Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Make a fire pit as part of your BBQ plans. Then roast marshmallows or hotdogs. A circle of lawn chairs, stack of quilts, hot cider, coffee, etc. Let me know what time so I can join in.... LOL!!

I can join in on the BBQ too, please call me when it's ready. :)

Hope all here had a fantastic Mother's Day!

I love frittatas and make them frequently. Eggs, cheese, veggies, leftover meats - you can add just about anything, and a frittata will be delicious.

There was a frittata carbonara with balsamic asparagus recipe in the newspaper recently (it's in The Washington Post) that I adapted for the two of us for breakfast. I didn't write down the exact amounts I used, but it was something like this (I skipped the asparagus):

2 slices bacon, cut up in 1/2" pieces, cooked in nonstick skillet
5 medium eggs
1/4 cup half and half
Salt and pepper
Parmesan cheese

I whisked the eggs, half and half, and seasonings and added the parmesan and bacon to the mixture. Put the mixture back in the skillet (I poured off part of the bacon grease first) and cooked it like an omelet. So my version wasn't really a frittata, but whatever--it was really good!

If I made the full recipe for more people, I would cook it for 5 min on top of the stove, then bake it (per recipe). If I did this for dinner, I'd bake asparagus along with the frittata.

After yet another doctor appointment, with a diagnosis that made me mad, I went to Morton’s Gourmet Market to soothe my anger. I found something I’d never had. Dauphinoise Potatoes. O. M. G. Best $5 per piece ever. I must learn to make this!!

https://www.thekitchn.com/dauphinoise-potatoes-recipe-23009449

Attachments

• A9BF9A8F-A295-45EA-890E-578A8BE33CEC.jpeg
    A9BF9A8F-A295-45EA-890E-578A8BE33CEC.jpeg
    99 KB · Views: 51
  • EA16C63F-DC94-421A-9248-74FDD4030C2E.jpeg
    EA16C63F-DC94-421A-9248-74FDD4030C2E.jpeg
    122.6 KB · Views: 48
@PayrollNerd, that looks like some excellent comfort food. Sorry about the diagnosis.

I made pasta salad the other day, had some leftover roasted asparagus, tossed it in. Absolutely delicious. I don't know why I never thought about putting asparagus in a pasta salad before.

I usually check the meat counter for meat that is reduced, I don't eat much anyway. Well, I bought these "Eye of Round Steaks" for 50% off. I read about them, seemed like they might be a bit tough,so I cooked them in the crockpot, shredded them for enchiladas. Super yummy!

@PayrollNerd, that looks like some excellent comfort food. Sorry about the diagnosis.

I made pasta salad the other day, had some leftover roasted asparagus, tossed it in. Absolutely delicious. I don't know why I never thought about putting asparagus in a pasta salad before.

I usually check the meat counter for meat that is reduced, I don't eat much anyway. Well, I bought these "Eye of Round Steaks" for 50% off. I read about them, seemed like they might be a bit tough,so I cooked them in the crockpot, shredded them for enchiladas. Super yummy!

Sounds good. I was thinking you were a vegetarian? Maybe just mostly vegetarian. :)

I've been making green salads for lunch with cut-up slices of cheese and ham in them. It's a low-carb alternative to making a ham and cheese sandwich.

Now if I could turn off my sweet tooth. :rolleyes:

Sounds good. I was thinking you were a vegetarian? Maybe just mostly vegetarian. :)

I've been making green salads for lunch with cut-up slices of cheese and ham in them. It's a low-carb alternative to making a ham and cheese sandwich.

Now if I could turn off my sweet tooth. :rolleyes:

I am mostly vegan/vegetarian. But I guess I am flexible, because my husband likes meat, he doesn't get it very often. He doesn't know that HE is going vegetarian. Or rather, he knows it, but it is not by choice.

But, when I see meat that is reduced, I will buy it. Especially when my kids are coming over, they love enchiladas.

After yet another doctor appointment, with a diagnosis that made me mad, I went to Morton’s Gourmet Market to soothe my anger. I found something I’d never had. Dauphinoise Potatoes. O. M. G. Best $5 per piece ever. I must learn to make this!!

Oh also at Morton's I picked up dessert for my & my kiddo. Every time I get some dumb diagnosis I apologize to my kids. LOL! I try to redeem myself in some way too. It was 2 gluten free cupcakes for her. They were so pretty!

To assuage my anger for me was a box of 3 desserts. I don't make stuff for me anymore because I just waste it. I eat one or two pieces and end up tossing the rest. My box has an eclair, a brownie and lemon square. Last night I had a few bites off each. So yummy. Totally admit I'm eating my feelings.....

Attachments

• E522E77C-5372-46CB-A520-3D0AFA3A2DE0.jpeg
    E522E77C-5372-46CB-A520-3D0AFA3A2DE0.jpeg
    92.5 KB · Views: 12
  • F83988C0-F8D7-4AEA-A55F-4A9F8FA78987.jpeg
    F83988C0-F8D7-4AEA-A55F-4A9F8FA78987.jpeg
    98.6 KB · Views: 15

That is the same recipe I use for scalloped potatoes! I only knew them by the name “scalloped” but from now on I will introduce them as Dauphinoise Potatoes!

So sorry about your medical diagnosis:(

I've posted my Potatoes Dauphin recipe on this site several times. I think it's on one of the Covid food threads. Best potato dish ever! When I serve it, recipe is always requested :)

Potatoes Dauphin

4 large russet potatoes
6-8 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups (about 1/2 pound) shredded Gruyere cheese
Salt and white pepper to taste
1 1/2 cups whipping cream

Peel potatoes. Cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices. Soak in ice water for several hours or overnight. Drain well and pat dry.

Preheat over to 400*.

Place one quarter of the potatoes in a single layer in a 9x13 or 7x12 baking dish. Sprinkle with a quarter of the garlic and a quarter of the cheese. Salt and pepper to taste. Repeat process three times. Pour cream evenly over top.

Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Remove cover and continue to bake until potatoes are tender and top is nicely browned (about 30 minutes). Remove from oven and let stand for 10-15 minutes. Serves 4-6.

Bon Appetit!

Household member basically lived on Yukon Gold potatoes for a few months due to a colitis flare-up. The potatoes from Mom’s (Mom’s Organic Market) are the best I’ve found, and priced about the same as Wegmans/Whole Foods. I tried organic potatoes from other places but nothing compared. (Mom’s doesn’t do curbside or delivery, unfortunately...my location is practically empty weekday mornings though).

And I love gruyère cheese! We use it for my grilled cheese “recipe” and to top French onion soup.

My grilled cheese “recipe”

two slices sourdough bread
Gruyère cheese
Hellman’s Mayo
Blood orange jam (or your favorite flavor jam)

Spread thin layer of mayo on outside of bread and thin layer of jam inside. Put a couple slices of gruyère inside and grill until bred is toasty and cheese is melted.

Using mayo instead of butter gives the sandwich a nice toasty texture and great flavor. My daughter doesn’t even like mayo but she loves this grilled cheese.

It seems that Covid may have left me with prediabetes. Had a call from the diabetic nurse this week. Anyway like all sensible people (?!) I just ordered a chinese feast to be delivered... peppercorn prawns for me.. then it's on to a lower your blood sugar diet :(

It seems that Covid may have left me with prediabetes. Had a call from the diabetic nurse this week. Anyway like all sensible people (?!) I just ordered a chinese feast to be delivered... peppercorn prawns for me.. then it's on to a lower your blood sugar diet :(

Oh. You have been through so much with Covid. So sorry to hear this. I think that there is so much people don't know about Covid.

It definitely isn't "just flu"!!!

Oh. You have been through so much with Covid. So sorry to hear this. I think that there is so much people don't know about Covid.

It definitely isn't "just flu"!!!
I know. It's as sucky as a sucky thing that sucks!! :mad:

Its ok tho, in the big scheme. No bad thing to lose some weight, get more active and all that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marjulius