GUILTY FL - Wayne Treacy for savage beating of 15yo girl, Deerfield Beach, 17 March 2010

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
An angry young man intent on murder, or an emotionally damaged victim of post-traumatic stress disorder brought on by finding the body of his brother, who had committed suicide?

Jurors heard contrasting profiles of Wayne Treacy during opening statements of the Pompano Beach teenager’s attempted first-degree murder trial Monday in Broward Circuit Court in Fort Lauderdale.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/07/09/2888402/trial-begins-for-teen-accused.html#storylink=cpy

Prosecutors are expected to rest their case Wednesday against Wayne Treacy, the Pompano Beach teenager who is presenting an insanity defense against charges of attempted first-degree murder for beating and nearly killing Josie Lou Ratley, a Deerfield Beach Middle School student, in March 2010, after she sent Treacy a taunting text message about his dead brother.

It is unknown if Ratley, who suffered permanent brain damage from the attack, will testify.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/07/11/2890737/prosecutors-expected-to-rest-case.html#storylink=cpy

VERDICT IN

GUILTY!!!! FIRST DEGREE ATTEMPTED MURDER

They just broke in on our regular programming here to stream the verdict. I've been checking all the websites and only cbs affiliate is reporting the verdict is in.

I knew this would happen quick. I watched 90% of the trial - it was live streamed.

I hope Josie and her mom can now find some peace and that Josie's recovery continues to be positive.

JMHO

Ok - its starting to "hit" all over the net. Here's a good link:

Jury: 17-year-old Wayne Treacy guilty of attempted murder
BY DANIEL CHANG The Miami Herald

Wayne Treacy was convicted of attempted first-degree murder for the savage beating of Josie Lou Ratley in March 2010.
Treacy, 17, was silent and showed no expression as the verdict was read about 1:45 p.m. Monday in Broward Criminal Court. His mother, Donna Powers, also showed no expression.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/07/16/2897567/jury-begins-deliberations-in-treacy.html#storylink=cpy

So, they deliberated 4 hours or so? Have they said when he will be sentenced?

I am happy with the verdict. I could not see any other charge being the proper one for this case and am glad to see it end this way.

So, they deliberated 4 hours or so? Have they said when he will be sentenced?

I read somewhere that he will be sentenced within the next 90 days. And JMHO - I hope the judge hits him with all 50 years.

Good. I absolutely hate insanity defenses. I personally think the whole not guilty by reason of insanity defense should be eliminated. At best it should be "guilty but insane." In which case they should be send to a mental hospital, but as soon as shrinks deemed them "cured" they shouldn't be set free but instead to prison to serve their sentence.

For what it's worth, my heart is broken.

Might not be worth much on this board, but I can't believe the pain Wayne's family has suffered. Please God, see to it that my family doesn't have to suffer like they have - a young promising adult hanging himself, and the other promising scholastically successful son now likely in prison for the rest of his fruitful life.

Please God don't let me have to suffer losses like Donna has. I really couldn't take it.

Wayne Treacy sentenced for attack on Josie Lou Ratley
Treacy receives 20 years in prison, 10 years probation

Published On: Oct 22 2012 09:49:27 AM EDT Updated On: Oct 22 2012 07:19:59 PM EDT

FORT LADUDERDALE, Fla. - Wayne Treacy was sentenced Monday for the attack that left 15-year-old Josie Lou Ratley with permanent brain injuries.

Broward Circuit Judge David Haimes sentenced Treacy to 20 years in prison with 10 years probation. He was facing a maximum of 50 years and a minimum of 15 years.

Treacy showed no emotion but his stepfather did.

***more at link***

http://www.local10.com/news/Wayne-T...tley/-/1717324/17079888/-/p02mj5/-/index.html

That's was about as merciful as the judge could have been, from what I understand. Fifteen years is the minimum sentence. I don't think Wayne Treacy is even in any condition to care what happens to him - prayers that somehow he will be able to benefit from psychiatric help while in prison. His mother looks like she's aged a decade.

No 20 isnt enough

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

http://touch.sun-sentinel.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-82745133/

The Ratley's won a 575K lawsuit against the school district for failing to keep Treacy off the campus.

As awful as what happened to Josie was, school districts can not possibly police their grounds during school let out time. There was no indication to anyone in power that she might be in danger and neither she nor her friend reported there was a danger.

I really can't imagine how the school district could have prevented this - and want to note that the teacher who stepped in to stop the assault did it as quickly and decisively as humanly possible.

I guess sometimes juries just look at a case and decide since she's suffered, and the school district has money, let's give her their money.

Bullying? I don't think that if I ran a national anti-bullying campaign I'd choose a girl who was beaten nearly to death after sending hateful texts to a boy who was suffering the loss of his brother through suicide.

She wasn't bullied, she was assaulted and nearly died in a one time situation.

Maybe if I ran a program for people to predict when they might be assaulted, or defending themselves when assaulted, this might be the story to choose.

Why does anyone think this is bullying? Bullying is taunting someone weaker and vulnerable.

Lest anyone think I'm disparaging Josie or that I'm saying her assault was justified, I'm not. This is akin to having a victim of stray gunfire or rape be called a victim of bullying. Bullying is bullying, and it has a definition, and what happened to her isn't it.

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/Josie-Ratley-Goes-to-DC-to-Fight-Bullying-123217963.html

No 20 isnt enough

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think 20 is much MORE than enough. He was 15 at the time of the crime - and adults who torture children to death get lesser sentences than 20 years.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abk018
Back