DNA Solves
DNA Solves

arielilane

Justice for Liz Barraza
Reaction score
Website
www.whokilledlizbarraza.com

Jan 10th, 2024, 2:20 pm

A defendant is representing himself in court as one of the people charged with stabbing a man to death during a robbery in a property in Florida known as “The Treehouse.” The case of Franklin Tyrone Tucker, 52, caught attention in part because his childhood friend and CrossFit cofounder, Lauren Jenai, bailed him out of jail and married him.

You can watch in the player above.

More information from L&C article:

Deputies in Monroe County, Florida, said that Tucker and Rory “Detroit” Wilson approached the Treehouse property on Stock Island in November 2017 wearing skull masks. They walked in on a man and woman drinking and held them at knifepoint, authorities said. It escalated to Wilson slashing the woman in the neck and hand while Tucker held the man at knifepoint, documents show.

Then the robbers encountered Matthew Bonnett, who was stabbed five times and his nose broken during a fatal confrontation.

Jurors convicted Wilson in December 2022 of first-degree murder and robbery with a deadly weapon while masked. He is serving a sentence of life without parole.

A third defendant, Travis Johnson, was arrested as the getaway driver. He pleaded guilty in 2023 to robbery with a weapon while masked, and aggravated assault with a deadly weapon while masked. Johnson, who testified against Wilson, has agreed to do the same against Tucker.

Jan 10th, 2024, 2:20 pm

@cathyrusson

Background on #TreehouseMurderTrial https://lawandcrime.com/live-trials/live-trials-current/franklin-tyrone-tucker/watch-live-murder-defendant-who-married-crossfit-co-founder-represents-himself/ FL v. #FranklinTucker

9:08 AM · Jan 11, 2024

Yes, the walls are really this hideous green.... The defendant is representing himself. He's on the right in the vest.

9:32 AM · Jan 11, 2024

1705073394218.png

Defendant will defer his opening statement until after the state rests. #TreehouseMurderTrial

9:35 AM · Jan 11, 2024

Even though he told the judge he was going to defer his opening, defendant #FranklinTucker decided to get up and give an opening anyway.

10:01 AM · Jan 11, 2024

1705073751933.png

Last edited:
@cathyrusson

"We smoked crack and snorted coke and smoked cigarettes" - Roger Reugutt, friend of surviving victim testifies about their drug use at the "treehouse" back in 2017.
12:18 PM · Jan 11, 2024

1705073839528.png

Regutt testifies he was at the "treehouse" in November 2017 when two men in skull masks entered. They started beating him and surviving victim Paula Belmote.

12:32 PM · Jan 11, 2024

Regutt testified the masked men cut Paula's neck with a knife. She survived. Another man there, Matthew Bonnett was stabbed to death. Prosecutors say defendant Franklin Tucker and another man, Rory Wilson were the two masked men. Wilson was convicted in Dec. 2022 and sentenced to life. Tucker says it wasn't him.

12:44 PM · Jan 11, 2024

1705073926032.png

Regutt says he knew one of the two masked men as a man he'd met before. He said he was a Black man and he recognized his voice. He said the other guy was a taller guy about the height of defendant Franklin Tucker. (He can't identify the defendant).

2:17 PM · Jan 11, 2024

DAILY TRIAL HIGHLIGHTS

DAY 1 – 1/11/24

• Both sides delivered opening statements
  • Acting as his own attorney, defendant Franklin Ty Tucker proclaimed his innocence and accused authorities of fabricating evidence to build a case around him
  • Surviving victim Rodger Raugett offered a somewhat convoluted but steadfast account of two masked suspects barging into the makeshift treehouse where he and his friend Paula Belmonte were drinking and smoking crack. He said one of the suspects knocked him out while the other demanded “money or drugs” from Belmonte and stabbed her, then attacked property owner Matthew Bonnett before fleeing
  • A rather tense exchange occurred outside the jury’s presence: Assistant State Attorney Joseph Mansfield accused the defendant of giving him a “threatening look” during arguments over the admissibility of statements from the arrest affidavit. Mansfield told the judge that Tucker “keeps looking at me” and “interjecting… little comments” that Mansfield deemed unprofessional. The judge warned Tucker to direct objections toward to him and reminded Tucker that lawyers spend years practicing learning rules and procedures. They are more “subtle than you,” the judge said
  • WATCH: Treehouse Murder Trial: Day 1 Recap

Treehouse Murder Trial: FL v. Franklin Tyrone Tucker

Posted at 9:50 PM, January 11, 2024

A couple of articles:

