DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trudie

Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
DH made turkey meatloaf with sundried tomatoes, feta cheese, and fresh basil on Saturday. It was so good, and there is still enough for a second meal. Yesterday we had spinach/feta London Broils (flank steak pinwheels) with baked potatoes. Tonight I'm making Pasta Puttanesca that is a very simple yet quite tasty pasta dish. I use anchovy paste instead of anchovies and black olives (because we always have them), and I add marinated artichokes along with capers. The dish is best with a long pasta like linguine, fettucine, or spaghetti. The BEST Pasta Puttanesca Recipe

DH made turkey meatloaf with sundried tomatoes, feta cheese, and fresh basil on Saturday. It was so good, and there is still enough for a second meal. Yesterday we had spinach/feta London Broils (flank steak pinwheels) with baked potatoes. Tonight I'm making Pasta Puttanesca that is a very simple yet quite tasty pasta dish. I use anchovy paste instead of anchovies and black olives (because we always have them), and I add marinated artichokes along with capers. The dish is best with a long pasta like linguine, fettucine, or spaghetti. The BEST Pasta Puttanesca Recipe
yum! if you open a restaurant, I'm on my way.

I don’t care for fast food and try my best to avoid it. The one exception is McDonald’s filet-o-fish. I’ve always thought it was a tasty sandwich, and that the quality was better than anything else McDonald’s offers.

I’ve recently read a few articles about why filet-o-fish is actually good food.

First, it is real fish. It’s wild-caught Alaskan Pollock from the ocean. It’s sustainable sourced.

Alaskan Pollock is a very mild fish.

Genuine Alaska Pollock Producers (GAPP) states that the Alaskan Pollock is something like a superfruit of the sea with meat that is low-fat and high in heart-loving fatty acids like omega-3. No

According to a variety of experts and those in the industry, yes, the way your fish is sourced does make a difference in the taste. Seafood brand TinCanFish notes that, often, unsustainable fish are grown on fish farms, fed poor diets, and exposed to less exercise and less extreme weather elements; the result is a fish with less fat and flavor. Sustainably sourced fish, on the other hand, that live in their natural habitat, enjoy a diverse diet and plenty of exercise, which leads to more flavor, more fat, and even more healthy attributes, like fatty acids and minerals.

If environmentalism is at the top of your values, you'll be pleased to know that McDonald's ensures that it uses only wild-caught Alaskan Pollock fish from only sustainable fisheries in its United States Filet-O-Fish sandwiches. Genuine Alaska Pollock Producers (GAPP) says that these fisheries operate out of Alaska's Bering Sea. So, when you enjoy a Filet-O-Fish sandwich, you can rest assured that this fish comes from a very large certified sustainable fishery, making this fish certified sustainable seafood.

Filet-o-fish has an interesting history.

McDonald's Filet-O-Fish sandwich — the first non-hamburger item added to the fast food giant's menu — went nationwide in 1965.
It was the brainchild of Cincinnati-based McDonald's franchise owner Lou Groen.
Groen came up with the idea when he discovered that the Catholic practice of abstaining from meat on Fridays was hurting his business.

As it happened, Groen's hamburger-centric eatery happened to be located in a predominantly Catholic neighborhood.

But Kroc hated the idea. He described his initial reaction in his book: "Hell no! I don't care if the Pope himself comes to Cincinnati. He can eat hamburgers like everybody else. We are not going to stink up our restaurants with any of your damned fish."

But McDonald's executives Fred Turner and Nick Karos disagreed. Groen ended up convincing them that he'd either need to start selling fish sandwiches or his store.

In Cincinnati many people eat only fish on Fridays. So the restaurants that serve fish are always busy on Friday.

When I order filet-o-fish on any day other than Friday, they always make it fresh. I usually wait about 5 minutes for a freshly made filet-o-fish. McDonald’s doesn’t make them ahead of time, except on Fridays when they sell ten times as many as during the rest of the week.

Probably more than you ever wanted to know about filet-o-fish, lol. But I have always said it is the only McDonald’s menu item that I like, so it was interesting to learn about it.

I don’t care for fast food and try my best to avoid it. The one exception is McDonald’s filet-o-fish. I’ve always thought it was a tasty sandwich, and that the quality was better than anything else McDonald’s offers.

I’ve recently read a few articles about why filet-o-fish is actually good food.

First, it is real fish. It’s wild-caught Alaskan Pollock from the ocean. It’s sustainable sourced.

Alaskan Pollock is a very mild fish.

Genuine Alaska Pollock Producers (GAPP) states that the Alaskan Pollock is something like a superfruit of the sea with meat that is low-fat and high in heart-loving fatty acids like omega-3. No

According to a variety of experts and those in the industry, yes, the way your fish is sourced does make a difference in the taste. Seafood brand TinCanFish notes that, often, unsustainable fish are grown on fish farms, fed poor diets, and exposed to less exercise and less extreme weather elements; the result is a fish with less fat and flavor. Sustainably sourced fish, on the other hand, that live in their natural habitat, enjoy a diverse diet and plenty of exercise, which leads to more flavor, more fat, and even more healthy attributes, like fatty acids and minerals.

If environmentalism is at the top of your values, you'll be pleased to know that McDonald's ensures that it uses only wild-caught Alaskan Pollock fish from only sustainable fisheries in its United States Filet-O-Fish sandwiches. Genuine Alaska Pollock Producers (GAPP) says that these fisheries operate out of Alaska's Bering Sea. So, when you enjoy a Filet-O-Fish sandwich, you can rest assured that this fish comes from a very large certified sustainable fishery, making this fish certified sustainable seafood.
I know a tidbit about McD's fish sandwiches through family connection I have to Hasle on the island of Bornholm, Denmark. Hasle is the home of the biggest supplier of fish for European McDonalds. I never thought knowing that would ever come up in a conversation, lol. ;)

There is a little video about the fishery here:

In Cincinnati many people eat only fish on Fridays. So the restaurants that serve fish are always busy on Friday.

When I order filet-o-fish on any day other than Friday, they always make it fresh. I usually wait about 5 minutes for a freshly made filet-o-fish. McDonald’s doesn’t make them ahead of time, except on Fridays when they sell ten times as many as during the rest of the week.

Probably more than you ever wanted to know about filet-o-fish, lol. But I have always said it is the only McDonald’s menu item that I like, so it was interesting to learn about it.
I can confirm that a lot of fish is eaten on Fridays in Cincinnati. Growing up we always had fish on Fridays at school, even if it wasn’t lent. I was told it was to save money for the big Sunday meal. They’d have fish on Friday so they could afford the big roast on Sunday. Who knows if that’s really true?

That’s the only thing I eat from McDs too. I order 2 sandwiches & take off 1/2 a bun on each. Then I put the 2 parts with fish together. No tarter sauce, lots of ketchup.

I can confirm that a lot of fish is eaten on Fridays in Cincinnati. Growing up we always had fish on Fridays at school, even if it wasn’t lent. I was told it was to save money for the big Sunday meal. They’d have fish on Friday so they could afford the big roast on Sunday. Who knows if that’s really true?
I think it's tradition for Catholics not to eat meat on Fridays. I am not Catholic but that is what I understood from my Catholic friends growing up.

jmo

Last edited:
I grew up in a devout Catholic family. No meat on Friday has always been the rule. In 1966 the US bishops allowed no meat on Friday during lent and then a different chosen "penance" for all the other Fridays in the year. Fridays were fish or breakfast (pancakes) for supper.
Still love breakfast for supper.

I grew up in a devout Catholic family. No meat on Friday has always been the rule. In 1966 the US bishops allowed no meat on Friday during lent and then a different chosen "penance" for all the other Fridays in the year. Fridays were fish or breakfast (pancakes) for supper.
Still love breakfast for supper.
I didn't have that particular tradition, but I also love breakfast for dinner and dinner food for breakfast. It was always a treat when my dad traveled for work and my mom made pancakes for dinner. My dad liked a formal dinner - so pancakes were a wild departure! LOL :)

I went to school in Ohio, and we had a large Catholic population. Our schools always served fish on Friday.

As an adult, I worked in a large clinic with 4 internal medicine doctors, a pediatric department, lab, and physical therapy. Virtually everyone in the entire clinic except me was Catholic. We had drug rep lunches delivered three times a week, and on Friday it was always fish.

We’re on the road and stopped and grabbed some quick food at McDonalds just a while ago. I get the McDouble, with extra pickles, because it’s a smaller burger. But now you have thoroughly convinced me to try the fish sandwich on my next visit!

That’s the only thing I eat from McDs too. I order 2 sandwiches & take off 1/2 a bun on each. Then I put the 2 parts with fish together. No tarter sauce, lots of ketchup.
I like ketchup on fish too, but sometimes do eat remoulade or tartar sauce. That’s a good idea with two sandwiches. More fish, less bread :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blueJayJay71