Florida's Stand Your Ground Law

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

I just find it fascinating on how FL's SYG works. According to that article, rather than claiming self defense from the start, defendant initially tried to cover up his involvement. Still found not guilty.

"Isenhower argued to jurors that Galvez' attempts to hide evidence — putting Pereza in his car and pushing it across the street, cleaning blood off the driveway, hiding the knife and bloody clothes on top of the house and lying to police about knowing the victim — showed "consciousness of guilt.""

Read more: http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/region...rto-galvez-justified-in-killing#ixzz1vMJvyagx

I'm a newb here, but am a 40 year Florida resident with knowledge of the issues at hand / political evolution and will attempt to add something to the original discussion re SYG and some items on the rest of this thread.... be gentle :)

SYG in Florida is an usually an affirmative defense / pre trial motion and should have had no bearing on any jury finding not guilty... If a DA brings charges for the use of force in self defense, the defendant can move for a dismissal and a Judge decides on the merits if the use was justifiable under the statute. The point being: a DA needs to decide whether or not to incur a Judge's annoyance with being presented with a hot potato in effect. Th second point being: if the DA decides to take that chance / believes they have a very good case... the Judge makes a call. These two issues in practice put some pressure on DA's and Judges to have a very strong argument to deny that defense and thus appears to result in a lot of questionable SYG assertions not going to trial.

The background in Florida regarding SYG was it was intended as a correction of the long term perceived inadequacies of allowed use of force here. Citizens had long felt that they were taking a very serious legal risk (and they were) if they should be presented with a situation threatening their own or someone else's life in a public place.

Pre SYG, as a practical matter:
A person had a duty to retreat from any use of force other than in their homestead or place of business and had no right to defend another if they witnessed a forcible felony. People were frequently charged with manslaughter for using force even when attacked in road rage incidents, shopping disagreements, muggings, etc.... a person sitting in gridlock with someone in the next car over pointing a gun at them had a duty to leave their car and run.... if walking down the street and someone ran at them with a knife, they would have a duty to attempt to outrun the assailant rather than defending themselves.... a friend of mine witnessed an aggravated assault of a homeless man and was powerless to intervene...

If they did use force, even if it was justifiable.... they were frequently the targets of civil liability suits awarding millions to the families of road rage perps and muggers and even rapists.

SYG (with respect to outside one's home), is one paragraph in FSS 776.013, which attempted to fix that: (BTW, there is nothing particularly unique about use law in Florida in comparison to other states)

"(3) A person who is not engaged in an unlawful activity and who is attacked in any other place where he or she has a right to be has no duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground and meet force with force, including deadly force if he or she reasonably believes it is necessary to do so to prevent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony."

if that person gets a SYG motion granted, then they are immune from arrest, prosecution, and civil liability:

"776.032 Immunity from criminal prosecution and civil action for justifiable use of force.—
(1) A person who uses force as permitted in s. 776.012, s. 776.013, or s. 776.031 is justified in using such force and is immune from criminal prosecution and civil action for the use of such force, ...."

So, in practice, someone simply needs to believe they or someone else might get a serious injury and force is OK.

There obviously needs to be some controls implemented on 776.013 and I'm sure that the legislature will do some type of knee jerk thing to gather votes and it will end up more screwed up than before... but I digress :)

Regarding GZ / TM:

If G does a motion for protection under 776.013 (3) (almost certain), he will no doubt assert that he was attacked by T, point out the statements by witnesses that he was mounted by T and being 'ground and pounded', reasonably feared for his life, and that's why he used force.

The key issue, either with the motion or at trial, will be: who started the altercation.

G will say T did.

The State has no person to say otherwise, so they will get the jury to try to buy:
- G expressed a belligerence through his comments on the 911 call
- G disregarded a statement from 911 re: following T "we don't need you to do that'
- that the person yelling for help, in spite of being ID'd initially by Ts father as not T... is actually T.
- that T's face down position and various other perceived inconsistencies amount to a circumstantial case that concludes beyond a reasonable doubt that G started the altercation

the State has a major problem making that stick, but you never know about juries... if the Judge bows to public pressure and denies the SYG motion... it's still a longshot G does time, but you never know... IMO

note: in Florida 'Stalking' is a repeated act.. so by definition this case will not involve stalking....

the State has a major problem making that stick, but you never know about juries... if the Judge bows to public pressure and denies the SYG motion... it's still a longshot G does time, but you never know... IMO

note: in Florida 'Stalking' is a repeated act.. so by definition this case will not involve stalking....
SBM.
Thanks and welcome whateva. I think that the judge will not grant SYG immunity to GZ because of public and political pressure. I think this case will be won or lost during jury selection and not by evidence or lack of evidence presented at trial. JMO.

