Florida Bar Allegedly Prepares Case against Baez

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I think it is important to clarify my post for understanding. I respect those opinions that disagree with my perspective, and think it is important to be clear about my point.

I am disgusted by the maneuvers and gamesmanship displayed by this defense team. It is appalling to watch innocent parties paraded as pawns in their effort to save their client. Sadly though...this is VERY common.

I am also disgusted by the "concerned citizens" who inject themselves into the case in order to attain their 15 minutes of fame or as an attempt to parlay that into a future deal.

This is a murder case and as much as I enjoy discussing and sleuthing, I do not enjoy watching folks team up to "report concerns" (or in some cases just plain old tattle) to the agencies that work so hard with limited resources.

Every call to LE, to the SAO, to the attorneys takes time away from the task at hand... prosecuting and defending in this case. As a Fl. taxpayer I most certainly take issue with the financial burden this case places on our State. What I am more concerned with however, is the workload of our LE and SA being bogged down with complaints that are already public record. While the Florida Bar governs it own members, the JAC is charged with the responsibility of processing and dispursing funds for indigent client representation statewide. Recently a JAC employee spoke to my spouse in a social situation. He joked around and said "Hey what about that Jose Baez?". Their response was...something along the lines of we have plenty of them. They did not insult him nor did they really have an opinion In other words...he does NOT stand out. (btw...this person does not have any involvement with approving funds so I am clear)

THe point is....we see JB...we don't see all the many others like him. He is not special. He is not the only one.

Do I for one minute think that the JAC and the Fl. Bar are unaware of the actions of Mr. Baez? Nope! He is most certainly on their radar. They know. We all know.

I concur with the opinion that procedure does not "trump" responsibility. That said, Mr. Baez is an attorney in private practice. He is NOT representative of any government agency. As appalling as he is, there are 50 more like him who are worse.

Take a look at the list of attorneys that have been disbarred recently.

I have both LE AND attoneys of varying degrees in my family. I see both sides. I have said it before.

My comment about allowing the system to work is based upon comments I see on other forums and in news and some here as well. When I see people so disgusted by this defense team talk about joining together to get Baez disbarred..I cringe just a bit.

I never approved of the mob mentality outside of the Anthony home and I don't agree with a mob mentality regarding Baez.

Folks are entitled to file complaints as they choose...I just don't agree with it becoming a group effort. I would hope not to see that here.

Judge Perry is a VERY wise man. These State's Attorney's are educated, experienced, and professional. The system while flawed, is as good as the participants. Caylee is in good hands. The rest of them...are on their own.

Thank you for all the great opinions and thoughts. THis is a wonderful place to discuss and comment.

Bravo! Hitting the thanks button was not enough. Well said and I know you are NOT pointing fingers at anyone here or elsewhere but talking 'in general' and I whole heartedly agree with you.

The Bar is not a public organization and have little to no responsibilities to the public. They fall within that same nebulous area of "private special interest group" not unlike the AMA, the ADA, and other professional certifying groups.

I couldn't disagree more. Protecting the public from unethical Lawyers, from unlicensed personnel, are a basic mandate for any Bar Association. They state this on their website as their responsibility -
http://www.floridabar.org/DIVCOM/PI/WebNodes.nsf/Nodes/D4775989DE9C0C8A85256FEF005FDB40
The State delegates the authority to the Bar Assn to regulate the admission of Attorneys to practise in that State, and the discipline of those who commit ethical or other violations.

I politely and respectfully disagree :) I would think the FL Bar would be the one entity where 'proof beyond a reasonable doubt' is sancrosanct. Is that not the whole premis of being a trial attorney. "Your Honor, just because Mr. Doe said under oath that Mr. Smith kicked his dog it does not make it true." In fact, I believe it is taught in defense cross examination 101 that you accuse every prosecution witness of lying! :) OK, probably not taught like that.

I think the Bar would hold themselves to the same standards that courts hold themselves to.

