Identified! FL - St Petersburg, WhtFem 661UFFL, 25-35, in steamer trunk, Oct'69 - Sylvia June Atherton

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I have never done this before and there is more than a fair few reasons this is completely wrong but I just keep coming back too Winifred Long

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/l/long_winifred.html

So much seems to be known about the lady in the trunk (teeth etc) and so little known about Winifred. Since she was last seen at Greyhound bus station she could of ended up anywhere.

How spot on are sketches in the 60s when someone has died in this way? Stupid question i know. Can anyone point me too solved cases in this time where I can look at sketches compared to photos? All new too this, please be nice *blush*

Maybe, but this unidentified woman has a heart-shaped face and a retrousse nose, assuming the sketch is accurate. And CarlK and others who've seen the morgue photos, apparently, think it's a good rendering.

Usually, when a woman disappears, and an estranged husband claims he has taken her to a mass transit terminal, particularly after a heated argument, and she's never been seen or heard from since, there's a high likelihood she was disposed of in the general neighborhood by a person resembling her estranged husband to a striking degree.

There are some things that don't match, but -- Ann Duncan went missing from California on October 3 of 1969: http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/d/duncan_ann.html

She's quite petite where the UID is on the tall side, and she had given birth only a few weeks before, whereas the UID is said to have given birth but "not recently."

But the timeframe is good, there's nothing in her circumstances to indicate she was murdered at the time, she's 31 which is right in the middle of the 25-35 age range, hazel eyes to brown is reasonable. What caught my eye besides the date was the small delicate nose. Also the chin, eyes slanted slightly downward, and lack of cheekbone definition.

And the intangible factor that the UID's hair was in rollers, and Ann Duncan seems like the kind of woman who would sleep with her hair in rollers :p

Attachments

• ann duncan and namus 1019 October 1969.png
    ann duncan and namus 1019 October 1969.png
    94.9 KB · Views: 51
Both of these ladies have now been removed and the only rule out now is Emily Richards 1942 Indiana

Emily Roberts  - Jane Doe Florida.JPG
Emily Roberts on the Left / Jane Doe St. Pete 1969 on the Right

Whilst Emily was originally ruled out. The family has recently submitted an article to compare DNA between Emily Roberts and this Jane Doe. The similarities between the two are just too close to ignore... including dental details.

Hello! Actually Emily Richards was last seen in Illinois, not sure on that State typo? But recent information has lead our family to submit an envelope with Emily\Roberta Richards DNA in hopes of a possible match to this Jane Doe. Namus has her ruled out, do to the family members DNA that was submitted last year, but its not a close enough DNA match to use the automated system, therefore the Detective handling this JD case has offered to try to get usable DNA from an envelope that was addressed from Emily dated 1964! Were hopeful, yet saddened for the pending results. By chance does anyone have a copy of the police report from this case, thought I would ask before I request it. I can also share a picture of Emily, if anyone would like to comment or throw their opinions out there...

View attachment 100153
Emily Roberts on the Left / Jane Doe St. Pete 1969 on the Right

Whilst Emily was originally ruled out. The family has recently submitted an article to compare DNA between Emily Roberts and this Jane Doe. The similarities between the two are just too close to ignore... including dental details.

OK another typo and too late to edit.... last name is wrong. Should be "Emily Richards"

In Sept of 1963, Roberta "aka" Emily, was in the process of having teeth pulled for an upper dental plate and possibly a partial lower plate. There was a genetic gum disease that ran on the Jordan side. It us uncertain if and when this was completed, except we know for a fact that in Oct of 1963 we have a family video that shows her smiling and laughing and she in fact had already had teeth pulled. February 26, and 27th 1964, is the last known contact with her, and those were letters\post card type sent from her to her mother. Her mother placed those post cards in a family album and wrote "last contact" with Roberta. Im in the process of trying to get the video transferred onto DVD, its in the form of 8MM i believe, and many years ago they were transferred onto VHS, except the VHS machine ate the tape. I only have a short video, in which Carl Koppelman has a copy and I think he uploaded it to youtube. In August 2016, I submitted the envelope that we had, that held the letter dated 1963 to a detective in St. Petersburg, Florida. It is now in the possession of UNT for processing and will be compared to the 1969 Jane Doe. We've also had 3 more relatives submit DNA through NamUS. They are females, and are direct descendants from Roberta's mother. Hopefully, the DNA will be stronger than a male cousin for this purpose. I open this conversation up to anyone who has opinions, thoughts, hypothetical's because at this point, anything could be a break in my research. I also have been in contact with the Detective that worked this St Petersburg case in 1969 and he said that at the time, they thought that a man that was already in prison for rape, was probably her killer. Although He never admitted to the crime, only said that they when they found evidence that he would talk to them. They believed that she was part of a prostitution ring and that her murder was to serve as the purpose to show the other prostitutes that they were to only do their job and not talk of their bosses"pimps". He figured she had known too much and therefore was made as an example to what happens.