I think you are right.... 90% plus chance of going to trial and it will 100% hinge on selection .. nobody wants to make that call... but if this was an every day case... 100% chance that there wouldn't have even been an arrest

<snip for brevity>
The key issue, either with the motion or at trial, will be: who started the altercation.

<snip>

I've been looking at the Florida laws for a few days now trying to figure out what Ms. Corey could possibly see in this case. In doing so I also found this:

776.041&#8195;Use of force by aggressor.—The justification described in the preceding sections of this chapter is not available to a person who:
(1)&#8195;Is attempting to commit, committing, or escaping after the commission of, a forcible felony; or
(2)&#8195;Initially provokes the use of force against himself or herself, unless:
(a)&#8195;Such force is so great that the person reasonably believes that he or she is in imminent danger of death or great bodily harm and that he or she has exhausted every reasonable means to escape such danger other than the use of force which is likely to cause death or great bodily harm to the assailant; or
(b)&#8195;In good faith, the person withdraws from physical contact with the assailant and indicates clearly to the assailant that he or she desires to withdraw and terminate the use of force, but the assailant continues or resumes the use of force.
History.—s. 13, ch. 74-383; s. 1190, ch. 97-102.

I'm not saying Mr. Zimmerman initiated the confrontation/assault/etc, but with this law, what are the thoughts?

I've been looking at the Florida laws for a few days now trying to figure out what Ms. Corey could possibly see in this case. In doing so I also found this:

I'm not saying Mr. Zimmerman initiated the confrontation/assault/etc, but with this law, what are the thoughts?

I think it means that, even if you have provoked the use of force against you,(and I think that would necessarily be more than a verbal confrontation unless maybe accompanied by a threat of bodily harm and/or the means to carry it out), you still have the defense so long as the force you have provoked creates a reasonable belief in the provoker that he is in danger of death or great bodily harm. In that case, the provoker can only use deadly force is he has attempted to retreat.

In other words, I think the only difference between SYG and this exception, as applied in this case, would create a duty to retreat prior to using deadly force. And, as you say, all of that requires that George be the aggressor. jmo

I think it means that, even if you have provoked the use of force against you,(and I think that would necessarily be more than a verbal confrontation unless maybe accompanied by a threat of bodily harm and/or the means to carry it out), you still have the defense so long as the force you have provoked creastes a reasonable belief in the provoker that he is in danger of death or great bodily harm. In that case, the provoker can only use deadly force is he has attempted to retreat.

In other words, I think the only difference between SYG and this exception, as applied in this case, would create a duty to retreat prior to using deadly force. And, as you say, all of that requires that George be the aggressor. jmo

Yeah, my main point for showing it was to say that even if Mr. Zimmerman -did- initiate the confrontation, he still has the right to defend himself and use deadly force if the situation calls for it. If we were to give in to the baseless argument that Mr. Zimmerman confronted Mr. Martin the proof needed would be that Mr. Zimmerman didn't try to escape. With the information we know from witnesses - specifically one stating Mr. Zimmerman was calling to him for help - how can we say that Mr. Zimmerman did not try to escape before using deadly force, again, IF we give in to the opinion that Mr. Zimmerman confronted/etc. I think the lack of defensive wounds on Mr. Martin would point at this also - Mr. Zimmerman didn't want to fight, he wanted to get away from the person who was beating him.

Yeah, my main point for showing it was to say that even if Mr. Zimmerman -did- initiate the confrontation, he still has the right to defend himself and use deadly force if the situation calls for it. If we were to give in to the baseless argument that Mr. Zimmerman confronted Mr. Martin the proof needed would be that Mr. Zimmerman didn't try to escape. With the information we know from witnesses - specifically one stating Mr. Zimmerman was calling to him for help - how can we say that Mr. Zimmerman did not try to escape before using deadly force, again, IF we give in to the opinion that Mr. Zimmerman confronted/etc.

Agreed. Retreat would have to have been reasonably possible, imo. The amount of time the physical altercation took and the eyewitness testimony supports (strongly, imo) that it was not -- regardless of whether George can somehow be deemed to have been the aggressor. And also, imo, following someone and asking them what they are doing there, would not be sufficient provocation to a physical assualt.

776.041&#8195;Use of force by aggressor.&#8212;The justification described in the preceding sections of this chapter is not available to a person who:
(1)&#8195;Is attempting to commit, committing, or escaping after the commission of, a forcible felony; or
(2)&#8195;Initially provokes the use of force against himself or herself, unless:
(a)&#8195;Such force is so great that the person reasonably believes that he or she is in imminent danger of death or great bodily harm and that he or she has exhausted every reasonable means to escape such danger other than the use of force which is likely to cause death or great bodily harm to the assailant; or
(b)&#8195;In good faith, the person withdraws from physical contact with the assailant and indicates clearly to the assailant that he or she desires to withdraw and terminate the use of force, but the assailant continues or resumes the use of force.

the purpose of this was to eliminate prosecutions for a guy A slaps guy B, B starts beating A to death and A kills B, A is denied SYG.

