guess. :waitasec:

Did LE ever interview him after he was pointed out by Mr. B or keep it on the QT..That's what seems to be missing in all of this.

Suspect Fights Extradition To Clay County
POSTED: Monday, February 15, 2010
UPDATED: 1:00 pm EST February 15, 2010
Jarred Harrell, 24, was arrested Thursday in Meridian, Miss., on child *advertiser censored* charges and has been named a person of interest in the Somer Thompson murder case.
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- The man named last week as a person of interest in the abduction and slaying of 7-year-old Somer Thompson is fighting extradition from Mississippi.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/22569680/detail.html

That says it ALL doesn't it? Now I'd like to know what happens re: fighting extradition..I have no clue..TIA!

That says it ALL doesn't it? Now I'd like to know what happens re: fighting extradition..I have no clue..TIA!

No clue either. From reading the article I guess we have to wait for the Governor to sign the order and bring him back. I'm sure that want take very long. Maybe he is guilty of more than what we know and that is why he is fighting? Or maybe he is trying to buy time for some reason? Guess we will see.

Article IV, Section 2, Clause 2:

A person charged in any state with treason, felony, or other crime, who shall flee from justice, and be found in another state, shall on demand of the executive authority of the state from which he fled, be delivered up, to be removed to the state having jurisdiction of the crime.

Specific law:

§ 3182. Fugitives from State or Territory to State, District, or Territory

Whenever the executive authority of any State or Territory demands any person as a fugitive from justice, of the executive authority of any State, District, or Territory to which such person has fled, and produces a copy of an indictment found or an affidavit made before a magistrate of any State or Territory, charging the person demanded with having committed treason, felony, or other crime, certified as authentic by the governor or chief magistrate of the State or Territory from whence the person so charged has fled, the executive authority of the State, District, or Territory to which such person has fled shall cause him to be arrested and secured, and notify the executive authority making such demand, or the agent of such authority appointed to receive the fugitive, and shall cause the fugitive to be delivered to such agent when he shall appear. If no such agent appears within thirty days from the time of the arrest, the prisoner may be discharged.

Article IV, Section 2, Clause 2:

A person charged in any state with treason, felony, or other crime, who shall flee from justice, and be found in another state, shall on demand of the executive authority of the state from which he fled, be delivered up, to be removed to the state having jurisdiction of the crime.

Bolded by me and took out some for space.

I guess the "executive authority" is the Governor of the state, but I am just wondering why he is fighting it. Is this common for a person to do of this type of crime?

I guess the "executive authority" is the Governor of the state, but I am just wondering why he is fighting it. Is this common for a person to do of this type of crime?

I'm not a lawyer, but looking at it from a civil rights point of view... I wouldn't want to be whisked away to another state simply upon their word that I'd committed a crime. I'd want there to be an actual indictment or affidavit (as is required by the Constitution and law) verified by the executive. 'Fighting extradition' is simply forcing them to prove you've been charged (or will be charged) with a crime.

I said earlier that child *advertiser censored* is a Federal offense, so it wouldn't seem to matter where he was tried for that crime, as long as it was a Federal court. But I could be wrong. Probably am LOL.

IDK, but both death penalty states, but if I were him I wouldn't want to go back to Florida, due to Sunshine Laws. :dance: I wonder if he has got a lawyer yet, to fight extradition I am sure he will need one.

http://www.uscourts.gov/courtlinks/

Well, MS is in a different Federal circuit than FL. Maybe that makes a difference. However the news did state he was arrested by Federal agents.

Also, I wonder if the state's Attorney General has to review the case and charges? It would make sense that they do so before the Governor signs off on it.

It's common practice to fight extradition especially when one intends to plead not guilty. It's simply a delay tactic on the part of the defense.

Maybe he's fighting the extradition because he believes he will be charged with kidnapping and murder once he is back in Florida?

Is he just stalling for time? (But, why?).

Maybe he's just fighting the expedition because he can, and wants to make it as difficult for Florida to prosecute him as possible.

I think it just makes him look even more guilty, personally.

It's common practice to fight extradition especially when one intends to plead not guilty. It's simply a delay tactic on the part of the defense.

Delay? They have 30 days to bring him back. That's nothing.

Extradition requirements serve to put the burden on the state making the accusations/charges to prove this is the person they seek and that the charges are legitimate.

I have an email out to a friend who's a public defender and has worked in private practice as well as a prosecutor. I'll be interested to see his take on all of this.

Does anyone know if it would make a difference that when he went to Meridian he had no warrant or charges upon him? That he wasn't fleeing from justice to avoid prosecution then?

IDK, but both death penalty states, but if I were him I wouldn't want to go back to Florida, due to Sunshine Laws. :dance: I wonder if he has got a lawyer yet, to fight extradition I am sure he will need one.

If I were him, I would rather go back to Florida, not Mississippi. I think Mississipians don't take too well to child molesters and murderers. I am sure they don't in Florida as well. If I were a betting woman, which sometimes I am, I would bet that there are going to be more charges than just Somer's against this POI. Also, I am sure they are making sure they tie up what they need to tie up in this case, e.g., any friends, relatives, etc, that he may have been copying on downloads or emails, etc, and making sure that none of the children are locals or relatives, etc, acquaintenances of the POI's. I noticed in one of the articles it referenced photos of some children as old as 10 or 13. I noticed the "as old as" prefaced there. I mean, I wonder how young the youngest was. But I think that LE has stated on a number of occasions, in reference to Somer's case, that this was probably not the perpetrator's first murder. I think they knew who it was from early in the case, but maybe were investigating other things involving this POI. JMO.

Also, didn't someone post a picture of the POIs house early on in this case? I thought I remembered seeing the house with the little one-car garage door open. It may have just been there were pictures of the general area and houses along the path of where Somer was last seen. If I lived in an area where something like that happened and the last known sighting was where it was, I think I would be suspicious of any persons living in close proximity to the last known sighting. Just saying that these neighbors may have suspected early on and felt that he was the perp and remember seeing him.

Afternoon folks,

Bringing over from another thread... need more eyes please?...
Does this look like the same guy?

Jarred Harrell
http://www.news4jax.com/news/22546613/detail.html#
(photo, if click enlarge will open in another window to compare to)

Somer's Vigil 10/23/09
http://us.cnn.com/video/?/video/crime/2009/10/22/sot.girl.dead.mother.wjxt
(video: 1:24 - 1:30 into it... large man standing on left in blue shirt and brown jacket)

If could only see a side view mug shot might could tell if same guy? anyone with photo/video still shots abilities? TIA
It is not uncommon for the perp to attend vigils and searches as have heard through the grapevine... question is... did this perp Harrell stick around after the 'found' vigil and for how long?

Afternoon folks,

Bringing over from another thread... need more eyes please?...
Does this look like the same guy?

Jarred Harrell
http://www.news4jax.com/news/22546613/detail.html#
(photo, if click enlarge will open in another window to compare to)

Somer's Vigil 10/23/09
http://us.cnn.com/video/?/video/crime/2009/10/22/sot.girl.dead.mother.wjxt
(video: 1:24 - 1:30 into it... large man standing on left in blue shirt and brown jacket)

If could only see a side view mug shot might could tell if same guy? anyone with photo/video still shots abilities? TIA
It is not uncommon for the perp to attend vigils and searches as have heard through the grapevine... question is... did this perp Harrell stick around after the 'found' vigil and for how long?

It certainly looks like him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member