Status
Not open for further replies.
Potatoes Dauphin

4 large russet potatoes
6-8 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups (about 1/2 pound) shredded Gruyere cheese
Salt and white pepper to taste
1 1/2 cups whipping cream

Peel potatoes. Cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices. Soak in ice water for several hours or overnight. Drain well and pat dry.

Preheat over to 400*.

Place one quarter of the potatoes in a single layer in a 9x13 or 7x12 baking dish. Sprinkle with a quarter of the garlic and a quarter of the cheese. Salt and pepper to taste. Repeat process three times. Pour cream evenly over top.

Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Remove cover and continue to bake until potatoes are tender and top is nicely browned (about 30 minutes). Remove from oven and let stand for 10-15 minutes. Serves 4-6.

Bon Appetit!
Ok I don’t understand soaking the potatoes. Is it to remove the starch because they’re Russet potatoes?

We actually prefer Russet potatoes over Yukon Gold. But the food distribution gave us so many small creamer potatoes. A mix of white and Yukon Gold. So I need to use those up.

Ok I don’t understand soaking the potatoes. Is it to remove the starch because they’re Russet potatoes?

We actually prefer Russet potatoes over Yukon Gold. But the food distribution gave us so many small creamer potatoes. A mix of white and Yukon Gold. So I need to use those up.
You are correct, soaking removes starch.

I always soak potatoes when I make hash browns or fried potatoes.

Ok I don’t understand soaking the potatoes. Is it to remove the starch because they’re Russet potatoes?...

Yes. Soaking the potatoes removes excess starch so the cream and cheese stick to the potatoes. I've made the Dauphin potatoes with Yukon golds (unpeeled), and they turn out just fine.

I just made these and they are good. I did not put the glaze on them. I used gluten free flour. The batter seemed thin for the heavy GF flour so I added an extra heaping tablespoon of flour. Some of my raspberries seemed big so I cut them in half. I think they’re good with 1 cup of sugar. I don’t like my baked bread items really sweet. GF flour is bean based so it dampens the sweet flavor too.

Lemon Raspberry Muffins - Tastes Better From Scratch

Ingredients
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 Tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 large eggs , lightly beaten
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 small lemon , juice and zest
  • 1/2 cup oil (vegetable or canola oil)
  • 1 1/2 cups raspberries (fresh or frozen)

Attachments

• 9972038F-B0E4-46C3-97A9-12B8D4E20FC6.jpeg
    9972038F-B0E4-46C3-97A9-12B8D4E20FC6.jpeg
    79.1 KB · Views: 8
DH requested meatballs, so I just put together turkey meatball mixture with chopped spinach, sundried tomatoes, and crumbled feta. Two pounds of ground turkey will make about two full sheet pans of meatballs - enough to freeze for future meals.

A couple of weeks ago, The Kitchen hosts were making updated versions of classic dishes. Jeff Mauro made Chicken Vesuvio that originated in a Chicago restaurant. Shrimp de Jonghe is another Chicago classic that was popular in the 60s and 70s. I used to make it regularly and made a "deconstructed" version as an appetizer a few years ago. I roasted shrimp with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder and served the shrimp with the buttery, garlicky bread crumb mixture as a "dip". I'm going to make Shrimp de Jonghe for dinner tomorrow night. Shrimp de Jonghe recipe | Epicurious.com

My next baked item of the day...... Vanishing Oatmeal Cookies with dried cherries and chocolate chips! I use the recipe on the oatmeal lid from years ago. I used gluten free flour, butter flavored Crisco, dried cherries and mini chocolate chips. Some of the dried cherries were bigger than raisins. So I made the cookies a bit bigger. To me, they don't taste that different from using raisins. They are not sweet cherries, they are tart which is fine with us. I baked off 3 pans and plan to freeze the rest of the dough. Then I can split it between our houses and the kids can decide if they'll eat it raw or baked. LOL!

Attachments

• C910E635-2941-4691-A8A8-D9D6ACCAA081.jpeg
    C910E635-2941-4691-A8A8-D9D6ACCAA081.jpeg
    160.5 KB · Views: 33
  • 94E294C4-DF49-44C7-9378-D423077173F5.jpeg
    94E294C4-DF49-44C7-9378-D423077173F5.jpeg
    155.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 3F702939-477E-4144-B085-C579DA1D2DA5.jpeg
    3F702939-477E-4144-B085-C579DA1D2DA5.jpeg
    156.4 KB · Views: 30
DH requested meatballs, so I just put together turkey meatball mixture with chopped spinach, sundried tomatoes, and crumbled feta. Two pounds of ground turkey will make about two full sheet pans of meatballs - enough to freeze for future meals.

A couple of weeks ago, The Kitchen hosts were making updated versions of classic dishes. Jeff Mauro made Chicken Vesuvio that originated in a Chicago restaurant. Shrimp de Jonghe is another Chicago classic that was popular in the 60s and 70s. I used to make it regularly and made a "deconstructed" version as an appetizer a few years ago. I roasted shrimp with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder and served the shrimp with the buttery, garlicky bread crumb mixture as a "dip". I'm going to make Shrimp de Jonghe for dinner tomorrow night. Shrimp de Jonghe recipe | Epicurious.com
When you freeze meatballs do you use sauce? I tried freezing turkey meatballs without sauce and they dried out. Then I tried them again a few months later and had them in sauce. I thought they not only tasted better but weren't as dry.

