Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
You are all so inspiring! I was just going over my photos from the early days of the pandemic when we were not out and about. I ordered all my groceries delivered and we ate a yummy meal at home every night. I took lots of pictures of my creations. Lately, we have been going out to eat a lot. I need to get back to making some nice meals here!
Thank you all for your contributions on this thread. I many not post much but I do read each and every one of your posts and look forward to seeing what comes next.

Bolognese sauce in the slow cooker today. I’m still putting way too much liquid in though, need to keep experimenting.

ETA they really should market these things as “friend to those with ME/CFS/long Covid”! :D They are brilliant, in that you can prep your dinner first thing when your energy levels are usually ok. Otherwise I tend to eat quick less healthy things at hungry o’clock.

Last edited:
I have my turkey meatballs in the crockpot. I used 1 3/4 cup of Sweet Baby Rays original BBQ sauce and 1 3/4 cup of grape jelly. The bag of turkey meatballs was 32 oz. I didn’t have 2 cups of either ingredient. I’ll stir them at the 2 hour mark.

I made coleslaw for the first time. My aunt said Marzetti is the best coleslaw dressing. I added one grated carrot, onion powder and pepper. I don’t like raw onions or radicchio cabbage.

Hopefully this will taste good!

Attachments

• 8C919A42-986C-460C-9CE2-2A80EE8E9A86.jpeg
    8C919A42-986C-460C-9CE2-2A80EE8E9A86.jpeg
    132.6 KB · Views: 25
I have my turkey meatballs in the crockpot. I used 1 3/4 cup of Sweet Baby Rays original BBQ sauce and 1 3/4 cup of grape jelly. The bag of turkey meatballs was 32 oz. I didn’t have 2 cups of either ingredient. I’ll stir them at the 2 hour mark.

I made coleslaw for the first time. My aunt said Marzetti is the best coleslaw dressing. I added one grated carrot, onion powder and pepper. I don’t like raw onions or radicchio cabbage.

Marzetti's is my favorite too. I like to grate about 1/4 onion in my coleslaw. (Hubby doesn't like raw onion either)

I used to use Marzetti for coleslaw. My family liked it. The meatballs look very tasty. I've had them with the grape jelly before at a potluck. I've never tried making them.

I added cornstarch and it did help thicken the meatball sauce. Not as much as I’d like but they’re edible. It has cooked all afternoon. Next time I’m going to use Chili Sauce. I can taste a definite BBQ flavor. It’s not bad but combined with the thinness I think it could be better.

When I first tasted the coleslaw it had a strong vinegar taste. Now that it was in the fridge all afternoon, it tastes much better.

Attachments

• 7678875C-CFEA-4C01-A84F-4C1408EDA27F.jpeg
    7678875C-CFEA-4C01-A84F-4C1408EDA27F.jpeg
    121.9 KB · Views: 18
Has anyone cooked Florentino? I had never seen or heard of this baby cauliflower that is featured at Nino's this week. It was in a bin with broccolini that I have cooked previously. I usually saute broccolini in olive oil with garlic.

florentinoab.gallery.jpg

Has anyone cooked Florentino? I had never seen or heard of this baby cauliflower that is featured at Nino's this week. It was in a bin with broccolini that I have cooked previously. I usually saute broccolini in olive oil with garlic.

florentinoab.gallery.jpg
I've never even seen them. Maybe try roasted with a little oil, lemon juice and garlic? I love roasted veggies. The roasting seems to give them an additional layer of flavor.

I've never even seen them. Maybe try roasted with a little oil, lemon juice and garlic? I love roasted veggies. The roasting seems to give them an additional layer of flavor.

We like most vegetables roasted, as well, but broccoli and broccolini don't look good when they're roasted. Sauteeing broccolini and steaming broccoli retains the bright green color. We always roast cauliflower, so I think I will prepare the Florentino (caulilini) similarly. I'll be checking out recipes before we have it sometime this weekend.

I love Spring. Fresh greens. Asparagus was ,99 a pound at the store, young, fresh tender stalks. I barely steamed them in the microwave. Tender crisp. I love them with a bit of lemon and pepper.

It is warm and sunny here. But unless "global warming" is winning, I am sure it will snow again.

I went to 2 small food pickups this morning. I didn’t want to go to the big USDA food pickup because it’s just too much. Anyway, both sites had nice items. I’ll combine what I have with what they gave me.

I had to toss the strawberries and 4 of the pears. I will make pear bread again as I liked it with my morning tea.

The package of beef is already seasoned for tacos. I’m going to cook that today for my soft tacos.

The little packs of pretzels are perfect for treatment day. I’ll have to find a home for the pecan nut thing and the mushrooms. I think I’ll have to fire up the grill and cook up all those chicken leg quarters.

That can of cheddar cheese soup was interesting. I guess rice & broccoli casserole? I won’t eat it but my youngest will.

Now to go play in the dirt while the taco meat thaws.

