MISTRIAL MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #16

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
After reading the MSP statement about proctor having been relieved of portions of duty - and having done so in part based on new testimony at trial - does this mean the ‘third party’ / federal / FBI investigation will now circle back for more findings? How can it not? And when will it be finalized and released?

It isn’t clear to me. And why isn’t there also an Internal Affairs investigation being conducted as well? (Other than questioned neutrality and impartiality perhaps?)

IMO since MSP ‘conveniently’ used the close and ruled mistrial to announce this - now that they have tied the case, and concluding mistrial, and investigations further - they need to be tied tightly! And completely. IANAL MOO

I don't know, this whole case has been "out there". We have a defendant in a murder trial who is leaking Federal Grand Jury testimony through her friend using encrypted communication to a blogger. A years long federal investigation of the DA's and police conduct but the trial still goes forward? What kind of person(s) or department or Judge would allow Ms. Read to be subject to the possibility of conviction and Jail time if the FBI were discovering significant wrongdoing?
as I understood it Judge C would not entertain pushing the trial date back despite both sides requesting it.

After reading the MSP statement about proctor having been relieved of portions of duty - and having done so in part based on new testimony at trial - does this mean the ‘third party’ / federal / FBI investigation will now circle back for more findings? How can it not? And when will it be finalized and released?

It isn’t clear to me. And why isn’t there also an Internal Affairs investigation being conducted as well? (Other than questioned neutrality and impartiality perhaps?)

IMO since MSP ‘conveniently’ used the close and ruled mistrial to announce this - now that they have tied the case, and concluding mistrial, and investigations further - they need to be tied tightly! And completely. IANAL MOO
An internal affairs investigation has been opened::

"This follows our previous decision to open an internal affairs investigation after information about serious misconduct emerged in testimony at the trial. This investigation is ongoing."

Wow. I’m shocked the hammer dropped on proctor so quickly. This time next year he’ll probably be on a Florida beach collecting a pension.
I don't really care where he is this time next year as long as he isn't in any position of power over other people's lives and futures! Though I would like him to be held accountable and punished appropriately for his conduct. Also as part of internal investigation I hope his conduct in other cases will be scrutinised. jmo

Interesting outcome. Not surprising. Most of the time, everyone here is pretty much on the same page with jury trials, this one was all over the place.

In the end, no one can predict an outcome. KR is lucky she had excellent representation.

Wonder if anyone is speaking about the judge or their role in this mistrial?

By comparison IMO are the Alex Murdaugh and Michelle Troconos trials. In following each of those trials the judges IMO made it clear in court and on the record the basis and rationale for any sustained or overruled objections. In many examples within those trials there was discussion and debate by counsels and the judges on the rulings.

In this trial for KR IIRC there were multiple examples only where the objection was merely ruled on. And IMO any clear basis or rationale did not seem apparent. IANAL MOO
Yeah so much to upack there. jmo

Wonder if anyone is speaking about the judge or their role in this mistrial?

By comparison IMO are the Alex Murdaugh and Michelle Troconos trials. In following each of those trials the judges IMO made it clear in court and on the record the basis and rationale for any sustained or overruled objections. In many examples within those trials there was discussion and debate by counsels and the judges on the rulings.

In this trial for KR IIRC there were multiple examples only where the objection was merely ruled on. And IMO any clear basis or rationale did not seem apparent. IANAL MOO

This is the first case I've watched where objections didn't have to be explained and she could just rule on them. Didn't like it at all.

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

I relistened to Paul's wife's testimony again last night, they didn't see J very often, in fact.
It wouldn't be easy for K's parents to up and leave at this stage of their lives, they spent all theyt had on this trial.
Now they face retrial expenses for what looks like a malicious prosecution.
Judge could have stopped all this, she chose not to.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know, this whole case has been "out there". We have a defendant in a murder trial who is leaking Federal Grand Jury testimony through her friend using encrypted communication to a blogger. A years long federal investigation of the DA's and police conduct but the trial still goes forward? What kind of person(s) or department or Judge would allow Ms. Read to be subject to the possibility of conviction and Jail time if the FBI were discovering significant wrongdoing?

Good question. Maybe she fears she's also a target of the investigation?

She should sleep a little better. But not the deep, restful slumber that a NG would have provided her. If the CW decides to actually go forth in this charade, maybe she has another year (?) before the next trial.

Obviously this is more of a win for KR than the CW, but still not a victory.

Does anyone know anything about the following scenarios:

1. CW has said they intend to retry. Can they come back on 7/22 and say they will retry and the date is set for xxxx. Then before date xxxx, say forget it. Basically just f around with the defense?
2. A NG would have provided KR with a lifetime of relief. It’s done. Even if CW comes back and says they are not retrying, could she in the future be charged again or does double jeopardy apply?
No double jeopardy for a mistrial.

