Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, after a few days in the horsepital.... yes, that is the silly name we use for the word hospital, I am home and doing fine. Altho, I am on restriction, no activities. So no standing for a long time cooking, no terrorizing the neighborhood on my trike. In other words, I have to behave myself. LOL!

So instead of going to a food pickup or produce pickup, my oldest went to the Caribbean BBQ Truck in Sarasota. I would not normally eat from what I refer to as a "roach coach" but it has always had great reviews. I got pulled pork which came on a big bun and it was delicious. That was all I could eat because they gave me so much food! We purposely got 4 side dishes so I don't have to cook.

Cuban rice which is essentially white rice with what appears to be mashed black beans, very tasty.
Red beans and rice - they were ok but rather bland for what I would think they would be. I guess I'm used to seeing kielbasa in them with a little Cajun flavor.
Baked beans with pork in them - these were sooooo good.
Green beans with pork in them - these were very good too.

Now, I'm at the cancer center for treatment today. I'm ready to crawl in my chair, get a warm blanket and nap! My daughter came with me today since it is such a long day.

Well, after a few days in the horsepital.... yes, that is the silly name we use for the word hospital, I am home and doing fine. Altho, I am on restriction, no activities. So no standing for a long time cooking, no terrorizing the neighborhood on my trike. In other words, I have to behave myself. LOL!

So instead of going to a food pickup or produce pickup, my oldest went to the Caribbean BBQ Truck in Sarasota. I would not normally eat from what I refer to as a "roach coach" but it has always had great reviews. I got pulled pork which came on a big bun and it was delicious. That was all I could eat because they gave me so much food! We purposely got 4 side dishes so I don't have to cook.

Cuban rice which is essentially white rice with what appears to be mashed black beans, very tasty.
Red beans and rice - they were ok but rather bland for what I would think they would be. I guess I'm used to seeing kielbasa in them with a little Cajun flavor.

Now, I'm at the cancer center for treatment today. I'm ready to crawl in my chair, get a warm blanket and nap! My daughter came with me today since it is such a long day.

I'm sorry to hear about your stay in what we used to call "the horsepistol." I never heard of "roach coach," but now I won't forget that. ;)

I'm glad your daughter is with you today. Praying for you!

Thinking of you over the pond, I hope you are ok.

And roach-coach is about to enter the Queen's English, absolute classic

Back home, rested but couldn't sleep, stooopid steriods. Now to solve my metal mouth...... so far I've tried ice water, 2 Hershey Kisses, 1 little box of YooHoo Chocolate drink, a few Kettle Cooked Mesquite BBQ chips, a few Kettle Cooked Original chips...... they were on sale so I figured I'd try them...... hellava menu eh? I think I hit all the important food groups. I'm not even hungry but let me go see what else I can find to pick at.

You like roach coach? Years ago we called the nasty food trucks that. It was crappy food, disgusting looking trucks and none of us would be caught dead eating from one. The health dept I don't think took them too seriously at first. My kids generation tho thinks they're all the rage. One of their friends had their wedding at a brewery with food trucks. I guess they've evolved.

Food trucks are roach coaches no longer. Now they have gone gourmet, with social media presence and large groups of followers.

Where I live, on the first weekend of the month there is a food truck corral, where a couple dozen of them gather in a gated area, and customers have to purchase tickets just to be admitted to the area. Then you go from truck to truck and purchase your food.

You might buy your appetizers at one truck, main course at another truck. Sides from another, and several trucks specialize in desserts.

Then there are groupings of tables where you can eat your meals.

This is especially popular with groups of friends, who can each visit different trucks to collect varieties of food items then sit down to eat together and share.

The tickets for these popular food truck events actually sell out.

I went one time, a few years ago, when a friend gave me a ticket and convinced me to go. I was totally underwhelmed. You have to stand in line at the food truck to place your order and pay, then go back and pick it up when your name is called.

By the time you pick up your food from a few different trucks, you are juggling boxes of food while you walk around looking for a table. By the time you sit down your food is lukewarm or cold.

The next time I was invited to go I politely declined.

Food trucks are roach coaches no longer. Now they have gone gourmet, with social media presence and large groups of followers.

Where I live, on the first weekend of the month there is a food truck corral, where a couple dozen of them gather in a gated area, and customers have to purchase tickets just to be admitted to the area. Then you go from truck to truck and purchase your food.

You might buy your appetizers at one truck, main course at another truck. Sides from another, and several trucks specialize in desserts.

Then there are groupings of tables where you can eat your meals.

This is especially popular with groups of friends, who can each visit different trucks to collect varieties of food items then sit down to eat together and share.

The tickets for these popular food truck events actually sell out.

I went one time, a few years ago, when a friend gave me a ticket and convinced me to go. I was totally underwhelmed. You have to stand in line at the food truck to place your order and pay, then go back and pick it up when your name is called.

By the time you pick up your food from a few different trucks, you are juggling boxes of food while you walk around looking for a table. By the time you sit down your food is lukewarm or cold.

The next time I was invited to go I politely declined.
I’ve noticed food truck events being set up in the neighborhood next to mine. The houses are on 5-10 acres each. They use it as a Friday night social. People bring lawn chairs I guess and hang out. It isn’t so formal or big which is probably why it’s appealing.

The company I used to work for would bring one truck at a time as an employee appreciation thing. Sometimes it was pizza, sometimes ice cream. They’d have the blood mobile at the same time.

DH and I went to Nino's yesterday and divided up the list so we could limit our time there. Neither of us got the tortillas that I need to make enchiladas tonight :oops: DH is going for his swim later this morning and will stop at Nino's afterwards to get tortillas and a few items that are featured on this week's specials.

Metro-Detroit has never had many food trucks, but DH and I have come across them in our travels in California, New York, Washington, D.C., Seattle, Toronto. We also enjoy Food Network's reality show The Great Food Truck Race that provides an inside look at how food trucks operate. Interesting, really. Before the pandemic, some neighbors had a food truck for two of their children's graduations (high school, 8th grade). A bright green Wahlburger's truck was parked in their driveway for several hours. Wahlburgers Michigan Food Truck - Detroit - Roaming Hunger

Happy Cinco de Mayo!

Today’s produce pick up was big and included a box of dry goods too.

It must be avocado season? I know my oldest loves them but she’s on a boat until Friday. I think my youngest eats guacamole. But she has a final exam tomorrow. I’m going with the most likely solution of “How to Make Guacamole” online. Feel free to toss me ideas!

I noticed one bag had yellow mangoes. Off I went to find rubber gloves, dropped them in a baggie and sealed them up. Then took all the other fruit in the bag, washed it and set it on paper towels to dry. Tossed the bag then removed the gloves and tossed them. I will have wear new gloves and peel everything else as a precaution.

I washed up the blackberries because some had mold. But I was able to salvage about half. My kiddo will enjoy those in her Greek yogurt. She’s so tickled to be able to have dairy again.

I washed up the asparagus and chopped off about 1 1/2” off the stalks. I wasn’t sure if it was starting to spoil or not. I rarely eat it but I’m thinking of doing a big pan of roasted veggies. I saw some at the cancer center cafeteria yesterday. They looked so good. Someone here told me to peel the thick part of the stalk so I will do that.

I will rehome the mushrooms and maybe the tomatillos if my kiddo doesn’t want to make salsa.

The bananas are black but firm. Maybe bake some muffins tomorrow morning to go with my tea.

I’m still on activity restriction but I can sit at the kitchen bar and chop veggies!

Attachments

• 6E479C90-E577-4565-AB10-D252253898F4.jpeg
    6E479C90-E577-4565-AB10-D252253898F4.jpeg
    132.1 KB · Views: 25
Today’s produce pick up was big and included a box of dry goods too.

It must be avocado season? I know my oldest loves them but she’s on a boat until Friday. I think my youngest eats guacamole. But she has a final exam tomorrow. I’m going with the most likely solution of “How to Make Guacamole” online. Feel free to toss me ideas!

I noticed one bag had yellow mangoes. Off I went to find rubber gloves, dropped them in a baggie and sealed them up. Then took all the other fruit in the bag, washed it and set it on paper towels to dry. Tossed the bag then removed the gloves and tossed them. I will have wear new gloves and peel everything else as a precaution.

I washed up the blackberries because some had mold. But I was able to salvage about half. My kiddo will enjoy those in her Greek yogurt. She’s so tickled to be able to have dairy again.

I washed up the asparagus and chopped off about 1 1/2” off the stalks. I wasn’t sure if it was starting to spoil or not. I rarely eat it but I’m thinking of doing a big pan of roasted veggies. I saw some at the cancer center cafeteria yesterday. They looked so good. Someone here told me to peel the thick part of the stalk so I will do that.

I will rehome the mushrooms and maybe the tomatillos if my kiddo doesn’t want to make salsa.

The bananas are black but firm. Maybe bake some muffins tomorrow morning to go with my tea.

