Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
We are driving home from Florida today and all the restaurants along the way are closed. We pass three different Buc-ee’s on our route so I think breakfast, lunch, and dinner are going to be at Buc-ee’s since they are open :)

There are some steakhouses that are open, and a few of the national pizza chains but we don’t take time for that when we are traveling home. I have to be back at work tomorrow morning.

Last edited:
We are driving home from Florida today and all the restaurants along the way are closed. We pass three different Buc-ee’s on our route so I think breakfast, lunch, and dinner are going to be at Buc-ee’s since they are open :)

There are some steakhouses that are open, and a few of the national pizza chains but we don’t take time for that when we are traveling home. I have to be back at work tomorrow morning.
Safe travels. Rudolph's services were definitely required in metro-Detroit last night. Morning fog was supposed to lift by noon, but it got worse instead of better. Extremely limited visibility when we went out at 4:30 PM; fog is still around this morning but not quite as dense. Never been to Buc ees but have read about it. Sounds like fun for Christmas Day dining. Home - Buc-ees

Merry Christmas everyone!

Thought I'd drop by to say I made fantastic muffins from bananas, eggs and Trader Joe's GF pancake mix.

Just because my brats are whining about what they really wish was on the table does not take away from that!

(At least my daughter is putting up. She is making herself and me some Korean-style egg, rice, pepper sauce dish. The other es are just like, why don't we have Canadian bacon?- WTF, dear we've had Canadian bacon in this house maybe twice in your 20 years, and never in Christmas!)

I still love my family. I quit feeding them, though, effective immediately.

-Rummy

Due to it just being Huzbun and I alone on Christmas for the first time ever - we actually ARE enjoying this - and my recent issues - all now resolved yayy - I cheated and bought a premade dinner from Publix (before I knew brother would be unavailable due to rehab stay post Covid/pneumonia). Sooo, I've heated up cooked turkey, heating yukon gold mashed tates, dressing and the green bean casserole I did make from scratch. There's gravy, cranberry orange sauce and rolls. I may bake brownies as a special treat this evening. We will have leftovers for days but because I was unable to eat Thanksgiving dinner then lost my taste for about 5-6 days, I am not complaining, merely stating a fact. A very Merry Christmas to each and all of you with prayers for a Happy New Years and a great 2024.

I hope you made it safely and found something decent to eat!

We always travel with dry snacks and a cooler. We never know if someone’s blood sugar will drop or they get a headache from not eating. But there’s nothing like one decent meal a day when traveling.

I hope you made it safely and found something decent to eat!

We always travel with dry snacks and a cooler. We never know if someone’s blood sugar will drop or they get a headache from not eating. But there’s nothing like one decent meal a day when traveling.
That’s for sure. We decided once when on a five hour trip, to just eat our dry snacks instead of stopping for lunch. I was like, hey, I can do the it!

I swore after that, I’d never eat another peanut butter cheese cracker, another jalapeño cheese cracker' or a pack of peanuts again. I can’t stand the thought of them anymore, lol. My recommendation, stop for lunch if at all possible! :D

We have so much food leftover that I think we could feed everyone in the ‘hood! We are going to make meal dishes for the freezer.

We cleaned out my little chest freezer. A whole chicken went on the rotisserie. 5 chicken leg quarters went in the oven. We deboned all of it and put it in a big gallon baggie. My oldest will take it home.

Tonight I put a 1 lb bag of navy beans in the crockpot. I had soaked them all day. I added big pieces of ham, onion, black peppercorns, kosher salt, minced garlic and poured veggie broth over it. Stirred it and turned it on low. It will be done in the morning. Once it cools, we can pack it up in containers.

We met a friend for lunch today. I had the Gyro Platter I now have leftovers from that! LOL!

That’s for sure. We decided once when on a five hour trip, to just eat our dry snacks instead of stopping for lunch. I was like, hey, I can do the it!

I swore after that, I’d never eat another peanut butter cheese cracker, another jalapeño cheese cracker' or a pack of peanuts again. I can’t stand the thought of them anymore, lol. My recommendation, stop for lunch if at all possible! :D
I don’t care for chips, pretzels, granola bars, protein bars, cheese crackers, and other snacks on road trips. Especially on a 15 hour drive.

We made it through our trip with hot sandwiches from a couple of Buc-ee’s stops along the way.

Several years ago I drove out west in December and happened to be in Wyoming on December 25th. I found a truck stop in Laramie Wyoming with a restaurant that was open and serving really good food. The server told me it was the only restaurant in the state of Wyoming that was open that day.

I don’t care for chips, pretzels, granola bars, protein bars, cheese crackers, and other snacks on road trips. Especially on a 15 hour drive.

We made it through our trip with hot sandwiches from a couple of Buc-ee’s stops along the way.

Several years ago I drove out west in December and happened to be in Wyoming on December 25th. I found a truck stop in Laramie Wyoming with a restaurant that was open and serving really good food. The server told me it was the only restaurant in the state of Wyoming that was open that day.
Restaurants around me are all always closed on Christmas too. And hard pressed to even find one open on Christmas Eve.

