Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
When Cornish miners migrated to Michigan's Upper Peninsula in the 1800's, they brought with them their beloved national dish: the pasty. The Finnish miners that followed adopted these meat pies as their own (easily transportable for long subterranean days!), and the pasty became such a large part of the regional culture that there's an annual pasty festival in early July. In this recipe, beef, rutabaga, carrots, onions and potatoes are essentially steamed within the crimped, D-shaped dough pocket that's slit to allow just enough steam to escape.
According to a segment in an early episode of The Great British Bake Off, you get them in Mexico, too, because Cornish miners went out there to work.

When Cornish miners migrated to Michigan's Upper Peninsula in the 1800's, they brought with them their beloved national dish: the pasty. The Finnish miners that followed adopted these meat pies as their own (easily transportable for long subterranean days!), and the pasty became such a large part of the regional culture that there's an annual pasty festival in early July. In this recipe, beef, rutabaga, carrots, onions and potatoes are essentially steamed within the crimped, D-shaped dough pocket that's slit to allow just enough steam to escape.
According to my Cornish step family the original cornish miners used to have savoury in one end of the pasty and jam in the other end so that they had a dessert too. The middle where the fillings met must have been interesting!

According to my Cornish step family the original cornish miners used to have savoury in one end of the pasty and jam in the other end so that they had a dessert too. The middle where the fillings met must have been interesting!
That's a Clanger, I think! And I think they had a little pastry wall to compartmentalize.

I pulled 4 heads of lettuce & some beans today. Should have broccoli soon. They’re crowding the Brussels. As soon as they’re ready I’ll pull them. Then I can stake the Brussels up.

Guess what’s for dinner? LOL!

Attachments

• IMG_2543.jpeg
    IMG_2543.jpeg
    216.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2541.jpeg
    IMG_2541.jpeg
    183.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2542.jpeg
    IMG_2542.jpeg
    168.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2545.jpeg
    IMG_2545.jpeg
    265.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2540.jpeg
    IMG_2540.jpeg
    221.9 KB · Views: 8
We have so much food leftover that I thi

So are you blending the turkey & cranberries into the dough? Or do you use them as a filling in the middle? I can’t wrap my head around that.
LOL I know, Idk what I'm trying to do. Actually, I'm trying to "recreate" a savory pastry I had last Thanksgiving. It was almost like a popover with cranberries and turkey inside. I'm pretty sure it won't turn out the same but I just want rid of the leftovers.

@IceIce9 yeah, I'm thinking of doing a sort of filling, make the dough and tuck the cranberry turkey mixture in the middle.

Also, I wanted to make something small that I can take to someone who is in hospital that couldn't be with us for the holidays.

Soup's on! My homemade stock is very flavorful and will make delicious navy bean with ham soup. Chopped veggies are simmering in the broth; later I will add a jar of Randall Great Northern Beans and chopped ham from the bone.

We decided on Prime Rib for NYE because I want to make Mushroom Barley soup with leftover roast beef. Roasted Yukon Gold potatoes and a green veggie will accompany the roast. I usually make gravy with the drippings but will pass on Yorkshire Pudding. On New Year's Day, I will bake brie in puff pastry to be served with French baguette and apple slices, and we'll have shrimp with cocktail sauce. Champagne, of course!

What special plans do you have for the New Year's holiday weekend?

Soup's on! My homemade stock is very flavorful and will make delicious navy bean with ham soup. Chopped veggies are simmering in the broth; later I will add a jar of Randall Great Northern Beans and chopped ham from the bone.

We decided on Prime Rib for NYE because I want to make Mushroom Barley soup with leftover roast beef. Roasted Yukon Gold potatoes and a green veggie will accompany the roast. I usually make gravy with the drippings but will pass on Yorkshire Pudding. On New Year's Day, I will bake brie in puff pastry to be served with French baguette and apple slices, and we'll have shrimp with cocktail sauce. Champagne, of course!

What special plans do you have for the New Year's holiday weekend?
Oh I'm so glad I read this post!

I saved the gelatin/fat from the turkey (liquid/gelatinous gold) and was going to add it to a stock. We also have veggies from a platter that was never opened. I might make soup!

