Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I did some research on Fresh Thyme, and it appears to be franchised. The chain is headquartered in Downer's Grove, IL with stores in several states. You mentioned that your store is small, whereas the location in Rochester Hills that we went to once is huge. Fresh Thyme took over the former Papa Joe's Gourmet Market, and we didn't like the layout or the way that produce was displayed, i.e. bananas in wooden crates, melons in large boxes on the floor. It wasn't pretty.
Interesting. All the Fresh Thyme locations I have been to are small, and none are takeovers from other stores. That probably makes a difference.

Bananas displayed in wooden crates always freak me out. It goes back to an elementary school reading class where one of our read aloud stories was about a tarantula that was in a wooden banana crate display in a grocery store.

The story featured a picture of someone reaching for a bunch of bananas and the tarantula came scurrying out.

To this day I think of that story and picture when I see bananas displayed in wooden crates in a store.

Bananas displayed in wooden crates always freak me out. It goes back to an elementary school reading class where one of our read aloud stories was about a tarantula that was in a wooden banana crate display in a grocery store.

The story featured a picture of someone reaching for a bunch of bananas and the tarantula came scurrying out.

To this day I think of that story and picture when I see bananas displayed in wooden crates in a store.
When I was 9 we had family friends that lived way out in the middle of nowhere. For some reason all us kids were told to climb in the back of the pick up truck to go somewhere. I refused to get in because there was a “banana spider” in the corner of the truck. He was bigger than a man’s hand. Scared the daylights out of me. As an adult, I’m not really afraid of bugs but that episode stayed with me for years!

When I was 9 we had family friends that lived way out in the middle of nowhere. For some reason all us kids were told to climb in the back of the pick up truck to go somewhere. I refused to get in because there was a “banana spider” in the corner of the truck. He was bigger than a man’s hand. Scared the daylights out of me. As an adult, I’m not really afraid of bugs but that episode stayed with me for years!

I hope someone evicted the spider from the truck!!

I hope someone evicted the spider from the truck!!
Oh yeah my step dad got a broom and swept him out. LOL! It was in the corner up by the cab. I finally sat way back by the tailgate. I’ve never seen a spider like that again. It had fluorescent spots on its legs.

We do have big wolf spiders here in FL but not normally in your house or cars. They eat roaches so nobody kills them. They aren’t as big tho as that banana spider.

Well the avocados are still sitting out there waiting on me. I had a bad reaction to a new med and haven’t been able to do anything. Right now I’m too weak and dehydrated. Sigh. My youngest finished her final exam. She’s out there cleaning up so maybe in the morning, I’ll be up to working on food.

Well the avocados are still sitting out there waiting on me. I had a bad reaction to a new med and haven’t been able to do anything. Right now I’m too weak and dehydrated. Sigh. My youngest finished her final exam. She’s out there cleaning up so maybe in the morning, I’ll be up to working on food.

Oh no, I'm so sorry. I hope you will be feeling better soon.

I was reading earlier how to make guacamole and realized I didn’t have the ingredients. So then I happened upon freezing them. But I was wondering what that would turn out like. Thanks for confirming they’ll still be usable. Do you make guacamole with it after it’s been frozen?
I have only tried the chunky mashed method when freezing, but after defrosting I cannot even tell they were frozen. I only thaw them when I am ready to use. Yes, I just recently made guacamole with them. It came out well.

I woke up at 1:30am and there was guacamole in the fridge, the kitchen was clean, dishwasher had been run and a load of laundry washed. I never heard a thing and my bedroom door was open. LOL!! This is what happens after your kiddo finishes her final exam then drinks 2 beers I guess? Ha! Whatever, now that I feel so much better, I'm going to shower, go buy a beach chair, then come back and roast a boatload of veggies!

DH and I went on a shore excursion during a port call in Costa Rica. The tour included a banana plantation, rum factory, and rainforest cruise. When we disembarked the bus at the banana plantation, I could see dozens of furry spiders crawling around the wooden crates. Several passengers walked right up to the crates for banana samples, but DH and I hung back and viewed the banana crates from a distance; we've had bananas before :D We were fine with sampling rum later in the tour, and the rain forest cruise was amazing. That particular cruise went through the Panama Canal - truly a fascinating experience, and worth getting up at 5:00AM so we didn't miss anything.

Last edited:
I just finished assembling my first pasta salad of the season. It will be a nice accompaniment to swordfish. Nino's is featuring NY strip steaks this week, so DH got two for Mother's Day. If it's not too hot, we'll have baked or roasted potatoes as a side. We avoid using the oven during the summer as it seems to make the entire house warm. I've been making the same pasta salad for years and don't recall where I got the recipe. The salad has blanched broccoli florettes, grape tomatoes, black olives, quartered artichokes, chick peas, a pound of cooked pasta, salt and pepper, bottled Italian dressing. As a main course, I add cubed salami and mozzarella.

I just finished assembling my first pasta salad of the season. It will be a nice accompaniment to swordfish. Nino's is featuring NY strip steaks this week, so DH got two for Mother's Day. If it's not too hot, we'll have baked or roasted potatoes as a side. We avoid using the oven during the summer as it seems to make the entire house warm. I've been making the same pasta salad for years and don't recall where I got the recipe. The salad has blanched broccoli florettes, grape tomatoes, black olives, quartered artichokes, chick peas, a pound of cooked pasta, salt and pepper, bottled Italian dressing. As a main course, I add cubed salami and mozzarella.
That sounds delicious.

That sounds tasty minus the cold pasta. I can’t get that down.

Unfortunately, many of my veggies spoiled from last week and the asparagus from this week (2 days ago) spoiled too. But, I do have red potatoes, carrots, onion and garlic roasting. I put real butter, olive oil, pepper, Maine SeaSalt mix and Rosemary in them. It smells good!

I don’t know what I’ll have with my veggies yet. I’m tired of pasta and rice.

That sounds tasty minus the cold pasta. I can’t get that down.

I'm sure all the ingredients would work just as well in a hot pasta dish. I don't mind cold pasta with a vinaigrette-type dressing, but I won't eat any pasta salad with a creamy dressing. I also don't like potato salads with mayo-type dressing. I won't eat creamy cole slaw, but the shredded veggies with vinaigrette is fine. Macaroni and potato salads were quite popular in the 50s and 60s, and I wouldn't eat them. Never cared for cole slaw, either. Yuck!

My favorite cold pasta salad is try-color rotini, red and green bell pepper, red onion, Colby jack cubes and Italian dressing. I am so basic LOL

Thanks to you all, I tried foil packets in the oven and WE LOVE THEM! I use smoked sausage, red potato, onion, red bell, zucchini and summer squash.

Also thanks to you guys I am going to try sheet roasting veggies for the first time this weekend along with some chicken. Gonna do red potatoes, onion, carrot and zucchini.

Happy Mother's Day! I am SO excited to finally be able to see my kids! Planning a barbecue, but the weather has been unseasonably cold...

Looks like grilled cheese and roasted red pepper tomato soup for dinner here tonight.

So happy that you'll have your family with you on Mother's Day! After 80+ degrees a couple of days when we actually ran the A/C, the furnace is back on, and it's only been in the upper 50s during the day. Enjoy your BBQ :)

So happy that you'll have your family with you on Mother's Day! After 80+ degrees a couple of days when we actually ran the A/C, the furnace is back on, and it's only been in the upper 50s during the day. Enjoy your BBQ :)

Thank you. And you have a Happy Mother's Day. I think that the barbecue will be inside. Too chilly outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper