Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m Team Original Cheez-Its. No need to mess with success. Ha! I’m on my last box and it’s almost empty. It’s on my list tho.

It’s going to be 39 degrees on Sun am. This wimpy girl is going to freeze. I hope my tomatoes do ok. I can just see the beginnings of them ripening.

I’m Team Original Cheez-Its. No need to mess with success. Ha! I’m on my last box and it’s almost empty. It’s on my list tho.

It’s going to be 39 degrees on Sun am. This wimpy girl is going to freeze. I hope my tomatoes do ok. I can just see the beginnings of them ripening.
While 39* isn't cold enough for frost, I usually cover mums when it gets that cold in the fall here in Michigan. We have several throw-type small blankets that are perfect for this. Just to be on the safe side, maybe you should cover your tomato plants overnight so they don't get too cold.

I remember Cheez-Its from years ago but can't have them anymore because of my lactose intolerance. I've seen ads for crispy Cheez-Its and have been tempted to try them, but I don't like taking Lactaid just to enjoy a snack.

I just put meatballs in the oven. We don't really need more food as we have plenty of leftovers, so I might just put the meatballs in the freezer. DH brought home a Costco roto chicken today, so now we have that, too. He got a large piece of sockeye salmon that will make two meals, a 4-pack of Triscuits, 4# butter, a carton of 6 mini cakes (he has a sweet tooth), hummus, mini Naans, wine, and some household products. He also found a Michigan National Football Championship hoodie :)

While 39* isn't cold enough for frost, I usually cover mums when it gets that cold in the fall here in Michigan. We have several throw-type small blankets that are perfect for this. Just to be on the safe side, maybe you should cover your tomato plants overnight so they don't get too cold.

I remember Cheez-Its from years ago but can't have them anymore because of my lactose intolerance. I've seen ads for crispy Cheez-Its and have been tempted to try them, but I don't like taking Lactaid just to enjoy a snack.

I just put meatballs in the oven. We don't really need more food as we have plenty of leftovers, so I might just put the meatballs in the freezer. DH brought home a Costco roto chicken today, so now we have that, too. He got a large piece of sockeye salmon that will make two meals, a 4-pack of Triscuits, 4# butter, a carton of 6 mini cakes (he has a sweet tooth), hummus, mini Naans, wine, and some household products. He also found a Michigan National Football Championship hoodie :)
Great Costco Haul!!
You have really been cooking over there, BDE. And it all sounds wonderful. I love leftovers!

It has been so cold here in MI. I look forward to next week. We will all be in our shorts when it hits 39. I am only half kidding.
I hope your tomatoes are ok.

cheez-its used to be iconic about 1/2" square orange snack crackers- a bit cheddery, crunchy when fresh... not for long! and sticky on the teeth. Now in 2024 there are all different cheese cheez-its - Parmesan, jalapeno, GIANT 1" square ones. ridged cheez-its for dipping ...on and on.
Someone said they even have “well done” cheez-it’s. I did not believe them. But it was true. Called extra toasty. Go figure.

Cheez-its! Really, all this attention for Cheez-its? Asks the person who, one solo birthday, ate most of a box of Cheez-its and drank a bottle of red wine for her supper, a still fondly remembered supper at that.

Although I always take the “Best of” lists with a grain of salt, I think they are interesting to read.

This is from the “Ultimate List of Food Experiences.”

Just a few selected states where I often work or travel.

Arkansas: Cheese dip
Colorado: Rocky Mountain oysters
Florida: Key Lime pie, Cuban sandwich
Illinois: Deep dish pizza
Indiana: St. Elmo’s steak
Kentucky: Hot brown, bourbon
Maryland: crab cake
Michigan: Coney Island dogs
Minnesota: hotdish
Ohio: Cincinnati chili
Tennessee: Nashville hot chicken, Memphis BBQ
Wisconsin: cheese curds
Well, I would call this a list of some things that these states are famous for, not exactly the best things to eat in those states!!!

I have a couple old shower curtain liners I’m going to drape over my tomatoes tomorrow evening. I took photos of the plants about 6:00pm.