That's ok, Macushla. I usually agree with your posts but once in a while I guess we just have to agree to disagree. I was reading in this pamphlet on the FL Bar's website that says down in there somewhere that these complaints are handled as a civil matter which I think means it goes as "preponderance of evidence" rather than "beyond a reasonable doubt". I could be wrong though... it's happened many times before. :innocent: It's not really a big deal anyway because we'll all just have to have faith that they will do the right thing. I just hate thinking that any lawyer can get by with lying to the court. It gives all of them a bad name even though most of them are just trying to do a good and fair job as officers of the court and are seeking fairness and justice. :twocents:

So essentially when the trial is over, it might not be over. There could be more coming down the pike. If it is deserved, I hope we see it right away. jmo

I certainly hope so. For me, personally, I won't feel Caylee has justice unless her entire miserable family is behind bars.

IMO Cindy will blame the Media( but only the ones she decides are witchy poo), LE, the SAO...and bloggers.
IMO they will blame Baez IF Casey changes her mind and turns on him then IMO Cindy will follow suit..until or IF that happens then Cindy will praise Baez.
:twocents:

I agree with you. HOWEVER, if the defense goes after Cindy in mitigation, I doubt she will be praising Baez much after that.... :crazy:

I understand what you're saying about a "mob mentality". I have a sense though that this latest complaint to the Bar is NOT from an outside observer, a concerned citizen.

I have no proof of course, and it's all conjecture, but I do think the complaint was made by a direct player in this case. Just a feeling.

I completely agree. I frequently monitor the FL Bar Daily News and they have always links the ICA "ethics" stories in the past, for whatever reason they chose not to include this new story.

January 11, 2011 - http://www.floridabar.org/DIVCOM/PI...6f6a8!OpenDocument&Highlight=0,casey,anthony*

January 7, 2011 - http://www.floridabar.org/DIVCOM/PI...45140!OpenDocument&Highlight=0,casey,anthony*

January 4, 2011 - http://www.floridabar.org/DIVCOM/PI...704ab!OpenDocument&Highlight=0,casey,anthony*

I completely agree. I frequently monitor the FL Bar Daily News and they have always links the ICA "ethics" stories in the past, for whatever reason they chose not to include this new story.

January 11, 2011 - http://www.floridabar.org/DIVCOM/PI...6f6a8!OpenDocument&Highlight=0,casey,anthony*

January 7, 2011 - http://www.floridabar.org/DIVCOM/PI...45140!OpenDocument&Highlight=0,casey,anthony*

January 4, 2011 - http://www.floridabar.org/DIVCOM/PI...704ab!OpenDocument&Highlight=0,casey,anthony*

Would they not link it if the Bar Association was investigating it - maybe I am being unclear - would they refrain from linking this latest if it was under investigation - would that qualify it as a hands-off during the investigation?

It might be prudent.....:waitasec:

Would they not link it if the Bar Association was investigating it - maybe I am being unclear - would they refrain from linking this latest if it was under investigation - would that qualify it as a hands-off during the investigation?

It might be prudent.....:waitasec:

Upon further searching on the FL Bar website, it appears they do not report when a complaint is filed, only when an attorney is cleared or punished.

To answer your question, I guess they are hands off during the investigation.

(Respectively snipped for brevity)

As appalling as he is, there are 50 more like him who are worse.

(snipped again)

I never approved of the mob mentality outside of the Anthony home and I don't agree with a mob mentality regarding Baez.

Folks are entitled to file complaints as they choose...I just don't agree with it becoming a group effort. I would hope not to see that here.

Judge Perry is a VERY wise man. These State's Attorney's are educated, experienced, and professional. The system while flawed, is as good as the participants. Caylee is in good hands. The rest of them...are on their own.

Thank you for all the great opinions and thoughts. THis is a wonderful place to discuss and comment.

My TV was on in the background as I read your statement that there are 50 more like Baez. I said to myself, "That is soooooooo unbelievable!" Then I heard a voice on my TV saying, "That is soooooooo unbelievable!" What a coincidence, huh?

