Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm adding this to our Costco list. Nino's carries a 4oz package of goat cheese with cranberries, but it's mostly cheese with a few bits of cranberry. I love goat cheese, and it doesn't cause digestive problems :) I've written cranberries on the Nino's list and will get several bags before the season ends.

I love cranberries but most of the baked goods like muffins have few cranberries and too much sugar, IMO. I have found it is better to bake my own.

Are we doing cranberry cheeses? This is my fave.
IMG_20231213_022818.jpg
Also bought these two, which are personal faves.

IMG_20231213_022811.jpg
These are the three we bought in anticipation of New Year at our friends place.

Not pictured, because we haven't bought it yet, our other big fave is Godminster, which comes coated in red wax and shaped like a heart. It's really something, if you like sharp vintage cheddars.

Partner might also get a brie or camembert or something like that. I'm not into the soft cheeses like that, but she is.

View attachment 467552

View attachment 467553

Not pictured, because we haven't bought it yet, our other big fave is Godminster, which comes coated in red wax and shaped like a heart. It's really something, if you like sharp vintage cheddars.

Partner might also get a brie or camembert or something like that. I'm not into the soft cheeses like that, but she is.
We have a mini tradition of fried cheese on New Year's Day. I say "mini" tradition because sometimes we forget, lol.

View attachment 467552

View attachment 467553

We’ve had the Wensleydale cranberry cheese and it is good.

For the first time at Aldi I bought white cheddar with cranberries. It’s so good.
We have a new Aldi store in a nearby town, so maybe I should go and check it out. But there are three grocery stores within a few miles of our house so I rarely pass them up to go elsewhere.

There is a bakery in the same town that has delicious cranberry-orange bread and scones this time of year. But if I buy it, I eat it...

I call this type of meal Lunch Assemblage. A little bit of this, a little bit of that, assembled in a bowl.

Leftover brown rice with wild rice, cooked in broth, and collard greens, kidney beans, sweet peas, onions. Topped with grated pecorino romano. Served with sliced leftover baked tofu, spicy pickles, fava bean salad, black & green olives, mandarin oranges, and snow peas.

Dessert: candy cane.

20231212_131643-1 (1).jpg

The 5-pound bags of "Aviator Sundried Tomato Halves"—prepared by Global Veg Corp and distributed nationwide—weren't properly labeled, meaning the sulfites were undeclared on the packaging, making them a potential safety hazard.

ETA: The original source from Newsweek. I guess MSN likes being an internet spider. <insert eye roll>

While most people can consume sulfites without any problems, about 1 in 100 people suffer from sulfite sensitivity, according to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The National Library of Medicine, a government agency, says people with sulfite sensitivity may suffer mild symptoms, such as flushing, abdominal pain and diarrhea—but in the most severe cases they can suffer life-threatening anaphylactic and asthmatic reactions.

Last edited:

The 5-pound bags of "Aviator Sundried Tomato Halves"—prepared by Global Veg Corp and distributed nationwide—weren't properly labeled, meaning the sulfites were undeclared on the packaging, making them a potential safety hazard.

ETA: The original source from Newsweek. I guess MSN likes being an internet spider. <insert eye roll>

While most people can consume sulfites without any problems, about 1 in 100 people suffer from sulfite sensitivity, according to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The National Library of Medicine, a government agency, says people with sulfite sensitivity may suffer mild symptoms, such as flushing, abdominal pain and diarrhea—but in the most severe cases they can suffer life-threatening anaphylactic and asthmatic reactions.
Sulfites can cause me to have a mild asthmatic reaction sometimes. I produce mucus and have to keep clearing my throat for a while.

All the cheese talk reminded me of the Boursin Cheese commercial where the guy keeps sneaking the cheese. Idk why I find it so funny, it makes me lol :D (also their cranberry cheese is nice but a bit salty)

This guy :rolleyes:

I call this type of meal Lunch Assemblage. A little bit of this, a little bit of that, assembled in a bowl.

Leftover brown rice with wild rice, cooked in broth, and collard greens, kidney beans, sweet peas, onions. Topped with grated pecorino romano. Served with sliced leftover baked tofu, spicy pickles, fava bean salad, black & green olives, mandarin oranges, and snow peas.

View attachment 467595
That’s beautiful! I’ve been doing good to get a mini bag of Cheese-Its for lunch the last few days. I just haven’t had time to make lunch. I’m about craving a Whataburger now!

Due to our issue with the undercooked turkey at Thanksgiving, and again, baked potatoes taking way too long to cook a couple of nights ago, we got an oven thermometer. I couldn’t believe it, Our one year old KitchenAid oven is off by 50 degrees! DH says there could be a bad element. Whatever it is I need it fixed.
So I’ll definitely be calling our supplier about that first thing tomorrow.
They have service men who are licensed for the brand.
KitchenAid supposedly has a five year warranty. We’ll see if they stand behind it.

View attachment 467595

Something I have seen on social media sites, a lot of posts and conversations about “Ingredient meals.” People complain about having to put meals together from leftovers and share some of the meals they have come up with using only their leftovers.

Many of the posts complaining about “Ingredient Meals” are from college students. Heck, I would have been happy to have some good leftovers for meals when I was in college. Most of us lived on ramen noodles and generic boxed macarons cheese.

I guess I have relied on “Ingredient Meals” for most of my life, as we make many meals from leftovers I pull together from the refrigerator. In fact, I enjoy the challenge of creating a good meal using a combination of leftover vegetables from the produce drawer, bits of different cheeses, and whatever else I can find.

I grew up on ingredient meals, always served them and continue to. I keep very few convenience and junk foods in my house. Too unhealthy and we don’t need them. I always cook enough for supper that we have leftovers for lunch the following day.

This local cheese shop was featured on WDIV during the 4:00 news yesterday. It's in downtown Rochester, but I'd never heard of it. I will plan on visiting The Cheese Lady sometime soon. I love charcuterie.

Yesterday I went to do some things at my kiddo's new apartment. It is near a McDonald's so I couldn't resist the fish sandwich. I asked if I could get a double with one bun and two patties, no tarter sauce. They did it and it was cheaper than buying an extra sandwich! My months long craving has been satisfied!

I'm headed to the FL east coast this morning to visit family for a long weekend. They host their annual Christmas part this Saturday night. I'm in charge of fudge. I made a 9 x 13 pan of the original Fantasy Fudge with 12 oz of semi sweet chocolate chips. Then cut it up, wrapped it in foil and popped it in the freezer. It is annoying that the bags of chips are now 10 oz instead of 12 oz. I added some from another bag to get the full 12 oz.

We have a lot of party food to make and crock pots to fill. My uncle is making seafood gumbo. I won't be able to eat it due to allergies but everyone raves about it. I will have to take photos. My aunt is a decorator extraordinaire!

In addition to the party, my cousin's favorite Christian singer Jordan St Cyr, is going to be in concert at their church on Friday night. My uncle is working security so we were able to get VIP passes (me, my aunt, my cousin and a parishioner who recently lost her husband). I'm really looking forward to hearing him in person.

Attachments

• IMG_2346.jpeg
    IMG_2346.jpeg
    168.1 KB · Views: 7
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics