FL - West Palm Beach - Trump Assassination Attempt

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm confused by this. Are they implying that an agent saw him with a weapon and ignored him??? what???

Meanwhile, an agent that had spotted Routh at the golf course earlier in the day initially thought he was a homeless man, Punchbowl News reporter Mica Soellner reports.

Routh was not handling a firearm at the time, but had a weapon lying next to him, she said.
I was confused about that, too, when I got o the weapon lying near him part.

You’re right, thank you for posting this.

<Snipped for focus>

It wouldn't be President Trump "endangering" anyone if a would-be assassin was to show up, it would be the would-be assassin. President Trump has attended several high profile football games/special matches when he was the sitting president and although traffic and entry time can take longer, otherwise everything went well, so there is no reason to suspect that it won't go well this time. President Trump will probably pretty much stay inside the luxury suite where he will be a guest. And I hope he enjoys the game, he's been through a lot lately, and this game sounds like it will be an exciting one.

I am surprised Trump would choose to attend such a public event, given the recent assassination attempts on his life.
I can't imagine the challenge this will pose to the Secret Service.

At what point does the Secret Service have the right to weigh in on his purely social activities and the real danger posed to both himself and his SS Agents? Not his campaign activities or his past as a former president, but his voluntary social life.
IMO, he is putting Agents in unnecessary danger because of his reckless personal choices.

I hope everyone at that game remains safe as the crowd doesn't have personal SS protection, like Trump does.

JMO

ETA - It one thing if people choose to attend one of his campaign events, it's quite another to endanger the other attendees at a non-related public event.
I'm not the least bit surprised.
The SS job is to protect him, not to play mommy/daddy and tell him when/where he's allowed to go.

I'm not the least bit surprised.
The SS job is to protect him, not to play mommy/daddy and tell him when/where he's allowed to go.
Actually, they do have some leeway. They are expected to advise him when certain activities are high risk and dangerous. Most presidents listen and take that advice.

The House unanimously voted Friday to pass a bill bolstering Secret Service protection for major presidential and vice presidential candidates, a move that comes in the wake of two apparent assassination attempts targeting GOP presidential nominee Donald Trump.

The vote was 405-0.

The bill directs the Secret Service director to apply uniform standards for protection of presidents, vice presidents and major presidential and vice presidential candidates.
(…)
Now that the bill has passed by the House, the bill next needs to be passed by the Senate in order to be signed into law.

The House unanimously voted Friday to pass a bill bolstering Secret Service protection for major presidential and vice presidential candidates, a move that comes in the wake of two apparent assassination attempts targeting GOP presidential nominee Donald Trump.

The vote was 405-0.

The bill directs the Secret Service director to apply uniform standards for protection of presidents, vice presidents and major presidential and vice presidential candidates.
(…)
Now that the bill has passed by the House, the bill next needs to be passed by the Senate in order to be signed into law.

I haven't read the bill, but from the description, it doesn't contain any appropriations. IOW, it directs the SS to apply the same level of security for all these people, but it doesn't provide them with the increased level of funds necessary to do so.

I suppose they could just reduce the level of security for everyone. It would meet the requirement of the bill, at least.

GOP Rep. Mike Kelly of Pennsylvania, who chairs the task force, said on Wednesday of the question of Congress providing additional funding to the agency, “(The Secret Service) should know how to ask for what it is that they need, and be able to justify why they are asking for it, to substantiate, come up with the reason why you’re looking for something.”

Actually, leaving out the funding is probably the only way the bill could pass. Ugh.

I haven't read the bill, but from the description, it doesn't contain any appropriations. IOW, it directs the SS to apply the same level of security for all these people, but it doesn't provide them with the increased level of funds necessary to do so.

I suppose they could just reduce the level of security for everyone. It would meet the requirement of the bill, at least.

Actually, leaving out the funding is probably the only way the bill could pass. Ugh.
There's a current funding bill before Congress, Rowe and the reporters disgusted and answered questions today at the PC.

Congress has committed to funding, however they want to know specifically how the funds will be used. In March SS requested 10 million be redirect from campaign funding, as not needed, to another fund. I think Congress is being very careful funding will be used for protection.

Reducing protection is not an option.

Moo...

While some leaders have floated a funding increase, other lawmakers — including Johnson — have suggested the issue is one of workforce and resource allocation, not funding levels. The Speaker did, however, say he would be prepared to provide the agency with more money if deemed necessary.

“We have got to get down to the bottom of this. We got to ensure that this doesn’t happen again,” Johnson said this week. “If they need additional funding, Congress will supply that. But we’re told it’s a manpower problem.”
If the Secret Service leadership can allocate resources that are already available but are not being utilized properly I'm all for it. If they really do need more money then I hope Congress gives it to them.

Blindly throwing money at the problem is not good leadership. JMO.

I disagree that leaving out funding was the only way the bill could pass.

It passed 405-0. That is incredible. imo

I disagree that leaving out funding was the only way the bill could pass.

It passed 405-0. That is incredible. imo

I'm looking at how it was introduced and moved through committee. The bill was introduced in July. It went to Committee, then sat there until Sept 19, when it was finally voted out of committee. From there it was passed today.

It now goes to the Senate for a vote.

In his talk today, Rowe said that the SS had already prepared its proposal for expanding the Secret Service, along with the budget necessary and timeline, etc. He is prepared to present it to Congress to see if they will provide the necessary funding, so its not finished yet. The hard work comes in the Senate, which, pending passage, it goes back to the House. They may find a way to get it enacted without having to send it back to the House.

It's still uncertain what will be passed and funded, JMO.

There's a current funding bill before Congress, Rowe and the reporters disgusted and answered questions today at the PC.

Congress has committed to funding, however they want to know specifically how the funds will be used. In March SS requested 10 million be redirect from campaign funding, as not needed, to another fund. I think Congress is being very careful funding will be used for protection.

Reducing protection is not an option.

Moo...

Rowe has already submitted his budget for the expansion of SS to meet the requirements, as he mentioned in his talk. He covered some of the details. JMO, its not a done deal yet.

A source with direct knowledge of the legislation told CNN that the House bill will codify what President Joe Biden did and the process by which he did it. The bill will also authorize the president to extend this protection to any other presidential or vice presidential candidate for whom they have otherwise authorized the Secret Service to protect.

Biden said in a recent radio interview that more resources should be provided to the Secret Service.

“We need more resources. We need more agents, we need more protection, we need to expand the availability of help,” the president said in the wake of the second apparent assassination attempt on Trump.

Maybe they can take some of the funds from the DoD. They have a lot of money. JMO

I'm looking at how it was introduced and moved through committee. The bill was introduced in July. It went to Committee, then sat there until Sept 19, when it was finally voted out of committee. From there it was passed today.
The House was not in session the entire month of August, returning after the Labor Day holiday. They return to their home states to meet with constituents.

Once the bill was out of committee, it passed within days at 100% support. Rarely down we see a bill pass this quickly, and even more rare at 100% approval. I'd say Congress is very supportive.

Moo...

Rowe has already submitted his budget for the expansion of SS to meet the requirements, as he mentioned in his talk. He covered some of the details. JMO, its not a done deal yet.

Maybe they can take some of the funds from the DoD. They have a lot of money. JMO
Congress controls 100% of all funding. Biden has no power over funding, except by veto. I don't see him vetoing support, after he has clearly, repeated stated the SS need funding.

This bill will be funded from tax payer dollars. I don't see any armed forces cuts, as the DOD budget has increased exponentially due to Ukraine and Israel arms funding. Now it may affect some of the special interests funding on the table.

Moo...

Congress controls 100% of all funding. Biden has no power over funding, except by veto. I don't see him vetoing support, after he has clearly, repeated stated the SS need funding.

