Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m surprised at the number of those places I’ve eaten at for best fast food. Husband is from Kansas (Wichita) and he’s driven me across town to Spangles. Taco John’s is in MN as well and I used to eat there growing up. They had these spicy tots that were called potato olé but we called them potato Ole (like Ole and Sven jokes, that’s funnier when said out loud than typing it out). Taco John’s also does advertising on the NDSU games we still watch (my alma mater) they have a line that says “But first we taco..” and I’ve been trying to get my husband a shirt. Being in Texas now I used to love Whataburger before I went gluten free. Their Jr burger with onion rings was a favorite. There are a handful of others I’ve eaten at over the years, Waffle House being a particular favorite off that list.
When we lived in Illinois there was a Taco John’s location just outside our neighborhood. We used to go there regularly for breakfast, the breakfast Potato Ole’ has delicious scrambled eggs mixed in with the potatoes, mild poblano peppers, onions, fresh tomatoes, and topped with a blend of four cheeses.

I’m surprised at the number of those places I’ve eaten at for best fast food. Husband is from Kansas (Wichita) and he’s driven me across town to Spangles. Taco John’s is in MN as well and I used to eat there growing up. They had these spicy tots that were called potato olé but we called them potato Ole (like Ole and Sven jokes, that’s funnier when said out loud than typing it out). Taco John’s also does advertising on the NDSU games we still watch (my alma mater) they have a line that says “But first we taco..” and I’ve been trying to get my husband a shirt. Being in Texas now I used to love Whataburger before I went gluten free. Their Jr burger with onion rings was a favorite. There are a handful of others I’ve eaten at over the years, Waffle House being a particular favorite off that list.
Lena likes those spicy spuds with walleye, doncha know. She likes a spicy Ole too! (I have Minnesota branches in my family tree. Birch branches, of course.)

My first job, at sixteen, was at Taco Johns!

Speaking of fast-food establishments, did you know that McDonald's has "adult" Happy Meals? When DH and I saw a feature during the evening news a couple of nights ago, we wondered if the meal boxes come with alcohol - for a real "happy" meal :D

This is truly the most wonderful time of the year – and not just because of the holiday cheer, getting a daily chocolate fix from our advent calendar, and the return of Mariah Carey to her chilly seasonal throne. On top of all of that, McDonald’s is bringing back its “adult” Happy Meals, complete with one of six different toys that you can prop up on the corner of your desk...

Last edited:
I actually took chicken breast out of the freezer last night and put it in the fridge to thaw. I normally marinate my chicken in Kraft Zesty Italian Dressing for a day, then grill it.

I checked my brand new bottle of it and it expired in March. But it's never been opened and it's been in the fridge the entire time. Now I'm in a quandary, do I go buy a new bottle or use the existing one???

The chicken probably won't be thawed until tomorrow so I'll have to mull that over today.
I do the sniff test to see if I detect a rancid oil smell.
I like chicken breast marinated and grilled like that, too. Yum.

Speaking of fast-food establishments, did you know that McDonald's has "adult" Happy Meals? When DH and I saw a feature during the evening news a couple of nights ago, we wondered if the meal boxes come with alcohol - for a real "happy" meal :D

This is truly the most wonderful time of the year – and not just because of the holiday cheer, getting a daily chocolate fix from our advent calendar, and the return of Mariah Carey to her chilly seasonal throne. On top of all of that, McDonald’s is bringing back its “adult” Happy Meals, complete with one of six different toys that you can prop up on the corner of your desk...

McDonald’s has their Holiday Pies for a few short weeks in November and December. I don’t really care for McDonald’s except for their Filet o Fish and Holiday Pies.

Attachments

• IMG_2749.jpeg
    IMG_2749.jpeg
    48.8 KB · Views: 10
My first job, at sixteen, was at Taco Johns!
Nice! In Indiana we only have two Taco John’s locations, neither one is near where live. I do like to stop there if I am traveling nearby.

I have often mentioned to people that I wish we had a Taco John’s location in our area. More than a few times I have heard, “It’s just like Taco Bell” but I set them straight in a hurry.

McDonald’s has their Holiday Pies for a few short weeks in November and December. I don’t really care for McDonald’s except for their Filet o Fish and Holiday Pies.
McDonald’s hand pies used to be deep fried rather than baked, and I think they were much tastier then, too.

I was in Japan this past summer, and everything at their McD’s tasted way better than here (US), and even looked better! The buns seemed fluffier, or maybe they wrap it so it doesn’t get squooshed. The pies were still the fried type, too.

I do the sniff test to see if I detect a rancid oil smell.
I like chicken breast marinated and grilled like that, too. Yum.
I opened it and it smelled normal. So I put the chicken in it and I’ve turned it once. It still smelled normal thankfully.

Now if the 14MPH winds would die down, I could light the grill.

McDonald’s hand pies used to be deep fried rather than baked, and I think they were much tastier then, too.

I was in Japan this past summer, and everything at their McD’s tasted way better than here (US), and even looked better! The buns seemed fluffier, or maybe they wrap it so it doesn’t get squooshed. The pies were still the fried type, too.
McDonald’s used to use beef tallow to fry their French fries too, and they tasted much better too. I don’t care for their fries now and if I am craving fries there are much better places to get them.

I broiled Tbone steaks like my mother used to. I'll not do that again. The steaks turned out great but the smoke was the deterrent. I'm wondering what I did wrong . I don't remember the smoke being a nuisance.

I broiled Tbone steaks like my mother used to. I'll not do that again. The steaks turned out great but the smoke was the deterrent. I'm wondering what I did wrong . I don't remember the smoke being a nuisance.
My mom used to broil steaks in the oven. We must have had a really good exhaust fan because I remember the smoke going straight up and outside.

My parent got a nice big grill some years later, and that was the end of the oven broiled steaks.

My mom used to broil steaks in the oven. We must have had a really good exhaust fan because I remember the smoke going straight up and outside.

My parent got a nice big grill some years later, and that was the end of the oven broiled steaks.
That's it!! The fan isn't vented to the outside. This house is really old. Going to get a smokeless grill for the winter time.

That's it!! The fan isn't vented to the outside. This house is really old. Going to get a smokeless grill for the winter time.
One of the best purchases we ever made a couple years ago was a Power XL indoor
Smokeless grill-- we use it quite often during the winter to grill stakes and chicken--

Smokeless grill-- we use it quite often during the winter to grill stakes and chicken--
NO WAY!! I was just looking at that one a couple of weeks ago. Either it or a ninja.
Is yours hard to clean? I want to know all about your experience!

My place was built in the 1920s, no vent at all over the oven/stove. When the smoke alarm goes off, we know dinner is done. (Not really....but kinda true.)

My place was built in the 1920s, no vent at all over the oven/stove. When the smoke alarm goes off, we know dinner is done. (Not really....but kinda true.)
I really miss the vent to the outside. I didn't think to have one installed in the kitchen remodel. I have a griddle outside for bacon and such.

My house was built in 1949. I'm the third owner and today I got mail for Mary Gabby who was the original owner. When I bought the house it came with a spirit that seemed protective of me. My neighbor told me Mr. Gabby died and it was probably his spirit. The owners I bought the house from , the husband was physically abusive of his wife. I've always wondered if that is why the spirit let me know he was there.

Chicken Cesar Salad with homegrown Romaine Lettuce, Little Gem Lettuce & Malabar Spinach. Marinated & grilled 2 big chicken breasts, which I cut down. It is so good!!!

Attachments

• IMG_2228.jpeg
    IMG_2228.jpeg
    166.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2238.jpeg
    IMG_2238.jpeg
    155.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2239.jpeg
    IMG_2239.jpeg
    85.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2241.jpeg
    IMG_2241.jpeg
    99.5 KB · Views: 21
I am curious about your indoor grill. We grill a lot outside - all four seasons. Is your indoor grill able to create the caramelized grill marks and the taste an outdoor grill adds?

Might need to add this to my Christmas list.

Really Santa, I've been very good this year!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay