Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Here’s one recipe, though I haven’t tried it. And, to be honest, I have never made them myself. But this recipe sounds like what I remember.

Haha, smiling at HP sauce on the side, because the Japanese accompany this with tonkatsu sauce, which is a similar equivalent brown sauce! Isn’t it interesting?

It is interesting! Japanese is a cuisine I'd love to try more of. About 20 odd years ago I had a spell of a few months working away in London monday to friday, and I found a really great Japanese restaurant near my hotel on Tottenham Court Road. I ate in there once a week, and was usually the only lone diner and the only non-Japanese customer in there, so I'd happily sit on a stool seat on my own watching the sushi chefs at work.

The food was awesome, I remember things like bowls of soup with tofu in, and skewers of grilled heart. And I always had a little jug of warm sake.

It is interesting! Japanese is a cuisine I'd love to try more of. About 20 odd years ago I had a spell of a few months working away in London monday to friday, and I found a really great Japanese restaurant near my hotel on Tottenham Court Road. I ate in there once a week, and was usually the only lone diner and the only non-Japanese customer in there, so I'd happily sit on a stool seat on my own watching the sushi chefs at work.

The food was awesome, I remember things like bowls of soup with tofu in, and skewers of grilled heart. And I always had a little jug of warm sake.
Love your story! You must be adventurous—grilled heart skewers, oh my. I don’t think I’d like to try that, myself. I’ll save those for you. ;)

(I’m in the US and didn’t know what HP sauce was before I started watching Foyle’s War, a British detective series, several years back. I kept my iPad handy and googled HP sauce and so many other things as I watched, because I like to learn. :p)

Love your story! You must be adventurous—grilled heart skewers, oh my. I don’t think I’d like to try that, myself. I’ll save those for you. ;)

(I’m in the US and didn’t know what HP sauce was before I started watching Foyle’s War, a British detective series, several years back. I kept my iPad handy and googled HP sauce and so many other things as I watched, because I like to learn. :p)

I will usually try virtually anything at least once. That has backfired on me a few times, most notably recently when I drank a large glass of a fermented turnip juice in a Turkish restaurant and then, when my wife decided it wasn't for her, I drank hers as well. That didn't go well, I had some sort of reaction after, very extreme :eek:

I thought I'd seen references to HP sauce on American sites so I assumed you have it there too? The predominant flavour in it I'd say is allspice, which is used in Caribbean food as well. We don't use it a lot but there are certain foods it goes really well with - it's fantastic on a bacon sandwich.

These sound great, definitely going to try. We used to have something slightly similar, but we mixed the salmon (or tinned tuna) with mashed potato, and coated it with the breadcrumbs rather than mixing in. Often called fish cakes in the UK, but that name can cover a multitude of other things here.

They were good but the fish flavour sometimes got lost, which I can't imagine being the case with your patties. Do you fry them or bake them?
I fry the salmon patties- I make them so they are very crisp on the outside and soft on the inside. I love them that way. I am going to try some spices that IceIce9 uses in her patties

I fry the salmon patties- I make them so they are very crisp on the outside and soft on the inside. I love them that way. I am going to try some spices that IceIce9 uses in her patties

Yep, I'm going to try that recipe as well, probably on Sunday - will report back.

I thought I'd seen references to HP sauce on American sites so I assumed you have it there too? The predominant flavour in it I'd say is allspice, which is used in Caribbean food as well. We don't use it a lot but there are certain foods it goes really well with - it's fantastic on a bacon sandwich.

Tamarind-based sauce.

I will usually try virtually anything at least once. That has backfired on me a few times, most notably recently when I drank a large glass of a fermented turnip juice in a Turkish restaurant and then, when my wife decided it wasn't for her, I drank hers as well. That didn't go well, I had some sort of reaction after, very extreme :eek:
We are often served fermented maize or pineapple "chicha" at large gatherings, its cheap to make. Have tried both and immediately felt uncomfortable, plus they are sweet which I don't like. Only reasonable versión was a beetroot chicha in a Peruvian restaurant, but served in a shot glass as a taster.

After I learned what it was,I looked in the supermarkets for it. One day,I found it and bought it. In the tv series, a lady called it simply “brown sauce”, not by name, which is what got me curious enough to look it up. She wanted it for her eggs.

I don’t think it’s readily found in most grocery stores here, but it’s in some. Another item I tried looking for is those Heinz beans in tomato sauce. Not easy to find either item, at least where I am in Southern California.

Anyway, I didn’t like it with eggs, and I really didn’t know what else to eat it with!

After I learned what it was,I looked in the supermarkets for it. One day,I found it and bought it. In the tv series, a lady called it simply “brown sauce”, not by name, which is what got me curious enough to look it up. She wanted it for her eggs.

I don’t think it’s readily found in most grocery stores here, but it’s in some. Another item I tried looking for is those Heinz beans in tomato sauce. Not easy to find either item, at least where I am in Southern California.

Anyway, I didn’t like it with eggs, and I really didn’t know what else to eat it with!

Yes, it is usually just referred to as brown sauce here, and HP is not the only brand. The other main brand is called Daddie's Sauce (sounds a bit of a cringeworthy name these days) and that has a slightly different flavour. PersonalIy I do quite like it on the side with scrambled eggs, but the main use case tends to be with bacon or sausage sandwiches, or on a full English breakfast.

Talking of California though, I'm a massive fan of Michael Connelly's Bosch books , so I'm often googling foods from there, such as French Dip sandwiches and arrachera tacos that we don't get here. And Dirty Martinis in Mussos.

Last edited:
Yes, it is usually just referred to as brown sauce here, and HP is not the only brand. The other main brand is called Daddie's Sauce (sounds a bit of a cringeworthy name these days) and that has a slightly different flavour. PersonalIy I do quite like it on the side with scrambled eggs, but the main use case tends to be with bacon or sausage sandwiches, or on a full English breakfast.

Talking of California though, I'm a massive fan of Michael Connelly's Bosch books , so I'm often googling foods from there, such as French Dip sandwiches and arrachera tacos that we don't get here. And Dirty Martinis in Mussos.
My dad loved Michael Connelly’s Bosch books, too, and was the one who introduced the books to me and my husband! The real locales are what makes it added fun, because we know some of the places.

I am not familiar with arrachera tacos. Is it what I call carne asada tacos?

My dad loved Michael Connelly’s Bosch books, too, and was the one who introduced the books to me and my husband! The real locales are what makes it added fun, because we know some of the places.

I am not familiar with arrachera tacos. Is it what I call carne asada tacos?

Yes I think it's the same thing. I've read all the Bosch books now, and working my way through the Lincoln Lawyer ones.
Hmm, brown sauce in rainy England or tacos and martinis in California? Let me think a minute ;)

When I make baked salmon I mix Dijon mustard with maple syrup to use as marinade for the salmon before baking, and baste halfway through.
I must remember to try that!
I use a similar mixture in the process of cooking a sausage + veggies skillet supper.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Houndgirl2003
Back