Our "family story" was that Emily\Roberta was being tracked to Florida by the FBI in reference to a counterfeit\savings bond check ring out of Chicago. In March 1964 Roberta had a name change out of Florida to Emily Richards, then according to a marriage document, married her boyfriend named Bruce Richards in California in November of 1966. All during that time, no contact with any family members. However, a little twist to this timeline, Bruce Richards actually had his own name change out of Chicago in April 1965 to John Ryan Obrien. Why? Stories and the FBI timeline lead me to believe he probably worked for the government as he was also a military employee and died at a VA hospital out of California. Had I only of started my research in 2009, i could have probably of located her, or at least been given a story from someone who lived the time with her.

I only have a short video, in which Carl Koppelman has a copy and I think he uploaded it to youtube.

Here is the YouTube video. Emily is the woman in with the dark dress and white long-sleeves.

[video=youtu;Rl_MR7gaAyA]http://youtu.be/Rl_MR7gaAyA[/video]

Does Emily Richards not have her own thread here on WS? If so, can someone post the link? I cannot seem to find it!!

Thanks!

Amanda

Amanda - I dont believe Emily has her own thread?! How would one go about doing that?

Attachments

• FullSizeR.jpg
    FullSizeR.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 35
The Lady in the Trunk is featured in a new exhibition hosted by The University of South Florida’s Institute of Forensic Anthropology & Applied Science (IFAAS).
New USF Art Exhibit Aims to Help Solve Cold Case Homicides
Exhibition displays consist of clay busts and drawings, digital compositions, artifacts and information about the crime scenes. Kimmerle, USF graduate students and Sgt. Sergio Soto, a forensic artist with IFAAS, created the reconstructions and exhibit. Their work is part of the ongoing statewide cold case initiative by IFAAS, for which the team conducted a number of forensic methods - such as exhuming Jane and John Doe graves for skeletal analysis, facial and clothing reconstructions, chemical isotope testing of the bones, hair and teeth, as well as DNA testing.
Art of Forensics

Case 1: The Lady in the Trunk

usf10-002-facial.jpg

Collage: Illustration, Clothing Reconstruction, Historic Photographs & Newspaper
Sergio Soto

On Halloween, a city worker noticed a new steamer trunk near the parking lot of the Oyster Bar. The trunk was manufactured by the “Nonbreakable Trunk Company”. Believing that it was out of place and interested in the contents, the worker contacted local uniformed officers for their assistance. Inside the trunk, they discovered a 25 to 35-year-old woman of European (White) ancestry who had was strangled and beaten-to-death. The young woman was approximately 5 ft. 9 in. tall and an estimated 130 pounds. Her hair was brown, cut above the shoulders, and held up with bobby pins. She had brown eyes and 3 moles: one on her left cheek, right forearm, and one on her left thigh. She was wearing a short, green nightgown with a floral design and lace at the top. Chemical isotope analysis suggests she was not local to Florida, but had been born in the Southeastern U.S. and lived in northern portion of the Southeastern U.S. for several years prior to her death.

Date of Discovery: October 31, 1969

USF10-002C NCIC: U230018686
ME: 69-3733 NamUs: UP 1019
SPPD: 1969-062886

Any information that may assist with this case please contact:
William A. Pellan, District 6 Medical Examiner
(ph.) 727-582-6800

Inv. Brenda Stevenson, St. Petersburg Police Department
(ph.) 727-893-7575 / Brenda.Stevenson@stpete.org

I've been digging around on this case and I want to hear some other opinions on potential matches here. My best three are Peggy Baisden, Joan Bieter and Madeline Babcock--looking closely at their pages will show that each bears not only a resemblance to the UID but have many conditions and similarities in common. Looking forward to hearing other opinions.

I actually grew up in the neighborhood this Jane Doe was found. The building she was found (I think it was behind the building) used to be called The Oyster Bar. Now it's a church. When I found out about this Jane Doe I was really shocked at how close she was to my old house in Saint Petersburg. I don't live in Florida anymore but it still hits close to home. So I made a reconstruction of her face. I didn't see her pm but if her recon is as accurate as people are saying mine hopefully isn't far off. Using descriptions and other composites I wanted to give her a recon for her belated anniversary of being found.
Her mole was listed as small, hairless and on her left cheekbone so I placed a small one on the recon. I'm not sure if the position is accurate though.

Attachments

• PicsArt_11-02-07.01.22.jpg
    PicsArt_11-02-07.01.22.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20201102_190239.jpg
    IMG_20201102_190239.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20201102_190527.jpg
    IMG_20201102_190527.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 40
  • Screenshot_20201102-191604~2.png
    Screenshot_20201102-191604~2.png