Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think these “Best in every state” compilations are interesting although I always take them with a grain of salt.

For example, Indiana’s best on this list is Schoop’s Hamburgers, which only has locations in the far northern part of the state.

Kentucky’s is Fazoli’s, which has headquarters in Lexington, KY. It is a nationwide chain that has over 200 locations.
Yeah, not sure how they choose the “best”.
Interesting to me, Milo’s in Alabama. I didn’t know it was a restaurant :p I just knew the tea. We buy the Milo’s Zero calorie sweet tea at Walmart.

Best fast food restaurant in my state, also my favorite , is Whataburger .
Whats yours?
This is my town's claim to fame in the burger department. They have tasty fries too. It's not fast though.
Edit to add: the wall is COVERED with pictures of people who have completed the challenge.

Featured on Man vs Food.
Whats yours?

Last edited:
I've only been to National Coney Island once, for breakfast, and at the suburban location at a shopping center in Rochester Hills. Never been to any of the downtown Detroit Coneys and never had a Coney dog.

It was too cold for DH to grill outdoors on Wednesday, so we had matzoh ball soup instead (from a box). We had burgers last night: Mine was perfectly medium rare, stuffed with melty blue cheese, topped with lettuce, mayo, on grilled rye bread. I ate only half and will finish for lunch.

I put turkey drumsticks, wings, and other dark meat in the slow cooker for stock. Added veggies and fresh herbs, seasonings, and covered with water. I'll let it simmer for several hours before straining and storing in the fridge for soup.

Yesterday I made a batch of white chocolate/dried cherry/pecan clusters. I'll make another batch over the weekend. The recipe was shared by killarney rose last holiday season (with dried cranberries).

Yeah, not sure how they choose the “best”.
Interesting to me, Milo’s in Alabama. I didn’t know it was a restaurant :p I just knew the tea. We buy the Milo’s Zero calorie sweet tea at Walmart.
They mailed it for California. I’ve frequently worked in CA for weeks at a time and I know
In-n-Out Burger is the favorite.

I noticed this video and thought the cookie sounds yummy and the frosting technique looked fun to try, though I would do traditional Christmas colors for a holiday cookie (and maybe different colors for another holiday). Have you done a multi-color pour like this?

Do you say frosting or icing? I usually say frosting.

I think that link will work to get to the video, but if it doesn't let me know and I'll post a "share" link.

ETA: My comments are about the first cookie at the link, with the colorful frosting. I haven't looked at the rest of the list yet.

Last edited:
I noticed this video and thought the cookie sounds yummy and the frosting technique looked fun to try, though I would do traditional Christmas colors for a holiday cookie (and maybe different colors for another holiday). Have you done a multi-color pour like this?

I think that link will work to get to the video, but if it doesn't let me know and I'll post a "share" link.

ETA: My comments are about the first cookie at the link, with the colorful frosting. I haven't looked at the rest of the list yet.
It won't let me see the article :(

My great aunt used to bake dozens of trays of different Christmas cookies. Nanaimo bars, meringues, rum balls, fudge, shortbread, sugar cookies... there were more that I can't recall. She decorated them all too, each of us would get a tray for Christmas.

Hmm, I say frosting when it's thick like a cupcake but icing when it's thinner. But frosting a cake is not the same as decorating a cookie... I really have no idea :p

Whats yours?
NC's is Cook Out. I have never had their food, but we hardly ever eat fast food.

Back when I was reading cookbooks when my friends were reading romance novels I learned about icing vs frosting.

According to the cookbooks “icing” is thinner and dries to a glaze. It generally tastes more sugary.

“Frosting” is thicker and more creamy. It it fluffy and buttery.

Amazing and stunning! And I'll never try doing that!

They mailed it for California. I’ve frequently worked in CA for weeks at a time and I know
In-n-Out Burger is the favorite.
Yeah, we have an In-n-Out Burger place, but …..
But then again, it was competing with the local Icon, Whataburger.
It is strange how regional tastes differ.

Last edited:
Back when I was reading cookbooks when my friends were reading romance novels I learned about icing vs frosting.

