Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Made a broccoli, bacon, cheddar, salad with red onion and golden raisins. And a trifle with sliced pound cake, peaches, strawberries, and raspberries. I took huckleberries, and blackberries and boiled them down with peach Crown Royal, Framboise, sugar, strained the liquid, poured it over the cake. Should be good tomorrow with whipped cream.

This is the picnic menu:
Sliced barbecued steak
Grilled zucchini, mushrooms, onions, peppers.
Broccoli salad
Trifle

Made a broccoli, bacon, cheddar, salad with red onion and golden raisins. And a trifle with sliced pound cake, peaches, strawberries, and raspberries. I took huckleberries, and blackberries and boiled them down with peach Crown Royal, Framboise, sugar, strained the liquid, poured it over the cake. Should be good tomorrow with whipped cream.

This is the picnic menu:
Sliced barbecued steak
Broccoli salad
Trifle
What time?

This is the picnic menu:
Sliced barbecued steak
Broccoli salad
Trifle
Oh I love trifle, that squelchy sound it makes when you scoop the first portion out makes my mouth water! Do you make yours with sherry, custard, and heavy cream? I only make it at Christmas now as it takes me the rest of the year to work off the calories lol.

Does anyone here freeze beets? I have a bumper crop of beets and will need to harvest them soon because they've grown so large. Usually I wait until late fall to harvest them and then just store them in my root cellar. But if I pick them now, I'm sure they won't keep. So I'm thinking of freezing them. Advice?

Does anyone here freeze beets? I have a bumper crop of beets and will need to harvest them soon because they've grown so large. Usually I wait until late fall to harvest them and then just store them in my root cellar. But if I pick them now, I'm sure they won't keep. So I'm thinking of freezing them. Advice?
My daughter does. She parboils some for later baking and pickles the rest and freezes some of those if she doesn't think her family will eat the pickled ones in good time.

I roast beets with garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. I spray a foil lined pan with Pam cooking spray. Chop and coat the beets with just a touch of olive oil. Add spices and stir to coat. Bale at 350 degrees. When they are close to fork tender, add real butter and gently stir. This will add a richness. Once cool, freeze. I do these in my meal prep dishes and love them.

Super easy to cook in an Instant Pot if you have one. I also really like them lacto-fermented.

Edit: spelling

My brother brought me 9 or 10 tomatoes and some green peppers from his garden. I knew hubby and I wouldn’t be able to eat all the tomatoes before they went bad. So, I made Goulash. I usually make it once or twice during our summer garden season.

I put the tomatoes in boiling water just a few minutes to loosen the skin from the tomatoes. I take the skin off and put the tomatoes in a blender to make juice. Pour the juice into a soup pan, add diced onion and a lot of fresh picked diced green peppers. Let the tomato, onion and green pepper mixture slowly simmer about 45 min. Then add some cooked ground beef and cooked pasta shells. We put it on mashed potatoes!

I hadn't made this fabulous chicken yet this summer, so we had it on Sunday. Marinated the 4# bird overnight, then DH cooked it on the grill. The skin gets crispy, and the fragrance of the lemon and herbs is wonderful. We use a patio brick wrapped in foil to keep the butterflied chicken flat on the grill.
https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/tuscan-lemon-chicken-recipe-1943286

I don't do much baking in the summer and haven't baked at all so far this season. I've been craving lemon bars and will bake these over the weekend.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/lemon-bars-recipe-1941483

(Yes, imo wash it EVEN IF there is no CV on it. People try that stuff on, ETC. These items make the journey from China or wherever they are made and come in contact with all kinds of people and germs and surfaces, including at the checkout. I always wash new stuff before wearing it. For all you know the last person who tried it on could have had scabies. Also, the dyes and chemicals...MOO.)
Eta: Many years back I read article about why you always should wash items before wearing them. Iirc, it was pretty narly.

Really? That’s interesting. I can’t say I’ve heard that before.

I haven’t read the article yet, but I am LASER FOCUSED on Winter. I’m still working like mad to get basic things like rice and broth. You guys wouldn’t belieeeeve the trouble I’ve been having, and this is the time when things have even opened for manufacturing, supplies are being replenished, restrictions have been loosened, etc. I expect nothing short of complete chaos in winter, jmo.

WOW just checked the local Walmart, nope no chicken or beef broth. The local Kroger has but .40 more than the last time I purchased.

Can always boil some meat and/or veggies and freeze the broth. I have a couple of ice trays I use to freeze, then pop in a freezer bag and use as I need. I make chicken broth with thighs, boil them, save the broth and throw some BBQ sauce on the thighs.

Thought most products were back in stock.

Re: the whole food supply thing, not only do I anticipate shortages on some things, I also anticipate higher prices. We are already seeing this. Last I looked, some things were up about 5%. Meat prices seem to have stabilized in my area. I remember a time when beef prices soared up to $20 a pound on steaks.

eta: Again, another thing, is if you build your pantry slowly, there is no hoarding and there will be more available for others.

Last edited:
Re: the whole food supply thing, not only do I anticipate shortages on some things, I also anticipate higher prices. We are already seeing this. Last I looked, some things were up about 5%. Meat prices seem to have stabilized in my area. I remember at time when beef prices soared up to $20 a pound on steaks.

eta: Again, another thing, is if you build your pantry slowly, there is no hoarding and there will be more for others.

The good thing is that people don't need meat to survive - or even to enjoy good food. Slowly stocking up on lentils, kidney beans, pinto beans, chickpeas, black beans, nuts - and of course canned tuna/salmon - for good backup might be a good idea.

I wasn't a big fan of beans when I grew up in my meat-and-3-veg English born family, but my pescatarian DD has since guided me on how to make many different and really tasty dishes using beans for the protein.

We also use mushrooms a lot - not a protein source, but definitely bulk up a meatless meal. They sort of replace the meat.

There are tons of recipes on the internet as well ... they seriously are very tasty.

Last edited:
The good thing is that people don't need meat to survive - or even to enjoy good food. Slowly stocking up on lentils, kidney beans, pinto beans, chickpeas, black beans, nuts - and of course canned tuna/salmon - for good backup might be a good idea.

I wasn't a big fan of beans when I grew up in my meat-and-3-veg English born family, but my pescatarian DD has since guided me on how to make many different and really tasty dishes using beans for the protein.

We also use mushrooms a lot - not a protein source, but definitely bulk up a meatless meal. They sort of replace the meat.

There are tons of recipes on the internet as well ... they seriously are very tasty.
Same here, lover of chickpeas (just bought tahini to make hummus too). I dont eat a lot of meat. Will typically use aubergines, halloumi cheese, feta etc instead.

We're not so much into broth here either. I use gel stock cubes or veggie stock cubes. And wine with herbs!

Sorry, not just a menu ramble - just for the store cupboard suggestion list. Feta and halloumi have long shelf life too.

WOW just checked the local Walmart, nope no chicken or beef broth. The local Kroger has but .40 more than the last time I purchased.

Can always boil some meat and/or veggies and freeze the broth. I have a couple of ice trays I use to freeze, then pop in a freezer bag and use as I need. I make chicken broth with thighs, boil them, save the broth and throw some BBQ sauce on the thighs.

Interesting because I’ve been trying to get chicken bullion cubes since May for my pantry and Aldi (multiple locations) has not had it but they do have liquid broth

Re: the whole food supply thing, not only do I anticipate shortages on some things, I also anticipate higher prices. We are already seeing this. Last I looked, some things were up about 5%. Meat prices seem to have stabilized in my area. I remember a time when beef prices soared up to $20 a pound on steaks.

eta: Again, another thing, is if you build your pantry slowly, there is no hoarding and there will be more available for others.
I have to balance hurricane season with my freezer meat - I picked up a pork loin at Costco and divided it up and just froze that and I just plan to continue my stocking and refilling my pantry slowly

Interesting because I’ve been trying to get chicken bullion cubes since May for my pantry and Aldi (multiple locations) has not had it but they do have liquid broth

Thinking of the pantry .... dried onion, canned tomato, mixed dried herbs, a little salt (celery/carrot as well if available) combined with water and simmered for an hour can add a great deal of flavour - if bullion/broth becomes unavailable or in very short supply.

Yep. It’s taken me six weeks to find broth. I JUST recently found the rice I like. This is checking almost every day for weeks, months. I ordered broth twice, only to later get refunded for no stock. (No pun intended).

See, you can “order” it, but whether or not you actually get it is another story.

For me, it’s also extra challenging because I’ve trained myself not to eat stuff out of a box for the most part. I’m used to cooking things fresh from scratch. I’m always looking for no msg, gluten, high sodium, high fructose corn syrup, modified food starch, preservatives, chemicals, etc. So there is even more challenge for me there. I had to eat less desirable stuff there in March bc that was all they had. I don’t want to get stuck with that come winter.

Homemade stock with wine, veggies, herbs is great. But if there’s no chicken, or produce...also, I add broth to the canned goods to make it go further, otherwise one can of soup barely fills me up. It will also be handy for other recipes come winter.

Last edited:

yes! this. all of it.

I've found that even when one of your favourite foods come back, sometimes it's not the same.

I'd found a new block of cheese that I really liked, and found myself in the kitchen a lot more cutting slices off.
It was a few dollars more than I thought was my limit on how much I wanted to pay, but that was soon forgotten.
Anyway due to hoarders, it disappeared for months, then came back with a slightly different name and finally the correct name one was back.
Except it's not the same. It's now so bland and I no longer want to make those trips to the kitchen.
I don't even like it in sandwiches and that says a lot because I usually love cheese sandwiches and mostly enjoy all kinds of cheese that way.
What I think is that due to the shortage of some ingredients, they've either substituted something or omitted something.

And the hunt for a replacement is on my list.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member