FL - Tyre Sampson, 14, dies from fall on Free Fall Drop Tower ride, ICON Park, Orlando, Mar 2022 *graphic*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Florida FreeFall teen death: Operator error to blame, ride safety expert says

Pages 57 and 58 of the 176-page manual discuss rider limitations and restrictions, according to FOX 35 Orlando.

"Be careful when seeing if large guests fit into the seats. Check that they fit within the contours of the seat and the bracket fits properly. If this is not so - Do not let this person ride," the manual reads (the bolded line is bolded in the manual).

Florida FreeFall teen death: Operator error to blame, ride safety expert says

I anticipate that the theme park and the ride manufacturer will be sued. It won’t bring back Tyre, but something went wrong, obviously. It seems there is inconsistency with the rules about who can ride and who cannot. Some ride operators did not allow him on the ride, this operator did. I truly expect the park to be held responsible.

Orlando FreeFall restraint locked when teen fell, did not function as intended, independent safety inspector says

“The most spectacular thing that the industry has done lately is they put sample chairs outside the ride before you get into the cue line,” Martin said. “Those model chairs are for you to sit down in and sit to see if you fit. If that chair existed at the entrance that would be your first level of safety. It didn’t.”

Martin said the manual makes it clear that it would be difficult if not impossible to start the ride if all of the lights on a computer screen were not green. Green lights indicate to the ride operator that the restraint bars are locked down.

Martin also said the preliminary accident report makes it clear that when the ride stopped, Tyre Sampson’s bar was still locked down, even when Sampson was no longer in the seat.

“The safety bar has multiple positions,” Martin said. “And one of two things happened: the rider was able to lock it in the first position or the rider was able to hold the bar down across his chest.”

News 6 asked Martin, “Just because the bar was down when the ride stopped doesn’t necessarily mean that it worked you’re saying?”

“Yes exactly,” Martin said. “I’ve seen people come out of lap bars that have been locked.”

I anticipate that the theme park and the ride manufacturer will be sued. It won’t bring back Tyre, but something went wrong, obviously. It seems there is inconsistency with the rules about who can ride and who cannot. Some ride operators did not allow him on the ride, this operator did. I truly expect the park to be held responsible.

Orlando FreeFall restraint locked when teen fell, did not function as intended, independent safety inspector says
This young man did nothing wrong,” Ken Martin said. “It’s the owner operator’s responsibility to inform the rider what the requirements are. I don’t understand why there are failures on multiple levels. Failures at the manufacturer’s level, failure at the owner-operator level. Basically, the weight limit in the ride manual is there.”

‘A preliminary accident report into what caused a 14-year-old boy to fall to his death while on an amusement park ride in Orlando last week, has found that the locking mechanism on Tyre Sampson's seat was working, but that the 350lb teenager may have been too heavy for the ride.

Sampson, 14, fell to his death last Thursday from the FreeFall drop tower at ICON Park on International Drive, which sees riders hoisted 430 feet in the air before forcefully dropping them at speeds reaching 75mph, exerting massive G-forces in the process.’

‘Ride had a maximum weight limit of 287lbs, Sampson weighed closer to 350lbs’

Tyre Sampson who fell to his death from 430ft ICON park drop tower too heavy for ride locked seat | Daily Mail Online

This young man did nothing wrong,” Ken Martin said. “It’s the owner operator’s responsibility to inform the rider what the requirements are. I don’t understand why there are failures on multiple levels. Failures at the manufacturer’s level, failure at the owner-operator level. Basically, the weight limit in the ride manual is there.”

How can this be a failure by the manufacturer when they give a weight limit?

If it was locked when the ride started, the ride’s manufacturer starts to share more liability with the park. For simplicity, I’m including anyone that had a role in the design/manufacture/sale of the ride/parts/manual as “manufacturer.”

I haven’t watched the video. But the photo does not appear to show the harness in the locked position. It could have been buckled after the photo.

In my experience, the bulk of liability is on the park as operator/employer.

JMO.

I just have a random question, not victim blaming. Say Tyre is at the park with his buddies, they are all going on rides, having a great time. And Tyre keeps getting turned away from rides due to his size. He finally finds an operator who lets him on the ride. (Total employee safety fail), and Tyre does get harness to "lock down", after holding in his breathe. Because he really wants to go on a ride.

Then, when the ride starts, and his full weight is against the harness, it pops. And it is too late.

I have personally seen people who have been on airplanes, try to get safety belts on...so they won't ask for an extension belt.

Not blaming a 14 year old at all. Total fail on employee. But he may have checked the harness and it was "clicked". But once G force started...done.

@CTurnerWFTV

There’s a growing makeshift memorial to honor Tyre Sampson, 14, who fell to his death from the Orlando Free Fall ride at Icon Park. The teen is being remembered as kindhearted, an exceptional student, and a standout on the football field.
@WFTV
Thank you for posting this.

*Adding an around the waist seat-belt would probably cost a couple of dollars, but could easily save lives. I didn't know that the ride tipped forward. If the shoulder apparatus failed, the seat-belt would be a back up. Just a few dollars...Profits over safety IMO.

Last edited:
Tyre Sampson's Seat Was Still Locked When The Ride Stopped, Investigation Into Teen's Death Reveals

"Harness was still in a down and locked position when the ride stopped," the report states. CNN says the report is based on ride employee witnesses.

SlingShot Group, who owns the ride, said its safety precautions mean it is only meant to operate if all riders are safely locked in.

There might have been an error and all riders were shown as locked in before the ride could start. This would match what the operators were saying in some articles about the green light being on.

Records: Tyre Sampson may have exceeded ride's weight limit | ksdk.com

According to an operating manual for the FreeFall ride, the weight limit for the ride was about 287 pounds. Sampson's father said he weighed about 325 pounds.

He is almost 40 lbs over the weight limit but at his height he would look leaner than a 5’10 or a 6 ft tall person who is 287. The operators might not like asking about someone’s weight unless someone is obviously 50 to 100 lbs or more over the limit. He was told he was too big for other rides but the rides might have different weight limits
From the video, I felt that Tyre fell forward out of the ride and landed prone. So I don't know if the shoulder restraint lifted when the ride was making its descent. Experts will be studying the video to see just how he fell from the seat. MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back