BTW, I never approved of the behavior of the mob outside the Anthony's home either. I have no problem with discussing their behavior on message boards, etc., but showing what a jackass one is in front of someone's home does nothing but prove his "class-level" is just as low as those he protests. JMO, of course.

I agree with you. HOWEVER, if the defense goes after Cindy in mitigation, I doubt she will be praising Baez much after that.... :crazy:

Thanks Snaz...
I believe Cindy will do whatever and agree to let the defense do whatever it takes to spare Casey from the DP and, if it works Baez and Casey will have her to thank for it...
But that is just my :twocents::blushing:

Thanks Snaz...
I believe Cindy will do whatever and agree to let the defense do whatever it takes to spare Casey from the DP and, if it works Baez and Casey will have her to thank for it...
But that is just my :twocents::blushing:

Intermezzo, you really think Cindy would take the fall for KC? Hmmmm.... interesting thought.... but I don't know. I kinda think Cindy cares too much about her image of perfect wife and mother to be okay with the defense blaming her for anything KC has done in her life, much less murder her daughter.

I guess I'd have to say, though, that nothing Cindy or George do or say anymore would shock me. But then, every time I say that... they shock me again!

:twocents:

I disagree. The Bar does have an obligation to the public. It's their responsibility to regulate attorneys practicing law within their state. Part of this responsibility is to assure that the attorneys remain current and up to date on current legal cases. This organization has a Professional Responsibilty to assure the standard of practice is maintained by the professionals who represent this organization.

Otherwise our right to effective counsel is mute.

Novice Seeker

I sincerely hope some NON lawyers are weighing in on their decisions in some capacity. Lawyers cannot be trusted to police themselves.

I think it is important to clarify my post for understanding. I respect those opinions that disagree with my perspective, and think it is important to be clear about my point.

I am disgusted by the maneuvers and gamesmanship displayed by this defense team. It is appalling to watch innocent parties paraded as pawns in their effort to save their client. Sadly though...this is VERY common.

I am also disgusted by the "concerned citizens" who inject themselves into the case in order to attain their 15 minutes of fame or as an attempt to parlay that into a future deal.

This is a murder case and as much as I enjoy discussing and sleuthing, I do not enjoy watching folks team up to "report concerns" (or in some cases just plain old tattle) to the agencies that work so hard with limited resources.

Every call to LE, to the SAO, to the attorneys takes time away from the task at hand... prosecuting and defending in this case. As a Fl. taxpayer I most certainly take issue with the financial burden this case places on our State. What I am more concerned with however, is the workload of our LE and SA being bogged down with complaints that are already public record. While the Florida Bar governs it own members, the JAC is charged with the responsibility of processing and dispursing funds for indigent client representation statewide. Recently a JAC employee spoke to my spouse in a social situation. He joked around and said "Hey what about that Jose Baez?". Their response was...something along the lines of we have plenty of them. They did not insult him nor did they really have an opinion In other words...he does NOT stand out. (btw...this person does not have any involvement with approving funds so I am clear)

THe point is....we see JB...we don't see all the many others like him. He is not special. He is not the only one.

Do I for one minute think that the JAC and the Fl. Bar are unaware of the actions of Mr. Baez? Nope! He is most certainly on their radar. They know. We all know.

I concur with the opinion that procedure does not "trump" responsibility. That said, Mr. Baez is an attorney in private practice. He is NOT representative of any government agency. As appalling as he is, there are 50 more like him who are worse.

Take a look at the list of attorneys that have been disbarred recently.

I have both LE AND attoneys of varying degrees in my family. I see both sides. I have said it before.

My comment about allowing the system to work is based upon comments I see on other forums and in news and some here as well. When I see people so disgusted by this defense team talk about joining together to get Baez disbarred..I cringe just a bit.

