GUILTY FL - Steven & Michelle Andrews, both 28, murdered, Fort Myers, 27 Dec 2005

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
"What's next?

The state attorney’s office says Fred Cooper will be retried. A case management conference is scheduled for 1:30 p.m. Tuesday.

If this case follows the pattern of previous mistrials, Cooper will be retried within 90 days and he will remain in custody at the Lee County Jail until his second trial."

http://www.news-press.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20081017/NEWS01/81017001

RR here - I was just waking up this morning when I heard that a couple of jurors are now speaking to the press and it sounded like another example of CSI Syndrome is to blame for the mistrial......I will try to find a link from that station.

http://www.winknews.com/news/top/31446744.html?vauto=y

"FORT MYERS, Fla. - "It was difficult at times because you had 12 different personalities in there sometimes going at each other," Chuck Machell, juror on Fred Cooper's trial, says.

Jurors in the Fred Cooper double-murder trial say they leaned toward a conviction, but it wasn't enough -- a judge declared a mistrial after the jury dead-locked.

Eight to four -- that's what jurors tell WINK News was the tally of those for to against convicting Fred Cooper of killing Steven and Michelle Andrews nearly three years ago.

Because there wasn't a unanimous decision, the judge declared a mistrial and the whole process will have to start over -- something the jurors on this case say won't be easy."

:banghead:

That's after prosecutors presented a motive -- Cooper's girlfriend was having an affair with Steven Andrews. Six witnesses placed cooper at the victims' Gateway neighborhood the night they were killed, and Cooper's DNA was found on Michelle Andrews's body.

In a surprising twist Fred Cooper took the stand to own up to those questions. He testified he had sex with Michelle the night she was murdered.:furious:

"Did you believe Fred Cooper's testimony?" Reporter Maggie Crane asked.

"No," Machell says.

But that didn't stop speculation.

"A lot of the DNA and info was contaminated -- the blood -- right there -- I think that set (other jurors) off right away. They thought if that was contaminated, what else might be contaminated," Shepard says.

Some jurors we talked to say the graphic pictures and testimony they heard left them with a "jury hangover."

I thought Michelle's sister has little Luke. I also thought Steven's family seemed out there in the interview tapes, not Michelle's. Steven's mom was very very strange.

"out there", "very, very strange"...

How dare you! I wonder how your family would be viewed in the event of such a terrible tragedy? You might want to think about it too.

Everybody's family is a little strange to outsiders. Shame on you both.

http://news-press.com/article/20081021/NEWS01/81021032/1075&referrer=FRONTPAGECAROUSEL

"Fred Cooper is set for a retrial Jan. 13.

He appeared in court in a red Lee County Jail jumpsuit, different from the shirts, ties and pants he wore through his three-week trial, which ended last week.

His attorney, Deputy Public Defender Ken Garber, said he and his staff are working on compiling media reports written and broadcast during the trial to prepare a change of venue motion. Garber filed about half a dozen motions to move the trial before it started and all were denied.

Lee Circuit Judge Thomas Reese said he wanted to try to seat a jury first, which happened.

"We’re at a different junction now," Reese said. "Some of the responses to this case are absolutely bizarre."

Garber said he will file the change of venue motion as soon as possible."

Yes! Change of venue and some psychologists to help the prosecution pick an INTELLIGENT jury.

My gosh, the man finally admitted to sexually assaulting Michelle, and they couldn't convict him? Like she would witness her husband being shot and possibly " dismembered", I have read, and fought back HARD, but there was REASONABLE DOUBT??
OMG!!!!!

I am too mad to say anything else. :furious::furious:

Yes! Change of venue and some psychologists to help the prosecution pick an INTELLIGENT jury.

My gosh, the man finally admitted to sexually assaulting Michelle, and they couldn't convict him? Like she would witness her husband being shot and possibly " dismembered", I have read, and fought back HARD, but there was REASONABLE DOUBT??
OMG!!!!!

What? Why do you say they are unintelligent? I never saw that in any of them. Dismembered? Where are you reading all this baloney?? :waitasec:

OMG!!!!!

I think you are confusing this case with some other case. He did not admit to sexually assaulting Michelle, she was NOT sexually assaulted. Nobody was dismembered, or even "possibly" dismembered. Maybe an anger management session is in your future.

http://www.winknews.com/news/top/31446744.html?vauto=y

"FORT MYERS, Fla. - "It was difficult at times because you had 12 different personalities in there sometimes going at each other," Chuck Machell, juror on Fred Cooper's trial, says.

Jurors in the Fred Cooper double-murder trial say they leaned toward a conviction, but it wasn't enough -- a judge declared a mistrial after the jury dead-locked.

Eight to four -- that's what jurors tell WINK News was the tally of those for to against convicting Fred Cooper of killing Steven and Michelle Andrews nearly three years ago.

Because there wasn't a unanimous decision, the judge declared a mistrial and the whole process will have to start over -- something the jurors on this case say won't be easy."

:banghead:

That's after prosecutors presented a motive -- Cooper's girlfriend was having an affair with Steven Andrews. Six witnesses placed cooper at the victims' Gateway neighborhood the night they were killed, and Cooper's DNA was found on Michelle Andrews's body.

In a surprising twist Fred Cooper took the stand to own up to those questions. He testified he had sex with Michelle the night she was murdered.:furious:

"Did you believe Fred Cooper's testimony?" Reporter Maggie Crane asked.

"No," Machell says.

But that didn't stop speculation.

"A lot of the DNA and info was contaminated -- the blood -- right there -- I think that set (other jurors) off right away. They thought if that was contaminated, what else might be contaminated," Shepard says.

