Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now I want to run out and get a Tim Horton's donut--- they are yummy
So are Krispy Kreme (I forget how to spell it lol). We don't have one in my city anymore but oh man, when they did...!

Also, those little fried donuts you get at the fair! The ones that go down the little trough and they put sugar all over them?

Hubby and I did some Christmas food shopping today. As we were out, I tried to remember where the "best" hamburger joint was from the list posted here. My brain couldn't remember, bummer! (I know I could pull up the info on my phone, but I didn't.)

It must be Santa Con in the city because even in the morning, we saw many people in Santa clothes on the bar-hopping circuit.
oops, I forgot to mention what we bought on our food run. My daughter is a tea drinker and requested some tea for a Christmas gift. We went to an Indian shop that has a gigantic selection of tea - any kind you could even imagine. I selected a few varieties based on how pretty they are, lol, and then some standard kinds too.

For ourselves, we purchased some spices. And, we bought pieces of baklava as a treat. YUM! We ate the baklava in the park with a cup of coffee before running other less-fun errands.

Charcuterie boards, eggnog, candy: For many, the holiday season means indulging in these types of unhealthy treats.

But doctors and nutritionists say that in their own lives, what they generally avoid are beverages and processed foods that contain high levels of added sugar and salt.

NBC News spoke with nine health experts — doctors, registered dietitians and nutrition professors — about their approaches to a healthy diet. Nearly all said they try to replace items like cookies, crackers and deli meats with vegetables, fruits and whole grains.

“I really try to do a whole foods approach,” said Jaimie Davis, a registered dietitian and professor of nutritional sciences at the University of Texas at Austin. “My rule is that if I’m having dinner or lunch, I’m trying to make everything not come out of a package. So that could be chicken breasts with broccoli and rice.”

Here’s how the experts determine what to avoid...

I don’t believe in complete avoidance but in moderation. Yesterday I baked a batch of Christmas cookies. Part of them went into a pretty container to take to a potluck today. The rest went into the freezer to be used for two more events closer to Christmas. Last night DH and I each had one for dessert after dinner.

Charcuterie boards, eggnog, candy: For many, the holiday season means indulging in these types of unhealthy treats.

But doctors and nutritionists say that in their own lives, what they generally avoid are beverages and processed foods that contain high levels of added sugar and salt.

NBC News spoke with nine health experts — doctors, registered dietitians and nutrition professors — about their approaches to a healthy diet. Nearly all said they try to replace items like cookies, crackers and deli meats with vegetables, fruits and whole grains.

“I really try to do a whole foods approach,” said Jaimie Davis, a registered dietitian and professor of nutritional sciences at the University of Texas at Austin. “My rule is that if I’m having dinner or lunch, I’m trying to make everything not come out of a package. So that could be chicken breasts with broccoli and rice.”

Here’s how the experts determine what to avoid...
Don't come after my eggnog.

;)

I don’t believe in complete avoidance but in moderation. Yesterday I baked a batch of Christmas cookies. Part of them went into a pretty container to take to a potluck today. The rest went into the freezer to be used for two more events closer to Christmas. Last night DH and I each had one for dessert after dinner.
The holiday foods are a "change of scenery" and a change of scenery is good for mental health, imo. It's not fun to overindulge to the point of gluttony, but it's okay to enjoy ourselves. It's meant to be a joyful season.

Absolutely! Moderation is key. Many, if not most people only in indulge in holiday treats during the holiday season. Food plays a major role in holiday celebrations and traditions and contributes to the wonderful memories we have about holidays past.

DH makes latkes once a year, usually on the first night of Hanukkah. He makes about two dozen that we enjoy for several days, and that's it. When we used to attend annual Hanukkah parties, every hostess served the traditional potato pancakes. After two or three nights of latkes, it got tiresome, and we didn't even enjoy the crispy latkes any more.

As long as people don't overindulge all year long, there's no harm in enjoying special seasonal eats and treats during the holiday season.

I used to love eggnog during the holidays, but I can't have it any more :( My mom used to make eggnog during the holidays that was so much better than the stuff that comes in a carton in the dairy aisle.
The only people in my family growing up who liked eggnog were my mom, grandma, and I. My mom would serve it in what I considered fancy wine glasses. I have such fun memories of the three of us drinking our fancy drinks together. (The rest of the year we drank coffee together, my grandma started me on coffee when I was 5yo! Experts would probably scold, but I was happy to join the coffee culture in our family.)

In my family now, only my son and I like eggnog so I buy it when he visits for the holidays and also serve in wine glasses. I think it would be hard to over-indulge as it's so sweet and rich - just a small serving is enough. By the end of the season, I am DONE and don't want it again until the next holiday.