I believe it will still boil down to: did G start the altercation?.... If it's proved that G did initiate, then 776.041 puts him in the position of having to assert that T was using sufficient force to cause great bodily harm or death AND that he had exhausted all means of escape as opposed to the very different notion in SYG of simply having a reasonable fear...

In front of whatever jury, G doesn't want to have any more obstacles .... and this one could put him on the defensive to a much greater degree.

Don't care how many pages the law is or what it says.. it's just giving a *** with a gun another reason to kill someone IMO... "self defense" should be enough... if I kill someone i should HAVE to be interrogated and an investigation SHOULD be done.. if I'm innocent.. I will be found innocent.. NO ONE should WALK when they kill another human being.. Makes it WAY too easy to kill just to kill as we have seen...IMO......

the purpose of this was to eliminate prosecutions for a guy A slaps guy B, B starts beating A to death and A kills B, A is denied SYG.

I believe it will still boil down to: did G start the altercation?.... If it's proved that G did initiate, then 776.041 puts him in the position of having to PROVE that T was using sufficient force to IMMINENTLY cause great bodily harm or death AND that he had exhausted all means of escape.

SYG simply requires the reasonable belief, not the imminent death or great bodily injury...

That much higher standard, if it comes to play, will be a very ominous development for G.... if I were him and that happened I'd start thinking plea or appeal....

According to the quoted law, the person would only need to prove "reasonable belief" in this scenario also.

According to the quoted law, the person would only need to prove "reasonable belief" in this scenario also.

This case aside.. do you not find this in the least bit disconcerting??? Reasonable belief of imminent danger can cause the death of another human being????

True Story.. my landlord texted me and called me tonight and I didn't get either until now (almost 1 AM) she said she and her father are coming tomorrow to check the A/C.. I don't like my landlord (true story) and she has made me go thru alot of sh^T just to keep my son and myself comfortable...
If I hear them come in my home i will shoot them dead and claim SYG!! (WooHoo SYG!!) Do you see what a nonsense law this is???

True Story.. my landlord texted me and called me tonight and I didn't get either until now (almost 1 AM) she said she and her father are coming tomorrow to check the A/C.. I don't like my landlord (true story) and she has made me go thru alot of sh^T just to keep my son and myself comfortable...
If I hear them come in my home i will shoot them dead and claim SYG!! (WooHoo SYG!!) Do you see what a nonsense law this is???

you wouldn't qualify for SYG as they own the property and are legally entering after notice... so you can't establish a home defense presumption of forcible felony... see you in 40 years.....

you wouldn't qualify for SYG as they own the property and are legally entering after notice... so you can't establish a home defense presumption of forcible felony... see you in 40 years.....

They have to give notice and I have NOT constructively received it (I'm telling YOU I saw the text but I can claim I never got their text or call ) Notice according to my lease is 48 hours....
According to SYG.. I'll see YOU right after the cops let me go... I thought someone was breaking into MY home (whether it's rented or not) so i shot them..

PERFECT way to get rid of my much hated landlords and stay here rent free for awhile...

you believe SYG is going to allow you to walk after you kill a guy with a key and the right to enter your premise, but your constructive notice wasn't properly received?

"776.013&#8195;Home protection; use of deadly force; presumption of fear of death or great bodily harm.—
(1)&#8195;A person is presumed to have held a reasonable fear of imminent peril of death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another when using defensive force that is intended or likely to cause death or great bodily harm to another if:
(a)&#8195;The person against whom the defensive force was used was in the process of unlawfully and forcefully entering, or had unlawfully and forcibly entered, a dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle,...."

he might be technically unlawfully entering, but it sure isn't forcible....

actually, probably never see you again...

there are definitely deficiencies in the current law but I would add that Florida's law isn't significantly different than most others.... so the SYG attacks should be properly focused as to eliminate abuse of it by gangs on the street etc. that have abused it..... nationwide....

you believe SYG is going to allow you to walk after you kill a guy with a key and the right to enter your premise, but your constructive notice wasn't properly received?

"776.013&#8195;Home protection; use of deadly force; presumption of fear of death or great bodily harm.—
(1)&#8195;A person is presumed to have held a reasonable fear of imminent peril of death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another when using defensive force that is intended or likely to cause death or great bodily harm to another if:
(a)&#8195;The person against whom the defensive force was used was in the process of unlawfully and forcefully entering, or had unlawfully and forcibly entered, a dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle,...."

he might be technically unlawfully entering, but it sure isn't forcible....

actually, probably never see you again...

there are definitely deficiencies in the current law but I would add that Florida's law isn't significantly different than most others.... so the SYG attacks should be properly focused as to eliminate abuse of it by gangs on the street etc. that have abused it..... nationwide....