The big ones, Better Boy, are turning. The Celebrity tomatoes are just starting to turn. The Romas are still pretty green but I’ve had some ripen.

My plants are turning yellow. I sprayed them with a fungicide thinking that would help. I will pull off more fading leaves tomorrow.

I took lettuce & tomatoes to my friend JK tonight. We met for pizza and a gabfest.

Then I went to Publix for a few things. Cheez-Its were 2/$7.00. Now I have 4 boxes.

Filled up my gas tank because it was mid 60s out this evening. Now I’m in for the next 3 days, other than potty breaks for Elvis, the foster dog. aka Chief Plant Inspector. He doesn’t like the cold either.

Attachments

• IMG_2916.jpeg
    IMG_2916.jpeg
    192.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2917.jpeg
    IMG_2917.jpeg
    205.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2920.jpeg
    IMG_2920.jpeg
    169.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2875.jpeg
    IMG_2875.jpeg
    214.4 KB · Views: 15
Great Costco Haul!!
You have really been cooking over there, BDE. And it all sounds wonderful. I love leftovers!
I forgot to mention the twin-pack of 48oz Jif Extra Crunchy Peanut Butter that's a staple in our pantry. Since it's just the two of us, monthly Costco trips are limited to food and/or household items that we need only occasionally.

I'm done cooking for a while and tired of the kitchen cleanups. We have plenty of leftovers and extras in the freezer. Tomorrow is Picano's 39th anniversary celebration. We haven't been to all of the annual celebrations but go when we can as it's a very festive occasion. The restaurant is usually packed, there is musical entertainment throughout the day/evening, special menu selections, valet parking, and a gift or gift card for every guest - $10 Picanos' gift card or signature wine glass for the milestone years. I'm sure the place will be jumping during the Lion's game, but we are going later. Picano's opened on January 21, 1984. We went for the first time on my birthday that week (27th) and have gone regularly since then. We look forward to dinner out tomorrow, and maybe we'll go out for my birthday next Saturday, too.

Last edited:
These crackers are just as notorious and comparable to Cheez Its: Swiss Cheese Crackers - Walmart.ca

I've been making a lot of these "ramen" noodles lately. They're really good and make a quick snack with a hard boiled or scrambled egg: https://www.madewithnestle.ca/maggi/maggi-2-minute-noodles-masala

@Catmommy I cannot lie, I have had that exact same supper and it was memorable :D These days, the kids online call that "girl dinner" :rolleyes:
I’ve never seen those Maggi noodles. I’ll be on the lookout for them!

It reminds me of the pkg noodles I have been enjoying lately: Mi Goreng stir-fry noodles. I’ll typically stir-cook some cabbage and green onions to mix into the noodles, and then fry an over-easy egg to eat with it.

We had Korean food last night. Where I live, there are lots of Asian markets—Korean, Chinese, Japanese, Filipino. We bought marinated raw pork bulgogi from a Korean market. All I had to do was cook these thin slices of pork. I just used a skillet to cook them. At a restaurant, generally they‘ll have a grill type of pan. I also bought some jap chae (stir fried glass noodles with veg). We eat the meat in lettuce wraps and/or these pickled white radish wraps. Also served kimchi and steamed rice. It’s one of my favorite home meals because it’s easy yet so tasty.

It reminds me of the pkg noodles I have been enjoying lately: Mi Goreng stir-fry noodles. I’ll typically stir-cook some cabbage and green onions to mix into the noodles, and then fry an over-easy egg to eat with it.

We had Korean food last night. Where I live, there are lots of Asian markets—Korean, Chinese, Japanese, Filipino. We bought marinated raw pork bulgogi from a Korean market. All I had to do was cook these thin slices of pork. I just used a skillet to cook them. At a restaurant, generally they‘ll have a grill type of pan. I also bought some jap chae (stir fried glass noodles with veg). We eat the meat in lettuce wraps and/or these pickled white radish wraps. Also served kimchi and steamed rice. It’s one of my favorite home meals!
Mi goreng are the absolute best. I like most of the flavours I've tried. Current faves are the original flavour in the red and white packet, and the special chicken. I tend to soft boil an egg, then take it out and cook the noodles in the same water. It's a great quick meal.