I did find out my husband will drink eggnog in tea, so that's a new way for me to enjoy it with someone else.

Several years ago at a holiday party, my neighbors brought homemade spiked eggnog. I think I'm still hungover, lol! I did overindulge in that....and don't want to do that again. It sure was tasty. :)

Eggnog with a splash of spiced rum and/or whiskey! Alternately, apple cider with a splash of Fireball.

My gran gets eggnog from a local creamery, it is the best, richest, thickest eggnog I've ever had! My aunt puts a ton of liquor in it, I don't know what kind but it is potent.

I wouldn't want to put anything too greasy in the waffle iron. There's no where for the fat to drip off. I have seen people put a hash brown, a piece of bread, an egg and veggies in a waffle iron.

I also saw someone take some puff pastry and put it into the sandwich press with some nutella and jam in the middle. That looked good!

Tonight’s one skillet meal on my hot plate was cod with green rice. I made the green rice by pureeing 1 cup spinach, 1 cup cilantro, 1 jalapeno (stem cut off but seeds remained) and 1 cup water . Then I pulled 2 tablespoons of that off to side and whisked in 1/2 cup mayo and some lime juice. Then sauteed some cod that was seasoned with chili pepper and salt in nonstick until lightly browned in some vegetable oil. Pulled cod from pan and added 2 chopped poblanos. Cooked those until lightly browned then added garlic and some scallion whites. Cook til fragrant. Add 1.5 cups of rinsed long grain rice, 1.5 cups chicken stock and reserved puree. Bring to boil and cook covered until liquid is absorbed. Remove lid and add cod on top. Replace lid and cook cod until done. Sprinkle with scallion tops and drizzle with the mayo puree mixture. The rice was really good and something I think I’ll make pretty routinely.

If you love cranberries (and have a Costco membership) I found the best cranberry goat cheese. They were giving samples of this cheese at Costco, sliced and served on baguette slices.

I loved the sample so I bought the cheese and baguettes and served for appetizers a few times. Everyone loved it.

I’ve purchased Trader Joe’s cranberry goat cheese but it only contains a small amount of cranberries but this is totally covered in cranberries.

Attachments

• IMG_2838.jpeg
    IMG_2838.jpeg
    120.3 KB · Views: 7
So are Krispy Kreme (I forget how to spell it lol). We don't have one in my city anymore but oh man, when they did...!

Also, those little fried donuts you get at the fair! The ones that go down the little trough and they put sugar all over them?

Tomorrow 12/12 Krispie Kreme is offering a dozen donuts for $1 with purchase of a dozen.

The only people in my family growing up who liked eggnog were my mom, grandma, and I. My mom would serve it in what I considered fancy wine glasses. I have such fun memories of the three of us drinking our fancy drinks together. (The rest of the year we drank coffee together, my grandma started me on coffee when I was 5yo! Experts would probably scold, but I was happy to join the coffee culture in our family.)

In my family now, only my son and I like eggnog so I buy it when he visits for the holidays and also serve in wine glasses. I think it would be hard to over-indulge as it's so sweet and rich - just a small serving is enough. By the end of the season, I am DONE and don't want it again until the next holiday.

I did find out my husband will drink eggnog in tea, so that's a new way for me to enjoy it with someone else.

Several years ago at a holiday party, my neighbors brought homemade spiked eggnog. I think I'm still hungover, lol! I did overindulge in that....and don't want to do that again. It sure was tasty. :)
I worked at a small town bank for a couple of years right after my high school graduation. They made huge pans of gingerbread and had eggnog and hot wassail every Christmas season , for all customers and employees. The egg nog was spiked with rum for employees . That’s the only time I recall drinking egg nog, and it was good and tasty but quite rich. The rum gave it that extra special something, lol.
Yeah, we’re talking a long time ago, back in the mid ‘70’s. Dang I’m old!

Last edited:
If you love cranberries (and have a Costco membership) I found the best cranberry goat cheese. They were giving samples of this cheese at Costco, sliced and served on baguette slices.

I loved the sample so I bought the cheese and baguettes and served for appetizers a few times. Everyone loved it.

I’ve purchased Trader Joe’s cranberry goat cheese but it only contains a small amount of cranberries but this is totally covered in cranberries.
I'm adding this to our Costco list. Nino's carries a 4oz package of goat cheese with cranberries, but it's mostly cheese with a few bits of cranberry. I love goat cheese, and it doesn't cause digestive problems :) I've written cranberries on the Nino's list and will get several bags before the season ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member