Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Jewish Center near downtown had a huge, as in a semi truck load, size food pickup today. I hadn’t been to one in months. I usually go to the smaller ones. Our cupboards were pretty bare tho.

What do you do with pork shoulder? I would think make beans with it? However, kiddo doesn’t eat meat.

The pepperoni on the pizza wasn’t appealing to me. (My taste buds get so jacked up during treatment week.) I took it off, cut up some tomato and spinach and added a tad more mozzarella cheese. Now, it looks very appetizing!

I was super happy to get flour (for me) & cooking oil. Those chip things look like they’d set my mouth on fire.

Loaded up the free food box with the things we’re allergic to and the extras of things we don’t eat frequently. I’ve really been missing peanut butter this week. All the Halloween candy is a reminder of it.

Attachments

• IMG_1854.jpeg
    IMG_1854.jpeg
    124 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1852.jpeg
    IMG_1852.jpeg
    188.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1851.jpeg
    IMG_1851.jpeg
    168.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1850.jpeg
    IMG_1850.jpeg
    192.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1849.jpeg
    IMG_1849.jpeg
    170.6 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1848.jpeg
    IMG_1848.jpeg
    188.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1847.jpeg
    IMG_1847.jpeg
    169.1 KB · Views: 30
The Jewish Center near downtown had a huge, as in a semi truck load, size food pickup today. I hadn’t been to one in months. I usually go to the smaller ones. Our cupboards were pretty bare tho.

What do you do with pork shoulder? I would think make beans with it? However, kiddo doesn’t eat meat.

The pepperoni on the pizza wasn’t appealing to me. (My taste buds get so jacked up during treatment week.) I took it off, cut up some tomato and spinach and added a tad more mozzarella cheese. Now, it looks very appetizing!

I was super happy to get flour (for me) & cooking oil. Those chip things look like they’d set my mouth on fire.

Loaded up the free food box with the things we’re allergic to and the extras of things we don’t eat frequently. I’ve really been missing peanut butter this week. All the Halloween candy is a reminder of it.
Good improvising with the pizza! :)

You can make pulled pork from pork shoulder, or roast it. We made the pulled pork in our slow cooker. You can divide it up easy and freeze it in portions, so you're not eating it forever if only a couple of you eat it. For roasting, we did it in our oven.

You can make pulled pork from pork shoulder, or roast it. We made the pulled pork in our slow cooker. You can divide it up easy and freeze it in portions, so you're not eating it forever if only a couple of you eat it. For roasting, we did it in our oven.
Great minds think alike. I was thinking the same pulled pork and freeze servings some with some without any bbq sauce.

We have a lot of fresh cranberries in the fridge right now and I have been finding ways to use them other than in pastry recipes and relish (though I love both....just want a variety). I love cranberries!

I was doubtful about the baking instructions on this recipe, thinking the cranberries and red onions would burn with honey on them, but I followed it anyway. I think the cranberries and onions were overdone, but not horrible. In the future, I will add them later or cook separately.

I tweeked the recipe only slightly by adding cinnamon and ginger to the nutmeg. To serve, I added roasted kielbasa.

Leftovers served today with kale and a sharp cheese.

Recipe: Roasted Delicata Squash with Fresh Cranberries. - The Pretty Bee

Attachments

• 2023 1103 squash lunch.jpg
    2023 1103 squash lunch.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 17
I haven't made cranberry bread for a while, but the mention of cranberries reminds me that I have a bag from last year in the freezer. I love them, too, and have always made my own cranberry sauce - and not just for Thanksgiving. I also used to make a dessert called "Cranberry Pudding" that was really a cake served warm with butter sauce. Haven't made it in years, but I think the recipe below is pretty similar to what I recall.

Last edited:
I haven't made cranberry bread for a while, but the mention of cranberries reminds me that I have a bag from last year in the freezer. I love them, too, and have always made my own cranberry sauce - and not just for Thanksgiving. I also used to make a dessert called "Cranberry Pudding" that was really a cake served warm with butter sauce. Haven't made it in years, but I think the recipe below is pretty similar to what I recall.

Hmmm--- I have dried sour cherries in my freezer. I use them to add interest to Apple-sauce based marinades for pork. Hubby eats them from time to time just because he's passing the freezer and feels like chewing on a dry sour cherry.

But baking with them is an option I have not explored

MOO

Thought I d check this thread out since being that I now have the dreaded Rona.

Hi, everyone!