When you freeze meatballs do you use sauce? I tried freezing turkey meatballs without sauce and they dried out. Then I tried them again a few months later and had them in sauce. I thought they not only tasted better but weren't as dry.

I've done both depending on how we use the meatballs. DH wants them with sauce and pasta, so if there are leftovers, I'll freeze them in the sauce. I'll probably freeze half of the meatballs without sauce. Turkey meatballs tend to be dryer than those made with ground beef.

I put together bread crumb/panko base for Shrimp de Jonghe. Shrimp are precooked and will be added to the bread crumb mixture during the last few minutes of baking just to heat them through. I left 2/3 of a bag of shrimp in the sink to thaw overnight but will only use half for tonight's dinner. Once thawed, the shrimp are not supposed to be refrozen, so we'll have Shrimp Scampi tomorrow or Monday.

We are finally getting summery weather with no frost or freeze warnings in sight. We plan to head to the nursery early next week for our flowers and potting soil.

It seems that Covid may have left me with prediabetes. Had a call from the diabetic nurse this week. Anyway like all sensible people (?!) I just ordered a chinese feast to be delivered... peppercorn prawns for me.. then it's on to a lower your blood sugar diet :(
Gosh I hope you can keep your health under control. Maybe some simple dietary changes can bring everything back in line. Don't hesitate to question what is needed. I questioned my cholesterol meds last week - my numbers have been fine so why am I taking this??? The heart doctor stopped it and the aspirin. The more natural food solutions the better!!

Gosh I hope you can keep your health under control. Maybe some simple dietary changes can bring everything back in line. Don't hesitate to question what is needed. I questioned my cholesterol meds last week - my numbers have been fine so why am I taking this??? The heart doctor stopped it and the aspirin. The more natural food solutions the better!!

I had a 6-month visit with my PCP last Tuesday. She said that it has been quite common for many patients to avoid coming into the office during the pandemic. Patients with pre-existing conditions have found their health issues worsening because they feared coming into the office unless it was required for refills on scripts. In some cases, people avoided presenting at an ER because they worried about getting Covid. Increased anxiety, depression, weight gain, new hypertension and/or cardiac problems, etc. are largely due to emotional and physical stress over the last 15 months. Now that vaccines are readily available, it should be much easier for people to feel comfortable about visiting their physicians to make sure that they haven't developed new health issues during the pandemic. Take care of yourself!

Mr HKP and me are v motivated for a healthy start! Recipes planned for the week based on the lower your sugar diet plan. Tonight we had cardamom chicken and it was so good. Nice to try something different too.

Mr HKP and me are v motivated for a healthy start! Recipes planned for the week based on the lower your sugar diet plan. Tonight we had cardamom chicken and it was so good. Nice to try something different too.

I don't have prediabetes (or at least I didn't pre-pandemic), but I am certain I would benefit from a diet with less sugar and carbs! I, like so many, gained weight over the winter and for some reason, it's not just dropping off. :rolleyes: More exercise would help, too.

That’s an expensive tater dish lol.

Let us know how they turn out!! Sounds yummy.
I agree! I hope they’re as tasty as we expect. Taters are soaking! I’ll make them tomorrow since I’m still pretty weak and tired.

Did 3 miles on my trike with the electric assist which even that wore me out. Kiddo is going to the store to get me some more nutritious drinks that I like.

Sort of a "cross post", the weather finally straightened out here. I put in a huge garden, herbs, peppers, zucchini, tomatoes. Love to cook with fresh herbs.

Looking forward to the mint, cilantro, basil, I sectioned off the garden based on the regional cooking flavors. Italian, French, Asian, Mexican, American.

And I have the CSA starting up soon as well. It worked out great last year, I hardly went to the store at all.

Yum! How do you make your cardamom chicken?
It was from a book called "the fast 800 easy" by Claire Bailey. Really easy, I cant link but have uploaded a photo of the page! You may need to squint :D. You prob know this, but coriander is cilantro to you I think.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 22
Well, I had no idea how expensive Gruyere cheese was! Yikes. It was on sale for $7.89 for 8 ounces. I got 2 and a pint of heavy whipping cream. Now to wash the sand off the potatoes then slice & soak them.

All cheeses seem pricy right now and not just at gourmet markets like Nino Salvaggio's. When I made enchiladas for Cinco de Mayo, we got two 8 oz. packages of cheese - a Mexican queso fresco and a mild cheddar. $15 worth of cheese, but we only used half for 10 enchiladas. When we had NY strip steaks on Mother's Day, I asked DH to get a chunk of blue cheese that I like on a steak or as a snack with a glass of red wine. Five ounce wedge at Meijer was $8. We were out of Parm a few weeks ago and decided to get a wedge of pricy Parm that was featured that week for 12.99 per pound (regularly 15.99). That's not even the most expensive Parm Nino's carries - it's 24.99 now! Gruyere is one of my favorite cheeses. It's a nice snack with apple slices or dried fruit, and Gruyere melts beautifully for grilled cheese. It has a wonderful nutty flavor. I have to take Lactaid to enjoy a few bites, but it's worth it :D

I hope your Dauphin Potatoes were delicious :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members