We had Korean food last night. Where I live, there are lots of Asian markets—Korean, Chinese, Japanese, Filipino. We bought marinated raw pork bulgogi from a Korean market. All I had to do was cook these thin slices of pork. I just used a skillet to cook them. At a restaurant, generally they‘ll have a grill type of pan. I also bought some jap chae (stir fried glass noodles with veg). We eat the meat in lettuce wraps and/or these pickled white radish wraps. Also served kimchi and steamed rice. It’s one of my favorite home meals because it’s easy yet so tasty.
The noodle cake is smaller than a typical ramen package but the flavor is more Indian "inspired" spices and super yum! They're also cheaper, at least I tend to find them for about .50 cents (sometimes 30 cents). I also save the seasoning packets as I don't used the entire packet but I do put a little square of butter on the noodles along with whatever else, like minced onion, some bell pepper, frozen peas etc.

Those noodles also look good! They have a curry one. I think the Maggi ones would be good fried as well, esp with an egg.

That also sounds delish! I watch a lot of Korean/Japanese YT content and see people making all these dishes I'm curious to try (would love to visit. I LOVE glass noodles too, in fresh and spring rolls they're so chewy! I always see those curled, sliced pieces of beef at the grocery store & now I know why they're so expensive :p

@iamshadow21 I said hard boiled bc I already had them on hand but soft boiled would be nice too! I was missing the creamy egg so I might try your trick next time.

Did anyone make ice cream from snow growing up? We did!

On Jan. 19, Witherspoon shared a video of herself consuming snow after she fashioned it into a drink, which she dubbed a "Snow Salt Chococinno."

TODAY's own Jenna Bush Hager has a special snow recipe, too. During a blizzard in February 2021, Jenna and her children made "snow ice cream" out of the fallen powder.

The recipe involves combining snow with almond milk, sugar, cinnamon and vanilla, creating a confection that tasted "almost like a snow cone," she said.

Making homemade chips. They already smell good, but I only just put them in the oven. They'll be an hour, yet.

I cut potatoes into wedges, drizzle them with olive oil, dust them liberally with herbs and spices, mix it all about, and cook for an hour to an hour twenty at 180c. With five minutes to go, I pile them up in the tray and put a handful of grated cheese on top. Generally, I eat them with a barbeque sauce and a sweet chilli.

The seasoning I went for today was herb heavy - stock powder, white pepper, smoky paprika, dried sage, rosemary and thyme.

I do another one that I invented recently, though, that's warm and aromatic. Stock powder, white pepper, smoky paprika, thyme, and ground ginger and just a little ground cinnamon. It's amazing, and really moreish.

Our mom would give us a mixing bowl, sugar, vanilla, and milk and tell us to take snow from the top for our recipe. We asked for an egg but she always said raw eggs weren’t good for us.
Sounds so fun to make and fun to eat! “Going to the snow” was an infrequent thing to do, living and growing up in Southern California. We tasted bites of plain clean snow when we visited the mountains to play, but that was it. Wish I had known!
(I’ll have to remember this next time I go to the snow. Maybe I can make up for my deprived childhood. haha ;):p )

Making homemade chips. They already smell good, but I only just put them in the oven. They'll be an hour, yet.

I cut potatoes into wedges, drizzle them with olive oil, dust them liberally with herbs and spices, mix it all about, and cook for an hour to an hour twenty at 180c. With five minutes to go, I pile them up in the tray and put a handful of grated cheese on top. Generally, I eat them with a barbeque sauce and a sweet chilli.

The seasoning I went for today was herb heavy - stock powder, white pepper, smoky paprika, dried sage, rosemary and thyme.

I do another one that I invented recently, though, that's warm and aromatic. Stock powder, white pepper, smoky paprika, thyme, and ground ginger and just a little ground cinnamon. It's amazing, and really moreish.
Ah, you must live in the UK! I was picturing homemade crisps (what we call potato chips in the US) when you said homemade chips.

Ooh, how did they come out? Sounds so yummy. I love almost anything potato.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Txwoman