Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I had a roommate many years ago who made Ratatouille and it was absolutely delicious. Haven't had it in years and probably won't make it, but it is a great dish that does involve a lot of prep
I had never heard of Ratatouille until the Disney movie was released in 2007. My son and I decided to search for recipes and it has been a summer favorite ever since.

I had never heard of Ratatouille until the Disney movie was released in 2007. My son and I decided to search for recipes and it has been a summer favorite ever since.
My mom made ratatouille every summer/fall with the bounty from my dad's garden. It's always been one of my favorite veggie dishes - as a side or entree.

Last edited:
My mom made ratatouille every summer/fall with the bounty from my dad's garden. It's always been one of my favorite veggie dishes - as a side or entree.

Ratatouille brings back such wonderful memories of my dad's garden and my mom's cooking. It is one of my favorite dishes ever. My mom used to make ratatouille stir fry style. In addition to the vegetables and basil, she used to add and saute cut up chunks of chicken.

Oh, do I miss her cooking!

You had me until I saw it was "dusted with powdered sugar". Nope, no thank you. I don't do fried chicken and waffles either even though I'm southern born and bred. No sweet meats, please, and I don't want powdered sugar on anything (no, I do not eat donuts as a rule).

You had me until I saw it was "dusted with powdered sugar". Nope, no thank you. I don't do fried chicken and waffles either even though I'm southern born and bred. No sweet meats, please, and I don't want powdered sugar on anything (no, I do not eat donuts as a rule).
I don’t understand the “dusted with powdered sugar” because I’ve had Monte Cristos at different restaurants (not recently but years ago) and never had powdered sugar served on them.

Maybe that is unique to Cheddar’s?

The first time (and several times after at WDW)) I had a Monte Cristo sandwich was at Disneyland in 1973. It was dusted with powdered sugar and served with too-sweet raspberry compote. Since then, I've tried Monte Cristos in other restaurants: Some are dusted with powdered sugar, some aren't. Raspberry compote seems to be the traditional side for dunking, but I prefer blueberry compote that I make frequently. It's good on pork chops or pork tenderloin.

I'm not from the south but never understood the chicken & waffle thing. When we attended a wedding in Raleigh some years ago, we found a charming little cafe near our hotel that was only open for breakfast and lunch. We liked it so much that we went twice. Chicken & waffles was on the menu, and we thought it was odd. Shrimp & grits sounded strange, too, but I had it the second morning and enjoyed it immensely. I also had scrapple that I had never had previously. I'm up for trying new things but chicken & waffles just doesn't sound right to me. JMO

Last edited:
Southerner here, but I had never heard of chicken and waffles until it became trendy a few years ago. I think if you like the sweet/salty combo that you would enjoy them. I like chicken dipped in honey/mustard and the sweet of the honey with the tang of the mustard is good to me. I’d probably try them

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kellieshoes
Back