This bill will be funded from tax payer dollars. I don't see any armed forces cuts, as the DOD budget has increased exponentially due to Ukraine and Israel arms funding. Now it may affect some of the special interests funding on the table.

Moo...
Yes, I know that, but its a team effort. Biden's OMB (Office of Management and Budget) is pushing Congress to take some special steps to get this done. Normally, the Congressional Budget Bills would be completed by now for 2025, but the process has become so damaged and manipulated to stage government shutdowns that passage doesn't happen anymore until well into the year when the money is needed.

Last month, Biden proposed emergency spending bills (CRs) to avoid government shutdown as a vehicle for funding Secret Service. Some are resisting approval of this funding. That's fine, but they have to go on record, in public when they refuse that essential funding.

The White House Office of Management and Budget submitted a so-called anomaly request to congressional committees in August, before the second apparent assassination attempt on former President Donald Trump, this time, at his golf course in West Palm Beach, Florida.

OMB warned in its request that without some flexibility to ratchet up Secret Service spending soon, "the Secret Service would have insufficient resources to sustain and enhance protective operations."

If the SS is being asked to provide full security service on all of Trump's golf courses in the event he chooses to play golf on the spur of the moment, it will take more agent staffing, among other things.

Federal prosecutors on Monday said in a new court filing that Ryan Routh, the accused would-be assassin of Donald Trump, stalked the ex-president for a month before being arrested last week outside of his Florida golf course.

The man accused in the apparent assassination attempt of Donald Trump wrote a note months earlier saying that he intended to kill the former president, the Justice Department disclosed Monday in arguing that he should remain locked up as the case moves forward. The note, addressed “Dear World,” was placed in a box that was dropped at the home of an unidentified person who contacted law enforcement officials after last Sunday's arrest of Ryan Wesley Routh.

The box, which also contained ammunition, a metal pipe and other items, was not opened by the person until after Routh was taken into custody. The person who received the box and contacted law enforcement was not identified in the Justice Department's detention memo Monday.

“One handwritten letter, addressed to “The World,” stated, among other things, ‘This was an assassination attempt on Donald Trump but I failed you,’ ” the filing revealed.

″ ′ I tried my best and gave it all the gumption I could muster. It is up to you now to finish the job; and I will offer $150,000 to whomever can complete the job,′ ” the letter said, according to the court filing.

Detention Memo:

Attachments

• IMG_3023.jpeg
    IMG_3023.jpeg
    192.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3026.jpeg
    IMG_3026.jpeg
    41.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3025.jpeg
    IMG_3025.jpeg
    45.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Federal prosecutors on Monday said in a new court filing that Ryan Routh, the accused would-be assassin of Donald Trump, stalked the ex-president for a month before being arrested last week outside of his Florida golf course.

The man accused in the apparent assassination attempt of Donald Trump wrote a note months earlier saying that he intended to kill the former president, the Justice Department disclosed Monday in arguing that he should remain locked up as the case moves forward. The note, addressed “Dear World,” was placed in a box that was dropped at the home of an unidentified person who contacted law enforcement officials after last Sunday's arrest of Ryan Wesley Routh.

The box, which also contained ammunition, a metal pipe and other items, was not opened by the person until after Routh was taken into custody. The person who received the box and contacted law enforcement was not identified in the Justice Department's detention memo Monday.

“One handwritten letter, addressed to “The World,” stated, among other things, ‘This was an assassination attempt on Donald Trump but I failed you,’ ” the filing revealed.

″ ′ I tried my best and gave it all the gumption I could muster. It is up to you now to finish the job; and I will offer $150,000 to whomever can complete the job,′ ” the letter said, according to the court filing.

Detention Memo:

I stand by my assessment that the guy was cosplaying assassin. He is living in a make-believe world. Unfortunately for the real world, he was armed and dangerous as well as delusional.

jmo

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
culley2821