That sounds like a great meal for NYE/NYE day (I love a good shrimp cocktail). I'm considering ordering Chinese/Thai but the place I go to, you have to get your order in early in the AM if you hope to get it that night at all. One year I called at 3 pm and didn't get my food until 10pm!

I will start soaking my dried black-eyed peas tomorrow evening to cook with ham on New Year's eve. Early New Years's Day I'll make rice for Hoppin John, turnip greens and cornbread (no sugar). It's a tradition for luck in my house. Good luck to all in the coming year.

We had to use up some blueberries & oat milk. I found a Blueberry Bread Recipe.

I used gluten free flour, canola oil & oat milk. I did not add sugar on top and it was plenty sweet. Florida blueberries are big so I probably used 1 3/4 cup rather than 1 1/2 cup. It made 6 little mini loaves.

My oldest is somewhat lactose intolerant. I say somewhat, because I made her a GF chocolate cream pie with whole milk & she ate it.

Attachments

• IMG_2551.jpeg
    IMG_2551.jpeg
    58 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2552.jpeg
    IMG_2552.jpeg
    80.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2556.jpeg
    IMG_2556.jpeg
    158 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2557.jpeg
    IMG_2557.jpeg
    137 KB · Views: 14
Trying my hand at Chiles en Nogada. Started it today but I’ll serve it tomorrow. I strayed from the recipe and used ground venison instead of pork because I have so much of it. Then tomatoes, tomatillos, onion, jalapeños, chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, garlic, salt, lemon, pear, peach, olives, pine nuts, parsley, cinnamon, cumin, cloves shoved into roasted poblano pepper. The Nogada will be La crema, walnuts, nutmeg and then topped with pomegranate. I tasted the meat with all those flavors and there is a lot going on. Took me about 3 hours to get it to the stuffed stage. I need to improve my pepper roasting and peeling skills.

Having friends over tomorrow, first time in new house and stepson is visiting hence the new “exotic” dish. Then our normal appetizers that everyone seems to enjoy. We won’t be making it to midnight, not even close and no one really drinks any more so it will be a quick and quiet New Years.

Trying my hand at Chiles en Nogada. Started it today but I’ll serve it tomorrow. I strayed from the recipe and used ground venison instead of pork because I have so much of it. Then tomatoes, tomatillos, onion, jalapeños, chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, garlic, salt, lemon, pear, peach, olives, pine nuts, parsley, cinnamon, cumin, cloves shoved into roasted poblano pepper. The Nogada will be La crema, walnuts, nutmeg and then topped with pomegranate. I tasted the meat with all those flavors and there is a lot going on. Took me about 3 hours to get it to the stuffed stage. I need to improve my pepper roasting and peeling skills.

Having friends over tomorrow, first time in new house and stepson is visiting hence the new “exotic” dish. Then our normal appetizers that everyone seems to enjoy. We won’t be making it to midnight, not even close and no one really drinks any more so it will be a quick and quiet New Years.
Wow that IS a lot going on, haha!

Sounds like a lot of work but also very flavourful! I've never made Mexican food outside of tacos or fajitas but I did see a Mexican theme in my local grocery store this year. Idk why but they were featuring a lot of Mexican appetizers and ingredients in more than one area of the store. Idk, is it a trend this year? I've also seen a lot of cannolis on SM this year.

Two hours from midnight here! At a friend's until the second of Jan, being plied with gin and pink wine and lovely food, watching Bake Off specials.

IMG_20231231_215601.jpg

Cheese, ham, salmon, grapes and baby carrots platter in the foreground. Chipolatas wrapped in bacon, maple chicken wings, jalapeno poppers, all cooked in the Weber Kettle in the background.

Living with a Mormon mother, we rarely drink these days, so a gin and tonic and some pink wine and gorgeous food and I am very happy indeed. Love to you all.

Happy New Year from Australia! Here's to a great 2024, with plenty more solves from @othram and all the rest of us, professional and amateur, who want to help get justice for victims and bring everyone unidentified and missing home!

