Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not crazy about hot dogs, but I sometimes get in the mood for one and when I do, a good quality dog is quite tasty dressed up like this. I just eat it with a knife and fork.
We can occasionally make Litelife Smart Dogs which are vegetarian. We like them because they aren’t greasy like beef or pork hot dogs.

When we camp or picnic we cook them on the grill, and set out bowls of all the fixings so everyone can make their own. Most people, me included, enjoy them fully dressed.

The Litelife Smart Dogs are best grilled IMO but if I cook them inside I boil a saucepan of beer, then take off the heat, add the Smart Dogs, cover, and let sit for ten minutes. The dogs plump up and absorb some of the beer for a great flavor.

If you don’t have or don’t like beer, you can use the same cooking method using vegetable broth instead of beer.

I like them served on fresh buns, and then slice up and eat with a fork.

Produce pickup had some thinks I’m allergic too. The UPS delivery guy walked up as I was unloading. I pawned off a cantaloupe and 2 boxes of mushroom.

The green beans were too far gone. The squash had a lot of spoilage on the skin but otherwise it was fine. I have it prepped. I’ll steam it and make a casserole I used to make years ago. I’ll use Cream of Chicken soup.

I was able to get the ginger bagged without touching it.

I’m going to see how much of the pears I can salvage. I can make pear bread.

Attachments

• IMG_2655.jpeg
    IMG_2655.jpeg
    135.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2656.jpeg
    IMG_2656.jpeg
    165.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2667.jpeg
    IMG_2667.jpeg
    154.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2662.jpeg
    IMG_2662.jpeg
    137.6 KB · Views: 26
Produce pickup had some thinks I’m allergic too. The UPS delivery guy walked up as I was unloading. I pawned off a cantaloupe and 2 boxes of mushroom.

The green beans were too far gone. The squash had a lot of spoilage on the skin but otherwise it was fine. I have it prepped. I’ll steam it and make a casserole I used to make years ago. I’ll use Cream of Chicken soup.

I was able to get the ginger bagged without touching it.

I’m going to see how much of the pears I can salvage. I can make pear bread.
Cantaloupes are my very favorite fruit!

I usually freeze ginger and just grate it frozen.

You always make me crave good healthy food when I see your pictures!

I have the dumbest food allergies I swear. Who in the world is allergic to ginger? Me. It’s always me.

Apparently poison ivy & melons all grow on related vines. Allergic to all those too. Ugh.

I think pretty much everyone in the family is allergic to molds & shellfish too.

Cantaloupe is one of few fruits that I don’t like. It always tastes like soap to me.

The area in Ohio where I grew up was famous for their cantaloupe. I guess the soil was perfect for growing cantaloupe and “Pandora Melons” were shipped and sold around the state. In the summer it seemed like everyone who had a garden would have tv trays or card tables set up by the road with melons for sale, and the “Pandora Melon” sign.

I was probably the only person who didn’t care for them.

I took most of the yellow squash and turned it into a delicious casserole. My friend stopped by while it was in the oven. We both had 2 servings and then I sent her home with 1/2 of what was left.

I used Cream of Chicken soup, powdered spices (onion, garlic, salt, pepper). I added a small pack of crumbled Ritz crackers into the mix and used 2 cups of Colby Jack cheese. Then I crumbled another small pack of Ritz crackers for a topping.

We went out to the garden & pulled 3 heads of Romaine & 1 head of Buttercrunch lettuce. I washed it up and sent it home with her too.
I also made taco meat to have on hand. I’ll probably freeze some for later.

Attachments

• IMG_2667.jpeg
    IMG_2667.jpeg
    154.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2668.jpeg
    IMG_2668.jpeg
    118.8 KB · Views: 13
I talked myself out of making mushroom barley soup yesterday but made it today. We are still working on the ham and navy bean soup, so I put the new soup in a large container in the fridge. We'll have soup for lunch for quite a while. I made the soup on top the stove today so I didn't have to get out a separate skillet to sweat the veggies before transferring them to the slow cooker. I saw some ads during the holidays for newer crockpots that have a "browning" feature that would eliminate a separate vessel for sauteing vegetables or meats before putting them into the slow cooker. My slow cooker isn't very old, though, so I don't plan on getting a new one just to have this feature.

I talked myself out of making mushroom barley soup yesterday but made it today. We are still working on the ham and navy bean soup, so I put the new soup in a large container in the fridge. We'll have soup for lunch for quite a while. I made the soup on top the stove today so I didn't have to get out a separate skillet to sweat the veggies before transferring them to the slow cooker. I saw some ads during the holidays for newer crockpots that have a "browning" feature that would eliminate a separate vessel for sauteing vegetables or meats before putting them into the slow cooker. My slow cooker isn't very old, though, so I don't plan on getting a new one just to have this feature.
I have one of the slow cookers with the browning feature. I’ve only used it once but have no complaints. It was convenient to not have to use the extra pan to brown the meat on, so less clean up. Not sure how it will hold up, but so far so good, though admittedly only one use isn’t much of a test.

It was a dreary, stormy, sloppy morning here in SWFL. New foster pup Elvis & I did some baking this morning. It was time to restock the freezer. M&M cookie dough & banana bread.

We did some gardening too. Elvis bit the broccoli leaf & spit it out. I’m surprised he didn’t taste the lettuce.

Attachments

• IMG_2699.jpeg
    IMG_2699.jpeg
    137 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2700.jpeg
    IMG_2700.jpeg
    155.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2705.jpeg
    IMG_2705.jpeg
    119.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2707.jpeg
    IMG_2707.jpeg
    156.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2708.jpeg
    IMG_2708.jpeg
    135.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2702.jpeg
    IMG_2702.jpeg
    130.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2710.jpeg
    IMG_2710.jpeg
    184.1 KB · Views: 25
We all have cold or some crud going on so I made a big batch of chicken noodle soup. I’m an “ingredient house” so I had to make it from scratch but did have some boxed stock so I didn’t have to start with the carcass. Making soup while sick isn’t much fun. I’ve been down about a week with it, hoping it lifts soon.

MIL made venison tacos last night. We went spicy on the salsa hoping to cook this out.

We all have cold or some crud going on so I made a big batch of chicken noodle soup. I’m an “ingredient house” so I had to make it from scratch but did have some boxed stock so I didn’t have to start with the carcass. Making soup while sick isn’t much fun. I’ve been down about a week with it, hoping it lifts soon.

MIL made venison tacos last night. We went spicy on the salsa hoping to cook this out.
Hope you all feel better soon!

We keep a few boxes of Mrs. Grass noodle soup in the pantry just in case. It only tastes good to me when I am under the weather.

Sorry that you're under the weather. It's that time of year, and there seems to be a lot going around. Feel better soon.

I have a cookbook from the 70s called Plains Potpourri. It’s made up by the Plains Women’s Club and is mostly Carter family
recipes. Some good ones.
I think that is the exact same cookbook I was referring to!! I found it in a Wisconsin Antique Store several years ago. It was published in 1976. There is an entire Chapter dedicated to 'Gov. Carter's Family Favorites'. There is even a salad recipe from Rosalynn Carter's mother.

She was such an insightful and forward thinking woman,

May Rosalynn Rest In Peace, she was truly a woman ahead of her times.

JMO

Last edited:
For the first time in months, we had takeout breakfast yesterday. We get fish & chips from New York Burgers & Grill occasionally but have not had breakfasts. I had corned beef hash with poached eggs, while DH had a western omelet. The omelet came with hash browns, and we both had rye toast. Portions were huge, and we both decided that we didn't need another big meal for the rest of the day. New York Burgers And Grill

We will see our cardiologist this afternoon after which we'll stop at Nino's. Rain/snow/wind in the forecast for the next few days, so we want to make sure that we have everything we need. We'll get a deep-dish veggie pizza from Jet's for dinner tonight before the Michigan game. Pizza, Wings, and Salads | Jet's Pizza

GO BLUE!

Last edited:
For the first time in months, we had takeout breakfast yesterday. We get fish & chips from New York Burgers & Grill occasionally but have not had breakfasts. I had corned beef hash with poached eggs, while DH had a western omelet. The omelet came with hash browns, and we both had rye toast. Portions were huge, and we both decided that we didn't need another big meal for the rest of the day. New York Burgers And Grill

We will see our cardiologist this afternoon after which we'll stop at Nino's. Rain/snow/wind in the forecast for the next few days, so we want to make sure that we have everything we need. We'll get a deep-dish veggie pizza from Jet's for dinner tonight before the Michigan game. GO BLUE!

Sounds delicious!

My friends and I enjoy getting together for breakfast at a few of our favorite restaurants, and of course when I travel I enjoy trying different breakfast places.

If you are ever in Holland Michigan one of my all- time favorite breakfast spots is Deboer Bakkerij. They have two locations, the north location is a full service restaurant and the breakfasts are unique and excellent. The south location is more casual dine. Both locations have excellent baked goods.

Go Lions!

Hope you all feel better soon!

We keep a few boxes of Mrs. Grass noodle soup in the pantry just in case. It only tastes good to me when I am under the weather.
Isn’t it interesting how chicken soup is almost the universal go-to for when one is not feeling well?

We have come to enjoy eating a Chinese equivalent, congee—or jook, as I call it (I think jook is the Cantonese word for it). It’s essentially rice boiled a long enough time where it starts to ‘melt’ into the broth. Here’s a recipe that is similar to how I have made it:
Chicken Congee

I’m of Japanese heritage, not Chinese, but even the Japanese have a very similar version called Okayu. I can recall my parents making okayu, but I always thought it too bland and boring, as they just used water, not chicken broth.

Feel better, @Tbone144 !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member