Some jurors we talked to say the graphic pictures and testimony they heard left them with a "jury hangover."

Repost for the information regarding Cooper's testimony........everyone please keep calm, cool and collected! I also question where the jurors heads where, and since the taxes I pay helped pay the bill for this mistrial, I am entitled to.

Repost for the information regarding Cooper's testimony........everyone please keep calm, cool and collected! I also question where the jurors heads where, and since the taxes I pay helped pay the bill for this mistrial, I am entitled to.

They deliberated for what? 3-4 days? There wasn't a lot of evidence proving he was guilty. I really thought he was innocent, until he testified. Once he sat there and explained every single piece of evidence, just made me think he did do it. It doesn't surprise me in the least there was a mistrial. I doubt he'll testify next time.

Hopefully, this fubar will only allow the prosecutors a chance to fine-tune the case against Cooper and getting the trial moved to a different location works for me - it's still the same facts and players involved. I'm definitely keeping the faith.....

Hopefully, this fubar will only allow the prosecutors a chance to fine-tune the case against Cooper and getting the trial moved to a different location works for me - it's still the same facts and players involved. I'm definitely keeping the faith.....

It's a shame they didn't think to "fine tune" the case within the last 3 years. Good grief how much time do they need to fabricate evidence? Their previous efforts were ineffective. Maybe if they try harder they can execute a man who they have failed to prove is guilty of the crime he has been accused of.

But you go! Good for you.

Wow, I read this thread beginning to end a few days ago on my little blackberry, kept me awake all night. The girlfriend, she reminds me of Casey Anthony. Cold hearted and getting on with her life. From what I have read through this thread and the links that are still active, he is guilty, then again I didn't sit through the trial. I'm new here so getting the feel for it after being a lurker. But I've been a nosy you-know-what all my life. My nose says he's the guy.

It's a shame they didn't think to "fine tune" the case within the last 3 years. Good grief how much time do they need to fabricate evidence? Their previous efforts were ineffective. Maybe if they try harder they can execute a man who they have failed to prove is guilty of the crime he has been accused of.

Oh, please......the majority of the jurors agree with me, so the LCSO and State Attorney's Office is NOT off the mark here. Fred is far from innocent but if you feel better supporting this LONE suspect - Good for you.

Oh, please......the majority of the jurors agree with me, so the LCSO and State Attorney's Office is NOT off the mark here. Fred is far from innocent but if you feel better supporting this LONE suspect - Good for you.

Our justice system doesn't allow a man to be convicted on what the majority of the jury thinks. It was split 8-4, that tells me that the prosecution couldn't prove their case. We'll have to see what happens in the next trial. I respect your opinion, but if you have seen the evidence and watched the trial, no way did they prove their case.

Our justice system doesn't allow a man to be convicted on what the majority of the jury thinks. It was split 8-4, that tells me that the prosecution couldn't prove their case. We'll have to see what happens in the next trial. I respect your opinion, but if you have seen the evidence and watched the trial, no way did they prove their case.

I take it that you have seen all of the evidence and watched the trial? Do tell - but please, I really do not need to hear from you again that our justice system doesn't allow a conviction in split decisions......Duh.......just know this, I do not post on a thread where I have zero knowledge in regards to the subject at hand. As a local, I may have to refrain for personal reasons from time to time and just try to supply the press reports for our readers here, so pardon me for not engaging you in a debate in this atmosphere.

Wow, I read this thread beginning to end a few days ago on my little blackberry, kept me awake all night. The girlfriend, she reminds me of Casey Anthony. Cold hearted and getting on with her life. From what I have read through this thread and the links that are still active, he is guilty, then again I didn't sit through the trial. I'm new here so getting the feel for it after being a lurker. But I've been a nosy you-know-what all my life. My nose says he's the guy.

Bless your heart! Reading all of this of of a Blackberry........and still come up with the correct gut feeling. Hopefully by the time the next trial starts, you will be able to keep up on a full screen! Welcome to WebSleuths!!!

And I agree, the GF was somehow able to not miss a beat after losing both boyfriends and a lady that she had met before all in one night due to her decisions.

Would you happen to be related to Mr. Cooper or to know him?

Cooper could have had sex with Michelle the night of the murders but I doubt that it would have been because she wanted to. Maybe he raped her to get back at her husband for having an affair with his girlfriend. Just wondering if that is a possibility.

If his DNA was found on Michelle then that pretty much tells the tale in my opinion. He was seen in that neighborhood by many people that day/night. He was angry about his girlfriend and the husband having an affair.

What blood evidence was supposed to be contaminated? I doubt that the whole LE went around and contaminated evidence just so they could arrest and try Cooper. Isn't that something that comes up at most trials?

My heart goes out to the families who have to go through this whole thing again. I hope the next jury use some common sense and come up with the right verdict.

Bless your heart! Reading all of this of of a Blackberry........and still come up with the correct gut feeling. Hopefully by the time the next trial starts, you will be able to keep up on a full screen! Welcome to WebSleuths!!!

And I agree, the GF was somehow able to not miss a beat after losing both boyfriends and a lady that she had met before all in one night due to her decisions.

Thanks for the welcome. :) Most of what I've read on WS has been on my blackberry at night in bed!! Now that I'm on the big screen I'm still of the same mindset, he's guilty. I realize that the evidence may be difficult for jurors to understand scientifically, but it seems fairly straightforward to me. Now if they want to come up with another suspect who has motive, means and opportunity I'd be glad to entertain those ideas also.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
saglimtas20
Back