Restaurants around me are all always closed on Christmas too. And hard pressed to even find one open on Christmas Eve.
Even all of the fast food and casual dine places near the interstate were closed. We had checked online the day before to see if anything on our route was open, and found only a few steakhouses. Fun fact, Ruth’s Chris is open 365 days a year.

We didn’t want to take the time to eat at a steakhouse.

The gas stations where we stopped were doing a robust business selling roller dogs (yuck) because nothing else was open.

Last year we drove to Florida on December 31. We were surprised to find that most restaurants closed early, even before 6 pm. We had found a Texas Roadhouse that was open regular hours New Year’s Eve or we might have been dining at Buc-ee’s then too.

Even all of the fast food and casual dine places near the interstate were closed. We had checked online the day before to see if anything on our route was open, and found only a few steakhouses. Fun fact, Ruth’s Chris is open 365 days a year.

We didn’t want to take the time to eat at a steakhouse.

The gas stations where we stopped were doing a robust business selling roller dogs (yuck) because nothing else was open.

Last year we drove to Florida on December 31. We were surprised to find that most restaurants closed early, even before 6 pm. We had found a Texas Roadhouse that was open regular hours New Year’s Eve or we might have been dining at Buc-ee’s then too.
We found that out many years ago. We were travelling home Christmas Day and there was nothing open along the way, other than gas stations. We stopped at a 7-11 close to home and bought lunchmeat and chips, no bread left. lol Took it home and that was our Christmas dinner that year.

We found that out many years ago. We were travelling home Christmas Day and there was nothing open along the way, other than gas stations. We stopped at a 7-11 close to home and bought lunchmeat and chips, no bread left. lol Took it home and that was our Christmas dinner that year.
Definitely a restaurant chain that advertised being open on Christmas would do a great business, because there are so many travelers.

The McDonald’s website said it was up to each individual franchisee to set holiday hours and some may be open Christmas Day. We didn’t see a single one that was open though.

At home, one CVS location always stays open on holidays. I went there several years ago when I needed sour cream for a recipe for a get together. Somehow I had overlooked that I didn’t have sour cream in the refrigerator so I had to pay $5 for a container of it at CVS. It was very busy, probably the busiest day of the year for CVS.

Just started the slow-cooker for navy bean soup. Today I am making the stock and will make soup tomorrow. Lots of meat left on the ham bone; we removed the remaining slices last night. I added carrots, onion, celery, garlic, black peppercorns, rosemary, and thyme and covered with water. I will let the stock simmer all day, then strain and refrigerate overnight. There is still a lot of sliced ham left; I'm thinking breakfast for dinner tonight - a frittata with ham, asparagus, Gruyere cheese.

Last edited:
Our son and DIL were here (NC) for a long weekend and began their trip home to Vermont on Christmas afternoon after an early dinner. They made sandwiches from leftovers and took cookies and pecan treats along to minimize stops. Had an overnight stay at a hotel, then made it home Tuesday before dark. I'm not sure if we will drive up there again--it's a long way plus we have to make more stops than younger folks do!

I've been wanting to make biscuits but am considering mixing in some turkey and cranberry sauce somehow but Idk if that will be good or weird? Do you all think it would be good or just strange? Maybe I will only do a couple as a test. I've never made biscuits before. Also not sure how to go about adding the cranberry and turkey. Would it work if I mix the turkey with the cranberry sauce and then add it to the dough or is this a bad idea? I can't tell anymore lol.

I've been wanting to make biscuits but am considering mixing in some turkey and cranberry sauce somehow but Idk if that will be good or weird? Do you all think it would be good or just strange? Maybe I will only do a couple as a test. I've never made biscuits before. Also not sure how to go about adding the cranberry and turkey. Would it work if I mix the turkey with the cranberry sauce and then add it to the dough or is this a bad idea? I can't tell anymore lol.
Sounds good to me, but I've never made American biscuits, either. I've made scones, though.

We have so much food leftover that I thi
So are you blending the turkey & cranberries into the dough? Or do you use them as a filling in the middle? I can’t wrap my head around that.

I would maybe try making the dough and wrapping it around the cranberry and turkey. Like a hand pie.

Attachments

• IMG_2989.jpeg
    IMG_2989.jpeg
    125.6 KB · Views: 11
I would maybe try making the dough and wrapping it around the cranberry and turkey. Like a hand pie.
When Cornish miners migrated to Michigan's Upper Peninsula in the 1800's, they brought with them their beloved national dish: the pasty. The Finnish miners that followed adopted these meat pies as their own (easily transportable for long subterranean days!), and the pasty became such a large part of the regional culture that there's an annual pasty festival in early July. In this recipe, beef, rutabaga, carrots, onions and potatoes are essentially steamed within the crimped, D-shaped dough pocket that's slit to allow just enough steam to escape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gisberthanekroot