Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up another veggie CSA today. Garlic scapes are in season now. I'm making a batch of garlic scape pesto this afternoon: Garlic Scape Pesto

Since it's hot this weekend, I'll likely be mixing the pesto into some kind of chicken salad or potato salad or pasta salad. Yum.

I'd never heard of or seen garlic scapes, but that pesto looks delicious :)

So, did you not have an adverse reaction to the sunchokes? :D

They are definitely a fibrous vegetable. My husband says that he will pass on the next batch.

Interesting, because they are so small, that they pack so much fiber. We didn't even have that many, maybe 5 each, sliced, roasted. I even tasted a few slices raw. Crunchy, sweet.

I just finished making pasta salad that we will nosh on for the next few days. It took exactly one hour to put the humongous salad together while I watched Food Network's The Kitchen (love this show!). I don't recall when I first made the pasta salad, but I think I saw the recipe in a magazine and have made it for years. I always use the same basic ingredients, and the salad is colorful and very satisfying. I have occasionally added cubed salami and Provolone cheese, and I sometimes include sliced scallions or chopped chives.

1# pasta (I like farfalle, rotini, or penne) cooked al dente per package directions
1 large broccoli crown cut into florettes and blanched or steamed until tender
20 oz. can chick peas, drained and rinsed
15 oz. can pitted black olives, drained, halved
8 oz. jar marinated artichoke hearts cut into bite size pieces, reserve marinade
10 oz. carton grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
salt, pepper, fresh chopped herbs to taste
1 bottle Italian or Greek vinaigrette plus reserved artichoke marinade

Prepare all ingredients and toss together in large bowl. Add enough vinaigrette to thoroughly coat pasta and veggies. Salad is best when allowed to stand for a few hours. Add more dressing if needed. My pasta salad has always received rave reviews :) We don't do photo sharing, but my salad looks gorgeous in a big white bowl.
I love pasta salad! I make Greek with bow ties black / kalamata olives, cherry tomato, feta cheese with Greek dressing and I chop up red onion and peppercini on the side

I love pasta salad! I make Greek with bow ties black / kalamata olives, cherry tomato, feta cheese with Greek dressing and I chop up red onion and peppercini on the side

I'll have to try your version sometime. Feta is one of the few cheeses that I can enjoy without digestive issues. Good idea to offer the onion and spicy peppers on the side. I'm not crazy about raw onion, and I definitely don't like pepperoncini. DH doesn't like olives and leaves them for me :D

Decided since we aren’t eating out I need to work on my carne asada street taco recipe. First one I tried was a miss. It’s good but not quite right. Will try something else next week. My favorites come from a little minimart place a few blocks from my lab. They are so good and so affordable $2.50 for a good sized street taco. With CoVid I haven’t been frequenting the place so time to try my own recipes. If I come up with something as good, I’ll post it.

Shopping update SWFL:

1st stop was our local Mennonite family grocery store called Detwilers. I love this place. It is impossible to stay 6’ from anyone so I was quick. The carts were sanitized for you. The produce section was plentiful. I got tomatoes and beets. The deli, the fish counter, the meat counters all stocked with great pricing. I didn’t notice any limit signs but I wasn’t looking either. About 50% of the people were masked. I was the only one wearing a glove. I keep my list in my left hand and my gloved hand selects items.

Got in my vehicle and slathered hand sanitizer all over my left hand and the gloved hand, steering wheel, key fob, etc.

2nd stop was Publix. More people wearing masks. Again, I was the only one with a glove. I kept forgetting about the directional arrows on the floor. It wasn’t overly busy tho. I also wasn’t the only one not following the arrows 100%.

I was in the frozen section and the flower clerk saw me going the wrong way. She said something to the effect I was going the wrong direction. I couldn’t quite make out what she said because she was too far away. I was stopping further away to select an item. When I left the aisle I did go the right direction, mainly because I needed to go that way.

The paper aisle had limits. I was able to get my favorite Brawny Pic A Size paper towels. I was also able to get quart size baggies. There were very few choices for TP and tissues but at least there was some on the shelf. I did not see any limits on water. I got 2 cases of water bottles. That will last us a long time unless there is a hurricane. I got a bigger bag of charcoal than I would normally get. It is tax free hurricane prep days thus, I spent more than I normally would.

I get the point of the directional arrows. I admit I struggle with that. The rub is, shopping is exhausting for me. If I am forced to walk circles over and over, I will have to use a ride on cart. By the time I checked out, I really wanted the bagger to take my cart and load my truck. I didn’t dare ask because then he would breathe in my vicinity longer.

I am too tired and nauseous to put everything away. So its sitting all over the kitchen and garage. My kid will do it. I washed up and I’m sipping a soda. I may need a nap already.

I made the jerked pork recipe again but with the chicken leg and thigh quarters that were the only poultry available a few weeks ago. Yum but I wish I would have used more red pepper since I omit the scotch bonnet peppers.
My publix had no TP at all. again. it's been weeks since I've seen any. thanks to you all I got some when it was briefly available online.
I need to use my freezer meats now because of the hurricane season coming up. I did buy two more battery operated fans and will stock up on batteries during our hurricane prep tax holiday. I find grocery shopping exhausting too @PayrollNerd and I'm healthy. sigh.

I made the jerked pork recipe again but with the chicken leg and thigh quarters that were the only poultry available a few weeks ago. Yum but I wish I would have used more red pepper since I omit the scotch bonnet peppers...

Have you ever been to BB's Crabback in Grenada? Their house-made hot sauce is made with scotch bonnet peppers, and it is awesome! I always buy some when we visit for lunch while cruising.

Have you ever been to BB's Crabback in Grenada? Their house-made hot sauce is made with scotch bonnet peppers, and it is awesome! I always buy some when we visit for lunch while cruising.
No I haven't - I've been afraid of using the "real" peppers because I'm not sure of how spicy it is - I do think when I made it many years ago I used the real peppers (that's what my notes say) but the audience liked a lot of spice- now, not so much.

^ Thank you for sharing your shopping experience, PayrollNerd. Please take it easy for the remainder of the day. You are always in my thoughts and prayers.
Thank you so much. I did take a nap. The nausea eased off. I was able to eat some cottage cheese and a tomato, a few tortilla chips and some vanilla wafers.

Tomorrow my A/C is being replaced. I think my feeling crummy today is maybe related to my house being 87 degrees and outside being 90 degrees. The rain moved thru and is cooler in here now.

Shopping update SWFL:

1st stop was our local Mennonite family grocery store called Detwilers. I love this place. It is impossible to stay 6’ from anyone so I was quick. The carts were sanitized for you. The produce section was plentiful. I got tomatoes and beets. The deli, the fish counter, the meat counters all stocked with great pricing. I didn’t notice any limit signs but I wasn’t looking either. About 50% of the people were masked. I was the only one wearing a glove. I keep my list in my left hand and my gloved hand selects items.

Got in my vehicle and slathered hand sanitizer all over my left hand and the gloved hand, steering wheel, key fob, etc.

2nd stop was Publix. More people wearing masks. Again, I was the only one with a glove. I kept forgetting about the directional arrows on the floor. It wasn’t overly busy tho. I also wasn’t the only one not following the arrows 100%.

I was in the frozen section and the flower clerk saw me going the wrong way. She said something to the effect I was going the wrong direction. I couldn’t quite make out what she said because she was too far away. I was stopping further away to select an item. When I left the aisle I did go the right direction, mainly because I needed to go that way.

The paper aisle had limits. I was able to get my favorite Brawny Pic A Size paper towels. I was also able to get quart size baggies. There were very few choices for TP and tissues but at least there was some on the shelf. I did not see any limits on water. I got 2 cases of water bottles. That will last us a long time unless there is a hurricane. I got a bigger bag of charcoal than I would normally get. It is tax free hurricane prep days thus, I spent more than I normally would.

I get the point of the directional arrows. I admit I struggle with that. The rub is, shopping is exhausting for me. If I am forced to walk circles over and over, I will have to use a ride on cart. By the time I checked out, I really wanted the bagger to take my cart and load my truck. I didn’t dare ask because then he would breathe in my vicinity longer.

I am too tired and nauseous to put everything away. So its sitting all over the kitchen and garage. My kid will do it. I washed up and I’m sipping a soda. I may need a nap already.
Well done! I can't keep track of the arrows either.

I've been making this marinara sauce for probably 20 years. It has very few ingredients, and it is AMAZING. I just found it on the NYT website, so I thought I would share. It has 5 stars and over 5000 reviews. I've made it with both canned and fresh tomatoes.

Marcella Hazan’s Tomato Sauce Recipe

I shared your recipe on the Grocery shopping thread with other recently posted tomato sauce recipes :)

Last edited:
I shared your recipe on the Grocery shopping thread with other recently posted tomato sauce recipes :)

TY :) Another favorite from Marcella Hazan is this pork loin recipe--only 5 ingredients and it is ridiculously good. I would never have tried it on my own--pork with milk sounds like a weird combo, but my mom made it once and, since then, I've made it many times.

Pork Loin Braised in Milk

Prep time
10 mins
Cook time
90 mins
Total time
1 hour 40 mins

Serves: 6
Ingredients
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 pounds pork loin
  • 2½ cups milk
  • sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Instructions
  1. Sprinkle sea salt and freshly ground pepper all over the loin. Pat it in with your hand.
  2. Put the butter and oil in a enameled or heavy-bottemed pot that fits the loin snugly over medium-high heat.
  3. When the butter foam subsides add the meat fat side down.
  4. Brown the loin thoroughly on all sides. Lower the heat if the butter turns dark brown.
  5. Slowly add the milk to the pot.
  6. When the milk comes to a boil reduce the heat to medium-low or even low to keep the milk at a low simmer, cover the pot with the lid a bit askew.
  7. Cook the loin slowly until the meat is fork-tender, about 1½ to 2 hours.
  8. Turn and baste the loin occasionally and if needed add more milk.
  9. By the time the loin is cooked the milk should have coagulated into small nut-brown clusters on the bottom of the pan. (If it is still pale remove the loin, uncover the pot, raise the heat and cook briskly until the milk bits darken.)
  10. Remove the loin and let it rest for about 5 minutes before slicing.
  11. Skim all the fat from the pot. Add a few tablespoons of water to the pan and scrape up all the residue on the bottom of the pot as the water evaporates. Taste the pan sauce and add more salt and black pepper if desired.
  12. Cut the loin into half-inch slices and arrange them on a serving platter.
  13. Spoon the pan sauce over the slices and serve immediately.

I've been making this marinara sauce for probably 20 years. It has very few ingredients, and it is AMAZING. I just found it on the NYT website, so I thought I would share. It has 5 stars and over 5000 reviews. I've made it with both canned and fresh tomatoes.

Marcella Hazan’s Tomato Sauce Recipe
Every time I click on the link, it wants me to sign up. If I click No Thanks it takes me to the home page. Do you have access to the actual recipe?

Every time I click on the link, it wants me to sign up. If I click No Thanks it takes me to the home page. Do you have access to the actual recipe?

EASY
Marcella Hazan’s Tomato Sauce
THE NEW YORK TIMES
YIELD4 servings
TIME1 hour
Save to Recipe Box
EmailShare on PinterestShare on Facebook0:58
Marcella Hazan's Tomato Sauce
Suzy Allman for The New York Times

This is perhaps the most famous recipe created by Marcella Hazan, the cookbook author who changed how Americans cook Italian food. It also may be her easiest. Use your favorite canned tomatoes for this and don’t be scared off by the butter. It gives the sauce an unparalleled velvety richness.

Featured in: Tell Us Your Favorite Marcella Hazan Recipe.

LEARN: How to Make Pasta

Cooked 5,225 ratings

INGREDIENTS
2 cups tomatoes, in addition to their juices (for example, a 28-ounce can of San Marzano whole peeled tomatoes)
5 tablespoons butter
1 onion, peeled and cut in half
Salt
Add to Your Grocery List
Ingredient Substitution Guide
Nutritional Information
PREPARATION
Combine the tomatoes, their juices, the butter and the onion halves in a saucepan. Add a pinch or two of salt.
Place over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Cook, uncovered, for about 45 minutes. Stir occasionally, mashing any large pieces of tomato with a spoon. Add salt as needed.
Discard the onion before tossing the sauce with pasta. This recipe makes enough sauce for a pound of pasta.

EASY
Marcella Hazan’s Tomato Sauce
THE NEW YORK TIMES
YIELD4 servings
TIME1 hour
Save to Recipe Box
EmailShare on PinterestShare on Facebook0:58
Marcella Hazan's Tomato Sauce
Suzy Allman for The New York Times

This is perhaps the most famous recipe created by Marcella Hazan, the cookbook author who changed how Americans cook Italian food. It also may be her easiest. Use your favorite canned tomatoes for this and don’t be scared off by the butter. It gives the sauce an unparalleled velvety richness.

Featured in: Tell Us Your Favorite Marcella Hazan Recipe.

LEARN: How to Make Pasta

Cooked 5,225 ratings

INGREDIENTS
2 cups tomatoes, in addition to their juices (for example, a 28-ounce can of San Marzano whole peeled tomatoes)
5 tablespoons butter
1 onion, peeled and cut in half
Salt
Add to Your Grocery List
Ingredient Substitution Guide
Nutritional Information
PREPARATION
Combine the tomatoes, their juices, the butter and the onion halves in a saucepan. Add a pinch or two of salt.
Place over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Cook, uncovered, for about 45 minutes. Stir occasionally, mashing any large pieces of tomato with a spoon. Add salt as needed.
Discard the onion before tossing the sauce with pasta. This recipe makes enough sauce for a pound of pasta.
Thank you!!!

So interesting that they don’t even dice the onion! I can see substituting the butter for olive oil. But my one kid can’t have butter so I’d either have to use olive oil or her “butter.”

Thank you!!!

So interesting that they don’t even dice the onion! I can see substituting the butter for olive oil. But my one kid can’t have butter so I’d either have to use olive oil or her “butter.”

I'm lactose intolerant and would not be able to enjoy this sauce without taking Lactaid :( The butter probably makes the sauce very luxurious :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hernak