The following articles outline a bit about what is going on in the Federal investigation and imply the scope is broader than the Read case. The article alleges that DA Michael Morrissey and the Norfolk County DA’s office may be part of the target along with some of the players in the JOK investigation.
Morrissey pushed back on this and it might have been he who leaned on Judge Cannone to go ahead with the KR trial for appearances sake. Hopefully something will break soon now that the trial is over.
Boston 25 reported that in asking for the federal probe to be transferred to another jurisdiction, Morrissey alleged that Rollins held a personal grudge against him and that a high-level federal prosecutor in the U.S. attorney’s public corruption unit is married to a former assistant district attorney from his office.

Morrissey and Rollins — who served as district attorney in Suffolk County before taking federal office in 2022 — have clashed over criminal justice issues several times in the past.!!!!

Where is Rollins now, I wonder?
This is hotter than hell

Boston 25 reported that in asking for the federal probe to be transferred to another jurisdiction, Morrissey alleged that Rollins held a personal grudge against him and that a high-level federal prosecutor in the U.S. attorney’s public corruption unit is married to a former assistant district attorney from his office.

Morrissey and Rollins — who served as district attorney in Suffolk County before taking federal office in 2022 — have clashed over criminal justice issues several times in the past.!!!!

Where is Rollins now, I wonder?
This is hotter than hell
Ah, she did shady as well unfortunately in her office time. Morrissey has done much worse for years. She wouldn't like him for the right reasons though.

Ah, she did shady as well unfortunately in her office time. Morrissey has done much worse for years. She wouldn't like him for the right reasons though.
saw that..

Rollins resigned as U.S. attorney in May after a pair of federal watchdog reports found that she abused the power of her office.
I'd still like a statement from her..

I don't know, this whole case has been "out there". We have a defendant in a murder trial who is leaking Federal Grand Jury testimony through her friend using encrypted communication to a blogger.
snipped.

As far as I know this is not true.

Karen Read almost certainly informed Kearney about what the defense had uncovered during their investigation, like the snowplow driver and McCabe's google search. But it's certainly not illegal for her to do, anymore than it is for prosecutors to leak information about an investigation as they routinely do. The exception is information that was impounded under a judicial order, but I don't believe there was anything under seal that was ever leaked.

However, the Federal grand jury proceedings were kept secret from both the defense and the prosecution until they were released to both sides in March 2024. There was a secrecy order put in place, and the results of the grand jury were only released at trial (or in pre-trial hearings). This includes the contents of Proctor's texts, Brian Higgins destroying his phone, the results of the ARCCA investigation, etc. Turtleboy never published any of that.

Edit - I just want to add that the stuff about using "encrypted messaging" makes her actions seem nefarious. But it's important to note that except for SMS, pretty much every single messaging app uses end-to-end encryption. That includes iMessage, Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp, Signal, Telegram, etc.

Last edited:
I relistened to Paul's wife's testimony again last night, they didn't see J very often, in fact.
It wouldn't be easy for K's parents to up and leave at this stage of their lives, they spent all theyt had on this trial.
Now they face retrial expenses for what looks like a malicious prosecution.
Judge could have stopped all this, she chose not to.
The trial is all about a lot of dysfunction on so many levels whether it’s LE, the judge, the witnesses, JOK family etc
Just so many people looking for a scapegoat for John’s death.
Karen makes their perfect target. A successful educated woman. She has her own ideas and her own house AND her own money. And thrives despite her health issues.
I can hear it now
“Who does she think she is ? Does she think she’s better than us ?
I bet you can still hear the word spinster used in that area.
Old and dried up like Proctor said. She was a woman trying to get her clutches into JOK. And he rejected her so she killed him. I bet you can hear “ you know if he had not been with Karen that night he would not be dead “.
It’s obvious to me that a lot of these people don’t want evidence they want a lynching of Karen Read.
JMO

snipped.

As far as I know this is not true.

Karen Read almost certainly informed Kearney about what the defense had uncovered during their investigation, like the snowplow driver and McCabe's google search. But it's certainly not illegal for her to do, anymore than it is for prosecutors to leak information about an investigation as they routinely do. The exception is information that was impounded under a judicial order, but I don't believe there was anything under seal that was ever leaked.

However, the Federal grand jury proceedings were kept secret from both the defense and the prosecution until they were released to both sides in March 2024. There was a secrecy order put in place, and the results of the grand jury were only released at trial (or in pre-trial hearings). This includes the contents of Proctor's texts, Brian Higgins destroying his phone, the results of the ARCCA investigation, etc. Turtleboy never published any of that.

Thank you for this ^^^ !

The knowledge of Proctor's texts and history entwined in this case IMO, SHOULD HAVE rendered any questioned and tainted evidence submitted by Proctor as inadmissible. How Judge C allowed this trial to continue makes me furious, along with suspicious.

Morrissey alleged that Rollins held a personal grudge against him and that a high-level federal prosecutor in the U.S. attorney’s public corruption unit is married to a former assistant district attorney from his office.
RSBM

So Morrissey can spot conflicts of interest? Doesn't like it? Interesting.

IMO MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ShirlzWorld
Back