Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this where we go to find ideas for our Covid 19-pounds diet? ;)

I still had a crisper full of apples from our Northern Spy tree and made them into applesauce this week.
The recipe is easy, fairly low in sugar, and I completely omitted the butter, so my version was no-fat. It is quite tasty.
Healthy Applesauce Oat Muffins

I still had a crisper full of apples from our Northern Spy tree and made them into applesauce this week.
The recipe is easy, fairly low in sugar, and I completely omitted the butter, so my version was no-fat. It is quite tasty.
Oh those sound like something I can convert to gluten free, egg free and dairy free. I had to save that recipe. Do you freeze any?

I find it is easier to bake batches and freeze when they’re are no preservatives. If you leave anything on the counter it molds, even in the A/C in SWFL.

Fun - and funny - food quiz :D I'm 70 and hadn't heard of, much less tasted, most of these foods. How many times will you say, "No. Just no"? Would You Say Yay Or Nay To These Vintage Foods?
I remember some of those fancy jello salads from the late 1960s, that were a combination of meat or fish, jello, chopped up veggies and mayo or salad dressing. I used to see them at dinner parties and when my parents entertained. I was a child and always thought they looked disgusting, never took a bite of any of them.

I was fascinated by the designs, the fish shaped ones were especially interesting. They had olives for eyes.

I found some jello cookbooks from the 50s and 60s and they feature some elaborate meat and jello creations. Most have chopped meat or fish and mayo for the main ingredients and of course jello.

My mom had a cool collection of jello molds that my brothers and I liked to look at/play with. All different shapes and designs. She mostly just made jello in the molds with fruit and sometimes marshmallows for us kids.

Our school lunch ladies used to serve us something called “perfection salad” that had lime or lemon jello full of chopped carrots and celery. Yechhh.

Oh those sound like something I can convert to gluten free, egg free and dairy free. I had to save that recipe. Do you freeze any?

I find it is easier to bake batches and freeze when they’re are no preservatives. If you leave anything on the counter it molds, even in the A/C in SWFL.

Yes, I think in the comments another writer posts that she or he made them gf, egg and dairy free. I might freeze some next time if I can get them to the freezer before they are all eaten. ;)

I remember some of those fancy jello salads from the late 1960s, that were a combination of meat or fish, jello, chopped up veggies and mayo or salad dressing. I used to see them at dinner parties and when my parents entertained. I was a child and always thought they looked disgusting, never took a bite of any of them.

I was fascinated by the designs, the fish shaped ones were especially interesting. They had olives for eyes.

I found some jello cookbooks from the 50s and 60s and they feature some elaborate meat and jello creations. Most have chopped meat or fish and mayo for the main ingredients and of course jello.

My mom had a cool collection of jello molds that my brothers and I liked to look at/play with. All different shapes and designs. She mostly just made jello in the molds with fruit and sometimes marshmallows for us kids.

Our school lunch ladies used to serve us something called “perfection salad” that had lime or lemon jello full of chopped carrots and celery. Yechhh.

Haha! Everyone's age can be determined by their collection of jello recipes.

Haha! Everyone's age can be determined by their collection of jello recipes.
Try this one, if you are brave:

Seafood Mousse

1 envelope unflavored gelatin
1/4 cup cold water
1/2 cup boiling water
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 tablespoon grated onion
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 cups fish (halibut, salmon or tuna), drained and finely chopped
1 tablespoon capers, chopped
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
1/8 teaspoon dried tarragon
1/8 teaspoon dried crushed marjoram
1 cup heavy cream, whipped
Carrot strips and sliced olives (optional)

Soften gelatin in cold water; add boiling water and stir until gelatin dissolves. Cool. Add mayonnaise, lime juice, onion, salt and pepper; mix well and chill until mixture begins to set. Fold in fish, capers, parsley, tarragon, marjoram, and whipped cream. Pour into an oiled fish mold and chill until firm. Unmold on serving platter and, if desired, garnish with carrot strips and stuffed

Attachments

• 7FADF127-542A-414C-8113-DB6A8987F946.jpeg
    7FADF127-542A-414C-8113-DB6A8987F946.jpeg
    219.8 KB · Views: 4
My Grandmother used to make a "Bloody Mary" gelatin salad. So cool and refreshing in the summer. With a side of ice cold shrimp.

Try this one, if you are brave:

Seafood Mousse

1 envelope unflavored gelatin
1/4 cup cold water
1/2 cup boiling water
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 tablespoon grated onion
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 cups fish (halibut, salmon or tuna), drained and finely chopped
1 tablespoon capers, chopped
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
1/8 teaspoon dried tarragon
1/8 teaspoon dried crushed marjoram
1 cup heavy cream, whipped
Carrot strips and sliced olives (optional)

Soften gelatin in cold water; add boiling water and stir until gelatin dissolves. Cool. Add mayonnaise, lime juice, onion, salt and pepper; mix well and chill until mixture begins to set. Fold in fish, capers, parsley, tarragon, marjoram, and whipped cream. Pour into an oiled fish mold and chill until firm. Unmold on serving platter and, if desired, garnish with carrot strips and stuffed

Oh my! A person might have to work up an appetite.

Have any of you been to restaurants now that dining in is permitted in most places? If so, please share your experiences with social distancing, service, menus, masks, etc. DH and I have dinner reservations at our favorite restaurant for our anniversary later this month. Picano's reopened for dine-in service this past week, so we figure they will have things under control by June 25. It will be nice to see the staff since we haven't been there since Valentine's Day, and we're curious about how the restaurant will function amid pandemic restrictions.

Have any of you been to restaurants now that dining in is permitted in most places? If so, please share your experiences with social distancing, service, menus, masks, etc. DH and I have dinner reservations at our favorite restaurant for our anniversary later this month. Picano's reopened for dine-in service this past week, so we figure they will have things under control by June 25. It will be nice to see the staff since we haven't been there since Valentine's Day, and we're curious about how the restaurant will function amid pandemic restrictions.
I have driven and/or walked past quite a few restaurants that are offering patio dining. Too many people too close together for my preferences. I will wait.

I’ve been to the local Metro Diner. One of my best friends daughter works there. We give her a heads up, she gets us a table to keep us safe from everyone. We all wear our masks unless we are eating. Twice we’ve chosen to eat outside, at the farthest table, so there is no traffic constantly walking by.

Tomorrow we are meeting for brunch at KiKi’s Cafe. I think all they have are booths. There are usually only 4-6 of us.

Our beach sunsets and beach picnics are spread out too. These are my closest friends who watch out for me. They take precautions routinely and have, since I was diagnosed with cancer 3 years ago. One friend has a parent dying from cancer. We all get it. We all care enough to be safe.

I had breakfast at Perkins. They met us outside the door and took our cell phone number. Then they had us wait in the car until our table was ready. They called us. We walked past a front booth where an employee was sanitizing menus. Our server wore a mask. All employees did. They were only seating people at every other table. We were spaced far enough apart. The server made a show of wiping our table down in front of us as we sat down. Salt and pepper were brought to us in those tiny single serve paper packets. No water glasses on the table. Nothing on the table now that I think about it. We had to sidle past some people coming in as we were going out even though they had a rope up to herd people. Their lobby area is not huge. The food was great and it was nice to eat a breakfast that I did not have to cook. It's my favorite meal to eat out.

No way. We only eat "out" at a restaurant with a patio, and we specify a table outside. I posted the study about community spread in Wuhan, with contact tracking they figured out several cases linked to indoor AC. No one wears a mask while eating.

Yesterday, 4 of us met up for Brunch at KeKe’s Cafe. They only have booths. Every other booth was closed. On the opposite wall, every other booth was closed. Effectively, you only had people in booths diagonally from you, if that makes sense.

All employees wore masks at all times. You waited outside to be seated. The booths were cleaned with paper towels and bleach in between customers.

When you unwrapped your silverware, there was a packet of salt & pepper. You had to ask for sweetener, like Splenda. They brought the wire basket with jelly and an assortment of condiments to the table. All containers were small. They seemed to be doing a good business. The other restaurants nearby seemed like they were busy but not swamped.

No way. We only eat "out" at a restaurant with a patio, and we specify a table outside. I posted the study about community spread in Wuhan, with contact tracking they figured out several cases linked to indoor AC. No one wears a mask while eating.

Indoor ventilation systems have been linked to other illnesses besides COVID-19. I'm sure you know about Legionnaires disease. Legionnaires' disease - Symptoms and causes

Restaurants are not the only indoor spaces that have A/C, heating, fans, other types of ventilation. If air-conditioned venues are a primary source of coronavirus, we are all doomed because A/C is everywhere. I don't think that I will be any less safe in a restaurant that takes major precautions to keep patrons safe than when I go physical therapy at an outpatient hospital facility, a supermarket, a pharmacy. Employees are wearing masks in all venues, but there are patrons who are not following local and/or state guidelines about wearing protective face coverings. As time goes by and more restrictions are loosened, I'm sure there will be many more people who will not wear masks. If Covid is spread easily through interior ventilation systems, anyone who enters a public space will be at risk.

Indoor ventilation systems have been linked to other illnesses besides COVID-19. I'm sure you know about Legionnaires disease. Legionnaires' disease - Symptoms and causes

Restaurants are not the only indoor spaces that have A/C, heating, fans, other types of ventilation. If air-conditioned venues are a primary source of coronavirus, we are all doomed because A/C is everywhere. I don't think that I will be any less safe in a restaurant that takes major precautions to keep patrons safe than when I go physical therapy at an outpatient hospital facility, a supermarket, a pharmacy. Employees are wearing masks in all venues, but there are patrons who are not following local and/or state guidelines about wearing protective face coverings. As time goes by and more restrictions are loosened, I'm sure there will be many more people who will not wear masks. If Covid is spread easily through interior ventilation systems, anyone who enters a public space will be at risk.

The difference though, is that at a restaurant, people don't have a mask on at all. When you go to PT, stores, other places, you are at least somewhat more protected because of wearing a mask. Better than nothing.

The difference though, is that at a restaurant, people don't have a mask on at all. When you go to PT, stores, other places, you are at least somewhat more protected because of wearing a mask. Better than nothing.

I can't speak to what the practices are in other places, but in Michigan, all restaurant employees must wear masks, so it's not fair to say that "people in a restaurant don't have a mask on at all". Michigan restaurant restrictions limit restaurants to only 50% capacity so that patrons are seated in accordance with state-mandated social distancing. If DH and I think that the restaurant environment is unsafe, we will leave. We've basically stayed in our home for three months with limited ventures out for food, prescriptions and/or other necessities, and my physical therapy visits. We can't spend the rest of our lives never leaving the house.

Mine is more like covid-25 and counting ...

Just outdoors where it’s dog friendly so far - I have ordered take out and picked it up and they wore masks to bring the food out -not sure I’m ready for dine in but I sure miss the luxury of it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nithila