I’m still on activity restriction but I can sit at the kitchen bar and chop veggies!
Because I only do grocery delivery about once every three weeks I have had to learn to freeze my avocados and LOVE the results! I use the mashed method using lemon juice, which I put in my guacamole anyway. Leave it chunky, put it in a ziploc bag, flattened as much as you can, and freeze. I can then break off the exact amount I want and it defrosts very quickly. This way you can preserve your avocados at the peak of perfection without them getting overripe. I use it for guacamole, or spread it on bacon and tomato sandwiches, make California omelets - whatever makes you happy! How to Freeze California Avocados | California Avocados

Because I only do grocery delivery about once every three weeks I have had to learn to freeze my avocados and LOVE the results! I use the mashed method using lemon juice, which I put in my guacamole anyway. Leave it chunky, put it in a ziploc bag, flattened as much as you can, and freeze. I can then break off the exact amount I want and it defrosts very quickly. This way you can preserve your avocados at the peak of perfection without them getting overripe. I use it for guacamole, or spread it on bacon and tomato sandwiches, make California omelets - whatever makes you happy! How to Freeze California Avocados | California Avocados
I was reading earlier how to make guacamole and realized I didn’t have the ingredients. So then I happened upon freezing them. But I was wondering what that would turn out like. Thanks for confirming they’ll still be usable. Do you make guacamole with it after it’s been frozen?

Avocados tend to be pricy here, too. We got one on Tuesday and used half to garnish our enchiladas last night and had the other half with scrambled eggs this morning.
We have a grocery store chain here called Fresh Thyme, and they nearly always feature avocados 2 for a dollar. Organic avocados are 2 for $3. It’s a small store that features fresh produce.

I pass this store on my way to work, and I often run in just to grab avocados.

I can make a meal on an avocado. A couple of slices of whole grain or sourdough bread, sliced avocado, sliced red onion and/or tomato if I have it. A little hummus or mayo and sprinkle of cracked pepper.

Food trucks return to downtown Detroit Friday (detroitnews.com)

Tacos, barbecue, seafood and more are on the menu as food trucks return to downtown Detroit parks Friday.

The annual season for Downtown Street Eats will see popular local food trucks and trailers parked at Cadillac Square and the Woodward Esplanade, both near Campus Martius. More trucks may expand to other downtown parks this season...

We have a grocery store chain here called Fresh Thyme, and they nearly always feature avocados 2 for a dollar. Organic avocados are 2 for $3. It’s a small store that features fresh produce.

I pass this store on my way to work, and I often run in just to grab avocados.

I can make a meal on an avocado. A couple of slices of whole grain or sourdough bread, sliced avocado, sliced red onion and/or tomato if I have it. A little hummus or mayo and sprinkle of cracked pepper.

Fresh Thyme opened here about five years ago. We went once in the first week or two that the store opened and never went back. Prices were ridiculous, i.e. fruits and vegetables priced individually instead of by the pound. Produce didn't look good and was in no way comparable to the quality of Nino Salvaggio's or even Meijer.

I'm a big fan of avocado toast, with or without an egg :)

Fresh Thyme opened here about five years ago. We went once in the first week or two that the store opened and never went back. Prices were ridiculous, i.e. fruits and vegetables priced individually instead of by the pound. Produce didn't look good and was in no way comparable to the quality of Nino Salvaggio's or even Meijer.

I'm a big fan of avocado toast, with or without an egg :)
Our Fresh Thyme location has good quality fresh produce at excellent prices. But the limited amount of canned goods, frozen food and meat are expensive. In season they sell local produce.

We don’t eat meat, and seldom use canned goods or frozen food so it suits our needs.

They have a large gluten free section and I pick up groceries for an elderly couple who eats GF so I get their groceries there.

But my favorite thing is the 50 cent avocados. I’d stop by just for avocados.

Our Fresh Thyme location has good quality fresh produce at excellent prices. But the limited amount of canned goods, frozen food and meat are expensive. In season they sell local produce.

We don’t eat meat, and seldom use canned goods or frozen food so it suits our needs.

They have a large gluten free section and I pick up groceries for an elderly couple who eats GF so I get their groceries there.

But my favorite thing is the 50 cent avocados. I’d stop by just for avocados.

I did some research on Fresh Thyme, and it appears to be franchised. The chain is headquartered in Downer's Grove, IL with stores in several states. You mentioned that your store is small, whereas the location in Rochester Hills that we went to once is huge. Fresh Thyme took over the former Papa Joe's Gourmet Market, and we didn't like the layout or the way that produce was displayed, i.e. bananas in wooden crates, melons in large boxes on the floor. It wasn't pretty.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member