Attachments

• C775440A-A74E-41D5-AD80-6ECA3E32AD73.jpeg
    C775440A-A74E-41D5-AD80-6ECA3E32AD73.jpeg
    139.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 54CE7825-6210-4521-9607-3392B7E0F48D.jpeg
    54CE7825-6210-4521-9607-3392B7E0F48D.jpeg
    136.5 KB · Views: 35
  • D08129DE-A96C-4A1C-8E5E-B4C1801561FA.jpeg
    D08129DE-A96C-4A1C-8E5E-B4C1801561FA.jpeg
    148.1 KB · Views: 34
  • 2E619542-849B-433C-987B-D1189023EB03.jpeg
    2E619542-849B-433C-987B-D1189023EB03.jpeg
    164.9 KB · Views: 29
I love Spring. Fresh greens. Asparagus was ,99 a pound at the store, young, fresh tender stalks. I barely steamed them in the microwave. Tender crisp. I love them with a bit of lemon and pepper.

It is warm and sunny here. But unless "global warming" is winning, I am sure it will snow again.

We enjoyed fresh asparagus with sockeye salmon last night - the second of two salmon fillets that DH got on his recent trip to Costco. I made meatloaf with roasted potatoes on Thursday with Nino's "meatloaf" from the butcher counter. It can be used as-is, but we think it's a bit boring. The mixture is ground chuck with chopped mushrooms, tomatoes, onion, garlic, breadcrumbs, Kosher salt and pepper. I add Worcestershire, an egg, panko or breadcrumbs, cheese or other dairy, and seasonings. I'm going to make turkey meatballs with spinach, sundried tomatoes, and feta today. If DH wants the meatballs with pasta, we'll go that route. If not, we have a choice of fresh vegetables.

We're going out for Mexican tomorrow. We haven't been to our favorite Mexican Village since late fall 2019. The new restaurant that is opening in April is going to be Tex-Mex, so it probably won't offer authentic Mexican like Mexican Village. Restaurant Utica | Mexican Dishes | Mexican Village Restaurant (mexicanvillageutica.com)

Last edited:
We enjoyed fresh asparagus with sockeye salmon last night - the second of two salmon fillets that DH got on his recent trip to Costco. I made meatloaf with roasted potatoes on Thursday with Nino's "meatloaf" from the butcher counter. It can be used as-is, but we think it's a bit boring. The mixture is ground chuck with chopped mushrooms, tomatoes, onion, garlic, breadcrumbs, Kosher salt and pepper. I add Worcestershire, an egg, panko or breadcrumbs, cheese or other dairy, and seasonings. I'm going to make turkey meatballs with spinach, sundried tomatoes, and feta today. If DH wants the meatballs with pasta, we'll go that route. If not, we have a choice of fresh vegetables.

We're going out for Mexican tomorrow. We haven't been to our favorite Mexican Village since late fall 2019. The new restaurant that is opening in April is going to be Tex-Mex, so it probably won't offer authentic Mexican like Mexican Village. Restaurant Utica | Mexican Dishes | Mexican Village Restaurant (mexicanvillageutica.com)
The Mexican pizza looks delicious.

I would say Chicago would be hard to beat as the best pizza city in America. Besides the famous deep dish pizza, square slice tavern style, stuffed crust, thin crust, fermented Roman style, free form, Sicilian, and Neapolitan.

JMO

We have visited Chicago many times. DH had relatives in the northern suburbs, and DD went to college in Chicago. There was definitely no shortage of unique dining opportunities that we experienced on our numerous visits, but we absolutely did not care for deep dish pizza.

Detroit's Capuchin Soup Kitchen, one of the charities that we support, is hosting a spring fundraiser on April 25. Most locations of Buddy's Pizza will serve all-you-can-eat pizza and salad to contributors. We haven't purchased tickets yet but will probably participate.

Capuchin Soup Kitchen - (cskdetroit.org)

Buddy's Pizza (buddyspizza.com)

The food looked really good. "Authentic" will vary from location to location. Just the other side of the border is sometimes WAY different then what is made here where I live. And two hours north of me is also different. Tonight will be Chicken Parmesan over Pasta with salad and garlic bread. Has to be a fast meal. I've got sourdough started for loaf bread and am hoping to start more to put in the fridge overnight for cinnamon raisin bread that will be an artisan bread.

Since I am working on losing a bit of weight, I made this salad for dinner. Black bean burger for me. Quite delicious and different.

Big Mac Salad - Cheeseburger Salad Recipe (Low Carb, Gluten-free)

That looks really good! I would use black bean burger as well, or maybe a Beyond Burger.

I would make this copycat Big Mac sauce for dressing, it is a pretty good copycat, just mix these ingredients and chill for a couple of hours.

• 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • 2 tbsp sweet relish
  • 1 1/2 tbsp mustard
  • 1/2 tbsp BBQ sauce
  • 1 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp onion powder
  • 1 tsp smoked paprika
  • 1/4 tsp salt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online