Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
We had 18 guests for Birthday lunch last week.

Needed a simple recipe which didnt involve too much prepping and cooking.

Finally opted for Ina Garten's lemon and thyme grilled chicken with satay sauce. From Barefoot Contessa cookbook. Hadnt made it for several years, but always went down well.

Marinaded chicken in lemon juice and thyme, olive oil and black pepper and left overnight.

I fried it in my wok in batches before guests arrived. Then put it in oven dishes with slices of lemon on
top.

Made my own Satay sauce, simpler than Ina's and served with jazmín rice, mixed with onion, sliced almonds, sesame seeds and a dash of sesame oil.

Cucumber, radish salad on little gem leaves.

Guests brought some fabulous desserts which we served with a fruit platter (mixture of the tropical fruits from here, plus imported kiwi, raspberries and blackberries).

As we are never sure what time or how many will turn up...we always have some dips, bread, olives etc.

En fin, we had a good time!

We had 18 guests for Birthday lunch last week.

Needed a simple recipe which didnt involve too much prepping and cooking.

Finally opted for Ina Garten's lemon and thyme grilled chicken with satay sauce. From Barefoot Contessa cookbook. Hadnt made it for several years, but always went down well.

Marinaded chicken in lemon juice and thyme, olive oil and black pepper and left overnight.

I fried it in my wok in batches before guests arrived. Then put it in oven dishes with slices of lemon on
top.

Made my own Satay sauce, simpler than Ina's and served with jazmín rice, mixed with onion, sliced almonds, sesame seeds and a dash of sesame oil.

Cucumber, radish salad on little gem leaves.

Guests brought some fabulous desserts which we served with a fruit platter (mixture of the tropical fruits from here, plus imported kiwi, raspberries and blackberries).

As we are never sure what time or how many will turn up...we always have some dips, bread, olives etc.

En fin, we had a good time!
Ina Garten never fails me!

Ok, so I got the club soda/fizzy water & will be ready to go on the ice cream soda/float tomorrow. In the meantime, though, I decided I'd whip up some waffles. So ok, I tried this recipe asking for buttermilk, butter, etc. All my buttersticks are gone, so I have this tub of flavor butter spread/canola oil, I tried that in there, ecch, so salty. Tried again on my waffles and kind of improvised: self-rising flour, buttermilk (not much, really) white milk (thin things out) heavy brown sugar, lil vanilla. No separate salt, I didn't want another salt bomb. Did the waffle maker then into the broiler to crisp up a little. Topped w/syrup, whip cream, chopped walnuts. SOOO good, yum!!

I use it in salmon patties.
I just made salmon Patties yesterday and they are good but I think I might try Old Bay seasoning- I add a little salt and pepper - but I think it needs something more. Old Bay would be perfect- thanks for the idea!!!!

I just made salmon Patties yesterday and they are good but I think I might try Old Bay seasoning- I add a little salt and pepper - but I think it needs something more. Old Bay would be perfect- thanks for the idea!!!!
I love salmon patties and I have a few different recipes depending on the ingredients I have on hand.

This is my favorite but I don’t always have fresh dill in my herb garden, so sometimes I leave it out.

• 1 (14.75-oz.) can salmon, drained
  • 2 green onions thinly sliced
  • 1 Tbsp. Chopped fresh dill
  • 1/2 c. breadcrumbs
  • 1/4 c. mayonnaise
  • 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
  • 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
  • 1 large egg
  • Kosher salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 tsp Old Bay seasoning

I love salmon patties and I have a few different recipes depending on the ingredients I have on hand.

This is my favorite but I don’t always have fresh dill in my herb garden, so sometimes I leave it out.

• 1/2 c. breadcrumbs
  • 1/4 c. mayonnaise
  • 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
  • 1 large egg
  • Kosher salt
I think I may try your recipe- I love Dijon mustard-- love salmon patties with mashed potatoes!!!!! thanks for this recipe!!!!

• 1/2 c. breadcrumbs
  • 1/4 c. mayonnaise
  • 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
  • 1 large egg
  • Kosher salt

These sound great, definitely going to try. We used to have something slightly similar, but we mixed the salmon (or tinned tuna) with mashed potato, and coated it with the breadcrumbs rather than mixing in. Often called fish cakes in the UK, but that name can cover a multitude of other things here.

They were good but the fish flavour sometimes got lost, which I can't imagine being the case with your patties. Do you fry them or bake them?

When I make baked salmon I mix Dijon mustard with maple syrup to use as marinade for the salmon before baking, and baste halfway through.
This is our favorite prep for salmon, too, although we always grill our fish.

Last edited:
These sound great, definitely going to try. We used to have something slightly similar, but we mixed the salmon (or tinned tuna) with mashed potato, and coated it with the breadcrumbs rather than mixing in. Often called fish cakes in the UK, but that name can cover a multitude of other things here.

They were good but the fish flavour sometimes got lost, which I can't imagine being the case with your patties. Do you fry them or bake them?
I fry my salmon patties, in just a little olive oil.

The mayonnaise in the recipe helps keep them moist.

I like to serve them with mashed potatoes and fresh tomato slices.

I have nice red, ripe tomatoes in my garden now and fresh dill so I am thinking salmon patties for dinner.

Ina Garten never fails me!
I'm not particularly fond of French cuisine - too much butter, cream, too rich, etc. - but I do enjoy some of the more "peasanty" French dishes. I plan to prepare some French dinners during the Paris Olympics and will use two Ina Garten recipes that I've made previously.

Last edited:
Speaking of fresh tomatoes, I planted two Black Prince heirloom tomato plants this year and they produce the best tomatoes. One of our friends planted them last year and shared with us, and they produce tomatoes with excellent flavor and texture.

They taste like the tomatoes my mom and grandpa used to grow. I always plant several varieties of tomatoes every year, some seem to have little flavor even though they come straight from my garden.

These Black Prince tomatoes are flavorful and have a “meaty” texture.

Black Prince tomatoes:

The Black Prince tomato is a medium-sized, round, heirloom tomato that originated in Irkutsk, Siberia. It's known for its rich, fruity flavor, low acidity, and distinctive coloring, which can include shades of red, brown, and green. Black Prince tomatoes are great for eating fresh, in salads, or using in cooking, and they can also be dried and made into tomato paste. They're considered a "true Siberian tomato" that does well in cooler climates and are perfect for patio gardens.

They had this US product "Old Bay" seasoning on sale at our local Aldi here in the UK this week so I bought it on impulse (life on the edge haha). Not sure what I will use it for, maybe on oven wedges/fries?
Anyone who cooks should have Old Bay in their pantry. You can use it on just about anything!

I fry my salmon patties, in just a little olive oil.

The mayonnaise in the recipe helps keep them moist.

I like to serve them with mashed potatoes and fresh tomato slices.

I have nice red, ripe tomatoes in my garden now and fresh dill so I am thinking salmon patties for dinner.

MMM! That has gone on the menu for later in the week (would have been tonight but I just found out we have no salmon in).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Moonlit7
Back