Disagree. He is in private practice but he functions as an officer of the court, which is a part of the judicial branch of government. My point was that he is in a position of power over people, and we as citizens have the right to question this authority, exercise our free speech and do anything we feel necessary within the law to express concern or disdain over his or any attorneys' misdeeds. He has had three complaints dismissed, which tells me a lot and leads me to suspect a bit of the good ole' boy system at work in all its vulgar glory. I think pressure from the public may be what is needed to raise the bar on what is expected from lawyers.

I personally have no problem with people trying to get him disbarred, as long as it is done honestly and legally. I don't think people should stop questioning authority or make it easy for people like Baez to continue gaming the system in an attempt to loose a child murderer onto society. Yes she is entitled to a fair trial, but I hope everyone is a watch dog when it comes to defense lawyers stepping one millimeter over the line. I personally admire people who came to voice their disgust with the Anthony family. They have a stake in their community and a right to point out how incomprehensibly, scarily bizarre this family has been during this whole mess.moo

IMO, this is comparing apples to oranges. If the attorney accuses Mr. Smith of committing perjury than the attorney must show or prove that Mr. Smith lied. I hope law school doesn't teach attorneys to destroy an innocent bystanders life so that their client could be found innocent.

As to the complaints against JB, the evidence has included documents, sworn statements by more than just on person and media videos that provide evidence that JB did in fact do what he has been accused of. Despite this vast amount of information the Bar had available they take the word of JB. For what ulterior motive would a Judge have in filing a complaint against an attorney, in this case JB? The Judge is held to an even higher standard for the role they play in making sure the trial is fair and the defendents rights are not impeded.

Again in the complaint made by Judge Strickland the Bar determines there is no basis for this complaint and finds for JB. The only thing JB provides against this complaint is his word. And the Bar determines that JB's credibility is more convincing than Judge Strickland and dismisses the complaint. And we're expected to respect and trust this system who has made decisions that have been so absurd, IMO? No thank you.

Novice Seeker

You put it perfectly! And this happened not once but 3 times and nothing has happened. It saddens me that people will trust the Bar to do the right thing. We have to question everything imo.

I sincerely hope some NON lawyers are weighing in on their decisions in some capacity. Lawyers cannot be trusted to police themselves.

http://www.floridabar.org/DIVEXE/BD...13dec9302442ac0485256ea700540637!OpenDocument

[snip] Grievance committees are made up of volunteer members, at least one-third of whom are not lawyers. [snip]

. . . and lots of good info here, too: RULE 3-7.4 GRIEVANCE COMMITTEE PROCEDURES

[snip] (d) Conduct of Proceedings. The proceedings of grievance committees may be informal in nature and the committees shall not be bound by the rules of evidence. [snip]

http://www.floridabar.org/DIVEXE/RRTFB.nsf/FV/BCAF00D51FAE4A2685256BC00066E550

The Bar is not a public organization and have little to no responsibilities to the public. They fall within that same nebulous area of "private special interest group" not unlike the AMA, the ADA, and other professional certifying groups.

The Florida Supreme Court created The Florida Bar as an investigative arm to "enforce the standards of ethical conduct of our lawyers," according to Bar process information Kirksey provided.
Bar complaints, if substantiated, can lead to disciplinary action ranging from suspension to disbarment.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os-jose-baez-bar-complaint-20110202,0,3961011,full.story

Novice Seeker

Totally, totally, totally O/T But I just had to show off my new siggy!! :floorlaugh:

I was thinking disbarment was appropriate for Baez and Mason, now I'm wondering if they should be charged criminally. This is simply inexcusable and is so completely aligned with the pattern of dishonesty and scape-goating they have created - simply disgraceful and beyond belief. Hope the Bar Association is more careful about who they admit.

And yes - I said Mason as well... He seems to think he can sit there and twiddle his thumbs silently as this travesty progresses - but he IS complicit in everything Baez does. I guess patience is needed, as people like Baez and Mason will have their professional come-uppance.

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128687"]Court reporter accuses defense team - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]
Court reporter accuses defense team

I have asked the Mods to move the posts dealing with this complaint to the new thread, If still possible..

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PKBB
Back