TREEHOUSE MURDER: The Investigators Under Investigation - Key West The Newspaper

October 19, 2019 April 25, 2021

May 15, 2020, 12:13 PM ET

DAILY TRIAL HIGHLIGHTS

DAY 3 – 1/16/24

• Court will be closed on Monday, Jan. 15, in observance of Martin Luther King, Jr. Day.
DAY 2 – 1/12/24

• Representing himself, Tucker spent much of Friday picking apart evidence that former Det. Danielle Malone used in the affidavit to arrest and indict him.
    • Prosecutors repeatedly objected as the questioning became redundant and argumentative at times. The judge overruled most of the objections and noted at the end of the day that he was giving Tucker significant leeway.
    • On direct, Malone spent less than 30 minutes introducing surveillance video that prosecutors claim shows Tucker and codefendant Rory Wilson walking to the crime scene from Johnson’s truck.
    • On cross, Malone agreed with Tucker that without his codefendants’ statements implicating him — and disregarding the totality of the circumstances — there was no other evidence connecting him to the attack when she wrote the affidavit.
    • WATCH: Treehouse Murder Trial: Defense Cross-Examines Deputy
    • Tucker pressed Malone on why the police never arrested Anathea Clay, the woman believed to have set up the robbery as payback against Paula Belmonte for stiffing Clay during a drug deal.
      • Malone testified, “She never rose to the level of murder suspect.”
  • Outside the presence of the jury, both sides argued about whether evidence Tucker wants to use to impeach prosecution witnesses can be admitted.
  • The judge ruled that victim Paula Belmonte would be allowed to testify remotely from the hospital.

Posted at 5:01 PM, January 12, 2024

OK so the getaway driver took a plea and said Tucker was a part of the planning. Apparently, the other co-defendant was convicted of the homicide and robbery and also put Tucker at the scene during his pre-arrest interview. I believe Detective Malone said repeatedly that both co-defendants pointed the finger at him. And Tucker himself during his pre-arrest interview said he was with the black male codefendant on the day of the incident or he was at the warehouse where the other co-defendant said they planned the robbery (I could be misunderstanding this part of the testimony).

There’s no forensic evidence, which makes sense if they were gloved and weren’t challenged physically by the victims. It also took a couple weeks to arrest them so any injuries they may have had probably healed by then? Maybe. My understanding from the surviving male victim that has testified so far is that Tucker would’ve been the one that killed Matt.

So how in the H E double hockey sticks did the state offer time served to Tucker??? That is wild to me! It leads me to wonder whether they have major issues clearing reasonable doubt since the female victim is going to testify Tucker wasn’t there. But I feel they can say she didn’t interact with Tucker since he was with the surviving male victim and perhaps she has a motive to cover for Tucker!

What motive do the two co-defendants have to point the finger at Tucker?? Unless, some clear motive can be established by Tucker he will be found guilty because he is guilty. JMO.

OK so the getaway driver took a plea and said Tucker was a part of the planning. Apparently, the other co-defendant was convicted of the homicide and robbery and also put Tucker at the scene during his pre-arrest interview. I believe Detective Malone said repeatedly that both co-defendants pointed the finger at him. And Tucker himself during his pre-arrest interview said he was with the black male codefendant on the day of the incident or he was at the warehouse where the other co-defendant said they planned the robbery (I could be misunderstanding this part of the testimony).

There’s no forensic evidence, which makes sense if they were gloved and weren’t challenged physically by the victims. It also took a couple weeks to arrest them so any injuries they may have had probably healed by then? Maybe. My understanding from the surviving male victim that has testified so far is that Tucker would’ve been the one that killed Matt.

So how in the H E double hockey sticks did the state offer time served to Tucker??? That is wild to me! It leads me to wonder whether they have major issues clearing reasonable doubt since the female victim is going to testify Tucker wasn’t there. But I feel they can say she didn’t interact with Tucker since he was with the surviving male victim and perhaps she has a motive to cover for Tucker!

What motive do the two co-defendants have to point the finger at Tucker?? Unless, some clear motive can be established by Tucker he will be found guilty because he is guilty. JMO.
Appreciate reading your input, @Weki. You bring up some valid points. For one, why would anyone point the crime toward FTT?

It will be interesting when PB testifies. Crickets? Is she in fear of retaliation?
FTT, said, she would not be able to ID him as being at the crime scene, because he was not there.

