Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Indoor ventilation systems have been linked to other illnesses besides COVID-19. I'm sure you know about Legionnaires disease. Legionnaires' disease - Symptoms and causes

Restaurants are not the only indoor spaces that have A/C, heating, fans, other types of ventilation. If air-conditioned venues are a primary source of coronavirus, we are all doomed because A/C is everywhere. I don't think that I will be any less safe in a restaurant that takes major precautions to keep patrons safe than when I go physical therapy at an outpatient hospital facility, a supermarket, a pharmacy. Employees are wearing masks in all venues, but there are patrons who are not following local and/or state guidelines about wearing protective face coverings. As time goes by and more restrictions are loosened, I'm sure there will be many more people who will not wear masks. If Covid is spread easily through interior ventilation systems, anyone who enters a public space will be at risk.
I’m thinking a lot more employers will listen when employees complain about sick buildings this winter. Especially if the employees get the flu or this virus. I really see a shift in commercial office space in the future. There isn’t going to be a need for as much. JMO people who have always wanted to work from home can now. Even if they have to change employers.

If they could retrofit the office buildings with new duct work, add UV lights and new A/C systems then people would stay healthier. That would in turn, mean less sick time. I believe it will take years tho for this to happen, if at all.

ETA: I should have put this in the other thread. Oops. They’re all blending together at this point.

Oh, and I’m down to my last dollar store bag of Smarties. Sigh.

Gods no, I would not dare to go to a restaurant.. I even get super anxious just going to necessary medical visits or labs, or the bi-weekly costco run to get supplies. I could not , can not or will not I guess I should say, handle any recreational outings until next year when hopefully, a broad segment of the population ( like, 85% or so) has been vaccinated. I'll wait. I've seen and read what this virus can do to a body. I'll just wait.

Gods no, I would not dare to go to a restaurant.. I even get super anxious just going to necessary medical visits or labs, or the bi-weekly costco run to get supplies. I could not , can not or will not I guess I should say, handle any recreational outings until next year when hopefully, a broad segment of the population ( like, 85% or so) has been vaccinated. I'll wait. I've seen and read what this virus can do to a body. I'll just wait.

I have an appointment with my ophthalmologist tomorrow and am a bit apprehensive about it. This is the appointment during which I will have a complete eye exam, refraction, etc. and get Rx for new glasses. I'll probably have to be there for at least an hour, perhaps longer. This will be my first medical visit since the pandemic began (except for physical therapy sessions that end today). Patients must wear masks, temperatures are taken, hand sanitizer must be used. I'll report on the experience after I've been there. My six-month dental visit is June 30. Obviously, I can't wear a mask while my teeth are being cleaned, but dentist and hygienist always wear masks and gloves.

Last edited:
@BetteDavisEyes good luck with that eye exam. I had mine with a mask on, that kept fogging up. I flunked the machine that tests for macular degeneration and field loss, because the lens was too foggy.

@BetteDavisEyes good luck with that eye exam. I had mine with a mask on, that kept fogging up. I flunked the machine that tests for macular degeneration and field loss, because the lens was too foggy.

I hate the visual field test! I don't mind it for my left eye but know that I'm failing with my right eye. I'm a bit leery of the close contact with techs and doctor, but it's something that I have to do. My original appointment was scheduled in early April. I definitely want to get new glasses because I'm tired of having my current frames adjusted ever couple of months. I had them adjusted in February, and they are now not sitting properly on my nose. I'm sure Dr. M and his staff are taking every precaution to keep themselves and patients safe.

Last edited:
After reopening, restaurants again shutting their doors as coronavirus flares

Some restaurants that had reopened in states now seeing a rebound in coronavirus cases are again having to shut down — a scenario public health experts had warned about and that business owners had feared.

In Texas, which started its reopening May 1 after weeks of being locked down, at least a dozen restaurants in and around Houston have recently posted announcements of temporary shutdowns to sanitize their establishments and test employees after cases of the virus emerged.

The city's Taste of Texas also temporarily closed after an employee tested positive, the steak house said Saturday in a post on social media. "Once 100 percent testing of our Taste of Texas team is complete, we will reopen," the eatery stated. A similar statement came a day earlier from the Relish Restaurant & Bar, also in Houston, which said it was temporarily closing to test all of its workers after one employee became infected...

This sounds grim :( DH and I may very well re-think our anniversary plans. The restaurant has been doing curbside pickup since Mother's Day, so we can always place an order, pick it up, and enjoy our dinner with a nice bottle of wine at home.

After reopening, restaurants again shutting their doors as coronavirus flares

Some restaurants that had reopened in states now seeing a rebound in coronavirus cases are again having to shut down — a scenario public health experts had warned about and that business owners had feared.

In Texas, which started its reopening May 1 after weeks of being locked down, at least a dozen restaurants in and around Houston have recently posted announcements of temporary shutdowns to sanitize their establishments and test employees after cases of the virus emerged.

The city's Taste of Texas also temporarily closed after an employee tested positive, the steak house said Saturday in a post on social media. "Once 100 percent testing of our Taste of Texas team is complete, we will reopen," the eatery stated. A similar statement came a day earlier from the Relish Restaurant & Bar, also in Houston, which said it was temporarily closing to test all of its workers after one employee became infected...

This sounds grim :( DH and I may very well re-think our anniversary plans. The restaurant has been doing curbside pickup since Mother's Day, so we can always place an order, pick it up, and enjoy our dinner with a nice bottle of wine at home.

That sounds like a great plan. We have been doing pizza once a week now, from a small local place. Our small business owners are just struggling now.

That sounds like a great plan. We have been doing pizza once a week now, from a small local place. Our small business owners are just struggling now.

DH and I have continued our once-weekly takeout throughout the pandemic. We alternate between pizza (Jet's) and sandwiches from a Greek-themed diner type restaurant (Honey Tree). We'd like to go out to a very nice restaurant for our anniversary (Picano's), but if we think it might not be safe, we will get dinners to bring home and enjoy in the safety of our own home. We have a reservation but can always cancel. We don't eat out as much as others do, but it's nice to have dinner out for special occasions :)

My mystery produce box this week has a buttercup squash! I’ve never had one but my Aunt says she loves them. I’ve never met a squash I didn’t like. It also has tart apples already cut up. Now, I am not a tart apple fan but... I found a recipe that I can use with my buttercup squash and tart apples! I’m so easily amused huh?

Buttercup Squash with Apples (Cooking for 2)

You can see in the photo, they gave me 2 gallons of milk. I will be sharing those for sure. I’m still working on the gallon they gave me last week.

My other items are 3 eggplants, an onion, kale, tomatoes, romaine, 2 pre-made salads.

Customers are reportedly having tantrums over wearing masks

After the first weekend Metro Detroit bars and restaurants were able to reopen and welcome back customers, some in the industry are reporting less-than-polite behavior among customers.

Most stem from refusals to wear masks.

As restaurants are limiting capacity, stretched thin with fewer staff members and more cleaning protocols, some customers are becoming argumentative over being asked to wear a simple face covering while in the building...

Customers are reportedly having tantrums over wearing masks

After the first weekend Metro Detroit bars and restaurants were able to reopen and welcome back customers, some in the industry are reporting less-than-polite behavior among customers.

Most stem from refusals to wear masks.

As restaurants are limiting capacity, stretched thin with fewer staff members and more cleaning protocols, some customers are becoming argumentative over being asked to wear a simple face covering while in the building...
And the jerks just keep coming out of the woodwork.... stay your arse home if you don't like it. Every single jerk was probably on camera, therefore, I vote we publish the video. Let everyone see their stupidity, their lack of caring about everyone but themselves. Maybe when a bunch of them are are crucified in the media, lose their jobs, lose their privilege of having a bar to go to, they'll start acting like an adult, instead of a petulant little 12 year old.

While I was at the eye doctor yesterday, DH took himself out for breakfast at Honey Tree Grille where we like to go for breakfast and get frequent takeout. At 10:30 on a weekday, there weren't many diners, and DH was happy to see our favorite waitress. The few folks who were having breakfast were well-spaced, and staff were wearing masks. DH wanted to see what it was like to have a meal in a restaurant under Michigan guidelines for reopening during the pandemic. He said it's obvious that every precaution is being taken to keep patrons and staff safe.

^ I cooked the lamb mixture, scooped out and baked the eggplant, and will do the cheese topping when I'm ready to bake the lamb-stuffed eggplant. I reduced ingredients because I'm only making one large eggplant. Neither of us likes oregano, so I used Zatar for spice. (Zatar is my new favorite spice). I stirred 2 oz. of the goat cheese into the meat mixture and will use 2 oz. in the topping along with the ricotta and egg yolk. We love lamb and eggplant, and I think this is going to be fabulous :) I also made a simple salad with Persian cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, red onion.

I was on my feet for more than an hour which my PT advised me not to do :oops: Standing for long periods of time puts undo stress on hips. I will now sit down with my feet up and watch a movie.

A04F735F-E087-4004-96C9-929AAA97BE9F.jpeg As we approach the holiday I know many of us will be staying at home / may I offer a lovely sangria recipe? It’s adapted from Columbia’s - I use Aldi box wine - red or white - a grapefruit, lemon, strawberries or raspberries, one cup of simple syrup (1/2 cup sugar 1/2 cup water bring to a boil simmer for 5 minutes and cool) a dollop of brandy (I like peach about 1 cup) mix the fruit, wine and syrup and brandy and chill - serve with a splash of champagne (Aldi Burlwood 4.99) the box wine at Aldi is 4 bottles 10.89 the brandy can be omitted if you don’t drink it - always a big hit and super inexpensive - refreshing for summer and really pretty to serve
B91685DF-0955-41D2-A1FF-CE40F52C2F88.jpegA04F735F-E087-4004-96C9-929AAA97BE9F.jpeg

We are fostering a new furbaby and when I made a big chef salad today, she got 1/2 a boiled egg and skin off the turkey breast. The salad was yummy after a morning on the beach. I met a friend at sunrise and it was beautiful. By the time I left at noon, it was getting really busy.

I chopped up bacon and then forgot to add it to my chef salad. Guess that means a BLT for later!

This is “Nana” an 8 year old mix breed making friends with my youngest.

Attachments

• 221ABB7D-08F6-4E95-B80E-30447785D92C.jpeg
    221ABB7D-08F6-4E95-B80E-30447785D92C.jpeg
    118.8 KB · Views: 26
4574.gif

It's only 6:30 here on the Olympic Peninsula in Washington state. We're about to make a typical 4th of July dinner - kosher hot dogs, chips and corn on the cob. I was going to make Mexican street corn (Elotes) which is sooo soooo good - but it turns out we don't have cotija cheese so hubby will just throw it on the grill to char it a bit. I boil water and add a splash of lemon juice, either fresh or bottled, then put the corn in the pot, cover it and remove it from the heat. It's done in 10 minutes. Then on the grill just for a char.

He did make a yummy improvised quick onion relish though:

Minced onion
Butter
A splash of apple cider vinegar
A little brown sugar, sparingly to taste

Saute the onion in butter until very lightly caramelized then add the vinegar and sugar. Usually you let it chill and meld for a couple hours but it's pretty tasty right out of the pan.

So, a kind of boring yet all-American 4th of July.

sharing from the main thread - many think we may need to stock up and hunker down again.

Hi Seenit,

Imo, it’s the same things we were talking about in Feb:

1. Make sure you have your prescriptions ready to go / try to get a 90 day refill prescribed and get it now. This will ensure you don’t have to go to the pharmacy, or face any possible shortages. Also see if your pharmacy delivers.

2. Have your pantry stocked with shelf stable goods that can sustain: soups, broth, rice, beans, pasta, sauces, condiments. I say condiments because they help give some excitement and variety to the banal. And if you have a ready made sauce, it’ll suffice for no fresh ingredients.

3. Have an extra bottle of bleach on hand. We know this kills the virus, and it goes a long way, better than wipes, imo, which is hard to find anyway. It can be diluted and you can get a whole bucket out of just a little bleach, with the proper ratios.

4. Have all your pet goods, including treats, chews and medications. (I say chews because I forgot those the last time and my dog was not happy).

5. Any over the counter things you need, a big bottle of Tylenol, tums, etc.

6. Have minimal toiletries- soap, etc.

If you slowly try to get these, say a few extra cans here and there when you shop, then there’s no hoarding going on and less strain on supply chains when stuff hits the fan. It’s also economically easier than having to suddenly buy a bunch of stuff. Plus, you can get it now while it is available.

I’ve realized since March what I do and don’t want to live without. I’ve realized I don’t want to live without cheese and mustard lol, especially if I’m stuck eating sandwiches all the time. I think this is what you should think about: what can and can’t you live without. If you are stuck in your house during the cold months, what will you want? I have some extra teabags and coffee.

I learned potatoes were impossible to find. So the past month I’ve bought potatoes, boiled, chopped and frozen them in small portions. This way I can just grab a small portion for soup, or casserole, or hash browns or mashed.

I have 4 stackable containers in my freezer. Each container has a pack of bacon, a pack of cheese, a pack of tortillas, a pack of lunchmeat, some meat, vegetables and potatoes.

I also have bought things like minced onion, garlic powder etc should fresh produce be a problem.

I wonder if toilet paper will become extinct again. I’ve gotten a couple extra packs of those now while it’s available, just incase.

These are a few thoughts. If I think of anything else I’ll tag ya.
@margarita25

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member