Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I made Turkey Divan that also included some leftover chicken breast from a Costco rotisserie chicken that we had last week. Two large broccoli crowns, the turkey and chicken breasts, a combination of turkey and chicken stocks for the sauce that also included Pinconning cheese. Layered in large lasagna casserole pan, topped with Parmesan and panko. We each had a serving for dinner last night, and there is a lot left for a few more meals.

We got about 1.5" of snow yesterday, and it is dark, dreary, and very cold today with some flurries. A typical winter day in southeastern Michigan.
No way, keep your snow over there lol! We get your weather as I am in SW Ontario. It goes right across the great lakes into my yard :confused::)

I finally used up the last of my turkey last night. I had made turkey sandwiches, turkey salad sandwiches, salad with shredded turkey, spiced pecans and cran-raspberry vinaigrette, turkey shepards pie and finally turkey enchiladas verde. Not sure when I’ll be eating turkey again.

We are close to getting out of camper and into a real kitchen again. Local market has 50# bag of russet potatoes for $20 and I would love to pick up a bag to freeze dry for instant potatoes. Hopefully this weekend we’ll move in and I can get back to doing things other than painting and working.

Kiddo used most of the Tday leftovers to make 3 lunch meals for the freezer. She doesn’t like rutabagas. I’ll freeze those for me. She is in the kitchen making homemade bagels now.

I’m being a slug after treatment. I took a long nap today. I’ve been grazing, altho I did have a decent salad for lunch. I know there’s a trace of nutrition in there somewhere.

Metal mouth snacks today have so far been “eclectic” shall we say. It’s a rule you deserve chocolate in exchange for torture. Picking up your favorite takeout is too. Just sayin’ LOL!

Lunch
Pita’s Republic
Mediterranean salad with warm rice & warm chicken on top of Romaine with Greek olives, feta cheese & tzatziki.

Snack
A glass of milk.
Bites of a Milky Way candy bar.
Bites of a Hershey Bar.

Dinner
A small Naan bread & hummus.
A mini loaf of pumpkin banana bread.
Some Veggie Poppers with sea salt. The Ranch flavor is too strong.

Oh, it was 54 degrees in Tampa and 59 degrees in Sarasota. I’m certain you can hear my pathetic whining across the planet.

I brought my seedlings in to the lanai and covered them. It’s going to be mid 40s tonight.

ETA: photo of bagels

Attachments

• IMG_2184.jpeg
    IMG_2184.jpeg
    83.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Kiddo used most of the Tday leftovers to make 3 lunch meals for the freezer. She doesn’t like rutabagas. I’ll freeze those for me. She is in the kitchen making homemade bagels now.

I’m being a slug after treatment. I took a long nap today. I’ve been grazing, altho I did have a decent salad for lunch. I know there’s a trace of nutrition in there somewhere.

Metal mouth snacks today have so far been “eclectic” shall we say. It’s a rule you deserve chocolate in exchange for torture. Picking up your favorite takeout is too. Just sayin’ LOL!

Lunch
Pita’s Republic
Mediterranean salad with warm rice & warm chicken on top of Romaine with Greek olives, feta cheese & tzatziki.

Snack
A glass of milk.
Bites of a Milky Way candy bar.
Bites of a Hershey Bar.

Dinner
A small Naan bread & hummus.
A mini loaf of pumpkin banana bread.
Some Veggie Poppers with sea salt. The Ranch flavor is too strong.

Oh, it was 54 degrees in Tampa and 59 degrees in Sarasota. I’m certain you can hear my pathetic whining across the planet.

I brought my seedlings in to the lanai and covered them. It’s going to be mid 40s tonight.

ETA: photo of bagels
The Mediterranean salad sounds delicious. And you certainly deserve whatever snacks you want when you are dealing with post-treatment metal mouth.

A long time ago, maybe in the 90s, I developed metal mouth for no reason that I could tell. I tried various things to counter it but with no success, then started chewing on cinnamon sticks, but they burned my tongue. Eventually the metal mouth went away, but I never knew what caused it. Anyway, I'm sorry you have to deal with this every month.

I finally used up the last of my turkey last night. I had made turkey sandwiches, turkey salad sandwiches, salad with shredded turkey, spiced pecans and cran-raspberry vinaigrette, turkey shepards pie and finally turkey enchiladas verde. Not sure when I’ll be eating turkey again.

We are close to getting out of camper and into a real kitchen again. Local market has 50# bag of russet potatoes for $20 and I would love to pick up a bag to freeze dry for instant potatoes. Hopefully this weekend we’ll move in and I can get back to doing things other than painting and working.
I hope you'll be able to move in soon and have a real kitchen to cook in again! How long have you been staying in the camper?

I‘m reading up on growing micro greens. Has anyone ever grown them?
I was planning on growing alfalfa sprouts, but may change my mind or do both.

I think I’m liking this grow kit.

And this salad.

And this salad.
Years ago my husband grew sprouts. It was great to have the fresh food handy. He took care of them, not me, so I don't have any advice, but I do recall you need to keep an eye on them so they don't go bad.

Give it a try!

And this salad.
Yes, they are fun to grow and eat. Sunflower seeds are my favorite.

The WDIV (Detroit) search for the best burger continues. I'm enjoying this feature even though I'm not a burger fan and don't order them in restaurants because most are too messy. Also, with so many new varieties of buns and house aiolis/sauces, I can't be sure whether or not dairy components might cause digestive issues. When we have burgers at home, I put blue cheese on mine and like my burger medium rare, on grilled rye bread, with mayo, lettuce but no tomato.

Here is the first feature in the series. The second is posted upthread.

Playing the winter movement from Vivaldi's The Four Seasons on my violin :D The high in metro Detroit yesterday was 28* with a wind chill factor in the upper teens. Overnight low was in the teens with single digit wind chills. There were snow flurries and occasional snow showers around much of the day with a few breaks of sunshine.

I hope you recover quickly from the side effects of your treatment. I'm sending a virtual box of Godiva chocolates. We bought several at Costco to give to the special people in our lives: housekeeper, hair stylist, nail salon, etc. You deserve one, too :)

The WDIV (Detroit) search for the best burger continues. I'm enjoying this feature even though I'm not a burger fan and don't order them in restaurants because most are too messy. Also, with so many new varieties of buns and house aiolis/sauces, I can't be sure whether or not dairy components might cause digestive issues. When we have burgers at home, I put blue cheese on mine and like my burger medium rare, on grilled rye bread, with mayo, lettuce but no tomato.

Here is the first feature in the series. The second is posted upthread.
My problem with all of these gourmet burgers, is they’re so huge. I can’t bite into a burger that big, and don’t want to eat it with a knife and fork. I guess I prefer a simple old fashioned standard sized burger.

Even though it’s fast food, my favorite here is Whataburger. I usually get the Jr. Double, so less bread more meat, lol.
In Hot Springs , the Ohio Club has a really good burger, even though it’s a little thicker than I prefer.

Playing the winter movement from Vivaldi's The Four Seasons on my violin :D The high in metro Detroit yesterday was 28* with a wind chill factor in the upper teens. Overnight low was in the teens with single digit wind chills. There were snow flurries and occasional snow showers around much of the day with a few breaks of sunshine.

I hope you recover quickly from the side effects of your treatment. I'm sending a virtual box of Godiva chocolates. We bought several at Costco to give to the special people in our lives: housekeeper, hair stylist, nail salon, etc. You deserve one, too :)
I was watching the Detroit live feed of the boat stuck in the river yesterday. Not the place I would want to be in the cold. Pass a hot cup of tea.

My problem with all of these gourmet burgers, is they’re so huge. I can’t bite into a burger that big, and don’t want to eat it with a knife and fork. I prefer a simple old fashioned standard sized burger.
Even though it’s fast food, my favorite here is Whataburger. In Hot Springs , the Ohio Club has a really good burger, even though it’s a little thicker than I prefer.

I agree! So many burgers in restaurants are way too big. When that happens, I cut in half but it still can be too cumbersome to really relax and enjoy it.

Sometimes, though, I really crave a restaurant burger with fries.

I hope you'll be able to move in soon and have a real kitchen to cook in again! How long have you been staying in the camper?
15 months we’ve been in the camper. It’s a destination camper so 42’ long and has 2 bedrooms and 2 baths with common living area so it’s not horrible. Still will be nice to be able to soak in a hot bath and cook in real kitchen. I’m already using the washer and dryer which means instead of 8 small loads on the weekends I can get all the laundry done in 3 loads in full sized units.

The turkey enchiladas were really good in the air fryer, definitely will be making those again with leftover chicken.

I’ve been trying to do high protein diet lately, getting 100-120 grams of protein per day so I’ve been having a vanilla protein shake with a shot of espresso in it for breakfast. It’s sort of like a latte but I get 30 grams of protein. Helps cut the sweetness of the protein shake too.

My problem with all of these gourmet burgers, is they’re so huge. I can’t bite into a burger that big, and don’t want to eat it with a knife and fork. I guess I prefer a simple old fashioned standard sized burger.
Exactly, and most are very messy - dripping with butter, cheese, special sauce, etc. Brioche buns are popular these days, and they are made with butter and milk. Way too much dairy for my digestive system :eek: Even at home, I cut my burger in half and usually save the other half for lunch the next day. Maybe we'll have burgers tonight. We're tired of eating Turkey Divan.

15 months we’ve been in the camper. It’s a destination camper so 42’ long and has 2 bedrooms and 2 baths with common living area so it’s not horrible. Still will be nice to be able to soak in a hot bath and cook in real kitchen. I’m already using the washer and dryer which means instead of 8 small loads on the weekends I can get all the laundry done in 3 loads in full sized units.

The turkey enchiladas were really good in the air fryer, definitely will be making those again with leftover chicken.

I’ve been trying to do high protein diet lately, getting 100-120 grams of protein per day so I’ve been having a vanilla protein shake with a shot of espresso in it for breakfast. It’s sort of like a latte but I get 30 grams of protein. Helps cut the sweetness of the protein shake too.
That's a long time! I was picturing a smaller camper...it sounds more like a small house!

I agree! So many burgers in restaurants are way too big. When that happens, I cut in half but it still can be too cumbersome to really relax and enjoy it.

Sometimes, though, I really crave a restaurant burger with fries.
I had a black bean veggie burger at a restaurant yesterday that was so tall I had to cut in half and still take it apart to eat it.

Attachments

• IMG_2718.jpeg
    IMG_2718.jpeg
    132.7 KB · Views: 9
I had a black bean veggie burger at a restaurant yesterday that was so tall I had to cut in half and still take it apart to eat it.
I don't know who the diners are that these burgers are made for. Big men with giant jaws? Instagram photo? :) :)

How was the veggie burger? They can be hit or miss, in my experience. I don't like it when they are mushy.

I’m in agreement with y’all on the oversized burgers with fancy buns. I want a regular burger on a regular bun. I prefer my homemade burgers but if I get a fast food burger I’m a fan of Sonic. It might not be a popular choice but I like them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassie.ryan18