Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bolognese in the slow cooker. It's not for tonight, so I didn't have to get up too early to start prepping. I browned the ground round and Italian sausage in a skillet, then sweated the chopped veggies (carrot, celery, onion, garlic) in olive oil. When I cook Bolognese on the stove, it usually simmers for about 3 hours. This is the first time that I'm using the slow cooker, and I figure on 5-6 hours. When it cools, I will put some in containers and some in Ziploc bags for the freezer.

We ended up having naan pizzas last night and will do (canned) refried beans and (box) Mexican rice tonight. DH has been planning a trip to Costco, but it is much too cold for anyone to venture out unless it's absolutely necessary. Schools are closed again due to the extreme wind chills. I slept much better last night - maybe it was the warm socks :)

The temperature was 6 below yesterday, so I made a big pot of vegetarian chipotle chili.

Vegetarian Chipotle Chili

16 oz plant based sausage (we like Impossible brand)
1/4 cup olive oil
1 1/2 cups onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons cumin
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
4 Tablespoons tomato paste
4 large carrots, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 yellow bell pepper, diced
3 stalks celery, diced
1 (28-ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, drained, chopped
6 cups tomato juice
2 (15-ounce) cans kidney beans, drained
1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, drained
2 teaspoons Chipotle Tabasco sauce (optional)
Salt to taste

Garnish (optional)
2 Tablespoons Chipotle Tabasco sauce (or more per preference)
8 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese (2 cups)
16 ounces sour cream

Instructions:
Crumble plant based sausage into skillet and stir over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Set aside.
Heat oil in large heavy pot over high heat.
Add onions garlic, cumin pepper flakes and black pepper.
Sauté until onions are transparent.
Stir in chili powder and tomato paste.
Sauté for 30 seconds then stir in celery, carrots and peppers.
Cook and stir for 2-3 minutes.
Stir in tomatoes, tomato juice and beans.
Bring the mixture to a boil.
Stir in plant based sausage.
Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
Stir in the Chipotle Tabasco sauce and season to taste.

To make garnish:
Stir together the Chipotle Tabasco sauce and sour cream.
Top each bowl of chili with a spoonful of the sour cream/Tabasco mixture and then sprinkle with cheese.
Serve immediately.

MIL has been baking up a storm with this cold front in Texas. I currently have gingersnaps, cupcakes and cinnamon rolls in the freeze individually portioned and all gluten free. Yesterday she baked hard rolls for my husband. Last night was comfort food with the venison Shepard’s pie (again), good stick to your ribs food. Tonight MIL is making a spinach stuff flounder with parmesan cheese sauce. Will be interesting, she’s winging it. Our feels like temp when I’m doing chores has been single digits, lots of hot tea in the evenings. I am over lugging 5 gallon buckets of hot water from the house and breaking up troughs with hammer. Hopefully by next year I’ll have electric out at coop and somewhere in pasture to plug in tank heater. I’m calling it my daily workout though.

MIL has been baking up a storm with this cold front in Texas. I currently have gingersnaps, cupcakes and cinnamon rolls in the freeze individually portioned and all gluten free. Yesterday she baked hard rolls for my husband. Last night was comfort food with the venison Shepard’s pie (again), good stick to your ribs food. Tonight MIL is making a spinach stuff flounder with parmesan cheese sauce. Will be interesting, she’s winging it. Our feels like temp when I’m doing chores has been single digits, lots of hot tea in the evenings. I am over lugging 5 gallon buckets of hot water from the house and breaking up troughs with hammer. Hopefully by next year I’ll have electric out at coop and somewhere in pasture to plug in tank heater. I’m calling it my daily workout though.
Envying your food, not envying your chores in the freezing outdoors!

I was scrolling thru videos yesterday and someone put water in their crockpot & put it in their chicken coop! It was plugged in so it didn’t freeze. The chickens seemed to like it!

I made spaghetti sauce with ground turkey this morning. I accidentally opened the pepper container on the big hole side, instead of the side with tiny holes. Needless to say I took tongs and pulled out chunks of raw turkey and threw them away. I was so worried it was going to taste awful. I added some left over tomato sauce in it figuring it would dilute the pepper.

This afternoon, I cooked angel hair pasta and used the sauce, added Parmesan cheese. It tasted fine! Whew!

I love Cheez-Its, I don’t dare buy them by the single, family size box because it’s too hard to stop eating them. So I’ve been buying the boxes with the small snack size bags. Perfect, for me and my fur baby, who loves them as much as me. I know they’re not typically something we should feed our dogs, but I don’t give him a whole bag or anything, lol…. and he’s almost 15 y/o and very sadly won’t be with us that much longer. So he gets extra goodies and extra spoiled. I even started making homemade food for him a while back, that he loves. I just want to make him happy as possible the time we have left with him.
Every time I talk about it I start crying so I have to be quiet about it now.
I know my fellow dog lovers here know what I mean.