Well, the way i read that... I'm allowed to kill whomever enters my home unannounced BUT if not..
How on God's green earth does this make sense to you?? You're just proving that the law makes NO sense whatsoever!!! If I have a gun and I hear someone walking in my door and I'm lying in bed naked asleep.. should i NOT have the right to protect myself?? Come ON!! All you're proving to me is that this law makes NO sense at ALL....
OR you're proving that the law is based on the interpretation of the murderer which will be deadly for lots of people...

As to some of the issues with the SYG law in GZ's case, following are 2 links I found interesting, one to an article dated today quoting legal experts, and the other a HP opinion piece from yesterday, w/excerpts from each (BBM):

From Catherine Crier, a legal analyst and former district court judge in Texas, on provisions that could prove problematic for Zimmerman's defense:

"There's an interesting provision right at the end of the statute [that says] you can't use 'Stand Your Ground' if you initially provoke the use of force, unless that person is coming at you with such great force that you really are fearful for your life, and you've exhausted every other means of escape other than force," Crier says. "And you can't use it unless you withdraw [from the situation], or indicate clearly that you want to withdraw, and that other person continues to use force that could cause serious bodily harm or death."

"You're telling me that George Zimmerman -- armed -- has a gun, and he is terrified that Trayvon Martin is going to get him, and he has really tried to run?" Crier asks. "All you've got to do is pull that gun and say, 'hey, I'm walking away from this.' Show's over."

AND

[URL="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/andy-o...50.html?ref=tw"

"Ever since this story hit the press I've been mortified about how Trayvon has been vilified as the aggressor when all evidence points to him being the one who desperately needed to exercise his state's Draconian 'Stand Your Ground' law. For the life of me I don't understand why the media has not explored this angle more than it has....

"...What exactly does 'stand your ground' mean if not to fight like an animal to save your life when you believe it's being threatened with deadly force?Why does the fact that Zimmerman suffered wounds serve as evidence that Trayvon initiated the scuffle? To the contrary, Zimmerman's wounds reinforce that the kid bravely came at his attacker with everything he had. That after screaming for help seventeen times in a desolate area he fought furiously to save himself from being shot dead...something he unfortunately failed to do. Why is no one talking about how it was Trayvon who 'stood his ground?' Why does it seem that this law is only being discussed as it applies to Zimmerman?

As for Zimmerman's claim of self-defense? ********. That defense went out the window the second he stepped from his locked car with a loaded semi-automatic weapon."

From Catherine Crier, a legal analyst and former district court judge in Texas, on provisions that could prove problematic for Zimmerman's defense:

"There's an interesting provision right at the end of the statute [that says] you can't use 'Stand Your Ground' if you initially provoke the use of force, unless that person is coming at you with such great force that you really are fearful for your life, and you've exhausted every other means of escape other than force," Crier says. "And you can't use it unless you withdraw [from the situation], or indicate clearly that you want to withdraw, and that other person continues to use force that could cause serious bodily harm or death."

<snip>

There is no such line at the end of 776.012. This is her interpretation of 776.041, which we discussed above. The underline is unfounded as it's not stated that the person has to COME AT YOU with such force - and considering 776.041 is regarding the AGGRESSOR, it'd be silly to state as much. 776.041 is posted up thread to compare. You'd think a "legal analyst" would be able to differentiate the statutes.

<snip>
Why is no one talking about how it was Trayvon who 'stood his ground?' Why does it seem that this law is only being discussed as it applies to Zimmerman?

The full quote was too ridiculous to care about, so I snipped the important part - a question that has been answered MANY times on this forum. As per 776.012 Mr. Martin's DUTY was to retreat UNLESS he felt his life was in danger, or had fear of great bodily harm. Neither of these would be obvious to a reasonable person when given the scenario of being "followed" alone. I'll quote the statute and bold the important parts for you. I'll also underline the part that says his duty is to retreat.

776.012&#8195;Use of force in defense of person.&#8212;A person is justified in using force, except deadly force, against another when and to the extent that the person reasonably believes that such conduct is necessary to defend himself or herself or another against the other&#8217;s imminent use of unlawful force. However, a person is justified in the use of deadly force and does not have a duty to retreat if:
(1)&#8195;He or she reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony
; or
(2)&#8195;Under those circumstances permitted pursuant to s. 776.013.

The above IS 776.012 in it's entirety according to http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0700-0799/0776/0776.html
Clearly the line the "legal analyst" was speaking of is not there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214