Rummy
Bummer - I hope it passes quickly and without much trouble. I had my second bout with covid in late summer and it messed with my smell and taste buds. Both came back after several weeks, but I think my taste is still off.

Bummer - I hope it passes quickly and without much trouble. I had my second bout with covid in late summer and it messed with my smell and taste buds. Both came back after several weeks, but I think my taste is still off.
Bummer for you, now that I'm learning about your culinary side- I'm glad it's resolving (at its own pace).

So far, I had a very severe bout of vomiting, which I wouldn't have know could be COVID if it didn't occur hours after someone rather casually at work said, you know you may have been exposed to COVID, don't you?

I immediately tested at work and got a negative result. then had a weird appetite at home, not hungry but desiring to eat. Hubby took a frozen cauliflower pizza and added olives and a fine freshly sliced salami. When I was eating it, I didn't like the salami and pealed it off. Also skipped the crust for the most part and largely ate cheese and olives for dinner. Had s headache. Took Tylenol and a shot of fireball (not medically recommended but I interpreted the headache to be stress/anger of the non-chalant by the way information- given as an aside to another meeting. I, against medical advice, decided a little alcohol would help the Tylenol with my stress headache.)

I woke up a few hours later vomiting again and again and again. Tested positive this morning. Texted the persons I had the most contact with at work.

Read on the internet the GI symptoms occur in more severe cases. Decided to call that fake news.

Started antivirals, which are complicating my GI symptoms and messing with my taste on their own.

But I am optimistic that the antivirals will help because I got on them really early in this infection.

Ruminations

Okay, trying a new-to-me cranberry preparation. I'm doing a honey ferment with them. I married into a family of master fermenters (no joke!) so the fermenting process is familiar to me. But, I've never done this particular ferment.

All you do is submerge cranberries in honey. I didn't measure - just poured in cranberries and covered with honey. Maybe a cup'ish each? You can add things like cinnamon stick, orange, etc, but I am doing straight-up cranberries.

It's a slow ferment. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Okay, trying a new-to-me cranberry preparation. I'm doing a honey ferment with them. I married into a family of master fermenters (no joke!) so the fermenting process is familiar to me. But, I've never done this particular ferment.

All you do is submerge cranberries in honey. I didn't measure - just poured in cranberries and covered with honey. Maybe a cup'ish each? You can add things like cinnamon stick, orange, etc, but I am doing straight-up cranberries.

Wow, sounds VERY promising.

Looking forward to how it turns out, sounds yummy.

I made my last trip of the season to our local produce farm yesterday. They close today till spring. I got sweet corn, tomatoes, okra, and cukes.tonight we will have creamed corn, white peas, fried okra, fried cornbread, and sliced tomatoes. It’s smelling good already.

Our friends who have the huge garden gave me a boatload of jalapeños, the last of the season since we are expecting frost. I made some cheddar jalapeño bread tonight and will use them in scrambled eggs and fried potatoes for breakfast tomorrow.

If you slice them up and sauté, they aren’t hot and add great flavor.

I might made some chili and jalapeño cornbread over the weekend.

Our friends who have the huge garden gave me a boatload of jalapeños, the last of the season since we are expecting frost. I made some cheddar jalapeño bread tonight and will use them in scrambled eggs and fried potatoes for breakfast tomorrow.

If you slice them up and sauté, they aren’t hot and add great flavor.

I might made some chili and jalapeño cornbread over the weekend.
Nice gift from the garden.

I made my last trip of the season to our local produce farm yesterday. They close today till spring. I got sweet corn, tomatoes, okra, and cukes.tonight we will have creamed corn, white peas, fried okra, fried cornbread, and sliced tomatoes. It’s smelling good already.
I have not heard of white peas. :) My daughter lives in Georgia and she now cooks okra. I've never even had it!

I'm always sad when the farmers' markets close for the season. My two favorite ones are closing later this month. Some stay open year-round but I usually change my shopping routine and hit the grocery store for produce in the winter.

I too love cranberries! I stock up during the holidays and freeze to use throughout the year.

Has anyone tried making homemade cranberry juice? I only buy Ocean Spray, other taste so diluted.

I have not heard of white peas. :) My daughter lives in Georgia and she now cooks okra. I've never even had it!

I'm always sad when the farmers' markets close for the season. My two favorite ones are closing later this month. Some stay open year-round but I usually change my shopping routine and hit the grocery store for produce in the winter.
They are field peas, unique to the southeast US. Yummy! Okra is the bomb!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleutherine