Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't been to McDonald's - or any other fast-food joint - for many years. Does the filet-o-fish sandwich still have American cheese on it? I never liked that combination, but it was a pain to try to peel it off when it was melted on the fish. I preferred the Whaler at Burger King because you could order it without cheese. I also recall a wonderful fish sandwich at Wendy's. In fact, Wendy's was probably my favorite fast-food restaurant back in the day. I would also stop at Subway occasionally, but I've never been a fan of fast-food in general. We never had fast food growing up - there weren't any fast-food establishments near our home. We had take-out pizza or fish & chips occasionally.
You can order the filet-o-fish at McDonald’s without cheese. Or with a whole slice of cheese instead of the half, some people like it that way.

You can order the filet-o-fish at McDonald’s without cheese. Or with a whole slice of cheese instead of the half, some people like it that way.
I haven't been to McDonald's for so long and didn't know you were able to customize your order. I recall the fish sandwich already wrapped and ready, so I had to try to peel the cheese off. Fries were good.

Thanks for your posts about the Filet-O-Fish sandwich. The combination of fish/seafood with cheese doesn't appeal to me. That said, I did enjoy panko-Parm encrusted walleye in a restaurant once.

Last edited:
We used to take deviled eggs in our lunch boxes or brown bag. No ice pack or anything.

Now kids have insulated lunch boxes and ice packs.
No deviled eggs, but I sometimes had a hard-boiled egg in my lunch bag with a half butter sandwich. I loved those miniature Morton saltshakers that were a must with an egg.

I haven't been to McDonald's for so long and didn't know you were able to customize your order. I recall the fish sandwich already wrapped and ready, so I had to try to peel the cheese off. Fries were good.

Thanks for your posts about the Filet-O-Fish sandwich. The combination of fish/seafood with cheese doesn't appeal to me. That said, I did enjoy panko-Parm encrusted walleye in a restaurant once.
McDonald’s now has customizable options on all their sandwiches. I only order the fish but I hear others order no cheese, extra cheese, extra burger, no burger, add lettuce, no lettuce, and every other option you can think of.

This is probably the most unusual: McDonald’s Land, Air, and Sea sandwich.

It is two beef patties, a chicken patty, and fish fillet, all on one sandwich.

McDonald’s now has customizable options on all their sandwiches. I only order the fish but I hear others order no cheese, extra cheese, extra burger, no burger, add lettuce, no lettuce, and every other option you can think of.

WTF?!? Air? Do chickens fly? Shaking my head o_O

That has zero appeal for me. Ewww

I know! My thought too.

At my house, occasionally on Friday nights my parents had “date night.” We had a babysitter on those occasions and were allowed to choose a TV Dinner. My mom kept a large variety of TV Dinners in our freezer, and we thought they were a real treat, as mom cooked all our meals from scratch

It was very exciting to look through the freezer and choose our dinners. I liked the Mexican dinner with an enchilada in sauce, refried beans, and rice. My brothers usually chose fried chicken dinners with mashed potatoes, gravy, and corn. We also like the Salisbury steak with mashed potatoes and gravy.

Back then they came in foil containers and you had to bake them in the oven for what seemed like an extremely long time.

Looking back, it is hard to believe we ever thought the frozen fried chicken and mashed potato dinners were a treat because my mom made excellent fried chicken, chicken gravy, and wonderful mashed potatoes. I’ve never been able to make chicken gravy as good as hers.

I can understand the appeal of the frozen Mexican dinners because we hadn’t had Mexican food before. I don’t think I had anything even resembling Mexican food until I was in college and experienced Chi-Chi’s.
Totally remember those!
I think the appeal was the compartments. I loved the compartments.

MOO

I'll have to try one some day. I must admit though, I'll eat french fries from any fast food place on the planet. They're my Kryptonite. And I'm married to an Idaho potato farmer so there's that....
Me, too. and I love the stuff they put on the cheeseburgers at McD, the pickle slices, sweet nutritionally neutral onions diced to appear like kosher salt, ketchup and mustard. I could throw out the burger, and just use its condiments to dip my hot, greasy fries in.

I'll take a Diet Coke with that.

I'll have to try one some day. I must admit though, I'll eat french fries from any fast food place on the planet. They're my Kryptonite. And I'm married to an Idaho potato farmer so there's that....
All this talk has convinced me I should try a Filet-o-Fish sandwich if I ever eat at McDonald's again!

Me, too. and I love the stuff they put on the cheeseburgers at McD, the pickle slices, sweet nutritionally neutral onions diced to appear like kosher salt, ketchup and mustard. I could throw out the burger, and just use its condiments to dip my hot, greasy fries in.

I'll take a Diet Coke with that.
At Burger King you used to be able to order a Whopper without the meat, so it would be just a bun with lettuce, tomato, onions, pickles, mayo, ketchup, and mustard. You could order it with or without cheese.

Vegetarians used to order this meatless sandwich, back before veggie burgers were on the menu.

They called it “Veggie Whopper” but I am not sure if you can still get it.

I had ordered them several times back years ago, because I liked the pickles, onions, etc. and their fresh buns.

At Burger King you used to be able to order a Whopper without the meat, so it would be just a bun with lettuce, tomato, onions, pickles, mayo, ketchup, and mustard. You could order it with or without cheese.

Vegetarians used to order this meatless sandwich, back before veggie burgers were on the menu.

They called it “Veggie Whopper” but I am not sure if you can still get it.

I had ordered them several times back years ago, because I liked the pickles, onions, etc. and their fresh buns.

As a gluten free parent to a former BQ employee, I learned that you could also order stuff without the bun, and they wrap it in lettuce.

I love fries, cheesburgers, filet of fish...all of it. But I try not to eat it.

So I told my little BQ connection that i'll check that bun free option out when they are in profit sharing!

Shopping this morning I picked up some truffle cheese that I thought would make a sophisticated grilled-cheese sandwich, lol. But when I tasted it at home, it was stronger than I wanted. :confused: So, I grilled it with thin pear slices inside the sandwich, and that calmed it down a bit. I like to dip classic grilled cheese in ketchup, but for this version I made a dip of honey, apricot preserves, and siracha. Thumbs up to that combo. Served with the remainder of the pear, walnuts, and raisins. Probably wouldn't use that cheese again like this, but it all worked out and I ate it up. ;)

2023 1107 lunch.jpg

^ That plate looks delicious! I've never had truffle cheese. Will have to look for it next time I'm in the market.
I remember absolutely loving it when we were out to eat. We knew the waitress from going to the restaurant so often (pre-pandemic, alas) and she brought it to the table and said, "you have to try this!" It was sooo good. The version I bought today was not so good, lol. It's okay.

jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members