Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My St Patty's Day meal will be the last acorn squash, last bit of green beans and some rotisserie chicken. I’m wanting a biscuit so I may bake off a few Pillsbury frozen ones. Then I can have gravy and a biscuit for breakfast. Probably not even remotely an Irish meal but I’m not Irish either.

Since all the M&M cookie dough has left the building, I may make some chocolate chip cookie dough.

In my food pickup I was given 2 bags of frozen cherries. One went home with the oldest for her smoothies. I think they’re pitted. I don’t know what to do with them. Maybe some mini loaves of bread?

My St Patty's Day meal will be the last acorn squash, last bit of green beans and some rotisserie chicken. I’m wanting a biscuit so I may bake off a few Pillsbury frozen ones. Then I can have gravy and a biscuit for breakfast. Probably not even remotely an Irish meal but I’m not Irish either.

Since all the M&M cookie dough has left the building, I may make some chocolate chip cookie dough.

In my food pickup I was given 2 bags of frozen cherries. One went home with the oldest for her smoothies. I think they’re pitted. I don’t know what to do with them. Maybe some mini loaves of bread?

Do you have a Yonanas maker? I like to put berries through the machine (usually without bananas). Spouse loves frozen cherries in a bowl with a little freshly grated dark chocolate, and I’ll sometimes just eat a handful right from the bag.

Do you have a Yonanas maker? I like to put berries through the machine (usually without bananas). Spouse loves frozen cherries in a bowl with a little freshly grated dark chocolate, and I’ll sometimes just eat a handful right from the bag.
I had to look up a Yohanas maker. I’ve never heard of that. I found a cherry bread recipe that looks interesting. I will look up cherry chocolate chip something. Maybe I can combine the two.

I don't eat beef, or even cook it very well. I honestly don't even know what I am buying most of the time. I saw these big pieces of meat half price, so I am like...great deal! I bought 3 or 4 hunks. They are "Tri Tip".

Okay, the first one I completely charred in my Ninja Foodi. It was inedible.

I am cutting this one up for stew in the crockpot. Who can mess up stew?

I have heard about tri-tip and seen it prepared on cooking shows, but I haven't ever seen it in a local market.

Tri-Tip Roast (beefitswhatsfordinner.com)

Our corned beef & cabbage dinner was delicious! Corned beef shrinks a lot while cooking, so a 3# brisket ended up yielding about 10 nice slices with a corner left over for DH to have a sandwich while he watches the basketball game. There were plenty of leftover veggies, so I will make soup this weekend. We packed up meat and veggies for my brother who is bringing swordfish for us to grill tonight. I will make Colcannon to accompany the swordfish.

I have heard about tri-tip and seen it prepared on cooking shows, but I haven't ever seen it in a local market.

Tri-Tip Roast (beefitswhatsfordinner.com)

Our corned beef & cabbage dinner was delicious! Corned beef shrinks a lot while cooking, so a 3# brisket ended up yielding about 10 nice slices with a corner left over for DH to have a sandwich while he watches the basketball game. There were plenty of leftover veggies, so I will make soup this weekend. We packed up meat and veggies for my brother who is bringing swordfish for us to grill tonight. I will make Colcannon to accompany the swordfish.
How do you “make” the corned beef Bette? It sounds good.

My favorite Irish food is colcannon. It’s a great comfort food to make any time of year.

The first time I ever heard of colcannon was at a rather expensive Irish restaurant. My friend and I were there for the first time, and colcannon was on the menu as a side selection.

When our server came to take our order she asked if we had any questions. I asked what colcannon was.

She looked at each of us and did a huge eye roll and said snootily, “Colcannon means mashed potatoes in Irish,” and looked done on us like we were the most clueless customers she had ever had.

Incidentally, when I type “colcannon” my auto correct changes it to “volcano.”

I cooked 4 slices of thick bacon until crispy and set aside to drain. Sauteed a bunch of chopped kale in the drippings with a little olive oil, salt, pepper, freshly grated nutmeg. Added two sliced scallions. Potatoes are cooking. I will whip them with Irish herb butter and buttermilk. Add the cooked kale and top with shredded Irish cheddar. Pop it into the oven until cheese browns. Should be a nice accompaniment to grilled swordfish.