Why is he representing himself? Narcissist, thinks he is smarter than anyone else? idk. Why turn down a plea deal of time served and now face Life. From what I've read, he has no interest in negotiating a plea deal with the state.

jmo

Appreciate reading your input, @Weki. You bring up some valid points. For one, why would anyone point the crime toward FTT?

It will be interesting when PB testifies. Crickets? Is she in fear of retaliation?
FTT, said, she would not be able to ID him as being at the crime scene, because he was not there.

Why is he representing himself? Narcissist, thinks he is smarter than anyone else? idk. Why turn down a plea deal of time served and now face Life. From what I've read, he has no interest in negotiating a plea deal with the state.

jmo
Thanks for the kind comment. I suspect that Roger Rugett (the surviving male victim) knows Tucker even though he testified he didn’t. He testified he recognized the body language of the black male co-defendant. I think Paula recognized both assailants as well. I think all these ppl were drug users/“partied” together/bought drugs off each other and know each other. I’m just speculating but it’s not uncommon for ppl in this lifestyle to not want to snitch on someone. And now that Tucker is married to a wealthy woman he can make it worth their while. Again, just speculating.

I’m assuming that Tucker thinks he will pay his way outta this. He will pay off the witnesses. And he somehow believes two defendants who have plead guilty/convicted immediately have no credibility. LE may have done sloppy work but they have no reason to implicate him. Like every other defendant he thinks crying police sloppiness/misconduct will work in his favor. But in this case there is no evidence to mishandle! It’s his own co-conspirators that snitched him out. I believe the one that got a deal will testify. That cross should be verrrryy interesting!

JMO

Thanks for the kind comment. I suspect that Roger Rugett (the surviving male victim) knows Tucker even though he testified he didn’t. He testified he recognized the body language of the black male co-defendant. I think Paula recognized both assailants as well. I think all these ppl were drug users/“partied” together/bought drugs off each other and know each other. I’m just speculating but it’s not uncommon for ppl in this lifestyle to not want to snitch on someone. And now that Tucker is married to a wealthy woman he can make it worth their while. Again, just speculating.

I’m assuming that Tucker thinks he will pay his way outta this. He will pay off the witnesses. And he somehow believes two defendants who have plead guilty/convicted immediately have no credibility. LE may have done sloppy work but they have no reason to implicate him. Like every other defendant he thinks crying police sloppiness/misconduct will work in his favor. But in this case there is no evidence to mishandle! It’s his own co-conspirators that snitched him out. I believe the one that got a deal will testify. That cross should be verrrryy interesting!

JMO
Agree about RR and PB probably recognized both assailants. I believed most of RR's testimony until he was asked about knowing FTT, he's eyes shifting downward told me differently. Is he scared?

I believe his wealthy spouse is the one that got him out on bond. moo

"a man who is his own lawyer has a fool for a client"

Yes, it is key lime on the walls, trial is being hold in Key West, FL

Pro Se Defendant (he is out on bond)

The state prosecutor witness RR:

-- He testified that the attackers were wearing skull masks asked for money and drugs, while PB and he were being held at knife point during robbery at the TreeHouse.
-- PB gave them the money and drugs.
-- Matt came up to the platform, and yelled for help.
-- The person using a knife against RR, said we got to go.
-- Person jumped out and got Matt and stabbed him to death.
-- RR gave PB a towel and ran down the steps, and ran over Matt.

-- RR said that he does not know Franklin Tucker. He is friends with PB.
-- The taller man went down to where Matt had been.
-- It was the taller and skinner person that told RR to be (shhh gesture with finger) quiet.
-- The shorter man was upstairs - Taller man hit RR, and RR hit a tarp and got tied up in the tarp.

-- Pro Se Defendant wanted to re-cross (judge made an exception)/ Re-cross is not the norm.
-- Pro se defendant able to get witness RR to say one of the robbers/attackers was same height as (defendant) him. Lol

@cathyrusson

Defendant Tucker is late AGAIN. Judge got warned him about that last week. Court on hold until he gets there. https://youtube.com/watch?v=V2QXGUDHOE4#FranklinTucker

9:24 AM · Jan 16, 2024

Tucker has arrived. He said he was in the hospital this morning visiting surviving victim Paula Belmonte. She has a critical medical condition (unrelated to this case) and will have to testify via Zoom. Tucker says due to her situation he wants her to testify today instead of later in the week as scheduled. NOTE: Paula says Tucker is innocent and that he wasn't one of the men that was there that night.

9:36 AM · Jan 16, 2024

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dmccastor
Back