According to the cookbooks “icing” is thinner and dries to a glaze. It generally tastes more sugary.

“Frosting” is thicker and more creamy. It it fluffy and buttery.
Aha! I speculations were correct.

Except I thought a glaze was more watery and thin while icing is thicker but not as thick as frosting?

Here are some links to cookies with the different types of sugar coating: (which all look very delicious btw)
Sugar Cookie Icing
Sugar Cookie Frosting
Glazed Lemon Cookies - Two Peas & Their Pod

Aha! I speculations were correct.

Except I thought a glaze was more watery and thin while icing is thicker but not as thick as frosting?

Here are some links to cookies with the different types of sugar coating: (which all look very delicious btw)
Sugar Cookie Icing
Sugar Cookie Frosting
Glazed Lemon Cookies - Two Peas & Their Pod
Ah yes, I now recall the differentiations. I still will likely call icing "frosting," but the thin glaze is "glaze." I like all of it, but the ratio has to be just right. Not too much!

Okay, let's try the "share" link (I didn't know if recipes were different than regular NYTimes articles - recipes should be automatically shareable, imo!)

My eye is on the technicolor cookie - haven't even gotten past that to look at the others!

I tried to see the recipes for the technicolor cookie and the gingerbread blondies but when I click on “view the recipe” it goes to a link to subscribe.

I tried to see the recipes for the technicolor cookie and the gingerbread blondies but when I click on “view the recipe” it goes to a link to subscribe.
Ugh - so sorry!

The recipe is for a shortbread cookie, seems rather standard. For the frosting/icing, it calls for making royal icing, which is white. Separate the icing into bowls and add food coloring. Then gently put the colors into one bowl, but don't mix them - let them be separate colors as you pour over the cookies. I think it would look nice with Christmas colors of white, green, red.

Here's a screenshot:

Screenshot (43).png

Ugh - so sorry!

The recipe is for a shortbread cookie, seems rather standard. For the frosting/icing, it calls for making royal icing, which is white. Separate the icing into bowls and add food coloring. Then gently put the colors into one bowl, but don't mix them - let them be separate colors as you pour over the cookies. I think it would look nice with Christmas colors of white, green, red.

Here's a screenshot:

View attachment 465336
One hint they had for the icing (I'm now using that word....what is happening?!):

Let the icing sit for about 30 minutes before putting on the cookies. That will allow air bubbles to surface, which you can then pop. Otherwise, the air bubbles will appear on the cookies 30 minutes after you frost them. I've had that happen, and I'm glad to learn a trick to avoid the bubbles (not that anyone probably ever noticed the bubbles).

Ah yes, I now recall the differentiations. I still will likely call icing "frosting," but the thin glaze is "glaze." I like all of it, but the ratio has to be just right. Not too much!
True story: When I was 5 and just learning to read, I practiced “sounding out” letters on everything I could find.

I saw a recipe in the newspaper for “Oatmeal Cookies with Icing” and since it was just a newspaper recipe there was no picture. I sounded out the word cookies easily but the word “Icing” I sounded out as “Icking” and I wondered why anyone would put something “icky” on cookies. I showed it to my mom who had a good laugh.

By age 5 I had probably never had cookies with icing, as my mom always made drop cookies like chocolate chip, M&M, etc. And I knew cake frosting and cupcake frosting but didn’t know the word icing.

Ugh - so sorry!

Here's a screenshot:

View attachment 465336

Thank you! They are beautiful cookies.

I’m surprised at the number of those places I’ve eaten at for best fast food. Husband is from Kansas (Wichita) and he’s driven me across town to Spangles. Taco John’s is in MN as well and I used to eat there growing up. They had these spicy tots that were called potato olé but we called them potato Ole (like Ole and Sven jokes, that’s funnier when said out loud than typing it out). Taco John’s also does advertising on the NDSU games we still watch (my alma mater) they have a line that says “But first we taco..” and I’ve been trying to get my husband a shirt. Being in Texas now I used to love Whataburger before I went gluten free. Their Jr burger with onion rings was a favorite. There are a handful of others I’ve eaten at over the years, Waffle House being a particular favorite off that list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BootsMinor