IMG_20240101_001308.jpg

Two hours from midnight here! At a friend's until the second of Jan, being plied with gin and pink wine and lovely food, watching Bake Off specials.

Cheese, ham, salmon, grapes and baby carrots platter in the foreground. Chipolatas wrapped in bacon, maple chicken wings, jalapeno poppers, all cooked in the Weber Kettle in the background.

Living with a Mormon mother, we rarely drink these days, so a gin and tonic and some pink wine and gorgeous food and I am very happy indeed. Love to you all.
The food looks amazing! We have several hours to go before the clocks toll midnight and ring in the new year. Happy New Year to you and your friends who are enjoying delicious food and drink :)

Have you ever wondered why we drink champagne on New Year’s Eve? Why not wine? Why not whiskey? Well, like most things in life -- the answer lies in the money trail...

DH and I will enjoy Champagne tomorrow while we nosh on baked brie and chilled shrimp. We'll have red wine with Prime Rib tonight. We have some beautiful fresh strawberries that we put in our flutes before pouring the bubbly.

Last edited:
I just finished my part of the dinner prep. I cut up four Yukon Gold potatoes and put them in a Ziploc bag with salt, pepper, rosemary olive oil, and freshly shredded Parmesan cheese. Since the potatoes are kind of fussy, I'll just salt and pepper the asparagus and drizzle with lemon juice. DH will prep the Prime Rib. We perfected the method some years ago, and it always turns out perfectly. Poke the roast all over with a meat fork. Season generously with salt and pepper. Add Montreal Steak Seasoning mixed with dry yellow mustard to a softened stick of butter. Rub the meat all over with buttery mixture. Sear the roast in hot oven (425*) for 20-30 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 325* and continue roasting for approximately 2-2.5 hours (depending on weight) or until meat is done to your preference. We like our Prime Rib medium rare. Cover the meat with foil and allow it to rest for 15-20 minutes before carving. I make gravy while the roast is resting. Deglaze the roasting pan with wine or Cognac. Add a little flour to the meat drippings and whisk until thickened. The meat drippings usually have enough seasoning, so I don't add more.

We had a dusting of snow overnight that has now melted. Temperatures continue to be quite mild for this time of year, but it has been damp, dark, dreary, and foggy for at least a week. Be safe if you are going out on the town tonight.

Happy New Year!

Chillin’ with my foster furbaby for NYE. Bumbles is 1 y/o & blind. He’s adjusting well.

He’s enjoyed sniffing while I was cooking today. He likes being outside listening too. He’s very hungry and inhales his kibble.

I made a breakfast casserole with leftover ham. I baked hush puppies for lunch. They were pretty good.

I picked 2 heads of broccoli. I’ll be sending those home with kiddo. I’m going to pull the 2 plants so the Brussels get more sun. I’m just starting to see itty bitty sprouts.

M&M cookie dough is on my mind. But I’m out of eggs and almost out of milk.

Attachments

• IMG_2602.jpeg
    IMG_2602.jpeg
    142.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2610.jpeg
    IMG_2610.jpeg
    162.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2607.jpeg
    IMG_2607.jpeg
    188 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2594.jpeg
    IMG_2594.jpeg
    260.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2589.jpeg
    IMG_2589.jpeg
    158.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2592.jpeg
    IMG_2592.jpeg
    167.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2574.jpeg
    IMG_2574.jpeg
    100.3 KB · Views: 17
Happy New Year!

Chillin’ with my foster furbaby for NYE. Bumbles is 1 y/o & blind. He’s adjusting well.

He’s enjoyed sniffing while I was cooking today. He likes being outside listening too. He’s very hungry and inhales his kibble.

I made a breakfast casserole with leftover ham. I baked hush puppies for lunch. They were pretty good.

I picked 2 heads of broccoli. I’ll be sending those home with kiddo. I’m going to pull the 2 plants so the Brussels get more sun. I’m just starting to see itty bitty sprouts.

M&M cookie dough is on my mind. But I’m out of eggs and almost out of milk.
That's a beautiful doggo :D

We've still got about 4 1/2 hrs to go, I better take it easy on the hard cider lol. Happy New Years, fellow Websleuths!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gisberthanekroot