My favorite Irish food is colcannon. It’s a great comfort food to make any time of year.

The first time I ever heard of colcannon was at a rather expensive Irish restaurant. My friend and I were there for the first time, and colcannon was on the menu as a side selection.

When our server came to take our order she asked if we had any questions. I asked what colcannon was.

She looked at each of us and did a huge eye roll and said snootily, “Colcannon means mashed potatoes in Irish,” and looked done on us like we were the most clueless customers she had ever had.

Incidentally, when I type “colcannon” my auto correct changes it to “volcano.”
The snooty woman was wrong. Colcannon is an English word that comes from the Irish cál ceannann, which means white-headed cabbage. Potatoes in Irish are prátaí and mashed potato is usually called brúitín or peaindí (specifically mashed with milk and butter).

Colcannon (potato mashed with cabbage) isn't all that commonly eaten here but mashed or boiled potatoes are a daily staple for many families still. I know many, many people who don't consider it a meal if there are no spuds served!

I cooked 4 slices of thick bacon until crispy and set aside to drain. Sauteed a bunch of chopped kale in the drippings with a little olive oil, salt, pepper, freshly grated nutmeg. Added two sliced scallions. Potatoes are cooking. I will whip them with Irish herb butter and buttermilk. Add the cooked kale and top with shredded Irish cheddar. Pop it into the oven until cheese browns. Should be a nice accompaniment to grilled swordfish.

Does the bacon get mixed into the potatoes too?

The snooty woman was wrong. Colcannon is an English word that comes from the Irish cál ceannann, which means white-headed cabbage. Potatoes in Irish are prátaí and mashed potato is usually called brúitín or peaindí (specifically mashed with milk and butter).

Colcannon (potato mashed with cabbage) isn't all that commonly eaten here but mashed or boiled potatoes are a daily staple for many families still. I know many, many people who don't consider it a meal if there are no spuds served!
After snooty woman I tried some recipes and now colcannon is a favorite at my house.

This is my recipe:

Colcannon

• 4 large russet potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
  • Salt and pepper
  • 6 Tbsp unsalted butter, plus more for serving on top
  • 3 cups of chopped kale,
  • 3 green onions (green and white part) minced (about 1/2 cup)
  • 1 cup milk or cream
  • Boil the potatoes, adding 1 tbsp salt to the water, until fork-tender.

Drain in a colander.

In the same pot, melt the butter and then add the kale.

Cook the kale for 3-4 minutes, or until wilted and have given off some of their water.

Add the green onions and cook 1 minute more.

Mix the potatoes with milk or cream and add to the kale. Reduce the heat to medium.

Use a fork or potato masher and mash the potatoes, mixing up with the kale.

Add salt and pepper to taste and serve hot, with extra butter slices on top.

We made a corned brisket today at work was so yummy, I gave in and had a slice of rye bread with it and I have been so good lately with the carbs.

Tri-tip also referred to as Triangle steak comes from the bottom of the sirloin being named after its shape. Some call it a California or Newport steak.

Depending on where you purchased it may or may not have the silver skin and fat still on it. So before you cook, make sure you remove the silver skin with a very sharp knife, I like to leave a little fat on mine but trim most off. You can definitely use in stew, we cook on the grill and then slice like a "London Broil". If you do see in your grocery stores or market I highly recommend.

Also note... Poultry prices are changing rapidly. We saw 10 cent per lb increases overnight. There were also reports of Avian Flu on the East Coast this week, which only means higher prices are predicted.

After snooty woman I tried some recipes and now colcannon is a favorite at my house.

This is my recipe:

Colcannon

• 4 large russet potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
  • Salt and pepper
  • 6 Tbsp unsalted butter, plus more for serving on top
  • 3 cups of chopped kale,
  • 3 green onions (green and white part) minced (about 1/2 cup)
  • 1 cup milk or cream
  • Boil the potatoes, adding 1 tbsp salt to the water, until fork-tender.

Drain in a colander.

In the same pot, melt the butter and then add the kale.

Cook the kale for 3-4 minutes, or until wilted and have given off some of their water.

Add the green onions and cook 1 minute more.

Mix the potatoes with milk or cream and add to the kale. Reduce the heat to medium.

Use a fork or potato masher and mash the potatoes, mixing up with the kale.

Add salt and pepper to taste and serve hot, with extra butter slices on top.
That looks great. It's like a mix between traditional colcannon and champ - champ is mashed potato with spring (green) onions or chives. Best of both worlds!

All sounds very heartwarming. We’re not doing anything special here (unless St Paddy had Moroccan origins - beef with ras al hanout in the slow cooker!)

When my son was a student, I was at his house one Sunday and could smell roast pork Sunday dinner coming from his neighbour’s house. I said, are they Irish? He said how would you know that?! Ahh, took me straight back to my lovely Irish grandad and Sunday at their house, that was how.
I was supposed to go out for dinner today with extended family but we cancelled yesterday due to bananas Covid numbers. So I randomly pulled something out of the freezer to eat tonight. It was a Moroccan chickpea pie. Very nice. So hey presto a new St Patrick's tradition was born. I now pronounce your ras el hanout stew an official authentic Paddy's Day meal!

The Tri-Tip turned out fine. I roasted it for 45 minutes. My husband thought it was okay, not his favorite piece. I baked potatoes, and had broccoli with cottage cheese.

We have a corned beef for the weekend when the kids are coming over. They are always so busy...working, skiing.

That looks great. It's like a mix between traditional colcannon and champ - champ is mashed potato with spring (green) onions or chives. Best of both worlds!
Wow both of those sound good to me. We love potatos . Don't get to have them much anymore. Hubby was diagnosed diabetic just before Thanksgiving. I did my usual St Pattys day meal. Not sure how Irish it is, but we like it. It's a deconstructed reworked take on a New England Boil. Cornbeef brisket, coleslaw for BBQ ( it's a bit of a strange dressing, but really good), baked potato and roasted carrots with garlic. I usually make 2 briskets so we have lots of leftovers. My husband and son like cornbeef sandwiches the next day with some of the slaw on rye bread.

Wow both of those sound good to me. We love potatos . Don't get to have them much anymore. Hubby was diagnosed diabetic just before Thanksgiving. I did my usual St Pattys day meal. Not sure how Irish it is, but we like it. It's a deconstructed reworked take on a New England Boil. Cornbeef brisket, coleslaw for BBQ ( it's a bit of a strange dressing, but really good), baked potato and roasted carrots with garlic. I usually make 2 briskets so we have lots of leftovers. My husband and son like cornbeef sandwiches the next day with some of the slaw on rye bread.
Sounds delicious. I think anything goes for a Paddy's Day meal. Irish people don't eat very traditionally on St Patrick's or any other day really. As long as there are potatoes in some form, the meal is Irish!

Corned beef has become associated with the Irish in the US but it is rarely eaten here and was never traditional. The only corned beef most of us know in Ireland is a slightly suspect cold deli meat that is not very popular. The traditional dish here is bacon and cabbage. The bacon used is more like ham though. I think what happened is that when Irish immigrants arrived in America, they couldn't always get bacon for bacon and cabbage so they started to eat corned beef and cabbage instead, and so it is a particularly Irish dish in the Irish-American tradition. But corned beef is a mystery to most of us in Ireland!

One element that makes your meal really Irish, believe it or not, is the coleslaw! Yes it's in no way Irish but Irish people are nuts about it since it became popular here in the 1960s and 70s. Lasagne is another big hit. I was listening to the radio yesterday and they were debating what would be the most quintessentially Irish meal ever according to modern Irish tastes. They came up with lasagne with coleslaw and chips (French fries) and a pint of full-fat milk. I had to laugh. It may sound disgusting but that would be a very popular pub lunch or even restaurant dinner here!

There were a lot of leftovers from the corned beef & cabbage dinner, so I am making a "dump" soup today. Half a head of cabbage, half an onion, a couple of celery stalks, half a red pepper (from another meal), and a bundle of fresh thyme are simmering in the broth from the corned beef meal and a large can of diced tomatoes. When the veggies are tender, I will add the leftover cabbage, carrots, and potatoes. This will be a very large pot of soup that will last for several days. DH will pick up a crusty loaf of bread when he's out today. No more meal prep or cooking until at least Sunday :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members