I made spaghetti sauce with ground turkey this morning. I accidentally opened the pepper container on the big hole side, instead of the side with tiny holes. Needless to say I took tongs and pulled out chunks of raw turkey and threw them away. I was so worried it was going to taste awful. I added some left over tomato sauce in it figuring it would dilute the pepper.

This afternoon, I cooked angel hair pasta and used the sauce, added Parmesan cheese. It tasted fine! Whew!
I made spaghetti sauce today too, but with ground beef. We had spaghetti and salad for dinner, and there's plenty of sauce for another meal or maybe two.

We recently bought a Costco chicken and yesterday I removed the rest of the meat and simmered the carcass with garlic, onion, carrots to make a tasty broth. Froze the broth in two containers and will use for soup.

I have been reading all the post about cheez-it’s.
i seen the commercial about cheez-it’s on t.v. And it reminded me of this thread. So, I bought a big box to take to work today and share with my co-workers.

I hope everyone has a good day. I will be thinking of everyone while I enjoy the cheez-it snacks today!

I have been reading all the post about cheez-it’s.
i seen the commercial about cheez-it’s on t.v. And it reminded me of this thread. So, I bought a big box to take to work today and share with my co-workers.

I hope everyone has a good day. I will be thinking of everyone while I enjoy the cheez-it snacks today!
I love Wheat Thins, the original not the reduced fat variety. I like to eat them right out of the box, or with a cream cheese based dip.

I always preferred Cheez-its to Cheese Nips. There is a spicy variety of Cheez-its that is very good too.

My Bolognese was ready by 5:00 yesterday. It looked and smelled so good that we decided to enjoy for dinner. I cooked half a package of rotini and mixed it with Bolognese in a baking dish. I added diced fresh mozzarella and topped with fresh grated Parm. Baked for 30 minutes until cheese was melted. It was yummy, and there is enough left for another meal. There's also enough Bolognese for at least three more meals. I will make meatballs today with the rest of the ground round and Italian sausage that I used in the Bolognese.

Wind chill temp right now is 14* - much better than the sub-zero temps we had for three days. We got about an inch of new snow overnight, but most schools were back in session today.

The temperature was 6 below yesterday, so I made a big pot of vegetarian chipotle chili.

Vegetarian Chipotle Chili

16 oz plant based sausage (we like Impossible brand)
1/4 cup olive oil
1 1/2 cups onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons cumin
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
4 Tablespoons tomato paste
4 large carrots, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 yellow bell pepper, diced
3 stalks celery, diced
1 (28-ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, drained, chopped
6 cups tomato juice
2 (15-ounce) cans kidney beans, drained
1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, drained
2 teaspoons Chipotle Tabasco sauce (optional)
Salt to taste

Garnish (optional)
2 Tablespoons Chipotle Tabasco sauce (or more per preference)
8 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese (2 cups)
16 ounces sour cream

Instructions:
Crumble plant based sausage into skillet and stir over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Set aside.
Heat oil in large heavy pot over high heat.
Add onions garlic, cumin pepper flakes and black pepper.
Sauté until onions are transparent.
Stir in chili powder and tomato paste.
Sauté for 30 seconds then stir in celery, carrots and peppers.
Cook and stir for 2-3 minutes.
Stir in tomatoes, tomato juice and beans.
Bring the mixture to a boil.
Stir in plant based sausage.
Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
Stir in the Chipotle Tabasco sauce and season to taste.

To make garnish:
Stir together the Chipotle Tabasco sauce and sour cream.
Top each bowl of chili with a spoonful of the sour cream/Tabasco mixture and then sprinkle with cheese.
Serve immediately.
Oh good, we're all cold and hungry in here ;)

I saw a Cheez-Its commercial yesterday and thought of you all fondly! I don't have cable and I have an extension that stops adverts (it will not allow me to type the name!!) on my PC so I hardly ever see advertisements anymore but it was so funny!

@kalvis hahaha I won't let myself buy them bc I just know I'll eat them for "dinner" :rolleyes:

@BetteDavisEyes omg, that is the commercial I saw and I couldn't stop laughing! Did we all see the same commercial? Hilarious :D

While we’re talking about Cheez-its, one more reminiscence just popped in my head:

When she was young, my daughter was in a dance class group, and one time one of the moms brought a box of Cheez-it crackers and proceeded to one by one laboriously spread a little bit of plain cream cheese on each cracker as a snack for the group. Whoa :oops:—SO good :D ! That was a new one for me; I never thought to combine the two.

I totally had forgotten about this way of eating the crackers until now, and it’s a memory from probably 20 years ago. Hmm..I’ll have to try it again to see if I still like it….in the name of research, you know…:p ;)

You've all got me googling Cheez its. We don't have them in Australia.

If we're talking crackers, I really like Shapes Chicken Crimpy.
cheez-its used to be iconic about 1/2" square orange snack crackers- a bit cheddery, crunchy when fresh... not for long! and sticky on the teeth. Now in 2024 there are all different cheese cheez-its - Parmesan, jalapeno, GIANT 1" square ones. ridged cheez-its for dipping ...on and on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MISSINGPERSONSMYSTERIES